• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only doing it so that people don't remember his last fight being him just running around the ring.

1432496120.jpg

CEFiVPeVIAEvlw4.jpg

Totally running away.

Floyd's beaten everyone we could throw at him

De La Hoya
Hatton
Marquez
Mosley
Ortiz
Cotto
Canelo
Maidana
Pac

He has nothing left to prove at this point. He can just get a nice easy tune-up in Berto and then chase the money with one last big bout and finish career with a clean 50-0. Probably Pac II

Can we please stop giving this guy attention?

Who, Floyd? One of the best boxers of all time and our era? 48-0. Technically brilliant. Him? Lol.

I call bullshit.

Anyway, I'm not buying this one and I hope no one else does. Kill the hype machine please.

Same as above. Plus lol - Khan? He really won't have much at all either. Better than berto but I won't even pretend that Khan has much of a chance either.

He's only doing it so that people don't remember his last fight being him just running around the ring.

1432496120.jpg

"Dancing around the ring"

Painfully obvious you don't regularly watch boxing.

see5harp

He was fucking Garcia up until that point though. That's what happens. He gets carried away and gets hurt by a big punch. Never a dull fight though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm not a fan of Mayweather but he is incredible. I think he's the best in the sport since Roy Jones Jr. and I always love seeing him fight. Pure technical perfection.

That said, this is a shitty fucking fight. Goddamn. Berto? Really?

El Topo

I'm not a fan of Mayweather but he is incredible. I think he's the best in the sport since Roy Jones Jr. and I always love seeing him fight. Pure technical perfection.

That said, this is a shitty fucking fight. Goddamn. Berto? Really?

Roy Jones Jr. wasn't even the best in the sport when he was in his prime.

Frog-fu

Banned
Khan has the speed to contend with Mayweather, but not the technique to make much use of it. Worse yet, he doesn't have the knockout power. Khan hasn't knocked anyone out in 4 years; many suspect he just doesn't have that kind of hitting power in him anymore, which is pretty bad considering he's only 28.

3Sixty

Khan has the speed to contend with Mayweather, but not the technique to make much use of it. Worse yet, he doesn't have the knockout power. Khan hasn't knocked anyone out in 4 years; many suspect he just doesn't have that kind of hitting power in him anymore, which is pretty bad considering he's only 28.

I wouldn't say Khan ever really had power. Especially for 147. His KO's were mostly caused by speed and pure number of punches. Now he's fighting more economical he won't be getting many KO's throwing 1 and 2 punch combos. And hes NEVER getting a decision over Floyd in Vegas.

Khan should have been his final fight.

He has the hand-speed to trouble Mayweather and isn't as naive as he used to be.

Oh well.

El Topo

....who was?

I honestly struggle to find a year where I would call him the greatest boxer in the world, but I guess we could just take 1994, when he beat Toney and won Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year?

Eh, fair enough, he might've been best in 1994. I give him that. Can't think of too many that were better at the time, although I admit that I know virtually nothing about the really low weight classes. Felix Trinidad maybe? The other years? More than enough competition.

King Kovu

I really don't think this is his, last there have been rumor's of him signing a contract extension for three more fights.

Compubox stats mean fuckall to Mayweather -- he's a counter puncher through and through and has used that style to his advantage throughout his career. Just because he doesn't through haymakers like Tyson or dance like Ali, doesn't mean he isn't absolutely dominant.

And he certainly won't lose sleep over the public not approving of the opponents in his fight, because he knows you'll still pay. Money talks.

pixelation

Oh man, talk about going out with a whimper... nobody's gonna buy this, hell i won't even watch it for free, i'll just check the results the next day.

NastyBook

It's called counter punching. Dodging your opponent's punch to not get hit while punishing them for punching you back as well.
hcXtBKI.gif
Question: Would it have been impossible for him to get a body shot after he ducked the second punch? Or would that have been too risky?

Roy Jones Jr. wasn't even the best in the sport when he was in his prime.

Roy Jones Jr. was unbeatable at super-middleweight.

The man ran through everyone at that weight class without losing a single round for over a year before he moved up to light-heavyweight.

Frog-fu

Banned
I wouldn't say Khan ever really had power. Especially for 147. His KO's were mostly caused by speed and pure number of punches. Now he's fighting more economical he won't be getting many KO's throwing 1 and 2 punch combos. And hes NEVER getting a decision over Floyd in Vegas.

Sure he did. Khan was never a heavy hitter, but he had knockout power at his disposal. You know they used to call Mayweather a power puncher when they still called him Pretty Boy? Mayweather didn't get those knockouts on pure luck, and he used to knock his opponents out beautifully, but I think Khan had more power than May did.

El Topo

Roy Jones Jr. was unbeatable at super-middleweight.

The man ran through everyone at that weight class without losing a single round for over a year before he moved up to light-heavyweight.

This is his title run at Super Middleweight:
James Toney
Antoine Byrd
Vinny Pazienza
Tony Thornton
Merqui Sosa
Eric Lucas
Bryant Brannon

If we leave out Toney that is not what I would call an impressive run. Unbeatable? I'm sorry, what the fuck? I guess you could blame the division, but he also didn't unify the titles, nor fight Chris Eubank. In fact he switched quickly to another division. His super middleweight run makes Golovkin's resume look amazing. Jones is nonetheless an all-time great.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Floyd would beat the dog shit out of Khan and I can't believe people really want to see that fight.

I'll buy this fight and watch it just to support Floyd but his career is coming to an end and there's really nobody left for him to fight. It is what it is.

pulsemyne

Floyd would beat the dog shit out of Khan and I can't believe people really want to see that fight.

I'll buy this fight and watch it just to support Floyd but his career is coming to an end and there's really nobody left for him to fight. It is what it is.

There's both khan and Kell Brook as very live opponents who have actually won fights recently. Instead Floyd chooses a man who lost his last three. If your claiming to be the best in the world then you take on the top fighters out there.

This is his title run at Super Middleweight:
James Toney
Antoine Byrd
Vinny Pazienza
Tony Thornton
Merqui Sosa
Eric Lucas
Bryant Brannon

If we leave out Toney that is not what I would call an impressive run. Unbeatable? I'm sorry, what the fuck? I guess you could blame the division, but he also didn't unify the titles, nor fight Chris Eubank. In fact he switched quickly to another division. His super middleweight run makes Golovkin's resume look amazing. Jones is nonetheless an all-time great.

Blame the division. Fact is, he spanked all of them, with some of those fights without losing a single round.

Chris Eubank was happy and content with his contract with SKY. Roy didn't want to go overseas, and Eubank wouldn't come here. Thus, why the fight never happened.

Cj01

CEFiVPeVIAEvlw4.jpg

Totally running away.

Can these stats be misleading since boxing is judged by rounds? So technically I can fight someone and out punch them by 45 punches in two different rounds win those two rounds by 9/10 but then get out punched by 2 or 3 punchs each of the next rounds and lose the fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom