• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Blame the division. Fact is, he spanked all of them, with some of those fights without losing a single round.

Is that supposed to be impressive, given his fights? Are you really telling me wins over guys like Merqui Sosa or Eric Lucas count much?

Chris Eubank was happy and content with his contract with SKY. Roy didn't want to go overseas, and Eubank wouldn't come here. Thus, why the fight never happened.

Similar reason why he never fought Michalczewski maybe? I find it weird to call someone unbeatable that didn't even unify super middleweight belts or fight arguably the toughest competitor though.

the same Eubank that said fighting Jones (or Toney for that matter) in their primes would have been suicide? cool story though

So I take it you admit his title run was disappointing and that he didn't unify any titles, nor fight the biggest competition (such as Eubank or Benn), but instead guys like Eric Lucas?
Regarding the quote, I vaguely recall him (Eubank) saying he would've lost to Toney, but not much else. You don't happen to have a link, do you?

uhhh only thing that stopped roy jones jr was trying to have a rap career then moving up in weight class. He was a bigger sensation and Golden Boy when he broke out.

He deserves enormous respect for his accomplishments, no doubt. Winning titles in these weight classes is an incredible achievement. That said, he avoided some very good competition in super middleweight and heavyweight. His light heavyweight run is arguably his best by far, even if he didn't fight Michalczewski.

If you take a look at his actual resume, not the hype or legend, it's hard to make a case for him as the best fighter for most of his career (which might be unfair given his divisions). He's still an all-time great, because winning in all these weight classes is incredible, even if the competition wasn't always the best.

Lol imagine if he loses, the shitstorm he'll kick.

He won't lose though, too good for anyone.

Also was all know PRINCE NAS is the GOAT baybay.

Tenebrous

and berto can?

Berto doesn't have a chance in hell. Brook & Thurman have a punchers chance at best (and that is a maybe, MAYBE, because of May's age - but he didn't show it against Manny), but no-one at 147 comes close to the women beating tosser.

GGG won't fight andre ward without a catch weight. That's who he should be fighting.

GGG should be unifying the MW division, but nope, Cotto going to sit on that fucking belt while never fighting above 155.

even though it seemed that way Floyd's strategy tore down Manny, it was interesting to see Floyd's counterpunching at work. Everyone expected a fast flurry and win by Manny but it didn't materialize. Instead it was a "shoulder" issue.
He may have seemed like running but even as Lennox Lewis said "it's textbook Mayweather"

H1JSp0r.jpg

REjSXeZ.jpg

I blame Rocky and movies like it where dudes are just eating punches for making people believe that's really what boxing is like.

Tenebrous

I blame Rocky and movies like it where dudes are just eating punches for making people believe that's really what boxing is like.

Pretty much. I understand that mega fights often transcend your typical boxing audience, but honestly, I don't care what the casuals have to say.

TuXx

Berto doesn't have a chance in hell. Brook & Thurman have a punchers chance at best (and that is a maybe, MAYBE, because of May's age - but he didn't show it against Manny), but no-one at 147 comes close to the women beating tosser.

I don't know if Floyd is just that good or if the talent level at 140 to 147 ain't as good people think it is.

Guys like Thurman, Khan and Garcia are good fighters, but if they're not fighting a corpse or a cab driver, they'll look average at best. At 37 there has to be someone that's a threat to Floyd. With the current landscape of boxing, Floyd can fight till he's 40 and still be undefeated.

Tenebrous

I don't know if Floyd is just that good or if the talent level at 140 to 147 ain't as good people think it is.

Guys like Thurman, Khan and Garcia are good fighters, but if they're not fighting a corpse or a cab driver, they'll look average at best. At 37 there has to be someone that's a threat to Floyd. With the current landscape of boxing, Floyd can fight till he's 40 and still be undefeated.

He's beaten some genuine ATG's in ODLH, JMM & Manny, but the gap is bigger than ever between him and the top challengers, I agree. He's kinda like welterweights own Wladimir. People can say he's boring, but he never looks troubled, and puts every challenger down when given the fight.

He's beaten some genuine ATG's in ODLH, JMM & Manny, but the gap is bigger than ever between him and the top challengers, I agree. He's kinda like welterweights own Wladimir. People can say he's boring, but he never looks troubled, and puts every challenger down when given the fight.

Wlad looked awful against Jennings and will hit the deck against Fury, so..

Yh at the end of the day Mayweather is simply a cut above most boxers this generation, any weight class he was at he's won, and he's not truly been troubled apart from that punch from Mosley which he overcame incredibly.
All said it'll be good for boxing once Mayweather retires from the sport, I'm tired of all this ducking, hypocrisy (talking about being pioneer for cleaning up the sport and giving steroid user Berto a chance) etc etc and all the other negatives he brings to boxing.

Tenebrous

I've been following Fury's career for 5 years now. I think he's a very entertaining fighter (at times), and his personality never ceases to make me laugh...

But Wlad will (most likely) destroy him.

El Topo

I think he's still the favorite against Fury, who hasn't really beaten anyone of note other than Chisora, but age is clearly catching up with Klitschko.
Fun fact: Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record for most heavyweight title fights when he steps into the right against Fury.

I don't blame Floyd one bit.

He wants to retire rich and, more importantly, healthy. He's an athlete in the most violent professional sport, and people expect him to run through a buzzsaw every match only to eventually end up like virtually every other boxer that did so -- a vegetable 10 years after the fact.

I've been following Fury's career for 5 years now. I think he's a very entertaining fighter (at times), and his personality never ceases to make me laugh...

But Wlad will (most likely) destroy him.

Destroy eh? I had the Jennings fight almost even going into the last round (had Wlad like 1 round ahead and he won the 12th as well). Fury is the real deal and will clown Wlad.

Tenebrous

Destroy eh? I had the Jennings fight almost even going into the last round (had Wlad like 1 round ahead and he won the 12th as well). Fury is the real deal and will clown Wlad.

Fury needs to make a similar step up to the one he made for Chisora II to stand a chance, in my opinion.

El Topo

Official score cards were 116-111,116-111,118-109, which includes a point deduction for Klitschko. Far from even. Fury is promising, but he hasn't fought impressive competition yet.
He didn't look great against Jennings, but he destroyed Pulev just a few months before that. That said, decline is inevitable for Klitschko.

Is that supposed to be impressive, given his fights? Are you really telling me wins over guys like Merqui Sosa or Eric Lucas count much?

Yes it is because past champions fought cans and those cans still took a few rounds.

Similar reason why he never fought Michalczewski maybe? I find it weird to call someone unbeatable that didn't even unify super middleweight belts or fight arguably the toughest competitor though.

Why do people always bring up Michalczewski against Jones? None of the Euro champions didn't stand a chance against a prime Roy. Plus, Roy was always hesitant to go overseas because of his robbery of gold in the Seoul 88' Olympics.

This left a lasting impression on him throughout his career. Roy beat Park-Si hun from pillar to post, and the judges still had the nerve to give it to the hometown favorite.

Roy didn't want any fight in Europe for fear that he could only win by KO.

El Topo

Who was better than Roy during his prime? He was P4P the best in the game....

I think it's safe to say that he wasn't best in the world from at least 1999 onwards and his professional career wasn't particularly important before 1994. That leaves 1994-1998.

In that time period you also have the rise of Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. I don't think too highly of the heavyweight division of the 90s, but you could probably also make a case for Holyfield and Lewis. For those that like British boxers you might even bring up Naseem Hamed.

I'm sorry, but as historic and impressive as his title wins in multiple weight classes have been, I have a hard time calling him the best in the world due to his resume and competition. Obviously if one applies different standards one can come to other conclusions.

Yes it is because past champions fought cans and those cans still took a few rounds.

Have you even taken a look at the boxing record of Roy Jones Jr? It's not as if he was a never-before-seen knockout machine and it's not as if he fought incredible opposition (most of the time).

Why do people always bring up Michalczewski against Jones?

Because he was essentially the biggest competitor in the light heavyweight division he didn't fight (from what I remember)? Obviously it's probable Michalczewski didn't want the fight either.
Do I think Jones would've won? Yes. Doesn't change the fact he didn't fight him.

None of the Euro champions didn't stand a chance against a prime Roy.

How convenient that he never boxed any of them.

How convenient that he never boxed any of them.

Eubank was content on staying with SKY and Michalczewski wanted the fight on his turf. Michalczewski knew if it went to decision he would've got the hometown treatment.

The fact that Roy has a win over Hopkins is more impressive than any opponent the Euro champions faced.

Hopkins would go on to break Monzon's record of 15 straight middleweight title defenses with his own of 20, become the undisputed middleweight champion after beating Trinidad since Hagler in 87', and became the oldest boxer to win a championship at 46.

And yet Roy beat him 8-4 easily and at Hopkins prime weight.

El Topo

The fact that Roy has a win over Hopkins is more impressive than any opponent the Euro champions faced.

Those champions Jones totally would've beaten if he had ever fought any of them. Sure. I don't even really doubt it, but he didn't fight them.

I'm not really sure how to rate his win over Hopkins, because I honestly don't know much about the early career of Hopkins. It's worth pointing out though that Hopkins was far from his prime and hadn't really fought top competition before the fight against Jones.

I'll be there!
When it hits Youtube

This is all bullshit anyways. Pac/Floyd 2 will obviously be the last fight. Why would he pass on 50-0 and another 200mil check?

If this really is Money's final fight, it would be the height of foolishness to defend the choice if you truly consider yourself a fan of the sport. No, it's not necessary to find the absolute "best" opponent (however that's defined) every single fight, but it is equal parts unsatisfying and apropos that Mayweather would actually choose Andre Berto to tie Marciano's record. Really, using Berto for #49 and his supposed swansong is symbolic of the path he chose to get there, and illustrates why sometimes a "0" isn't everything the casual audience extols it to be.

And yes, Floyd probably would beat all of the current best at 140 and 147. A greater likelihood of beating a better fighter shouldn't encourage choice of a lesser opponent. Woe to boxing, if so.

In actuality, this will not be his last fight, and Berto is likely just a "stay busy" fight to ensure he's set up for #50 in the spring, free of contractual obligations and able to name his price anywhere he chooses. We will see a better opponent then.

Also, reading through some of these comments about RJJ not being the best in his prime got my head spinning hard. I think I've seen it all.

abuC

I think it's safe to say that he wasn't best in the world from at least 1999 onwards and his professional career wasn't particularly important before 1994. That leaves 1994-1998.

In that time period you also have the rise of Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. I don't think too highly of the heavyweight division of the 90s, but you could probably also make a case for Holyfield and Lewis. For those that like British boxers you might even bring up Naseem Hamed.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-06-23/sports/1995174141_1_jones-pound-for-pound-punches
http://www.si.com/vault/1995/06/26/...ed-under-the-rules-of-cockfighting-win-or-die

Articles from 1995, he was widely recognized as the best P4P fighter in the world by then. He embarrassed James Toney who was undefeated at the time, beat Hopkins with 1 hand and basically squashed anyone that was put in-front of him.

The only other guy that had a case from 94-96 was Sweet Pea, Oscar was all hype.

av2k

I'll be there!
When it hits Youtube

This is all bullshit anyways. Pac/Floyd 2 will obviously be the last fight. Why would he pass on 50-0 and another 200mil check?

I'm going to have to agree with this but if he doesn't go for pac/floyd 2, he might be more conscious about his record than originally thought.. more so than another 200 mil payday. Time will tell but I can see it going either way to be honest.

Tekniqs

So I take it you admit his title run was disappointing and that he didn't unify any titles, nor fight the biggest competition (such as Eubank or Benn), but instead guys like Eric Lucas?
Regarding the quote, I vaguely recall him (Eubank) saying he would've lost to Toney, but not much else. You don't happen to have a link, do you?

He deserves enormous respect for his accomplishments, no doubt. Winning titles in these weight classes is an incredible achievement. That said, he avoided some very good competition in super middleweight and heavyweight. His light heavyweight run is arguably his best by far, even if he didn't fight Michalczewski.

If you take a look at his actual resume, not the hype or legend, it's hard to make a case for him as the best fighter for most of his career (which might be unfair given his divisions). He's still an all-time great, because winning in all these weight classes is incredible, even if the competition wasn't always the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBw_q1rCa40

"i was happy just being one of the best.......why would I want to fight a man like roy jones in his prime?"

People always bring up DM. Jones was the belt holder and the bigger draw yet DM didn't want to travel to the US to fight? Jones, regarded as the best fighter in the sport, has to fly out to Germany? HBO offered up money to DM and it was turned down. BTW, DM ends up losing to Julio Gonzalez, a man that Jones blanketed 12-0.

didn't unify SMW? Jones goes up in weight to fight the regarded lb for lb king at the time (james toney) and beats him 12-0. Toney was THE man at that time and Roy easily dismantled him. He beat THE champ at SMW. He really didn't need to prove anything more.

BTW, there's an interview of Roy Jones in the middle of the right before his fight with Bryant Brannon (IIRC) and he was asked about these Euro champions. He pretty much said he and HBO had offered those guys the fight but some turned it down and others priced themselves out. I'll have to try to find a link to it as I haven't watched that video in years.

Roy's career wasn't important before 1994? oh you mean when he beat BHop? also, he fought and KO'd a guy named Thulani Malinga. Dude split fights with your Benn and took Eubank to an SD.

1994-98...Toney, McCallum, Griffin, Hill were all good wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom