• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayweather da gawd.

People who are upset about the contender should state who they would rather have him fight.

I still think there will be 50th fight.

I'll concede Mayweather is a brilliant boxer and athlete. But his fights are boring as dogshit now. When he was younger he could move and knock mofos out cold. Now? He relies on his experience to carry him the distance and get the decision.

Good strategy to get the W. But boring to behold.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'll concede Mayweather is a brilliant boxer and athlete. But his fights are boring as dogshit now. When he was younger he could move and knock mofos out cold. Now? He relies on his experience to carry him the distance and get the decision.

Good strategy to get the W. But boring to behold.

Mayweather broke his hands too many times, he ain't downing his opponents no more with shots to the body like he did to Sharmba Mitchell and he ain't knocking out anyone that remotely poses a threat like Hatton.

They used to call Mayweather a power hitter, now they say he can't hit - which is true, to an extent. However, what makes him such a great fighter is the fact he adapted so well to losing strength by sharpening his speed and reflexes. This motherfucker moving like he got bullet time in the ring when he dodges and counters and humiliates his opponents with shots that, were he still capable of it, would have knocked them out. Best part is they all know it.

I understand Mayweather ain't the flashiest fighter around, he plays the game safe, which makes him boring in the eyes of many, but the way I see it: we got plenty of power hitters in the game, but none that understand the sweet science as intimately as Mayweather. That's what makes him the best. Not his record, not the money he makes or the number of belt he has. It's his undeniable skill as a boxer.

I also gotta say I think it's unfair how Mayweather is the one that gets all the blame for uneventful fights. He ain't supposed to get hit, and it takes two box. He can't help it if none of his opponents could impose their will on him.

There's both khan and Kell Brook as very live opponents who have actually won fights recently. Instead Floyd chooses a man who lost his last three. If your claiming to be the best in the world then you take on the top fighters out there.

He already did. Everyone left is a scrub compared to him.

Mayweather would die if he fought ippo.

Mayweather da gawd.

People who are upset about the contender should state who they would rather have him fight.

I still think there will be 50th fight.
there are literally 19 other guys at welterweight that are a better fight than this(berto is ranked 20th at welterweight)

harSon

Banned
Mayweather would get his shit pushed in if he fought IPPO.

Naw bruh, Money would stick to the script unlike:

latest

highrider

Banned
He's just a boring fighter. I boxed, I understand counter punching, fundamental boxing movement and the " sweet science ".

It doesn't make his fights any less of a bore though. He also has historically avoided aggressive fighters with speed and power in their prime.

I know the experience gap was way too big from Mayweather vs Canelo 1, but I do think a rematch would be a great fight with how much experience Canelo has gained since then. The guy is an absolute beast these days.

CEnRUFIWMAAdtps.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
He's just a boring fighter. I boxed, I understand counter punching, fundamental boxing movement and the " sweet science ".

It doesn't make his fights any less of a bore though. He also has historically avoided aggressive fighters with speed and power in their prime.

Like who?

BadAss2961

This argument should've died when he took the Canelo fight. Young, hungry, bigger dude with skill and power that looks like a future legend.

About Sep. 12, I think Floyd's looking ahead to 50-0. Berto's not exactly a squash, but a tuneup fight.

TheFatOne

Question: Would it have been impossible for him to get a body shot after he ducked the second punch? Or would that have been too risky?

Too risky. He would have to stop moving for a split second,and it would open him up for a counter hook after the body shot. Don't want to do that with a guy that has power.

AlexBasch

Endurance match, MK1 style. If he can survive six rounds, then throw Canelo for the last six. 50-0 in one go.

What? I can say stupid bullshit as well, sue me.

I know the experience gap was way too big from Mayweather vs Canelo 1, but I do think a rematch would be a great fight with how much experience Canelo has gained since then. The guy is an absolute beast these days.

CEnRUFIWMAAdtps.jpg

It was wonderful to behold, and I think Canelo is potentially the future, but a win over James Kirkland, especially when not under the tutelage of Anne Wolfe, isn't convincing me he'd suddenly solve Mayweather's defensive puzzle.

FStop7

Banned
Fighting again so soon after Manny, of course he was gonna pick a jobber. The 50th fight will either be a Manny rematch or Khan. Hopefully Khan.

It was wonderful to behold, and I think Canelo is potentially the future, but a win over James Kirkland, especially when not under the tutelage of Anne Wolfe, isn't convincing me he'd suddenly solve Mayweather's defensive puzzle.

Gotta agree, I deff enjoy Canelo, however I don't think anybody is touching Money unless old age slows him down or he goes up in weight. His ring IQ is just too good.

Purexed

Banned
Was hoping for Kell Brook. That kid can go!

The betting odds are so skewed, I was hoping to get some decent odds to plunk down towards Mayweather. Oh well...

Tekniqs

Roy Jones Jr. wasn't even the best in the sport when he was in his prime.

lol

I honestly struggle to find a year where I would call him the greatest boxer in the world, but I guess we could just take 1994, when he beat Toney and won Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year?

Eh, fair enough, he might've been best in 1994. I give him that. Can't think of too many that were better at the time, although I admit that I know virtually nothing about the really low weight classes. Felix Trinidad maybe? The other years? More than enough competition.

lol

Tekniqs

nor fight Chris Eubank. In fact he switched quickly to another division. His super middleweight run makes Golovkin's resume look amazing. Jones is nonetheless an all-time great.

the same Eubank that said fighting Jones (or Toney for that matter) in their primes would have been suicide? cool story though

Takuan

Guys in here calling Berto an easy opponent don't seem to realize that the 48 before him were easy fights. He sure made them look that way, and he'd make Khan look easy as well.

It's easy to hate on him because he's kind of an awful person and doesn't go in there to brawl - but he's a fucking master and there isn't anyone else like him in the history of the sport.

Tenebrous

Mayweather back to doing fights he knows he can win. Total coward.

He beats everyone at 147, and I don't even like the guy. Khan has no chance, Brook & Thurman have a punchers chance.

I'm sick of people bigging up Khan saying he'd give Mayweather trouble. Khan is a pumped up LWW who's done fuck all at 147, and while his speed might be impressive, there's still a gigantic gulf in quality that can't be overcome by the "styles make fights" argument alone.

Guys in here calling Berto an easy opponent don't seem to realize that the 48 before him were easy fights. He sure made them look that way, and he'd make Khan look easy as well.

It's easy to hate on him because he's kind of an awful person and doesn't go in there to brawl - but he's a fucking master and there isn't anyone else like him in the history of the sport.

Castillo wasn't an easy fight. Floyd lost that one.

MVP

Banned
Guys in here calling Berto an easy opponent don't seem to realize that the 48 before him were easy fights.

No, and that's why his opponents weren't all +5000 in Vegas or whatever this joke of a fight will be.

I'll still watch it for free somewhere, and maybe drop a few hundred on Berto just to make me care, but I won't pay for anything short of a rematch against Cotto/Canelo which were good fights, or vs. GGG. Not even interested in a Khan or Thurman fight.

The Beard

Final fight my ass. He's just saying that to maximize his profit for this fight, which no one would give a shit about otherwise.

A Pac-man rematch is guaranteed at this point.

Gair-Ron-Fucking-Teed !!!!!!

Frog-fu

Banned
He beats everyone at 147, and I don't even like the guy. Khan has no chance, Brook & Thurman have a punchers chance.

I'm sick of people bigging up Khan saying he'd give Mayweather trouble. Khan is a pumped up LWW who's done fuck all at 147, and while his speed might be impressive, there's still a gigantic gulf in quality that can't be overcome by the "styles make fights" argument alone.

The peopel bigging up Khan now are the same people that were treating him like a kid barely in puberty trying to sit at the men's table when Pacquiao was still their chosen one.

IrishNinja

even though it seemed that way Floyd's strategy tore down Manny, it was interesting to see Floyd's counterpunching at work. Everyone expected a fast flurry and win by Manny but it didn't materialize. Instead it was a "shoulder" issue.
He may have seemed like running but even as Lennox Lewis said "it's textbook Mayweather"

H1JSp0r.jpg

REjSXeZ.jpg

fuckin thank you, casuals havin a hard time in here

Jarnet87

Berto is coming to kick mayweathers ass. Translation: I'm going to get counterpunched for 12 rounds and collect a nice paycheck.

Final fight my ass. He's just saying that to maximize his profit for this fight, which no one would give a shit about otherwise.

A Pac-man rematch is guaranteed at this point.

Gair-Ron-Fucking-Teed !!!!!!

I would have said the same thing a year ago but he seemed really reserved and sort of tired of the whole process after the Paq fight. His contract with Shotime is over after this and I wouldn't be surprised if he really is done, which explains picking such a cake opponent.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I would have said the same thing a year ago but he seemed really reserved and sort of tired of the whole process after the Paq fight. His contract with Shotime is over after this and I wouldn't be surprised if he really is done, which explains picking such a cake opponent.

That 270 million accelerated this process.

Tenebrous

khan haters are buggin. He is the best opponent for floyd at this juncture due to his speed and skills.

He's a pumped up 140lber with no quality wins at 147 and a chin that can be shook by a child. Speed? Sure. Skills? I guess. Capable of giving Mayweather a close fight? No.

charsace

He doesn't avoid anyone. He fought Canelo who is in his prime and walked right through him.

nib95

Banned
Lol. Wanted a Khan fight. Oh well, guess he wants to end on an uninteresting note, which is oddly fitting.

abuC

CEnRUFIWMAAdtps.jpg

Canelo would get taken to school again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom