• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best P4P fighter in the 90's was easily this guy.

butterbean.jpg

El Topo

Thanks for digging that out, I'll have to watch it when I have the time. That quote sounds different than what you said, but again, no one is saying Jones wasn't feared.

People always bring up DM. Jones was the belt holder and the bigger draw yet DM didn't want to travel to the US to fight? Jones, regarded as the best fighter in the sport, has to fly out to Germany? HBO offered up money to DM and it was turned down. BTW, DM ends up losing to Julio Gonzalez, a man that Jones blanketed 12-0.

I honestly don't rate DM too highly, he has a padded record (similar to many other German boxing champions), I'm just saying Jones didn't fight him at a time when he was considered the second best light heavyweight.

Heck, can't blame him all that much if I look at the decisions Ottke would get years later.

didn't unify SMW? Jones goes up in weight to fight the regarded lb for lb king at the time (james toney) and beats him 12-0. Toney was THE man at that time and Roy easily dismantled him. He beat THE champ at SMW. He really didn't need to prove anything more.

Who regarded Toney as the P4P king in 1994? That said, Jones stayed at SMW for several fights, not fighting the top competition that remained.

Pretty depressing to see that both Toney and Jones are still active. :(

BTW, there's an interview of Roy Jones in the middle of the right before his fight with Bryant Brannon (IIRC) and he was asked about these Euro champions. He pretty much said he and HBO had offered those guys the fight but some turned it down and others priced themselves out. I'll have to try to find a link to it as I haven't watched that video in years.

Ultimately he fought absolutely none of them, for whatever reasons. It definitely taints his legacy.

Roy's career wasn't important before 1994? oh you mean when he beat BHop? also, he fought and KO'd a guy named Thulani Malinga. Dude split fights with your Benn and took Eubank to an SD.

Look at Malinga's box record and tell me with a straight face that the guy that lost to Patrick Tshabalala, Sakkie Horn, Graciano Rocchigiani, John Jarvis, Lindell Holmes, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn before he faced Jones counts as an impressive win. Come on, you're really scraping at the bottom of the barrel with him. Jones beat Hopkins, but as I elaborated earlier, I can't really say how to rate that victory (and given their records at the time I doubt it was touted as a great breakthrough).

Yes, he was among the Top 10 P4P list of TRM for 1993 and if I thought more of them I'd count that as evidence that he was considered great in that year.

1994-98...Toney, McCallum, Griffin, Hill were all good wins.

Toney and Hill were great wins, Griffin was a good win, McCallum was okay. My main issues are with his SMW run.

Why is RJJ still boxing?

Money. Toney is also still active, will fight this Saturday. :(

Tekniqs

Eubank says the 'suicide' quote in the video as well.

Why is the onus on Roy to make the fight? the other guy has to be willing to fight as well don't they? They also have to sign the contract. Say Eubank wasn't willing to fight Roy in his prime. Why does that taint Roy's legacy?

You brought up DM like Roy was avoiding a challenge. There are reasons why the fight didn't happen and that doesn't include Roy was scared or DM was scared. Boxing is still a business and perhaps the money didn't align.

I bring up Malinga because he can be used as barometer as to how Roy would have done against Eubank and Benn. Eubank and Benn struggled with a guy Roy sparked in 6.

My mistake, Toney was actually ranked 2nd in the lb for lb list. Pea was still number 1. Either way, Roy, jumps up a weight division, dominates the 2nd lb for lb fighter in his own weight division. And Toney was THE champ of 168 at the time. That's a great feat in itself.

Then say his SMW run...not his 1994-1998 run.

Roy and Toney should have retired years ago.

RBH

i

If this is Floyd Mayweather's last fight, he's going out with a dud at the box office.

With a little more than four days until Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto at the MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Ticketmaster shows there are more than 2,100 seats available -- and that doesn't even count the tickets that are typically held by the promoters.

That's despite the fact that the face value of this fight -- ranging from $125 to $1,500 -- is significantly lower than the prices for Mayweather's fight in May against Manny Pacquiao.

StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said the leading resale site had an average ticket sale price of $5,095 for Mayweather's fight against Pacquiao, while the average sale for Saturday's fight is more than six times less ($799). As of 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, only 25 seats to the Mayweather-Berto fight had been sold for more than $1,000 on StubHub.

In fact, the site has done a bigger business on the Anthony Joshua-Gary Cornish fight in London on Saturday than Mayweather-Berto.

While hotels in town had raised their prices to more than four times their normal rates for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, there has been no bump for Mayweather-Berto.

Late last week, as ticket sales halted, MGM Hotels started offering more aggressive deals to those who have frequently stayed at their properties. One offer was $1,000 for a two-night stay at the MGM Grand that included two Mayweather-Berto tickets.

The lack of interest in Mayweather's opponent is understandable. Berto has lost three of his last six fights, and many don't believe that this, Mayweather's 49th fight, will be his last because another win after this would allow him to pass Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0.

"This is 100 percent his last fight," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe reiterated to ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Still, gamblers aren't particular intrigued with Mayweather-Berto either. In order to win $1 at the Wynn Sports Book, a bettor favoring Mayweather to win would have to risk $35.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...t-more-2100-seats-available-low-ticket-prices

RBH

I'm the one that created this thread, and my mind was blown when I found out today that this fight is four days from today.

Eila

Everyone I know that watched the Floyd-Pacquiao fight felt robbed out of their money, then he goes and gets this guy, no amount of scandal or calling it your last fight will make it an interesting one.

smurfx

get some go again
mayweather usually manages to create enough controversy/hype to get people to watch his fights but this time around i don't think anybody cares. wonder if mayweather's hardcore fans will bother watching this fight.

The Beard

Everyone I know that watched the Floyd-Pacquiao fight felt robbed out of their money, then he goes and gets this guy, no amount of scandal or calling it your last fight will make it an interesting one.

There is zero hype around this fight. The only reason I even knew the fight was tonight is because I saw them trying to sell it on one of those Pay Per View ordering channels.

The "pinnacle" of modern day boxing turned out to be a fucking dud, then he selects a certified bum for his "final fight". I think everyone and their grandma knows this won't be Floyd's final fight. With spending and gambling habits like his, dude will be fighting for at least 5 more years.

Totally forgot the fight was tonight. No one seems to be buying it, no one seems to be talking about it, and I sure as shit doubt this is Mayweather's last fight. May as well just watch your Tweeter feed for the results.

FTF

So this would be a bigger upset than Serena losing the other day right?

Also, does anyone know a good live blog to follow the fight?

Tenebrous

So this would be a bigger upset than Serena losing the other day right?

Also, does anyone know a good live blog to follow the fight?

This would dwarf any tennis loss in recent memory. It'd be like prime Federer losing in a final against someone outside the top 500.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Someone told me a couple hours ago that this fight was actually tonight. Came to OT, and nothing about here at all whatsoever. Just happened to see this thread just now by passing by.

What a last match to have.

Theyre framing this like the fight is a bust, but the Pacquiao fight was THE fight. Theres nobody else that Floyd could fight and match or exceed those numbers. Pacquiao Mayweather 2 wouldn't even match those numbers.

There are a couple guys he could fight which would do two to three times the amount of PPV buys this fight will do, easily. This was just an all around stupid decision

nib95

Banned
Theyre framing this like the fight is a bust, but the Pacquiao fight was THE fight. Theres nobody else that Floyd could fight and match or exceed those numbers. Pacquiao Mayweather 2 wouldn't even match those numbers.

I think there's a lot of demand to see Mayweather fight Amir Khan. They have a similar fight style, which makes it more interesting. Not that I think Amir Khan would ever win, but I'd still love to see it.

Would also like to see a Manny re-match. Preferably with Mayweather not doping this time, and Manny not having a shoulder injury. Again, doubt it'd change the outcome, but at least it'd be more entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom