• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Farsi

Sure it is, but pretending like McGregor has no skill there is foolish to say the least. In fact it's probably the single best attribute he has in this entire fight

He doesn't my man. Inside fighting in the UFC and Boxing are completely different.

He doesn't my man. Inside fighting in the UFC and Boxing are completely different.

Again well aware.

And he does. The "He won't land a punch" crowd are in for a bit of a rude awakening I think tomorrow.

It still won't matter/ be enough to win but the idea he isn't going to do / land anything is pretty out there imo

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
DisloyalMintyKingfisher.gif

Hahaha this is legit better than the DBZ gif you were quoting.

Man i cant wait to see if floyd still has these matrix skills and can pull them versus McG....if McG wants to end this within 4 rounds he will be on the offensive....wouldnt that play to Floyds strengths?

Anyway.
If theres one thing about the subscriptions here atleast when its a high profile event they offer it for free.
SuperSport have it in HD for free and they have a dedicated channel pop up just for Bxing highlights...i guess they cant really show UFC highlights since they havent got the rights to it here.

But hey...wake up super early and watch the fight....then probably sleep the whole Sunday away till the F1 starts.

Syder

Man i cant wait to see if floyd still has these matrix skills and can pull them versus McG....if McG wants to end this within 4 rounds he will be on the offensive....wouldnt that play to Floyds strengths?
I believe Floyd hasn't lost it. He stayed in great shape even after retiring.

kodecraft

I like an underdog in any situation. We know Floyd got this, but hopefully Conor doesn't fold and look for a way out. I want to see him do something significant.

After this, I expect to see Conor in Fast and Furious 9. You know how Hollywood likes to capitalize on popular figures.

1. It's not that far apart. It's more like a rugby union team against a rugby league team. Very similar sport with minor differences in the rule set and what is allowed. Many players make the transition seamlessly between codes

The unorthodox idea comes from the fact that boxing IQ also is heavily embedded in predicting the way a boxer moves. A guy like Floyd can toy with opponents because boxers all move in such a predictable way. Pivots, slips, stances are all fairly standard. A guy who doesn't conform to the norm means a lot of those strategies become harder to use for Floyd

And I'd also put forward It's not because he is from a different discipline or is going to use a karate stance, it's because Conor has an unorthodox striking style to begin with even amongst UFC fighters. He uses deceptive speed and pacing, slow to fast in an instant. He has deceptive reach because of his habit of disconnecting the shoulder. He sets you up like a chess master. And he is a master of movement. He doesn't make mistakes in that regard.

Does this mean Conor will win? No. But it does add some interest how something like the style that has dismantled two divisions in the UFC will hold up in a boxing match

I've read through all 10 pages and have agreed with most of the stuff said but this right here.... nah breh

You know the reason why boxers don't use unorthodox fighting techniques? Because it doesn't work. I've seen a lot of "this fight is going to be like Floyd vs Gatti" but I think it will be more like Marco Antonio Barrera vs Prince Naseem Hamed. Barrera was a tactician and Hamed was the hard hitting, undefeated, unorthodoxed fighter who got schooolllleddddd by Barrera. Hamed always had a weird ass stance, Threw punches from crazy angles, lunged when he punched, showboated and was arrogant as McGregor.

n2XG_D.gif

gfsb7b.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXJ8xeckNM

see5harp

It'll probably look like that fight but I think you're selling hamed short by comparing him to a guy who has never fought a pro boxing match in his life.

He will 100% fight as dirty as he can get away with without getting DQ'd. You think he paid for Joe Cortez to ref every fight to learn the rules? He could just read them. It was to know how much he could bend the rules. We already saw small clips from sparring with him pushing the rules. We know he got 2 points taken on the Paulie spar. He's not going in there to box.

He's talked about how he's gonna be like water in there a true martial artist. He's gonna use every resource available to him within the rules in there. I'm almost convinced he's gonna block a shot from Mayweather with his forehead to hurt his hands. Watch the whole 8oz glove thing be 4D chess just designed to hurt Mayweather's brittle hands.

Thing is we have no idea what McGregor is gonna come up with and that's why we're buying this.

Mayweather has worn 8oz gloves in 46 of his 49 fights tho..... It's not like Floyd is just giving up an advantage, hes actually helping himself by going down to a glove weight he is accustomed to.

You know the reason why boxers don't use unorthodox fighting techniques? Because it doesn't work.

You show Hamed there, but it worked for him for quite some time. You could argue that he wasn't even close to well prepared enough to fight Barerra either.

(I couldn't stand Hamed for what it's worth, but that style of his definitely worked for the 5 years he was world featherweight champion)

Mayweather has worn 8oz gloves in 46 of his 49 fights tho..... It's not like Floyd is just giving up an advantage, hes actually helping himself by going down to a glove weight he is accustomed to.

And had to take a knee once because he hurt his hand against the other guy's skull. I'm saying McGregor will look to do that on purpose. In his mind he doesn't mind getting hit by a guy 20 pounds lighter if he gets to hurt him in return. That tactic works way better in 8oz than 10oz gloves.

Remember that McGregor is looking to disrupt boxing, he's gonna do weird shit in there.

You show Hamed there, but it worked for him for quite some time. You could argue that he wasn't even close to well prepared enough to fight Barerra either.

(I couldn't stand Hamed for what it's worth, but that style of his definitely worked for the 5 years he was world featherweight champion)

Very few boxers have been successful using this style and because of this only a few fighters have tried it. Most boxers start out raw and wild and are fine tuned by their trainers to prevent them from being unorthodoxed. With that being said, there was a method to Hamed's madness, he knew that he could hit people from strange angles because he always fought that way. McGregor on the other hand has never done this in a boxing match so he has no clue what will work and what won't work. Trying to figure this out against Floyd is definitely not the place to do it. Conor should have had at least one tune up before this fight.

And had to take a knee once because he hurt his hand against the other guy's skull. I'm saying McGregor will look to do that on purpose. In his mind he doesn't mind getting hit by a guy 20 pounds lighter if he gets to hurt him in return. That tactic works way better in 8oz than 10oz gloves.

Remember that McGregor is looking to disrupt boxing, he's gonna do weird shit in there.

I would LOVE to see Conor lead with his head, Floyd would carve him up nice.

FloydKOHatton.gif~c200

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People need to stop with the "unorthodox" shit when most people just bring up clinching, rabbit punches and stuff like that. Its not new to boxing and throwing punches from crazy angles isn't either. It sounds like some of you should just watch Hajime No Ippo instead of this fight.

LosDaddie

Banned
Group chat with my buds today has been great....very active. Usually not this active unless it's football season. The hype for the fight is crazy. The host for our viewing party is a huge UFC fan and has been posting bloodied McGregor GIFs all day.

Anyway, just got done ordering 3 prime grade blue cheese crusted filet mignons (at the local meat shop) for the party host, the coworker I have a $100 bet with, and myself. A handful of Brisket & blue cheese burgers for the rest. It's going to be a feast.

Im just hoping it's not another boring ass Mayweather fight. And even though I have a $100 on Mayweather, I'm kinda hoping Conor wins just for the reactions on GAF & social media.

I've read through all 10 pages and have agreed with most of the stuff said but this right here.... nah breh

You know the reason why boxers don't use unorthodox fighting techniques? Because it doesn't work. I've seen a lot of "this fight is going to be like Floyd vs Gatti" but I think it will be more like Marco Antonio Barrera vs Prince Naseem Hamed. Barrera was a tactician and Hamed was the hard hitting, undefeated, unorthodoxed fighter who got schooolllleddddd by Barrera. Hamed always had a weird ass stance, Threw punches from crazy angles, lunged when he punched, showboated and was arrogant as McGregor.

n2XG_D.gif

gfsb7b.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXJ8xeckNM

If you wanna prove that point, you *really* shouldn't use a dude that went 36-1 with 31 knockout victories as an example. Most boxers would absolutely kill for that kinda record.

Group chat with my buds today has been great....very active. Usually not this active unless it's football season. The hype for the fight is crazy. The host for our viewing party is a huge UFC fan and has been posting bloodied McGregor GIFs all day.

Anyway, just got done ordering 3 prime grade blue cheese crusted filet mignons (at the local meat shop) for the party host, the coworker I have a $100 bet with, and myself. A handful of Brisket & blue cheese burgers for the rest. It's going to be a feast.

Im just hoping it's not another boring ass Mayweather fight. And even though I have a $100 on Mayweather, I'm kinda hoping Conor wins just for the reactions on GAF & social media.

Dam why you have to rob your coworker for an easy $100.

The point I am trying to make is that the tactician schooled the guy that fights unconventionally.

P.S.
That one loss was to Barrera, the tactician.

I quite doubt that you think for even a second that Barrera was the only tactician Hamed ever fought, rendering your point quite moot. Especially since Hamed was also a tactician, as the description in the video you linked explains. Just so happens that Barrera was better and more prepared for the fight than Hamed.

Unorthodox works until you meet someone flat-out better than you. Which makes it quite goddamn similar to orthodox.

KingV

The real question is why are you going to get Prime filets and then cover up all the Prime-ness by piling on a bunch of blue cheese. Run that on choice.

You're saying McGregor is going to get hit in the face on purpose in an attempt to hurt Mayweather's hands?

Glix

I hate both these guys. So I really have no dog in this fight.

That being said, I don't care how old Floyd is, he is the smartest in the ring boxer I have EVER SEEN.

I really can't imagine Conner getting a single clean shot on him.

I quite doubt that you think for even a second that Barrera was the only tactician Hamed ever fought, rendering your point quite moot. Especially since Hamed was also a tactician, as the description in the video you linked explains. Just so happens that Barrera was better and more prepared for the fight than Hamed.

Unorthodox works until you meet someone flat-out better than you. Which makes it quite goddamn similar to orthodox.

So Floyd isn't a better tactician? He's not a "flat-out better" boxer than Conor?

All good, I'm not going to argue with you, going back into my Philly shell... Catch you on the other side, sweetie.

admittedly i never followed Hamed's career, but who exactly did he fight that was quality? From reading, seems like Hamed's train got derailed the day he signed to fight a very good fighter in Barrera.

Kevin Kelley, César Soto, Tom Johnson, Manuel Medina.

Kelley match is damn good TV too. Hamed had to drop his shenanigans for that one.

So Floyd isn't a better tactician? He's not a "flat-out better" boxer than Conor?
Where did you get the notion that i think Conor has any chance of victory at all in this match? Floyd will utterly destroy him. As far as boxing prowess is concerned, Mayweather is one of the Greats.

I just found your use of Hamed as an example less than ideal, mate. No harm.

see5harp

admittedly i never followed Hamed's career, but who exactly did he fight that was quality? From reading, seems like Hamed's train got derailed the day he signed to fight a very good fighter in Barrera.

That is true to some extent. Same thing happened to Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan (to a lesser degree since even in the UK he had a glass chin). Hamed did have an amateur background, he just didn't draw on it much because he was knocking everyone out doing his clown show. That's the only reason I think a lot of people sell Hamed short in the skills department.

darscot

You're saying McGregor is going to get hit in the face on purpose in an attempt to hurt Mayweather's hands?

Not in the face, on the forehead. I don't think Conor would do it because it's like a street fight tactic and I don't see him being that dirty. Dirty boxing is not being dirty if you understand the distinction I am trying to make.

He did fight some quality fighters such as Kevin Kelly, Wilfredo Vasquez, Augie Sanchez... But Barrera did wreck his shit, he only fought once after that fight.

Dekmental

Banned

He was one of the most overrated talents in a long time.

see5harp

Not in the face, on the forehead. I don't think Conor would do it because it's like a street fight tactic and I don't see him being that dirty. Dirty boxing is not being dirty if you understand the distinction I am trying to make.

You are a comedian right?

Altazor

I got a cousin who's convinced that McGregor will win because "Mayweather is an invention of the bookmakers". He's one of those stubborn guys who always thinks he's right, so I didn't even try to convince him otherwise :p

Against a counter-boxer who is always ready to go that is he worst thing he could do, especially neo-footwork. Neo-footwork is just an extension of old boxing styles to suit an MMA stance.

Top Bottom