• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

King_Moc

Banned
As far as I'm considered Conor won. He managed to last 9 rounds in a sport he doesn't even play. I'm surprised things went past round 3.

C'mon dude. Pay attention. First two rounds was just Mayweather standing there and figuring out all of Mcgregors weaknesses. Then he won every round.

I still wonder how the UFC is going to handle Conor after this. From Conor perspective, how can you really justify going from what he just made to what the UFC can pay him? I'm sure he's under contract and all, but they're just in completely different leagues from a pay perspective. And this fight set him and his family for life.

My guess is he doesn't fight again unless UFC is willing to give him more of the lion's share of his next PPV fight.

VariantX

Respect
DINiKWOUIAAOE0p.jpg

"I'm rich!!"

"I'm also rich!!"

Wazzy

Banned
Like I said, several years ago. How long would it take for him to live it down?

He's never going to live it down because he's a piece of shit who has done it multiple times. He's also a racist and homophobic asshole but keep trying to defend your trash idol.

HiiiLife

So, Mayweather purposely went easy on Mcgregor for the first three rounds in order to bait Mcgregor in letting out all of his steam. Then when he is fatigued later on, Mayweather would go all out on Mcgregor who would be too fatigue to fight. This was Mayweather's strategy from the outset correct?

This is mayweathers strategy...ever.

I was expecting Conor to look embracing for most of the fight.

He did. Floyd played with him. Floyd did not look like the Floyd of old, did not fight like the Floyd of old, was a lot more aggressive and open, and still cruised. Which should be expected. Because Conor is not a boxer.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Not the Floyd I'm accustomed to seeing but the result is the same. Floyd came forward, all fight. Senior in the corner after round 1 said to wait till the 4th, basically, wait till Conor gassed and then step on the game. Coming in at 170 was the death of him. It was a good stoppage, Floyd was playing tag with his face at that point.

Nuu

Banned
C'mon dude. Pay attention. First two rounds was just Mayweather standing there and figuring out all of Mcgregors weaknesses. Then he won every round.

I should really rephrase that as in he "did much better than expected" or "he accomplished his aims" or something similar.

Also I came in during around 4 and saw that Mcgregor won the first four rounds according to the casters.

El Sloth

Banned
This thread's taught me that a lot of people think a boxing match is only stopped when a fighter's knocked to the ground and can't get up like some Rocky shit.

well, I mean that's literally most people's introduction (and sometimes only exposure) to boxing. Then there are the Hajime no Ippo kids....

So, Mayweather purposely went easy on Mcgregor for the first three rounds in order to bait Mcgregor in letting out all of his steam. Then when he is fatigued later on, Mayweather would go all out on Mcgregor who would be too fatigue to fight. This was Mayweather's strategy from the outset correct?

Conor was going to gas himself out regardless of what Floyd did

TaterTots

Banned
Conor did better than expected, but Floyd was obviously wearing him out. Kept coming in with hands up over and over and then BAM.....round 6 he was on fire.

Damn, didn't notice Floyd has no markings while Conor is all swollen lol. Sparring confirmed.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

Yes. In fact mayweather never comes out punching...

LosDaddie

Banned
EASY WORK.

Floyd toyed with him,walked him down the entire time and landed over 50 percent of this punches. Gave conor 2 rounds.

Plus FLOYD IS SHOT TO SHIT. Waste of time. Conor had no power whatsoever in boxing like i said a billion times.

If you believed conor was gonna win dont ever watch boxing again please.

My man.
I was telling my coworker all week that I was making $100 easy money off him for the fight. He kept telling me McGregor was going to win in 6 rounds.

studyguy

Think he's actually done now to be honest.

100m clean and whatever extra to be counted.

No need to go the way of other greats who fought 40+.

tfw you saw Bhop drop out the ring live in person like it was some WWE shit... Yeah I prefer no one else end their careers like that. Shits too much

zelas

If hammerfists in the clinch constitute a good performance then, sure, Conor did great.
KuGsj.gif

People need to learn what constitutes winning a round because spending all your energy and landing nothing is not it.

pXVq8g0.jpg

Diehard MMA fans are already forming their narrative. They seem keen on erasing all footage between rounds 3 and 10 so they can pretend Mayweather didnt completely dismantle Conor BEFORE he was gassed. If Conor wasn't so keen on going for repeat back mount attempts, to escape Floyd teeing off on him, he might have lasted all 12.

They also need to realize Floyd gave Conor those early rounds for free.

thefro

The moving goal posts for Conor are pretty funny. Well he didn't die in this sham of a fight, where is the belt for that.

He won some rounds, landed some good flush shots on Floyd, didn't embarrass himself, and lasted deep into the fight against one of the best of all time in his first boxing match as an adult. Was also clear to MMA fans if he could clinch/wrestle or elbow or use hammerfists Floyd would be in big trouble (let alone kicks or BJJ).

That's way better than most people expected.

My guess is he doesn't fight again unless UFC is willing to give him more of the lion's share of his next PPV fight.

I think they'll give him a sweetheart deal. They need him pretty bad right about now with Ronda being toast and Jon Jones staring down a potential four-year ban. They're pretty starved for star power and they need to stay relevant to the masses.

Top Bottom