• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

TuXx

I never seen a man that was dogshit tired as Conor after the 10th. Dude literally looked like he needed at ventilator

Lived up to the hype? This match was terrible lol. Floyd basically took a couple hits while his opponent was obviously going to spend all his stamina trying to punch air for the most part.

It was literally 3 rounds of decent boxing and then a complete shit show. Does anyone even remember when boxing was good?

From what was expected of this fight, yeah it lived up to the hype, for me anyway. For a MMA star to go against a retired boxing elite it was entertaining. Nobody expected this to be a technical boxing showcase, and if you did you watched the wrong fight. It's a circus event and that's all it was going to be.

I expected a Mayweather win due to Conor getting gassed. Sometimes things playing out the way they were supposed to is ok.

Soul Beat

"I made him fight like a Mexican tonight!"
KXCtFGB.gif

Rur0ni

He did. Floyd played with him. Floyd did not look like the Floyd of old, did not fight like the Floyd of old, was a lot more aggressive and open, and still cruised. Which should be expected. Because Conor is not a boxer.
Pretty much. Wasn't even competitive. 40 years old, gave up 20 pounds plus significant reach. And Floyd walked him down and wasn't respecting his shots.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Conor pissed fight stopped. He rather get knocked out than TKO

Which is pretty silly, and it was just pride talking.

He was dazed and, by his own admission, exhausted.

He was barely fighting back, so to say that he should've been allowed to go on as if he had a chance to turn the tables on a studied and barely spent Mayweather is not even a pipe dream.

He hadn't been studying Floyd throughout the fight like Floyd had been clocking him.

Floyd kept advancing to force him to shove him back and the spend his energy.

He obviously has never fought in the highly cerebral and patient pace that boxing requires, especially against an opponent like Mayweather.

Having great reflexes and punching accuracy doesn't make you a great boxer by default.

Basically, inexperience and poor strategy showed the great difference between a boxer and a brawler with quick reflexes.

From what was expected of this fight, yeah it lived up to the hype, for me anyway. For a MMA star to go against a retired boxing elite it was entertaining. Nobody expected this to be a technical boxing showcase, and if you did you watched the wrong fight. It's a circus event and that's all it was going to be.

I expected a Mayweather win due to Conor getting gassed. Sometimes things playing out the way they were supposed to is ok.

Exactly. It was fun, it was free entertainment, it let me forget my terrible life for a second.
Good stuff.

darscot

I thought Conor made it respectable. Was hoping for the miracle but everyone knew it would be a miracle. Watching the prefights made it real obvious how different a world it was. Enjoyed it.

zewone

I still wonder how the UFC is going to handle Conor after this. From Conor perspective, how can you really justify going from what he just made to what the UFC can pay him? I'm sure he's under contract and all, but they're just in completely different leagues from a pay perspective. And this fight set him and his family for life.
Dana said they would change the pay structure for him to match boxing purses to keep him from being lured to other boxing fights.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As someone who's watched like five boxing ppvs in the past ten years, I would say I got my money's worth. Expected a carnival and got a pretty decent fight with some ebbs and flows in the end. Once I saw Conor gas in 4 I knew this would be the finish though, and I was actually pretty surprised how much longer it went. Even if you know the obvious outcome as long as the guy getting beat has power you can always stay glued to the action because Lawler-Manhoef can always happen.

Mayweather allowed for the match to last this long, he didn't want to let down the buyers. It's crystal clear that he could've finished the fight waaay earlier than he did.

Let's not pretend Mayweather has the hitting power to drop McGregor in the first three rounds. He didn't.

Hence why he intelligently let dude tire himself out then stepped up what little offense he could muster.

Dekmental

Banned
Not the Floyd I'm accustomed to seeing but the result is the same. Floyd came forward, all fight. Senior in the corner after round 1 said to wait till the 4th, basically, wait till Conor gassed and then step on the game. Coming in at 170 was the death of him. It was a good stoppage, Floyd was playing tag with his face at that point.

Floyd sr has been unbelievable since taking over floyd since he came on showtime.

The disrespect he gets is a disgrace.

Hes forgotten more about boxing then all of his haters will ever know

Dmented

Banned
So, Mayweather purposely went easy on Mcgregor for the first three rounds in order to bait Mcgregor in letting out all of his steam. Then when he is fatigued later on, Mayweather would go all out on Mcgregor who would be too fatigue to fight. This was Mayweather's strategy from the outset correct?

Basically, yes. People need to understand how difficult a boxing round is, let alone a 12 round fight. How many amazing amateur boxers look like complete shit once they turn pro. Or shit, once they spar with pro. They gas just like what happened here and it ends the same way.

lmao at people thinking McGregor did well for "lasting" 10 rounds.

It would have been less embarassing if Floyd had laid him out early. But he strung him along because he knew Conor couldn't do shit to him.

This was utter domination.

Heroman

Banned
He won some rounds, landed some good flush shots on Floyd, didn't embarrass himself, and lasted deep into the fight against one of the best of all time in his first boxing match as an adult. Was also clear to MMA fans if he could clinch/wrestle or elbow or use hammerfists Floyd would be in big trouble (let alone kicks or BJJ).

That's way better than most people expected.
But none of that matter,none of hit did anything and Floyd let him tired himself out. And aslo no shit he could have if he was allowed to shoot .

I think if they went one more round, it would've been a ko. Connor looked like he was about to drop from those last few hits in the last round.

I give him tons of respect for holding his own though. He also got to fight the best (albeit retired) fighter in another sport right of the bat, and got paid well for it too... That sounds like a win to me.

Nydius

He won some rounds, landed some good flush shots on Floyd, didn't embarrass himself, and lasted deep into the fight against one of the best of all time in his first boxing match as an adult. Was also clear to MMA fans if he could clinch/wrestle or elbow or use hammerfists Floyd would be in big trouble (let alone kicks or BJJ).

That's way better than most people expected.

No, that's pretty much exactly what most people expected. Mayweather always comes out slowly to see what he's dealing with. Most people expected McGregor would blow his load in the early rounds. And that's exactly what happened. He was fatigued by the 4th round while Mayweather kept dancing around smiling and smirking, barely sweating.

From the 4th round on, Mayweather kept dialing it up until McGregor was looking punchdrunk by the late 9th round.

Top Bottom