• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
If hammerfists in the clinch constitute a good performance then, sure, Conor did great.
KuGsj.gif

People need to learn what constitutes winning a round because spending all your energy and landing nothing is not it.

To be fair he got a really clean uppercut in round 1.

EdmondD

Honestly feel like Mayweather was playing games. He was just letting McGregor tee off on him. I was feeling embarassed for boxing for a minute there. Then he just starts dismantling McGregor like I expected him to from the start. Trying a set a rematch if I had to guess but then again he seemed serious about retiring.

That fight was worth it just to hear my sister's disgruntled racist in-laws complain at the end about it not being fair, the scoring being off, and the referee being "family" or as they say "that's what they call home cookin'!!"

HAHA

Eat shit.

ShogunX

lmao at people thinking McGregor did well for "lasting" 10 rounds.

It would have been less embarassing if Floyd had laid him out early. But he strung him along because he knew Conor couldn't do shit to him.

This was utter domination.

No, he strung the audience along. Come the fuck on now and stop posting like this was anything but a money making exhibition match.

TaterTots

Banned
Every Conor fan is coming out in full force tonight. "Was a work" etc. Yea the marketing was goofy, but a ass whoopin is a ass whoopin.

labx

Banned
pXVq8g0.jpg

Diehard MMA fans are already forming their narrative. They seem keen on erasing all footage between rounds 3 and 10 so they can pretend Mayweather didnt completely dismantle Conor BEFORE he was gassed. If Conor wasn't so keen on going for repeat back mount attempts, to escape Floyd teeing off on him, he might have lasted all 12.

They also need to realize Floyd gave Conor those early rounds for free.

Yeah. I'm with you. They don't seem to understand how Boxing works. The fight wasn't a real fight. People expecting a K.O or something grand were a little lost. Congratulations to the smart people who didn't believe in the the hype train and bet for MW.

MikeRahl

Anyone got a handle on what Conor's weight ended up at?

People had him getting back up to 170 typically in UFC was that the case here?

Panzon

lmao at people thinking McGregor did well for "lasting" 10 rounds.

It would have been less embarassing if Floyd had laid him out early. But he strung him along because he knew Conor couldn't do shit to him.

This was utter domination.
The media will certainly make it seem like Conor did something out of this world and casuals will eat it up for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's clockwork and that's why both these men deserve every penny they get

smurfx

get some go again
Which they will never do.
give mcg a bigger piece of the ppv while still making a ton of money or refuse and make no money at all? lets add that they don't exactly have many stars at the moment who are as big of a name as mcg currently is. his return fight will probably do big numbers.

Kinda shit so many people are calling people who bought this fight idiots, morons and marks. It was for spectacle and fun. The elitest shit in boxing threads on Gaf is embarrassing. Does it make you feel better?

HiiiLife

pXVq8g0.jpg

Diehard MMA fans are already forming their narrative. They seem keen on erasing all footage between rounds 3 and 10 so they can pretend Mayweather didnt completely dismantle Conor BEFORE he was gassed. If Conor wasn't so keen on going for repeat back mount attempts, to escape Floyd teeing off on him, he might have lasted all 12.

The majority of the boxing world already knew how the fight would pan out. I love these tweets.

Shauni

Is this word salad or does it mean something? What's the translation here? lol

In wrestling terms shoot is 'real' and work is 'staged.' It's basically saying in a really weird and jumbled way that people who are too into 'works' start to think what's happening is a 'shoot.'

A lot of people and I mean a LOT of people thought Floyd was going to run in this fight but he didn't. The man was taking everything Conor threw and then got the TKO.

Nuu

Banned
Basically, yes. People need to understand how difficult a boxing round is, let alone a 12 round fight. How many amazing amateur boxers look like complete shit once they turn pro. Or shit, once they spar with pro. They gas just like what happened here and it ends the same way.

I see.

I still stand by my claim that McGregor didn't really "lose" in a figurative sense, since he seemed to perform very well for someone who isn't a boxer. Or is there something I'm missing here?

ash321

He won some rounds, landed some good flush shots on Floyd, didn't embarrass himself, and lasted deep into the fight against one of the best of all time in his first boxing match as an adult. Was also clear to MMA fans if he could clinch/wrestle or elbow or use hammerfists Floyd would be in big trouble (let alone kicks or BJJ).

That's way better than most people expected.
No,
He repeatedly try to hammer fist, try to take down. Floyd have to be the one try to muscle out of that shit so that he doesn't get a DQ.
He did embarrass himself went he try to boxing without a tank. He gassed out at round 3 !!! like how ? He got as deep as he did was because he fight a 40 years old boxer who style is turtle. Put him again a young aggressive one and see how many round he gonna last.

Again, 40 years old vs 29 years old and the other guy look like he done sparring after the fight.
Edit: also how many freaking free hit he got when he try to grab Floyd lol

Wazzy

Banned
I really think people are trying their best not to give Conor credit. He looked great for the first 4 rounds and while it became obvious by 5 that Floyd was trying to gas him, he still got some great punches in and went all the way to 10. I'm not saying that makes Conor the second greatest boxer ever but he did pretty good for his first ever fight against the best boxer of all time.
Hm? Again, don't play coy. Say what you mean.

Don't bother responding to him he does this frequently. He turns everything into a race issue no matter what the context is. Floyd is an abusive racist? don't worry he doesn't care because he thinks the only reason people hate Floyd is for racial reasons.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Connor got played by a strategy. In any case, both fighters did so well and I think it was worth every penny. Connor tried aggression and to use his brute strength, while it seemed like Floyd was in it for the long haul and just biting his time.

That's my take on it anyway. Again, both guys did so well, and for an amatuer boxer, Connor needs to be given a pat on the back, and Floyd for living up to his hype, I KNEW bro wasn't talking shit back during the short tour for a reason, dude was going to let his action speak, rather than his words, while Connor did the usual, amusing showboating.

Both Men deserve praise for putting on a great show. It will be a long time before we get another event like this. /thumbsup

Nafai1123

Banned
Kinda shit so many people are calling people who bought this fight idiots, morons and marks. It was for spectacle and fun. The elitest shit in boxing threads on Gaf is embarrassing. Does it make you feel better?

I don't see people doing that. This was a work, exactly as expected. That doesn't mean people who bought it are idiots, morons and marks. People pay to watch wrestling too. You do you.

Syder

I heard the 1st few rounds the judges actually gave them all to Floyd
Just sayin
because Conor wasn't actually landing anything
pXVq8g0.jpg

MMA fans get salty after defensive wins in that sport too. Tyron Woodley is one of the most hated Champions of all time because his fights are "boring".

It figures that casuals think Conor's performance was good. Not only did Floyd give Conor those rounds, he actively tried to stop Conor from getting points deducted or disqualified.

Tonight's card was garbage from top to bottom and anyone that paid the full $100 has been swiftly punished for being a mark for this carny bullshit. This was not a spectacle, and I pray to God something like this never happens again; it wasn't worth the months of build-up.

Go buy Canelo Alvarez v Gennady Golovkin if you want to be entertained (Sept 16th)

BSsBrolly

Banned
I can't believe boxing fans are acting like this was a forgone conclusion... I remember the same people saying this wouldn't go past round 5.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That fight was worth it just to hear my sister's disgruntled racist in-laws complain at the end about it not being fair, the scoring being off, and the referee being "family" or as they say "that's what they call home cookin'!!"

HAHA

Eat shit.

The scoring was terrible though. McGregor won the first 3 rounds, even if you think Floyd let him. Not like it really matters though.

Top Bottom