• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Clockwork5

Did Mayweather even try? It just seemed like he was willing to allow McGregor to get points deducted while he wore himself out.

Then in the 8th round it seemed like Mayweather decided we all got our money's worth, it's time to end this.

Even if Connor would've stayed fresher for longer I still think it would've been easy pickings for Floyd...but, it would've been a lot more exciting. Those first few rounds were fun.

AR15mex

Dude this has to be one of the worst performances that mayweather had. Even though he won, I believe that he actually wont't come back for another match.

I heard the 1st few rounds the judges actually gave them all to Floyd
Just sayin

I don't see the problem with scoring in Floyd's favor at all.. McGregor was more active. But all he did was poke at Floyd's gloves. Floyd was in control for the whole fight. He never once was in any danger. I think McGregor might have landed one punch of some value during the whole fight. It was Floyd's show all the way.

Oh, he was going to lose, still should have been a standing 8 count.

Although I haven't watched a boxing match for about a decade, so hey.

I thought the stoppage was a bit premature, but I understood why it happened.

Given all the boxing deaths and trauma, I rather them being too early, than too late.

Hey I'll second that.

Can I also call Mayweather a woman beating, sexist, racist, homophobic piece of shit though?

Shake on it?

DILLON_predator.gif

So I don't understand. Floyd obviously was laying low early on feeling McGregor out. Floyd is a very smart boxer. But what I don't understand is why judges are rewarding a strategy and not what's going on in the ring? McGregor landed punches in those early rounds, and some decent ones at that, but because it's part of Mayweather's plan he McGregor still loses the rounds.

I've had a problem with how judges score Mayweathers fights for a while. And to be clear, I'm not saying McGregor was ahead or that Pac should have won. I'm just saying judges aren't rewarding what's actually happening. No reasonable person can say Floyd won both round one and round two. I think McGregor won round 3 and maybe one more round, but thosea are definitely more debatable.

caesar

Banned
Yeah. I'm with you. They don't seem to understand how Boxing works. The fight wasn't a real fight. People expecting a K.O or something grand were a little lost. Congratulations to the smart people who didn't believe in the the hype train and bet for MW.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, as long as mcg wasn't knocked flat in 2 he had 'won' the participants trophy. This fight had different expectations and both fighters basically got what they wanted.

I don't see people doing that. This was a work, exactly as expected. That doesn't mean people who bought it are idiots, morons and marks. People pay to watch wrestling too. You do you.
Mist not have been looking hard enough that's been a thing in every single thread about this fight.

Mediking

I don't see people doing that. This was a work, exactly as expected. That doesn't mean people who bought it are idiots, morons and marks. People pay to watch wrestling too. You do you.

I just hate how McG was literally boasting and bragging about beating Floyd in one round and throwing out the most craziest of insults.

And....

He loses.

His credibility should be hurt somewhat, in my opinion.

I heard the 1st few rounds the judges actually gave them all to Floyd
Just sayin

Because most boxing judges don't give you points for hitting a guy in the arms and back of the head. People around here predictably overrated the fuck out of Conor's performance in those first few rounds. All you needed was Joe Rogan yelling every time Conor slapped Floyd's arms to really cement the delusion.

Neith

Banned
because Conor wasn't actually landing anythingMMA fans get salty after defensive wins in that sport too. Tyron Woodley is one of the most hated Champions of all time because his fights are "boring".

It figures that casuals think Conor's performance was good. Not only did Floyd give Conor those rounds, he actively tried to stop Conor from getting points deducted or disqualified.

Tonight's card was garbage from top to bottom and anyone that paid the full $100 has been swiftly punished for being a mark for this carny bullshit. This was not a spectacle, and I pray to God something like this never happens again; it wasn't worth the months of build-up.

Go buy Canelo Alvarez v Gennady Golovkin if you want to be entertained (Sept 16th)

Indeed, this kind of shit will wear out the masses really fast. They aren't going to keep paying for carny bullshit.

Now, one is okay, but if you start paying for another one of these ridiculous spectacles you might be an idiot or not short on cash.

Easy money for Mayweather. Conor never stood a chance even though he did the best he could fighting in a completely different sport. No idea how people even bet on McGregor.

The result would of course be reversed if it we're MMA, but Floyd has absolutely no reason to do that.

nampad

The aftermath in this thread is more entertaining than the fight, lol.

Sucks that Canelo - GGG will be on a Sunday. European watchers are damned.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Unless Mayweather popped an ACL and got tagged in before he collapsed, yes this was a forgone conclusion.

Fair. Poor wording on my part. Boxing fans acted as if this was going to end in round 5. Then acting like ending in round 10 means nothing.

Clockwork5

So I don't understand. Floyd obviously was laying low early on feeling McGregor out. Floyd is a very smart boxer. But what I don't understand is why judges are rewarding a strategy and not what's going on in the ring? McGregor landed punches in those early rounds, and some decent ones at that, but because it's part of Mayweather's plan he McGregor still loses the rounds.

I've had a problem with how judges score Mayweathers fights for a while. And to be clear, I'm not saying McGregor was ahead of that Pac should have won. I'm just saying judges aren't rewarding what's actually happening. No reasonable person can say Floyd won both round one and round two. I think McGregor won round 3 and maybe one more round, but thosea are definitely more debatable.

McGregor was also landing karate chops to the back of Mayweather's head. Judges tend to frown on that. This isn't a no holds barred cage match.

I can't believe boxing fans are acting like this was a forgone conclusion... I remember the same people saying this wouldn't go past round 5.

I've never watched boxing in my life and didn't even know about this fight until getting to work and seeing my coworker had the pre-game playing. He's a huge MMA fan and asked who I thought would win. After telling him I have no clue as I don't pay attention to the stuff he explained briefly the history and my immediate thought was "obviously the pro boxer wins the boxing match as an MMA fighter is trained and conditioned for something different". So you don't need to be particularly astute or well-versed in either sport to see the outcome.

Jerm411

Because most boxing judges don't give you points for hitting a guy in the arms and back of the head. People around here predictably overrated the fuck out of Conor's performance in those first few rounds. All you needed was Joe Rogan yelling every time Conor slapped Floyd's arms to really cement the delusion.

How many "oh he hurt him" would we have got? It would've been ridiculous....

Beefy

Easy money for Mayweather. Conor never stood a chance even though he did the best he could fighting in a completely different sport. No idea how people even bet on McGregor.

The result would of course be reversed if it we're MMA, but Floyd has absolutely no reason to do that.

It was easy money for both. McGregor only got hit hard a few times, dude made a shit load of cash for just getting gassed.

ash321

I've had a problem with how judges score Mayweathers fights for a while. And to be clear, I'm not saying McGregor was ahead or that Pac should have won. I'm just saying judges aren't rewarding what's actually happening. No reasonable person can say Floyd won both round one and round two. I think McGregor won round 3 and maybe one more round, but thosea are definitely more debatable.

Because his point got docked for try to do a take down and keep fucking hammer fist.

Like, this is boxing people, not MMA.

Top Bottom