• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

TraBuch

Banned
UFC needs to embrace the carny shit. A triple threat fight. Find Bob Sapp and bring him out of retirement to fight Choi Hong-man. Intergender matches. Ladder matches. Electrify the fences.

commedieu

Banned
Floyd confirms it. He went out there to tire Conor out and the game plan worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFMqsgkFjg
At 0:40

tenor.gif

Boxing judges biased towards boxer. News at 11.

Not like this.

Even in round 1 when Conor got him with that upper it might as well have been a pillow soft jab to Floyd. He didn't have the raw power to ever even effect Floyd and he knew it the minute he connected once. So the pro just toyed with him for a few rounds then ate his ass alive.

ok i dont know anything about boxing but man this is a dumb fight

mayweather is coming in ducking way low with his gloves up and just waddling deep into macgregor's range, and then ripping the body and macgregor doesn't know what to do so he grabs him impotently and then the ref separates them and then do it all over again

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I respectfully ask you to speak for yourself. Floyd pulled a Rocky and it was obvious from almost the first round. You need a lot of stamina for boxing matches, and with MMA, AFAIK? I see fights end quickly on a regular basis. Connor didn't have the stamina or the brains to understand what Floyd's gameplan was. Plain and simple.

He was hoping to brute force him into a K.O given all his talk up till the fight.

Nothing Rocky about what Mayweather did. Plenty of fighters have fought out of that high guard stance with Winky Wright being one of the better known fighters if you actually follow boxing. Mcgregor just dumb enough to expend all his energy hitting gloves. The stance leaves the body open. Cotto tried to fight Mayweather in that stance and Floyd went to his body and threw looping right hands around Cotto's gloves

UFC needs to embrace the carny shit. A triple threat fight. Find Bob Sapp and bring him out of retirement to fight Choi Hong-man. Intergender matches. Ladder matches. Electrify the fences.

I mean some of these hot takes in this thread are..........weird.

You know the UFC already does huge PPV's right? They just had one 3 weeks ago that did 850,000 buys

You need to be very careful going too carny with MMA, a fight like Dada 5000 vs Kimbo should never happen again

It was all part of the plan to take 111 punches.

That's the first thing they teach you in boxing.

They count those 10-15 he quite literally shrugged off as clean lands too.

Floyd took those because he never at any point felt a hint of threat. He didn't even play defensive.

I find it amazing that boxing fans are acting like Floyd dominated. This was way more competitive than it should have been. Way more competitive than it would be in a real fight too.

Floyd did dominate. He officially won all but one round on two scorecards, and was obviously carrying Conor throughout. And I'm not a boxing fan, btw. The whole sport's a farce in the modern era, IMO.

Nuu

Banned
After 49 fights, Floyd finally decided to fight for the crowd and give them a show.

This is crazy how they worked this thing so that everyone comes out a winner. Floyd gets his mega money, his 50-0 and goes out with a casual audience pleasing fight that will help wipe away a little of the bad taste left over from the Pac fight.

Conor gets his huge payday, added respect from the casual audience because (by whatever means) he made it into the late rounds, he didnt get beat up too much, and now bis star is bigger than ever and can cash out with a few more big paydays (if he even still wants to fight after this kind of money).

They worked this shit to perfection.

Pretty much. I wouldn't be surprised if this was staged to some degree.

Which one? I think it happened like 5 or 6 times where Conor thought he was punching Floyd square in the face and Floyd just stood there and looked at his glove.

I think it was between Round 5 or 6. I was too hyped to keep track but that one really needs to be spread out on the internet. While there were some good shots by Conor some of them had no power behind them.

Tubie

You know that Conor is a bigger draw than Mayweather right?

Conor does 1+ million PPVs every time he fights.

Mayweathers "last fight" against Berto did 400k.

lol

Lets ignore that everyone knew this was a retirement fight, so nobody saw it.

You have to add a few of Conors fights to get to the Floyd-Pac fight numbers.

He ate more punches from Conor than Pacman.

He fought the actual professional boxer with actual knockout power differently than the MMA fighter who even when he lands as clean a punch as early in the fight as possible doesn't even stagger the 40 year old defensive technician.

Sentenza

For the record, people who don't follow boxing shouldn't be fooled by Mayweather's reputation.
He's arguably the most skillful fighter of the last decades, but he's far from the most dangerous.

There are plenty of other boxers that, while not as skilled as Floyd, would have made this fight far more gruesome for McGregor.

I say this because I'm already reading a lot of comments like "He hold his own against one of the best ever, so he could have a very good career in professional boxing".
Nah, I don't think so. not from what we've seen tonight.

TraBuch

Banned
You know, I still haven't bothered to ever actually watch the Mayweather - Pacquiao fight. Was Pacquiao able to do literally anything?

Top Bottom