• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

zelas

I mean, I don't think anyone who is serious about combat sports believes that Conor lost only because he was gassed or that Conor won the early rounds because he's some super-duper boxer.

It's pretty obvious that Floyd was being Floyd and spent the early rounds putting change in the meter. That's not quite the same as "toying" with Conor. I don't that's an accurate way to describe it. But there's no question in my mind that Conor was never ahead in any meaningful sense. (If I race against the 10000m world champion, and I spend the first 200m ahead of him because I'm sprinting, it's neither true that he's "toying" with me nor true that I'm actually beating him. Haha.)

I'm looking at MMA writers who are saying exactly that as well as questioning how people saw the early rounds. Dude was giving Conor 4 rounds while not even bothering to acknowledge the borderline illegal attacks Conor was throwing out almost every round. With some MMA journalists acknowledging Conor's tactics, I'm just trying to make the point that there are still some people out there that aren't capable of giving Conor props without acknowledging how completely one side that match was.

It was all part of the plan to take 111 punches.

That's the first thing they teach you in boxing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope

But Floyd literally saying that was his gameplan isn't enough for you? He played the man like a damn fiddle from start to finish.

Nuu

Banned
Why do people say that Mayweather gave McGregor the first 3 rounds then started going ham thereafter? That wasn't until like round 5 or 6.

Derwind

It was all part of the plan to take 111 punches.

That's the first thing they teach you in boxing.

How many of those were hits using the palm of the glove? Those mma style hammer shots? Those shallow hits that barely fazed Mayweather?

How many?

Tom_Cody

8uqyVQk.png

You tried to paint a narrative of Floyd not being hit.

I did not. Every boxer gets hit. It's inherent to the sport. But not all punches are alike, which is what you are disingenuously trying to portray. Volume numbers of punches are meaningless. Conor did not land anything significant, did very little damage, never caused Floyd to change up his gameplan. He might as well have played paddy cake 111 times. Your standard has to be pretty low to consider "he landed punches!" to be a successful boxing performance.

zewone

I'm looking at MMA writers who are saying exactly that as well as questioning how people saw the early rounds. Dude was giving Conor 4 rounds while not even bothering to acknowledge the borderline illegal attacks Conor was throwing out almost every round. With some MMA journalists acknowledging Conor's tactics, I'm just trying to make the point that there are still some people out there that aren't capable of giving Conor props without acknowledging how completely one side that match was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope

But Floyd literally saying that was his gameplan isn't enough for you? He played the man like a damn fiddle from start to finish.

I'm aware and I believe him. Still doesn't change the facts that he was hit several times and lost rounds to a man making his professional debut. It's all in good fun, mate.
How many of those were hits using the palm of the glove? Those mma style hammer shots? Those shallow hits that barely fazed Mayweather?

How many?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Nothing Rocky about what Mayweather did. Plenty of fighters have fought out of that high guard stance with Winky Wright being one of the better known fighters if you actually follow boxing.

Winky Wright was 1990's, Rocky was the 80's. This is going to get off topic, but Rocky was the reason I even got into Boxing, Buster Douglas, Mike Tyson, George Foreman and Evander Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and a few more that slip my mind, caught my interest in the 80's. I'm am NOT a boxing enthusiast, but I enjoy watching a good match.

I don't know what your reply was meaning to get at, but I'm just calling it like I see it. I'd have been happy with either one winning. It was a great fight. That's all that matters to me.

commedieu

Banned
You tried to paint a narrative of Floyd not being hit.

If you consider hits to mean something other than you managed to rub a useless glove on some faces, amazing hill to defend.

Or is there some winning in being technically correct? But having no value.

Lol at anyone who thinks Conner was in this one. Floyd was just taking his time and putting on a show for the audience and fans. Totally entertaining scrimmage / sparring match.

Forward

I'm aware and I believe him. Still doesn't change the facts that he was hit several times and lost rounds to a man making his professional debut. It's all in good fun, mate.

There is getting hit, and then there is getting hit.

This was the former.

commedieu

Banned
What are you trying to say or prove?
Shot in the dark;

That internet technically. You're flat wrong/agree to disagree, and it totally proves conor, with no experience other than literally being professional at hitting people in the face, managed to touch maywhether a few times to no meaningful outcome.

So.. lol @ you and everyone else.

Donos

After 49 fights, Floyd finally decided to fight for the crowd and give them a show.

This is crazy how they worked this thing so that everyone comes out a winner. Floyd gets his mega money, his 50-0 and goes out with a casual audience pleasing fight that will help wipe away a little of the bad taste left over from the Pac fight.

Conor gets his huge payday, added respect from the casual audience because (by whatever means) he made it into the late rounds, he didnt get beat up too much, and now bis star is bigger than ever and can cash out with a few more big paydays (if he even still wants to fight after this kind of money).

They worked this shit to perfection.

Really. That's 1:1 how i see it. Some ppl even predicted the fight being almost exactly like this when it was announced here.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Winky Wright was 1990's, Rocky was the 80's. This is going to get off topic, but Rocky was the reason I even got into Boxing, Buster Douglas, Mike Tyson, George Foreman and Evander Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and a few more that slip my mind, caught my interest in the 80's. I'm am NOT a boxing enthusiast, but I enjoy watching a good match.

I don't know what your reply was meaning to get at, but I'm just calling it like I see it. I'd have been happy with either one winning. It was a great fight. That's all that matters to me.

My point was that plenty of boxers get thrown off by that stance and punch themselves out against it without doing much damage. Its a very good stance for protecting your head and chin. Mayweather knew if he presented that stance Conor would fall into the trap of free swinging at him but basically only hitting gloves and elbows. Smart fighters pick their shots against that stance some examples are Mayweather vs Cotto, Pac vs Clottey, and most recently Mikey Garcia vs Adrien Broner. A good uppercut to split the guard also works well against it.

Lol people acting as Floyd was worried about going round to round with this chump. McGregor was played like a fiddle to the t. It's not about the rounds, it's about the stamina. Conor through hecka punches that did all but nothing except wind him completely. Floyd took like 7-10 clean hits tot he face and smiled through all of them. Just cause you get hit in boxing doesn't mean you are losing or that your oppenent has the upper hand at that point.

Dude got worked like a textbook plain as day. Denying that is delusional. He got gifted some rounds simply to speed up his impending self inflicted fatigue.

His face when actually started hitting him was priceless lol. Go back to the octagon bro. And stop being racist.

BradC00

He ate more punches from Conor than Pacman.

he also didn't walk forward the entire fight vs Pac, he actually fought defensive, because Pac is dangerous. I think once May got hit with that uppercut and wasn't even fazed he knew Conor had nothing he hadn't felt before.

For the record, people who don't follow boxing shouldn't be fooled by Mayweather's reputation.
He's arguably the most skillful fighter of the last decades, but he's far from the most dangerous.

There are plenty of other boxers that, while not as skilled as Floyd, would have made this fight far more gruesome for McGregor.

I say this because I'm already reading a lot of comments like "He hold his own against one of the best ever, so he could have a very good career in professional boxing".
Nah, I don't think so. not from what we've seen tonight.

Mayweather started to walk down McGregor after the third. That just says how easy it was for him. If Floyd had any doubt that Coner was any real threat and could box he wouldn't have done that.

Also the amount of calls that McGregor was getting for punches to the back of the head, holding down and in a few times grabbing he had zero rhythm. A few good counter punches and pivoted nicely but that was it really.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Mayweather undefeated.
Man is in his 40s, beat a man in his 20s.
He's GOAT alive right now.

Connor isn't a boxer, what the hell were they thinking.
This whole thing is ridiculous. Leave boxing to boxers.

zelas

Still doesn't change the facts that he was hit several times and lost rounds to a man making his professional debut.
But you seem to dispute the point that Floyd lost those round on purpose. You seem to believe Floyd didnt just stand there, but that they both went at each other and Conor came out on top those first few rounds.

Meier

I have no skin in the game as I am ambivalent about both sports but it wasn't close. It was a good stoppage -- Conor could barely stand in the 9th round and then the 10th he was just entirely walking dead. If the ref hadn't stopped it, he's on his back in no time flat.

Conor is completely rewriting the narrative, but he wouldn't have lasted the final minute of that round so getting to the corner is entirely irrelevant. He's all like oh I wobble a bit at some point in every fight! This wasn't a wobble. This was someone who could barely stand and was inches away from being blacked out.

Yeoman

He didn't 'eat' anything. Conor blew his load early and had nothing to show for it except a points lead on ONE judge's card.Pacquiao's shoulder was done
This routine you're doing is pretty sad.
Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. He went 10 rounds and hit Mayweather more times than many of his other biggest fights. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.
You're insecurity is showing throughout this whole thread.
Oh, and in before "he let him hit him!".

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
But you seem to dispute the point that Floyd lost those round on purpose. You seem to believe Floyd didnt just stand there, but that they both went at each other and Conor came out on top those first few rounds.

Some folks want to stay in the Matrix.

This routine you're doing is pretty sad.
Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.
You're insecurity is showing throughout this whole thread.

Well you're taking this to a weird place.

Top Bottom