• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

This routine you're doing is pretty sad.
Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.
You're insecurity is showing throughout this whole thread.
This has to be a joke post. Mayweather was playing this dude like a fucking fiddle.

Tubie

I bet Floyd could fight at GOAT levels for another 3-4 years, but he has no reason to do it. He already beat Canelo in humiliating fashion and GGG at 160 is too much of a mismatch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When do I get to fight Floyd?

Syder

Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. He went 10 rounds and hit Mayweather more times than many of his other biggest fights.
Watch more boxing. I can't even be mad at your personal attack because it comes from a place of pure ignorance.

Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.

Whoa, a personal attack on a poster.
From a technical standpoint the whole fight honestly was in Mayweather's favor; especially how Mayweather moved around McGregor's punches.

Heroman

Banned
Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. He went 10 rounds and hit Mayweather more times than many of his other biggest fights. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.
Oh, and in before "he let him hit him!".
What is this? Like what are you doing?

Conor did fantastic, he looked more competitive out there than many of Mayweather's previous opponents. He went 10 rounds and hit Mayweather more times than many of his other biggest fights. It's a shame you can't give him props for that but I'm not surprised.
....yeah...that's exactly what happened out here. 👀

Forward

Mayweather phoned it in, though. He didn't have to apply his insane defense to win. I infinitely prefer the spectacle of MMA over boxing, but I am also not an idiot.

Conor isn't known for his cardio, I feel like somwhere in that 4-8 round area, middle of the fight, Conor's cardio fails on him and Mayweather just picks him apart until he collapses.

You werent too far off.

Was a decent fight. McGregor did okay. Was a more interesting fight than that sorry ass Pacquoiu fight.

McGregor was done after round 6. He stopped blockin around then.

Bronx-Man

Banned

I see the MARKS are out in full force tonight

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is the long-and-short of it. He got schooled by the GOAT.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DINq4PxXgAImqCN.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, this is what I said, Floyd Sr. and Jr. just waited Conor out then went to work. I didn't think that they'd come with this gameplan but however, they did. Sr. is a gotdamn genius and it shows since he's gone back to training Floyd.

Sentenza

This was a hell of a fight. Period. Shit owned. Mcgregor did so much better than expected.
No, honestly it wasn't that much of a spectacle.

It was an awkward fight with a lot of illicit stuff that was deliberately overlooked for the sake of giving people a show.
Also, a fight intentionally carried in its late rounds despise a blatant gap in skill between the two contenders.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
My point was that plenty of boxers get thrown off by that stance and punch themselves out against it without doing much damage. Its a very good stance for protecting your head and chin. Mayweather knew if he presented that stance Conor would fall into the trap of free swinging at him but basically only hitting gloves and elbows. Smart fighters pick their shots against that stance some examples are Mayweather vs Cotto, Pac vs Clottey, and most recently Mikey Garcia vs Adrien Broner. A good uppercut to split the guard also works well against it.

I won't argue against a good uppercut cutting through. But taking Connor's words at face value, I can honestly say this wasn't that surprising, seeing as Connor wanted to end him quickly. Connor is young, thirsty and in great shape. I don't think for a second his confidence was out of line, but after watching the first few mins.. it started to get obvious what Floyd was going for.

That said, Connor could have landed the right blow at any moment and the fight would have been over in favor of him. I don't doubt that for a second. Infact, I want to see it again, because the fight was so exciting that I felt I missed some details!

I find it amazing that boxing fans are acting like Floyd dominated. This was way more competitive than it should have been. Way more competitive than it would be in a real fight too.

Competitive?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

commedieu

Banned

Lol. This is a literal lie.

Huge conor fan. He's a great athlete. He did not for one second look more competitive than 49 pro boxers. Floyd worked him into a tko from minute one by gassing the moron out. Boxing is a different beast. Conor is lucky they didn't just call the fight for wrestling and hitting in the back of the head.

He showed no boxing discipline. Floyd took hits, because that was literally his plan. Just as every pundit said he'd do. Color got tired out. He didn't knock out may whether as he said he would. And started hugging a fighter without even pretending to punch into a hug.

I have never seen that in boxing. Someone just hugs you without even punching because they are tires.

Conor deserves praise for trying, and failing. But pretending he was competition, is a joke. And it's an insult to the boxing profession to pretend he did better than boxers that could make 12 rounds.

commedieu

Banned
The illusion of those baby jabs by mcgregor got people thinking he put up a fight lol please.
.right!?!?!

With a guy literally planning to tire your dumbass out.

Don't get me wrong. Conor is QUICK. But nothing came of the jabs. Or any of his hits besides getting knee wobbles after exhausting himself.

Lol people acting as Floyd was worried about going round to round with this chump. McGregor was played like a fiddle to the t. It's not about the rounds, it's about the stamina. Conor through hecka punches that did all but nothing except wind him completely. Floyd took like 7-10 clean hits tot he face and smiled through all of them. Just cause you get hit in boxing doesn't mean you are losing or that your oppenent has the upper hand at that point.

Dude got worked like a textbook plain as day. Denying that is delusional. He got gifted some rounds simply to speed up his impending self inflicted fatigue.

His face when actually started hitting him was priceless lol. Go back to the octagon bro. And stop being racist.

Lol

Momentary

Banned

This seems like drunk talk. There is no possible way you could be saying something like this sober.

Derwind

Mayweather had McGregor backpedalling and everytime, he closed that distance. He had McGregor walking in circles.

I dont know what fight some were watching but only one fighter was controlling the pace of the fight and that fighter wasnt McGregor.

Mayweather landed 59 more total punches and the vast majority of that came after the 3rd round. McGregors punches were way too shallow to be anywhere near effective.

This was not a close fight, this was not a competitive fight, this was a spectacle and thats what people paid for. Im not even trying to hate on McGregor, if this was the octagon, Mayweather doesnt stand a chance but this was his environment, an undefeated hall of famer, this was only going one way.

gun_haver

I don't know much about boxing, or MMA for that matter, but from what I saw it did look as if Mayweather was basically taking it easy and keeping away for the first few rounds while he figured things out, and until McGregor got tired. Around round 6 or so he started attacking and the real balance of the fight became clear.

Also, is there any chance Mayweather was taking it easy to draw the fight out so that it would last long enough to be thought of as worth the hype and money it cost to watch? Also, that maybe they had a deal where he wouldn't embarrass McGregor? The match is kind of a joke, right? So it isn't like it had a lot of integrity to spoil. I'm not a regular fan though, so I dunno how likely that is.

Syder

Yeah, this is what I said, Floyd Sr. and Jr. just waited Conor out then went to work. I didn't think that they'd come with this gameplan but however, they did. Sr. is a gotdamn genius and it shows since he's gone back to training Floyd.
Roger Mayweather deserves a lot of credit for Floyd's style as well.

Everyone under the Mayweather umbrella is looking pretty good. I had Badou Jack winning but not quite that convincingly, great showing from him. Shame Davis' fight ended that way and he couldn't make weight though.

Jack - $750k
Davis - $600k

giphy.gif

Nothing stops this train.

Conor deserves praise for trying, and failing. But pretending he was competition, is a joke. And it's an insult to the boxing profession to pretend he did better than boxers that could make 12 rounds.
This is a great way of putting it. Conor deserves credit for being brave enough, training, make weight and showing up... but this wasn't a competition. Floyd danced to victory and according to him didn't even spar in training.

Also, that poster would know if they spent any time in the boxing or MMA threads that I'm a huge fan of Conor.

commedieu

Banned
I don't know much about boxing, or MMA for that matter, but from what I saw it did look as if Mayweather was basically taking it easy and keeping away for the first few rounds while he figured things out, and until McGregor got tired. Around round 6 or so he started attacking and the real balance of the fight became clear.

Also, is there any chance Mayweather was taking it easy to draw the fight out so that it would last long enough to be thought of as worth the hype and money it cost to watch? Also, that maybe they had a deal where he wouldn't embarrass McGregor? The match is kind of a joke, right? So it isn't like it had a lot of integrity to spoil. I'm not a regular fan though, so I dunno how likely that is.

From the mouth of babes.

causan

LOL all these people who thought this was a legit fight. You could tell this shit was scripted from the start, they were both pulling punches. Especially the first couple of rounds, McGregor had his hands practically to his side's and Mayweather could only land a punch to his chest. Freaking boxing gone WWE.

Nafai1123

Banned

This is exactly what happened. Mayweather ADMITTED after the fight he put 6 figured on himself to win around 9.5 rounds. It was a work. Entertaining sure, but a work nonetheless.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What I wanted: a fookin conor win by KO in round tree

What I expected: same old shit from Floyd, boring ass fight with Floyd dominating the entire time (pacquiao fight hello), decision win for Mayweather

What I got: an even fight for 8 rounds, TKO victory for Floyd in the 10th

honestly I was entertained. it exceed my realistic expectations, even if my crazy dream scenario didn't come true. fun night out enjoying it with friends who aren't into combat sports. those first 4 rounds were crazy hype.
It was an even fight for about 0 rounds

Top Bottom