• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

commedieu

Banned
He beat an amateur boxer. Just shut him down. Floyd is one of the best ever, but he gets no props for this glorified sparring contest

He's past his prime. That means a lot. Not a whole lot, I'll agree. But that's a damn fine pin to have on your chest as a 40 year old champ. At the height of ufc popularity.

That has to feel good. And it really highlights the end of boxing vs mma. There is something of value here. Not a ton. But, a lot less folks are in this thread..

Oddly enough.

DopeToast

Banned
Coming from a total outsider with no real knowledge of boxing or MMA, that was a fucking blast to watch. I was expecting McGregor to just do something stupid and for it to be over super quickly, so it was nice to see it go for a while.

He's past his prime. That means a lot. Not a whole lot, I'll agree. But that's a damn fine pin to have on your chest as a 40 year old champ. At the height of ufc popularity.

That has to feel good. And it really highlights the end of boxing vs mma. There is something of value here. Not a ton. But, a lot less folks are in this thread..

Oddly enough.

I agree with this.

etern1ty

Neo Member
McGregor looked very, very impressive. He's landed more punches than most of Floyd's opponents in the last 10 years bar Cotto, and around the same amount Canelo landed in 12 rounds. Unbelievable that of all people to do that to Floyd, an MMA fighter.

I had him up four rounds but outside of how competitive it was, it went as I thought it would.

Great fight, bit of a shame the big show has come and gone. Good for Floyd for ending with a bang.

I'd love to see more crossover fights.

Also anyone saying this diminishes MMA in any sense... absolutely clueless.

If Conor fights a competitive fight in boxing with Floyd Mayweather for 10 rounds, how long does Floyd make it competitive in an MMA match? A minute?

DINqKexW4AAT1_n.jpg

Oddly enough.

Will it really?

iavi

What I wanted: a fookin conor win by KO in round tree

What I expected: same old shit from Floyd, boring ass fight with Floyd dominating the entire time (pacquiao fight hello), decision win for Mayweather

What I got: an even fight for 8 rounds, TKO victory for Floyd in the 10th

honestly I was entertained. it exceed my realistic expectations, even if my crazy dream scenario didn't come true. fun night out enjoying it with friends who aren't into combat sports. those first 4 rounds were crazy hype.

An even 8 rounds lol. We're revising history in real time tonight

Oddly enough.

Why does this do anything for "boxing vs mma" garbage arguments? A pure boxer going into MMA will get taken down and tapped (including Floyd). A MMA fighter will go into a boxing ring and get picked apart (just like tonight). Did anything seriously change with this joke contest tonight?

commedieu

Banned
Will it really?

I mean the net debate. This is literally the best card we will get for ufc vs boxing. A lot of people slept on boxing thinking it's just hitting, and conor can hit, so clearly that's all it takes to win a match.

But folks are still arguing over in gaming about graphics vs games.. so shit. Who knows if this will silence anything for a moment.

Why does this do anything for "boxing vs mma" garbage arguments? A pure boxer going into MMA will get taken down and tapped (including Floyd). A MMA fighter will go into a boxing ring and get picked apart (just like tonight). Did anything seriously change with this joke contest tonight?

You know folks, myself included thought this would be some sort of win for conor. That's why this whole freak show hapoened. It's not true to pretend this wasnt on people's minds.

McGregor looked very, very impressive. He's landed more punches than most of Floyd's opponents in the last 10 years bar Cotto, and around the same amount Canelo landed in 12 rounds. Unbelievable that of all people to do that to Floyd, an MMA fighter.

I had him up four rounds but outside of how competitive it was, it went as I thought it would.

Great fight, bit of a shame the big show has come and gone. Good for Floyd for ending with a bang.

If Conor fights a competitive fight in boxing with Floyd Mayweather for 10 rounds, how long does Floyd make it competitive in an MMA match? A minute?

"He landed more punches" probably has nothing to do with Floyd walking straight at him, knowing there was zero chance of getting hurt. Didn't Floyd land over 50 % of his punches or something?

And boxing and MMA are not the same thing so that's a silly argument. Boxer going to a MMA fight is like MMA fighter walking to a boxing ring and holding his hands down the whole time.

Have you ever seen a fight from Floyd before this fight? If so, how do you not understand the correlation between his style of boxing tonight and the number of punches Conor landed, with the way Mayweather usually box a LOT safer with impeccable defense?

Meier

McGregor kept repeating himself but during that he said something I had noticed. Once Floyd decided to come in close, he just had no response to it. Floyd sat back a bit in those first few rounds and Conor's superior reach meant he got in some shots, but once Floyd got right up on him, he didn't have the space to land real punches. It was over from that moment Well, it was in general from the beginning, but you could actually see where the fight changed at that point.

Mayweather lost the first three rounds but I had no doubt he was gonna win. Dude was getting his timing and range down and it was a fucking wrap. Mcgregor I will say didn't look terrible in a boxing ring. He just needs more polish. Training will do that for him. I wouldn't mind him taking on Diaz in a boxing match. Would be entertaining.

etern1ty

Neo Member
Have you ever seen a fight from Floyd before this fight? If so, how do you not understand the correlation between his style of tonight and the # of punches Conor landed, with the way Mayweather usually box a LOT safer with impeccable defense?

Are you seriously asking me if I've ever watched Mayweather fight? Do you think you're talking to a newbie?

I've been watching Floyd since 2005, I've seen every fight of his career and I know the difference between PBF and how he changed into Money after breaking his hands on Hernandez face.

So yes, I have watched Floyd. Have you?

Conor McGregor, an MMA fighter making his boxing debut won the first four rounds against one of the best boxers of all time, and had a competitive fight up until the 10th round.

If anyone even entertains the notion that it isn't very impressed, go on and be set in your biased ways.

Derwind

"He landed more punches" probably has nothing to do with Floyd walking straight at him, knowing there was zero chance of getting hurt. Didn't Floyd land over 50 % of his punches or something?

And boxing and MMA are not the same thing so that's a silly argument. Boxer going to a MMA fight is like MMA fighter walking to a boxing ring and holding his hands down the whole time.

He also had nearly twice as many hard hits (152 to 84) while mcgregor had a very small lead in jabs (27 to 18).

BradC00

Ray Mercer knocked out former UFC champ Tim Sylvia and Holly Holm knocked out UFC champ Ronda Rousey.

sfedai0

Banned

lol "impressive" "competitive". If your opponent is letting you swing away for 3 rounds while hes studying you and conserving energy, and then just falling flat on your face the rest of the fight is impressive, then you havent seen much boxing.

McGregor kept repeating himself but during that he said something I had noticed. Once Floyd decided to come in close, he just had no response to it. Floyd sat back a bit in those first few rounds and Conor's superior reach meant he got in some shots, but once Floyd got right up on him, he didn't have the space to land real punches. It was over from that moment Well, it was in general from the beginning, but you could actually see where the fight changed at that point.
Part of the brilliance of Mayweather. He had the shorter arms which means he had to come inside where his shorter arms would land quicker than McGregors longer arms.

The arguments many made and still make is that MMA fighters are great boxers that could go toe to toe with anyone in the ring. Hopefully that stupid claim will go away but of course it won't because life works in mysterious ways.

Are you seriously asking me if I've ever watched Mayweather fight? Do you think you're talking to a newbie?

I've been watching Floyd since 2005, I've seen every fight of his career and I know the difference between PBF and how he changed into Money after breaking his hands on Hernandez face.

So yes, I have watched Floyd. Have you?

Conor McGregor, an MMA fighter making his boxing debut won the first four rounds against one of the best boxers of all time, and had a competitive fight up until the 10th round.

If anyone even entertains the notion that it isn't very impressed, go on and be set in your biased ways.

Except he didn't win the first four rounds, not even on the most generous judges score card.

Top Bottom