• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
McGregor looked very, very impressive. He's landed more punches than most of Floyd's opponents in the last 10 years bar Cotto, and around the same amount Canelo landed in 12 rounds. Unbelievable that of all people to do that to Floyd, an MMA fighter.

I had him up four rounds but outside of how competitive it was, it went as I thought it would.

Great fight, bit of a shame the big show has come and gone. Good for Floyd for ending with a bang.

I'd love to see more crossover fights.

Also anyone saying this diminishes MMA in any sense... absolutely clueless.

If Conor fights a competitive fight in boxing with Floyd Mayweather for 10 rounds, how long does Floyd make it competitive in an MMA match? A minute?

You sweet summer child.

A retired boxer versus an amateur one isn't competitive. It's amazing that folks are seeing this as the spectacle that they think they saw.

Did you not see the ref ALLOW the hammerfists and grabs and illegal punches to the back of the head? Like, did you see Mayweather casually tell McGregor to watch the hands when Conor struck him below the belt? Have you ever seen a boxer completely gassed by the 8th round? It was a sparring match.

And no, Mayweather has no interest in getting in an octagon. It would have been as ridiculous as this fight was.

Seijuro

Does anyone know where I can find that gif where Conor is flaying around with his arms in some kind of warmup that circulated on GAF a few days ago?

Derwind

Are you seriously asking me if I've ever watched Mayweather fight? Do you think you're talking to a newbie?

I've been watching Floyd since 2005, I've seen every fight of his career and I know the difference between PBF and how he changed into Money after breaking his hands on Hernandez face.

So yes, I have watched Floyd. Have you?

Conor McGregor, an MMA fighter making his boxing debut won the first four rounds against one of the best boxers of all time, and had a competitive fight up until the 10th round.

If anyone even entertains the notion that it isn't very impressed, go on and be set in your biased ways.

Mayweather only took 9 shots in the first 3 round. The next 161 hits came after the 3rd. 152 of his hits were power punches not jabs.

Mayweather gave him the first 3 rounds.

This wasnt a competitive fight. I wont entertain that notion at all.

Jezbollah

And no, Mayweather has no interest in getting in an octagon. It would have been as ridiculous as this fight was.

Yeah, this is the crux of it. Time for everyone to go back to their day jobs.

I hope this means though that there are a few thousand more fans of each other's sport though.

Maxim726X

Except he didn't win the first four rounds, not even on the most generous judges score card.

It was obvious that Floyd was feeling him out, and he clearly turned it up once Connor was gassed.

I'm not big into either boxing or MMA and it was clear as day.

The fight was never close.

Dana defended Conors performance and basically said he never wants one of his fighters to box again lol

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Casual here, only seen a couple of Mayweather fights and binged watch Lomenchenk fights. The eye test made Conor look like he won the first tree rounds but I knew it was only because he was the aggressor. I felt like Mayweather walked into the first round and did the Birdman hand rub in his head. Conor was just doing too much and none of it was actually doing anything.

I mean Mayweather was literally in his corner, telling his trainers he didn't need water or whatever else they do in the corner lol.

Are you seriously asking me if I've ever watched Mayweather fight? Do you think you're talking to a newbie?

I've been watching Floyd since 2005, I've seen every fight of his career and I know the difference between PBF and how he changed into Money after breaking his hands on Hernandez face.

So yes, I have watched Floyd. Have you?

Conor McGregor, an MMA fighter making his boxing debut won the first four rounds against one of the best boxers of all time, and had a competitive fight up until the 10th round.

If anyone even entertains the notion that it isn't very impressed, go on and be set in your biased ways.
OH I am definitely serious asking you this considering you still are proving to me you're lacking knowledge as to what I'm referring. Didn't you notice how Floyd did not box the way he did with his opponents from the last "10 years"? Don't you think it plays a huge role as to why Conor landed so many shots in the first place?

It would be as impressive as you say if Floyd actually did put the effort into defending as good as he's used too. You just cant say that as if those stats weight remotely the same as the actual contenders stats Floyd fought with these last 10 years. That's garbage. That's all.

Floyd pretty much said in the interview that his approach to the fight was for the fans, that he wanted to be more aggressive and stop him. So that's immediately him going outside his comfort zone, a zone he's been in for years. The first three rounds was literally just downloading, he probably knew he was going to lose them given how little punches overall he was throwing.

If Floyd took this 100% serious, was a title fight and saw Conor as a serious threat he would of turned back into the defensive genius he's known for. The code that nobody has been able to break. If he can school someone like Caleno like this, he would of schooled Conor, every round, despite him being 40.

But then everyone would call the fight boring. Floyd knew he would win either way, so just did it to entertain.

McGregor looked very, very impressive. He's landed more punches than most of Floyd's opponents in the last 10 years bar Cotto, and around the same amount Canelo landed in 12 rounds. Unbelievable that of all people to do that to Floyd, an MMA fighter.

I had him up four rounds but outside of how competitive it was, it went as I thought it would.

Great fight, bit of a shame the big show has come and gone. Good for Floyd for ending with a bang.

I'd love to see more crossover fights.

How in the world did Coner look impressive? I think you are failing to notice that Mayweather for most of the fight was open, certainly wasn't using guards like he normally does and rarely even utilised the technical side that he is so well known for. Very few punches that Coner landed had any snap to them, there wasn't a single punch that looked to bother Floyd. Mayweather was so loose and led with his head multiple times and Mcgreggor never even noticed. Round eight was the only round where it looked like Coner had something, by boxing standards it wasn't great but was really just a last grasp as McGregor had totally gone in the ninth. Mayweather looked like he had finished an easy sparing session at the end.

I'd only like to see more crossover fights to show how a naturally aggressive boxer with power behind them would bring it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So what is the future for Mcgregor in the UFC? Retirement? How much did he make off this fight exactly.

McGregor's name is huge dude. He can get a fight in UFC whenever he wants.

The world is his oyster. Conor made 30 million for completing the fight, minimum. Don't know yet how much he's making off the PPV. I would be surprised if he doesn't walk away with $100+ million.

He could retire tonight. But dude could still make money in UFC, so why stop?

overcast

He'll fight Nate Diaz next likely. Also likely to be in December.

He will make 100+ million.

I'm seeing £75 million.

I wonder why he would ever fight again for anything other than fun.

If he likes his belts, he'll be defending his lightweight championship against Khabib Nurmagomedov in Russia.
Sounds like it's probably up in the air then? Holy fuck though I thought he was projected to make 50 million. Insane.

zewone

If he likes his belts, he'll be defending his lightweight championship against Khabib Nurmagomedov in Russia.
Khabib can't make weight. Conor won't waste his time with him until he proves to be professional.

Khabib turned down a rescheduled fight with Tony with is why Kevin Lee is fighting for the interim.

Laieon

As someone who has never watched boxing before and has only watched UFC maybe once or twice, definitely think McGregor was the more impressive of the two. He may have lost the match, but he definitely won me as a fan.

Syder

Mayweather only took 9 shots in the first 3 round. The next 161 hits came after the 3rd. 152 of his hits were power punches not jabs.

Mayweather gave him the first 3 rounds.

This wasnt a competitive fight. I wont entertain that notion at all.
The power of the very few early Mayweather shots were showing on Conor's face.

Meanwhile...
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DINitVeUQAAgRG8.jpg[/IMG]
Better hide the Tiramisu if Dana wants this fight to happen.

Khabib will never get Conor.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Floyd pretty much said in the interview that his approach to the fight was for the fans, that he wanted to be more aggressive and stop him. So that's immediately him going outside his comfort zone, a zone he's been in for years. The first three rounds was literally just downloading, he probably knew he was going to lose them given how little punches overall he was throwing.

If Floyd took this 100% serious, was a title fight and saw Conor as a serious threat he would of turned back into the defensive genius he's known for. The code that nobody has been able to break. If he can school someone like Caleno like this, he would of schooled Conor, every round, despite him being 40.

But then everyone would call the fight boring. Floyd knew he would win either way, so just did it to entertain.

Y'know what, I'll give Floyd that. He did keep it entertaining. He was far more aggressive than he's been in years, and he obviously kept himself open enough that he got folks thinking that it was competitive.

BradC00

As someone who has never watched boxing before and has only watched UFC maybe once or twice, definitely think McGregor was the more impressive of the two. He may have lost the match, but he definitely won me as a fan.

what timeline am i living in where the more impressive fighter is the one who lands less punches, gets gassed within 12 minutes of the fight and gets TKO'd by a 40 year old?

the darkest timeline

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

At least you had fun!

Tubie

I wonder how hard Dana tries to protect Conor in UFC now lol.

Imagine the scenes if he loses his next UFC match.

What would Dana have left but the corpses of Ronda and Conor?

commedieu

Banned

Youve never bothered to watch boxing in your entire life. You've made time for ufc, maybe twice.

You watched a chess match between a novice and a computer that decided to make it interesting for the crowd for a few plays, then end it when it wanted to. youre giving the novice credit for being a pawn.

I see this is the messaging on YouTube too.. apparently, even though nobody watches boxing..but..

They can tell an impressive performance in boxing, when they see one. And some how ignore all of conors lack of ability to box, and his wrestling moves + illegal hits...

Jombie

People trying to justify the hype and paying for the ppv. The match was never in doubt, dude played right into Mayweather's hands.

was it the punches he threw to the back of the head? Did he just look cool to you out there? I need some details bud!

Nafai1123

Banned
I wonder how hard Dana tries to protect Conor in UFC now lol.

Imagine the scenes if he loses his next UFC match.

What would Dana have left but the corpses of Ronda and Conor?

He needs to stop pretending that undefeated fighters are supposed to be the norm instead of once-in-a-generation talents. It dilutes the perception of skill when they inevitably lose, which hurts the sport overall.

It would also help if he actually paid his fighters what they're worth.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
People trying to justify the hype and paying for the ppv. The match was never in doubt, dude played right into Mayweather's hands.

I didn't pay for it; but it was certainly enjoyable to see mayweather go for a knockout. Also getting to see the cliff of a skill gap was great too. It was something unique, not boxing, not a clinic, more of a deconstruction of what is skill really in the sport of boxing

Top Bottom