• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

That looks fucking cool ... like dbz or some shit
source.gif

BradC00

☝️

i don't care if he's never watched boxing before. the party i was at had tons of people who aren't into boxing but love McGregor and you could feel their mood changing around round 3. I told everyone I had May in the 9th by TKO before the fight, and during the first 3 rounds, they kept saying "oh you are real quiet all of a sudden" (i wasn't talking trash or anything before or during the fight, but they were trash talking rounds 1-3) and then around round 3 everyone else got less confident, and when they saw the showtime judges score after round 6 at 3-3, they knew it was over and conor was getting outclassed.

Tubie

My dad is a Boxing only old timer.

He called me after the fight and told me it was the first Floyd fight he has enjoyed in years, because of the way Floyd actually set the whole strategy of the fight up and it worked in impressive fashion. He was never fooled by the first 3 rounds.

thsantos

As someone who has never watched boxing before and has only watched UFC maybe once or twice, definitely think McGregor was the more impressive of the two. He may have lost the match, but he definitely won me as a fan.

I can see that you've never watched boxing before.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
"McGregor did way better than I thought he would and he was the real winner"

Meanwhile, end of second round McGregor looks like he just ran a marathon and Mayweather's watchin' TV. His only good shots this fight were to the back of the head, lol.

Sorry I'm on a time delay here, this match is a joke. It's just like any other Mayweather fight, he had a clear gameplan and he executed it perfectly, as usual.

I mean shit end of round three and Mayweather is trying hard to keep from laughing.

BradC00

"He ain't that fast"

"He doesn't hit hard"

That's pretty fucking weird you are saying that as you backpedaled the entire fight. You would think someone that wasn't hitting hard you'd just be able to run at them and dominate them, kind of like how May ran at Conor and dominated him.

commedieu

Banned

He called me after the fight and told me it was the first Floyd fight he has enjoyed in years, because of the way Floyd actually set the whole strategy of the fight up and it worked in impressive fashion. He was never fooled by the first 3 rounds.

I knew something was up in the middle of round 2.

Conor didn't have the power he thought he would. Or the ease of the blow. And may was tiring him out. Then the illegal hits and the weird wrestling hit. I went in as a team conor. So it was bizarre to watch.

I really thought the ref was going to deduct a point for all the punches to the back of the head......or Conor would eventually forget he was in a boxing match and start pounding shots in the clinch lol

I'm just glad it's over, if I hadn't been working tonight I'd definitely have stayed home

Tubie

I really thought the ref was going to deduct a point for all the punches to the back of the head......or Conor would eventually forget he was in a boxing match and start pounding shots in the clinch lol

The ref would have if this was a normal fight. I think he didn't want to be used as an excuse later on, so he gave Conor a TON of rope.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I was entertained because Mayweather was aggressive, but this match was never in doubt. It was great to see an all-time master to for the kill in his last match.

Mayweather 50-0,regardless of competition, it's impressive as hell.

zewone

What normally happens when one guy circles left and the other guy just stands there wish his back turned?

I thought it was weird Mayweather kept doing that.

The ref even scolded him for it.

CrocoDuck

Looking at the fight again, (it's on YouTube already, LOL) your pops is right. I was a little blindsided by it because I'm not used to seeing Floyd fight like this, also because the atmosphere in the bar was hectic. But watching the replay it's pretty clear that Mayweather had it in the bag since round one.

Tubie

Being so heavy also hurt McGregor.

And people thought coming in at 170 against a guy who's walking and fighting weight are the same 150, would be an advantage to Conor.

Syder

Floyd's movements made me think he was doing his best to make sure there wasn't a deduction.

Conor's hammerfists legit had me rolling.

I don't know what ppl say when they say Connor looked more impressive. I think the hardest shots he landed were those cheap ones to the back of May's head.

Aiii

So not worth it
This was a fun match to watch. Connor never had a chance, but he surprised me at least.

People thinking this somehow hurt McGregor? Just weird to me. His loss to Diaz was way more damaging and he came back from that just fine. This just helped his name get even bigger.

I kinda wish they would do a MMA match down the line, but McGregor would submit him in the first round so it wouldn't realistically be any fun.

zewone

And people thought coming in at 170 against a guy who's walking and fighting weight are the same 150, would be an advantage to Conor.
It was. His best shot at winning was a KO, so him going full throttle early and heavy was the right strategy for him.

Sure, it didn't end up working bit it was absolutely the right decision. He was never going to win on points.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't know what ppl say when they say Connor looked more impressive. I think the hardest shots he landed were those cheap ones to the back of May's head.

Seriously. I had racist fucks where I was watching it proclaiming Connor the greatest after three rounds, I was just rolling. The setup was the most obvious thing ever.

Tubie

It was. His best shot at winning was a KO, so him going full throttle early and heavy was the right strategy for him.

Sure, it didn't end up working bit it was absolutely the right decision. He was never going to win on points.

How can you KO someone you can't even hit properly or keep up with for more than 3 rounds tho?

The extra weight just slowed him down pretty fast into the fight.

commedieu

Banned
I'm actually surprised that Mcgregor did as well as he did. Thought for sure he'd be a goner in the first couple of rounds.

What is this based on? Floyd has some history of running out like the ultimate warrior and knocking people out immediately?

Or is he literally known as one of the great boxing defenders... of this era?

Floyd literally threw what? 6 punches in 3 rounds???

And people are acting amazed.

Strax

This might have been the worst outcome for boxing, as a whole, except for Conor winning on points. People who don't watch boxing just saw, in their mind, a UFC guy lose because of worse stamina against a boxer people claim to be one of the greatest of all time.

zewone

How can you KO someone you can't even hit properly or keep up with for more than 3 rounds tho?

mayweather-mcgregor-uppercut-boxing-1300.jpg

He was able to land some big shots. They just didn't stop Floyd like he had imagined.

And he was planning to end it early. He said it over and over again. I don't think he ever saw it going 12 rounds.

And?

It was still the best plan of attack, "overweight" or not. He wasn't going to win the fight in a length he'd never fought before, in a professional sport he had never really competed at the highest level in.

Gotta knock him out early or it's already over.

Mayweather also knew he had to ride out the first few rounds and wait for him to tire out and then he could toy with the guy.

Both fighters executed their gameplans as best they could; Mayweather was better conditioned and the better boxer. Of course he won.

Oh, interesting. Never thought of Nick coming back down to 155. Makes sense though.

That's going to trigger Tony Fergurson..

Nate.

And he's been a 155er his entire career barring an unsuccessful stint at 170.

Don't buy into the bullshit he'd struggle making weight. He's only ever once missed weight and that was when he was ill.

Dynomutt

Kinda wish the ref did not stop the match. One good star inducing left hook to the temple or chin shot would have been kinda satisfying and definitive. But all in all good show not we can be done with the arm chair analysis.

Tubie

He was able to land some big shots. They just didn't stop Floyd like he had imagined.

And he was planning to end it early. He said it over and over again. I don't think he ever saw it going 12 rounds.

You are showing me the 1 clear punch he landed all night.

But on the whole you might be right, Conor's only strategy was the miracle punch.

BradC00

that was probably the only big shot he had and it was in the first round.

and didn't even phase mayweather. he kept coming after that.

overcast

This might have been the worst outcome for boxing, as a whole, except for Conor winning on points. People who don't watch boxing just saw, in their mind, a UFC guy lose because of worse stamina against a boxer people claim to be one of the greatest of all time.
How is that a problem? Stamina is crucial in both sports.

Tubie

Stamina is like the first thing you need to even step into a Boxing ring.

Can't believe people are downplaying that.

That was allot of fun. Never expected McGregor to last as long as he did. Early stoppage? Sure, but I was honestly fine with it. Mayweather was on his way to knocking McGregor out.

Top Bottom