• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Was cheering for May as a boxing fan generally, not cause I like May. Got into an argument with my buddy after round six saying it was a joke of a fight and going May's way the whole time and was eventually proved right shortly after. I think this is a huge boon to boxing frankly.

Tubie

Was cheering for May as a boxing fan generally, not cause I like May. Got into an argument with my buddy after round six saying it was a joke of a fight and going May's way the whole time and was eventually proved right shortly after. I think this is a huge boon to boxing frankly.

I hope people tune in to Canelo-GGG cause that will be the type of fight non-boxing fans think boxing should always be.

And?

It was still the best plan of attack, "overweight" or not. He wasn't going to win the fight in a length he'd never fought before, in a professional sport he had never really competed at the highest level in.

Gotta knock him out early or it's already over.

Mayweather also knew he had to ride out the first few rounds and wait for him to tire out and then he could toy with the guy.

Both fighters executed their gameplans as best they could; Mayweather was better conditioned and the better boxer. Of course he won.
I wonder if McGregor was a bit mentally defeated when those early rounds passed and he didn't have Mayweather beaten

I think McGregor should have learned a bit of turtling up in defence. It could have helped him weather things a lot better when he depleted

PhineBuyM3

"I TURNED HIM INTO A MEXICAN!
krs.png
"

gucci3.png
Yo, what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

PR_rambo

Banned
I hope people tune in to Canelo-GGG cause that will be the type of fight non-boxing fans think boxing should always be.
I don't think this helps or hurts GGG-Canelo, boxing fans were always going to watch it, MMA fans were only invested in Conor.

Moze

Banned
People will see what they want in a fight. I saw a very sloppy performance from Conor. I saw him win the first round due to Floyd eyeing him and then I saw him start to wear down in the forth round. By the 7th round, Conor was very clearly done and could barely stand.

Anyone who saw a competitive fight is delusional.

And the stoppage was fine. Conor was staggering around and barely throwing any shots for 3 rounds by that point.

Derwind

People will see what they want in a fight. I saw a very sloppy performance from Conor. I saw him win the first round due to Floyd eyeing him and then I saw him start to wear down in the forth round. By the 7th round, Conor was very clearly done and could barely stand.

Anyone who saw a competitive fight is delusional.

Done and done.

What is this based on? Floyd has some history of running out like the ultimate warrior and knocking people out immediately?

Or is he literally known as one of the great boxing defenders... of this era?

Floyd literally threw what? 6 punches in 3 rounds???

And people are acting amazed.

McGregor is pretty much a total boxing amateur. Floyd is the best of all time in boxing in that weight class.

McGregor is pretty much a total boxing amateur. Floyd is the best of all time in boxing in that weight class.

I don't see the point of this. Mayweather is never going to rush forward and go for the early finish, even if he was fighting his own grandmother. It's just not gonna happen because that who he is. Like I was saying earlier, I would love to see Conor in those first three rounds against Canelo or GGG and see how he makes out.

As someone who dislikes Mayweather and has waited for him to lose for years, his style is boring and frustrating but it works and he won't change it no matter who he fights.

pbayne

Shame i skipped it because the build-up was crap(the most interesting pert was trying to guess how many ppv buys it would do, the interviews were super boring) but sounds like the fight was a bit more entertaining than everyone expected(though it was still very one-sided).

Just saw the finish. Lol Conor is in lalaland.

I don't see the point of this. Mayweather is never going to rush forward and go for the early finish, even if he was fighting his own grandmother. It's just not gonna happen because that who he is. Like I was saying earlier, I would love to see Conor in those first three rounds against Canelo or GGG and see how he makes out.

As someone who dislikes Mayweather and has waited for him to lose for years, his style is boring and frustrating but it works and he won't change it no matter who he fights.
I'd like to see McGregor go around in boxing with a year of experience, proper training and abit of ladder climbing. He has something to work with but is way too raw against a seasoned pro in this ring

But I'd rather see him back in MMA

Interested either way in his next steps

Moze

Banned
What? Or did I miss read something?

Why do you want to see somebody beaten up if they can't fight back? Floyd lacks the power to KO somebody like people want to see. That can actually be bad for head trauma. Eubank Jnr has this issue and ended almost killing a fighter because he could not get a clean KO and end the fight.

Connor had 3 good rounds. He should be proud.

He was given three rounds. But his punches were incredibly weak. They might rock an MMA fighter, but they would not hurt a professional boxer. It was obvious that Maywheater let him play for the first three-four rounds before punishing him.

Mcgregor should be glad he did not sign against a heavy puncher like Golovkin; He would have had his head bashed in 12 seconds...

A ref's job is to protect the fighters. Would be stupid to let McGreggor eat more shots for a 'cooler' end.

So wait... Any time there's a K.O., that's out of the ref's control?

Eitherway, I don't think he would of suffered a concussion or anything. Although, I get why they wouldn't risk it.

Top Bottom