• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Conor did way better than I thought. I wasn't sure if he would land a punch never mind win a round.

quote-now-some-say-it-is-unfair-to-hold-disadvantaged-children-to-rigorous-standards-i-say-it-is-george-w-bush-304152.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, was definitely surprised Conor lasted as long as he did. He came in and didn't completely embarrass himself, and earned a cool $30 mil, so I'd say he did what he came to do and isn't losing much sleep over his loss.

But the real winners are the Corona girls (the blonde one and the brunette who was behind Conor while he was talking after the fight trying to understand what he was saying).

Why do you want to see somebody beaten up if they can't fight back? Floyd lacks the power to KO somebody like people want to see. That can actually be bad for head trauma. Eubank Jnr has this issue and ended almost killing a fighter because he could not get a clean KO and end the fight.

Well of course not, but I get it though.

What an incredibly ignorant post.

How so? I'm talking about their fans, not all of them of course. But many including Joe Rogan and Conor Mcgregor etc.

MMA lends itself to be entertaining to many without the person watching having to know anything to be entertained far more than boxing.

Edit: included Conor after tonight's poor display.

ArjanN

He's past his prime. That means a lot. Not a whole lot, I'll agree. But that's a damn fine pin to have on your chest as a 40 year old champ. At the height of ufc popularity.

That has to feel good. And it really highlights the end of boxing vs mma. There is something of value here. Not a ton. But, a lot less folks are in this thread..

Oddly enough.

There's some symbolic value I guess, and Floyd did dominate but at the same time Floyd can't really boast too hard about beating an MMA fighter at boxing. That's kinda like how I could beat both of them in, say, Street Fighter V.

I bet Aaron Pryor would've knocked McGregor out in the first round. Which confirms to me that Aaron Pryor is better than Mayweather and is the best non-heavyweight ever.

That's not even fair. Pryor would have absolutely killed him. Conor would not even think of taking that fight. We should say someone that he might fight like Salvador Sanchez

Klocker

Fucking white people man.

My girlfriend and I are white and we watched it together and she wanted McGregor because she thought Tom Hardy could play him n the movie... lol

I wanted Mayweather to sweet-science his ass out of the ring.

Was happy but wanted the ref to let Mayweather put him down and see if he could get back up for 11, 12

But yea some of those reactions salty as hell idiots

Derwind

There's some symbolic value I guess, but at the same time Floyd can't really boast too hard about beating an MMA fighter at boxing. That's kinda like how I could beat both of them in, say, Street Fighter V.

Surrounding this whole fight, there were literally people infering that MMA hits would be more effective than a boxers punch.

Mayweather wasnt even fazed, walking into the punches and was laughing through the whole fight despite the two being highly regarded fighters.

No doubt Mayweather loses in the Octagon but he has every right to boast after reminding people boxing is a very technical game and no amount of MMA training is going to mean shit in that ring.

Vagabundo

So he lasted 10 rounds? That's pretty good. Did Mayweather go easy on him?

Not really, Conor looks like a pain for Floyd to fight. Then Conor gassed out and that was that. It would have went the distance if Conor had more in the tank.

Conor kept hammering him on the back of the head too and punched him in the nuts as well.

I never thought about the racial thing for some reason. Guess I just didn't get much of it here.
Nekketsu Kõha;247091788 said:
How so? I'm talking about their fans, not all of them of course. But many including Joe Rogan etc.

MMA lends itself to be entertaining to many without the person watching having to know anything to be entertained far more than boxing.
Post made it seem like MMA was this blood sport for meat heads who "don't have to think". Don't see much discrepancy between MMA and boxing masses myself.

Strax

How is that a problem? Stamina is crucial in both sports.

This match could've made boxing relevant for the first time in years. Mayweather not knocking Conor out until the 10th round is a huge win for UFC/MMA in the eyes of many. Winning on stamina isn't bringing in new fans.

This match could've made boxing relevant for the first time in years. Mayweather not knocking Conor out until the 10th round is a huge win for UFC/MMA in the eyes of many. Winning on stamina isn't bringing in new fans.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stupider.

JettDash

Floyd doesn't give a shit about making boxing more relevant.

His goal was to get to 50-0 and collect his $300m.

Derwind

Not really, Conor looks like a pain for Floyd to fight. Then Conor gassed out and that was that. It would have went the distance if Conor had more in the tank.

Conor kept hammering him on the back of the head too and punched him in the nuts as well.

Mayweather only shot 9 punches in the first 3 rounds, hit another 161 for the rest of the match, landed over 50% of his punches, kept pressuring Conor and kept closing the distance as Conor continued to backpedal.

Floyd knew he couldnt go the distance and straight yoyed with McGregor.

There's some symbolic value I guess, and Floyd did dominate but at the same time Floyd can't really boast too hard about beating an MMA fighter at boxing. That's kinda like how I could beat both of them in, say, Street Fighter V.

If crocop could beat up mma fighters in his prime, then a world class boxer can. I dont get this UFC bro fight gym stuff in here.

ApharmdX

Banned
Interesting fight. McGregor overperformed early- perhaps PBF let him? Some things to note:

-Mayweather was the stronger man and had better power. For an MMA fighter Conor has top power and Floyd is average power at this weight, but Mayweather had more power in the ring tonight.
-Mayweather was extremely strong in the clinch. Lots of subtle technique.
-Conor actually did show him different angles! He was able to land early well and Mayweather never really used his shell defense.
-Conor's jab was nice early. He surprised me with that.

If Mayweather went into MMA at a younger age, he'd have been an all-time great. I think that's my takeaway from this fight. Mayweather would have been a transcendent MMA fighter. I remember a couple of years ago posters said that Rousey would have beaten him. Really? LOL. Floyd is a world-class athlete. Skill disparity aside. With basic takedown defense PBF would crush most UFC LWs and FWs.

Anyway, no disrespect to McGregor. He went and fought well against the best boxer of our era.

Oh, haha. Okay. Hope i can rewatch it somewhere.

Vagabundo

Mayweather only shot 9 punches in the first 3 rounds, hit another 161 for the rest of the match, landed over 50% of his punches, kept pressuring Conor and kept closing the distance as Conor continued to backpedal.

Floyd knew he couldnt go the distance and straight yoyed with McGregor.

Floyd went to town as soon as Conor gassed. You could see if from how he was holding his gloves by the 5th. I've no idea why they don't work on his stamina, maybe he's just not physically capable of improving it or its his fighting style, but he's the same in MMA.

I expected more from Floyd in some ways, and Conor surprised me in others.

JettDash

Interesting fight. McGregor overperformed early- perhaps PBF let him? Some things to note:

-Mayweather was the stronger man and had better power. For an MMA fighter Conor has top power and Floyd is average power at this weight, but Mayweather had more power in the ring tonight.
-Mayweather was extremely strong in the clinch. Lots of subtle technique.
-Conor actually did show him different angles! He was able to land early well and Mayweather never really used his shell defense.
-Conor's jab was nice early. He surprised me with that.

If Mayweather went into MMA at a younger age, he'd have been an all-time great. I think that's my takeaway from this fight. Mayweather would have been a transcendent MMA fighter. I remember a couple of years ago posters said that Rousey would have beaten him. Really? LOL. Floyd is a world-class athlete. Skill disparity aside. With basic takedown defense PBF would crush most UFC LWs and FWs.

Anyway, no disrespect to McGregor. He went and fought well against the best boxer of our era.

And a man.

Nekketsu Kõha;247092298 said:
He actually does a lot for boxing and fighters.

Besides making money for himself? Not a sarcastic question.

ApharmdX

Banned
Floyd went to town as soon as Conor gassed. You could see if from how he was holding his gloves by the 5th. I've no idea why they don't work on his stamina, maybe he's just not physically capable of improving it or its his fighting style, but he's the same in MMA.

Yeah the same thing happened versus Diaz in the first fight. Conor is a sprinter and not a distance runner. I thought he did a good job conserving his energy tonight for the first 3-4 but once Floyd started turning up the pressure it fucked Conor's gas tank up.

Goron2000

best junior ever
We all know how Floyd fights and if he was genuinely under any kind of pressure he wouldn't have been the aggressor of the fight.

Oersted

There is.a point to be made that many marks don't see the dominance anymore, if one of the two doesn't get knocked out, bloody or has to tap out.

Derwind

Had Conor showed Mayweather he had the stamina to fight all 12 rounds, Mayweather would just go on the defensive & counter the rest of the match.

But you could tell by how unguarded and direct Mayweather was fighting after the 3rd, you knew that he knew the fight was heavily in his favour.

I don't see the point of this. Mayweather is never going to rush forward and go for the early finish, even if he was fighting his own grandmother. It's just not gonna happen because that who he is. Like I was saying earlier, I would love to see Conor in those first three rounds against Canelo or GGG and see how he makes out.

As someone who dislikes Mayweather and has waited for him to lose for years, his style is boring and frustrating but it works and he won't change it no matter who he fights.

I just thought he might figure he could beat him early since there is a huge skills gap. Why even wait 10 rounds. Still think floyd would have won early even when connor wasn't tired.

Socreges

Banned
Those white people sure did. But i bet a lot of white people couldn't care less about Conor losing.
Well, yeah. Or is a mashup of some salty white MMA fans supposed to be somehow representative of white people?

I'm white and was cheering for Mayweather, if anyone (even though he's a piece of shit, McGregor is even worse). Most people I spoke to, like myself, weren't invested in who wins. Watched for the spectacle of it.

JettDash

Hasn't stopped him before.

LOL my point is than men>women in sports.

I still find it amazing that people thought (or still think) that Ronda could beat Floyd in a fight.

Then again we live in a universe where people think that Donald Trump is a good president.

Well, yeah. Or is a mashup of some salty white MMA fans supposed to be somehow representative of white people?

I'm white and was cheering for Mayweather, if anyone (even though he's a piece of shit, McGregor is even worse). Most people I spoke to, like myself, weren't invested in who wins. Watched for the spectacle of it.
tumblr_n6kp7mKnr41saykaxo2_r1_400.gif

Edit: Shit sorry lol. You have the same av this other dude.

I don't know that MacGregor will ever have true stamina. He spent his whole career cutting enough weight to fight almost two divisions lower than his hydrated weight just so he could be a monster at lower levels. I don't know how well his body would hold up.

Top Bottom