• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Well, yeah. Or is a mashup of some salty white MMA fans supposed to be somehow representative of white people?

I'm white and was cheering for Mayweather, if anyone (even though he's a piece of shit, McGregor is even worse). Most people I spoke to, like myself, weren't invested in who wins. Watched for the spectacle of it.
It's not representative of white people (Hence why I didn't say so when I posted the link), I was talking to a lot of pro-Mayweather white people today.
But the racial element to this fight or even fights in general has always existed, which the video highlights.

Strax

there will be more of this when the talk shows start spouting talking points for UFC fans.

This has nothing to do with UFC fans. I know alot of people who've never seen a boxing match or UFC match that watched this fight. This was a chance to make new boxing fans but this fight only damaged boxing. Boxing fans were calling this a farce and a walk in the park for Mayweather, so Conor lasting 10 rounds looks really impressive to non-boxing fans.

Decent fight and Floyd shown again what a top fighter he is.

After a few rounds Floyd started walking Conor back. Conor couldn't really find any inroads The solid turtle like defence and rapid punching of Floyd is so difficult. If you have the energy to last then you still lose on points.

Thought Conor did a respectable job considering, better than some professional boxers have tried. Ultimately he didn't have the tools or the conditioning, boxing is no joke and Floyd is one of the best.

The build-up with the highlights of all Floyds old fights was a great reminder of just how good he is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If crocop could beat up mma fighters in his prime, then a world class boxer can

Mirko's peak in MMA was 2004, arguably, vs Fedor. He started in Pride with special rules accommodating his lack of ground game, and by the time he was fighting proper MMA rules against legit opponents he had a non-trivial amount of BJJ and wrestling training in the tank and was spending the bulk of his training time shoring that up. He still got subbed by Nogueira (in an exciting fight, certainly) and dismantled both standing and on the ground by Fedor, but he put up a good showing for sure considering he was a career K-1 guy who hopped over relatively late.

2000-2004 era MMA isn't 2017 MMA, though. The landscape of the sport's way different now. Back in those days everyone had a firm specialization and then went into crosstraining later on when they started fighting under MMA rules, and it was more of a distinct clash of styles still, but now almost all the top MMA competitors are BJJ black belts (or on the way) with strong wrestling and dangerous striking, who started crosstraining specifically for MMA from the beginning. Any obvious shortcoming will be targeted and punished by today's fighters.

So...not really, no.

Socreges

Banned
tumblr_n6kp7mKnr41saykaxo2_r1_400.gif

Edit: Shit sorry lol. You have the same av this other dude.
haha. There are a few NHL fans who copied my avatar for jokes

It's not representative of white people (Henry why I didn't say so when I posted the link), I was talking to a lot of pro-Mayweather white people today.
But the racial element to this fight or even fights in general has always existed, which the video highlights.
Absolutely. In some cases it might be an MMA thing for white folk but no doubt race plays in. Like someone else said it's similar to the OJ trial.

shaneo632

Managed to watch it on YouTube without getting spoiled. Glad the racist fuck lost, but props to him for actually putting up a decent fight in the early going.

Conor did way better than I thought. I wasn't sure if he would land a punch never mind win a round.

I don't understand this way of thinking. Conor is a martial artist with a striking base who's been KO-ing everyone they put in front of him. He only has one submission victory. It's not like they just picked some bum off the street and put boxing gloves on him.

Well OJ should have lost. So white people have that.

No he shouldn't have. That doesn't mean he wasn't guilty, but it's a disservice to how great the defense was and how poor the prosecution was and all the other variables that worked in the defense's favor or that they expertly exploited.

JettDash

No he shouldn't have. That doesn't mean he wasn't guilty, but it's a disservice to how great the defense was and how poor the prosecution was and all the other variables that worked in the defense's favor or that they expertly exploited.

It was largely because people didn't understand DNA evidence back then. Though the prosecution wasn't that great.

Matty8787

What normally happens when one guy circles left and the other guy just stands there wish his back turned?

I thought it was weird Mayweather kept doing that.

The ref even scolded him for it.

I think Mayweather was trying for the DQ with that back turning, trying to goad McGregor into using the hammer fist.

kmax

* Impressed by McGregor. Just goes to show that people simply underestimated him.
* Floyd is a well oiled killing machine, and his technique, stamina and mentality are unparalleled. Just the element of McGregor would throw any fighter off, not to mention the immense pressure to perform. Amazing composure.
* It would of been interesting to see how the fight fared if Connor had the stamina.

Great fight. Much better than the Pacquiao fight.

abuC

Mirko's peak in MMA was 2004, arguably, vs Fedor. He started in Pride with special rules accommodating his lack of ground game, and by the time he was fighting proper MMA rules against legit opponents he had a non-trivial amount of BJJ and wrestling training in the tank and was spending the bulk of his training time shoring that up. He still got subbed by Nogueira (in an exciting fight, certainly) and dismantled both standing and on the ground by Fedor, but he put up a good showing for sure considering he was a career K-1 guy who hopped over relatively late.

2000-2004 era MMA isn't 2017 MMA, though. The landscape of the sport's way different now. Back in those days everyone had a firm specialization and then went into crosstraining later on when they started fighting under MMA rules, and it was more of a distinct clash of styles still, but now almost all the top MMA competitors are BJJ black belts (or on the way) with strong wrestling and dangerous striking, who started crosstraining specifically for MMA from the beginning. Any obvious shortcoming will be targeted and punished by today's fighters.

So...not really, no.

Kermit Cintron would have killed in the UFC, he was an IBF champion, 39 wins, 30KOs and was a college wrestler. He could have fought in the same weight class as Conor with the same physical advantages with a 74" reach and much more power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH23Qu2HEY0&t=160s

Golovkin was also a wrestler as well, you put either of these guys into the UFC and they clear out their weight classes.

That shit wouldn't have worked nowadays.

It probably wouldn't have but I don't know because it was more than just DNA evidence, however you definitely don't have the same circumstances and variables nor the time and place the trial took place in.

I think you really need to look over the case again, and see how bad the prosecution fucked up and how well the defense was able to exploit that and poke holes in the prosecutions experts and witnesses.

I don't understand this way of thinking. Conor is a martial artist with a striking base who's been KO-ing everyone they put in front of him. He only has one submission victory. It's not like they just picked some bum off the street and put boxing gloves on him.

Yeah, but still he ain't no boxer...that's for sure. MMA lends itself to haymakers since there is no padding on the gloves and no padded gloves to absorb most of the punches umph on the defensive end. There is a huge striking skills gulf between boxers and mma guys. MMA guys get around this by rounding out their capabilities in other ways (wrestling, grappling, submission, elbows, knees, kicks).

Boxers are always going to have a leg up on striking technique, stamina, and long-game strategy. Result was expected. Honestly didn't think Connor was going to last 10 rounds with pressure. Thought he'd truly gas out far before that (like by the 4th or 5th round), and be done by that point.

JettDash

Where is that gaffer that put $100,000 dollars on McGregor?
Damn, I can't imagine that pain.

That was me.

I faked the screenshot. Kinda surprised people fell for it to tell the truth.

I actually bet $2k on Floyd.

Then promptly lost my winnings playing blackjack.

LOL

Jindrax

I bet Aaron Pryor would've knocked McGregor out in the first round. Which confirms to me that Aaron Pryor is better than Mayweather and is the best non-heavyweight ever.

I totally do not care about what you're saying but this is just an amazing sentence and thought process.

Because YOU bet that Aarom Pryor would have knocked out Conor, THAT confirms that Aaron is better than Floyd? Unless you're the ultimate source of boxing knowledge of course, that statement is just silly hahahahah

Kermit Cintron would have killed in the UFC, he was an IBF champion, 39 wins, 30KOs and was a college wrestler. He could have fought in the same weight class as Conor with the same physical advantages with a 74" reach and much more power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH23Qu2HEY0&t=160s

Golovkin was also a wrestler as well, you put either of these guys into the UFC and they clear out their weight classes.

Terrence Crawford was also a wrestler. If guys like Conor and the Iceman can dominate the UFC with subpar boxing and good take down defense, just imagine what these guys would do.

SkylineRKR

Conor never stood a chance. Floyd has more than a decade of experience in boxing, is tactically one of the finest. I think he's boring, but it works. Its like Rico Verhoeven, mostly fighting for ponts. I don't like it.

Conor might think he was good the first few rounds, but he didn't even hurt Floyd. He just knew Conor would fatique, having no experience with 12 round bouts. I think Floyd just wanted to make his last fight a long one, he could've finished Conor after round 4 or so.

In the end Floyd grabs another few 100 million and Conor gets an assload of moneybags too. They're laughing anyway.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn, Mayweather just took over after round 3 huh?

Still, respectable performance by McGregor. Mayweather had to take some time to dial in the punches and took some to the dome himself. He looked unprepared as hell the first few rounds.

Both fighters can sit back and just enjoy the cash flow right now. Mayweather still the GOAT, but McGregor earned some respect by at least putting in work.

Vagabundo

Yeah, but still he ain't no boxer...that's for sure. MMA lends itself to haymakers since there is no padding on the gloves and no padded gloves to absorb most of the punches umph on the defensive end. There is a huge striking skills gulf between boxers and mma guys. MMA guys get around this by rounding out their capabilities in other ways (wrestling, grappling, submission, elbows, knees, kicks).

Boxers are always going to have a leg up on striking technique, stamina, and long-game strategy. Result was expected. Honestly didn't think Connor was going to last 10 rounds with pressure. Thought he'd truly gas out far before that (like by the 4th or 5th round), and be done by that point.

Elbows, knees and kicks are striking.

Heavier gloves made a difference to Conor I think.

He should have been working hard on his stamina in the sparring ring for the last year. Maybe he was, but it doesn't seem like its all that much different from the Conor in MMA, so I'd question his training.

JettDash

Conor never stood a chance. Floyd has more than a decade of experience in boxing, is tactically one of the finest. I think he's boring, but it works. Its like Rico Verhoeven, mostly fighting for ponts. I don't like it.

Conor might think he was good the first few rounds, but he didn't even hurt Floyd. He just knew Conor would fatique, having no experience with 12 round bouts. I think Floyd just wanted to make his last fight a long one, he could've finished Conor after round 4 or so.

In the end Floyd grabs another few 100 million and Conor gets an assload of moneybags too. They're laughing anyway.

He has been boxing since he was like 5.

I'm white and I wanted Mayweather to win.
I'm not saying that either side is "right" or that white people needed to support Mayweather (he's not some paragon of virtue), just noting the phenomenon.
I can definitely say that being black pushed me in some ways towards Mayweather from what I viewed to be race related reactions towards him from folks, but that was a very small part of it.

Yeah, but still he ain't no boxer...that's for sure. MMA lends itself to haymakers since there is no padding on the gloves and no padded gloves to absorb most of the punches umph on the defensive end.

You act as if no one ever gets KO'd in boxing. Boxing gloves may look like soft pillows, but they're only meant to keep hands from breaking, not to protect a boxer's face/body. Just look up one punch KO compilations on YouTube, or try sparring without wearing headgear.

JettDash

I'm black and personally, I didn't really give a shit who won. Besides that I bet on Mayweather. Just because I was confident he would win. Race was a non-factor.

If I didn't bet, I wouldn't have rooted for either of them.

Elbows, knees and kicks are striking.

Heavier gloves made a difference to Conor I think.

He should have been working hard on his stamina in the sparring ring for the last year. Maybe he was, but it doesn't seem like its all that much different from the Conor in MMA, so I'd question his training.

I know elbows, knees, and kicks are striking, but they are completely different techniques from punching.

That said, Connor certainly didn't seem like he trained the stamina to face up to someone of Floyd's caliber. Not sure why. Don't think his trainers would be that stupid to not push it. They didn't honestly think that Connor was going to win early, did they?

You act as if no one ever gets KO'd in boxing. Boxing gloves may look like soft pillows, but they're only meant to keep hands from breaking, not to protect a boxer's face/body. Just look up one punch KO compilations on YouTube, or try sparring without wearing headgear.

Of course they get KO'd in boxing all the time...it's just takes a whole lot longer most of the time and is usually after a good dose of volume punching picking the opposing fighter apart for round after round.

I've worn boxing gloves and they are definitely not pillows. But they do cushion the blow somewhat compared to a raw punch. They also enhance the guard.

kiguel182

Even if I don’t like Floyd is always nice to see Mcgreggor eating some punches after all the shit talk he does.

Edit: Still bitter about what he did to Aldo...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, a career K-1 guy (which had kinda in-between rules of Kickboxing and Muay Thai) had a much better base for an MMA transition than a pure boxer back then. They're squared up more, their engagement distance is much more applicable, they have a mostly full set of striking tools and the defensive instincts for the stuff coming in the other direction, they're accustomed to offense and defense from the clinch, and perhaps most importantly they're conditioned to take leg kicks. It takes a few years to fully calcify your shins for kickboxing or Muay Thai, and there aren't any shortcuts you can take to get there. If your shins aren't conditioned to take a leg kick you're completely fucked the first time a pro fighter lands one on you, and the leg kick is the highest percentage, lowest risk strike in open stand-up.

Talking about MMA like it's 20 years ago and "middling boxing with a sprawl" makes champions? Chuck's UFC? Lol. That wasn't where the top competition was at the time and he wasn't considered the best MMA fighter at LHW when he was UFC champ, before we even get to how outmoded that whole era is.

Vagabundo

I know elbows, knees, and kicks are striking, but they are completely different techniques from punching.

That said, Connor certainly didn't seem like he trained the stamina to face up to someone of Floyd's caliber. Not sure why. Don't think his trainers would be that stupid to not push it. They didn't honestly think that Connor was going to win early, did they?

Yeah, Conor should have been on the Rocky training scheme since day one. New coaches too. I haven't been keeping tabs on what his camp has been up too.

I'm Irish, so of course I was rooting for Conor. It's a shame this thing took on a racial dimension.

I think it's more of a US thing. To boxing fans from Ireland and the UK, it's about national pride. The great majority of UFC fans are basically the Trump demographic. The Sherdog forums are like Stormfront for combat sports and Dana White is a huge Trump supporter.

Top Bottom