• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Honestly it didn't even cross my mind. But for some it apparently does.

The history of Boxing is rooted in it. The rise of MMA and it being successful with the 18 to 35 White male demographic was only going to amplify it for this match. Boxing has been here for centuries, but now your starting to hear about "real" fighters and if Mayweather would've fought in a "real" fight like a street fight who would win. It's why people deluded themselves in believing that Conor was so great he could go over to Boxing and not only beat Mayweather but knock him out.

This has been observed and discussed before in articles of years past.

Yeoman

I think it's more of a US thing. To boxing fans from Ireland and the UK, it's about national pride. The great majority of UFC fans are basically the Trump demographic. The Sherdog forums are like Stormfront for combat sports and Dana White is a huge Trump supporter.
Shit like this is embarrassing.
donald-trump-floyd-mayweather

fanboi

Banned
I think it's more of a US thing. To boxing fans from Ireland and the UK, it's about national pride. The great majority of UFC fans are basically the Trump demographic. The Sherdog forums are like Stormfront for combat sports and Dana White is a huge Trump supporter.

Intresting! How have the good ol people from Stormfront reacted to BLACK MAN destroying their boy wonder?

I assume not at all since the site has been seized hey oh!

SkylineRKR

The history of Boxing is rooted in it. The rise of MMA and it being successful with the 18 to 35 White male demographic was only going to amplify it for this match. Boxing has been here for centuries, but now your starting to hear about "real" fighters and if Mayweather would've fought in a "real" fight like a street fight who would win. It's why people deluded themselves in believing that Conor was so great he could go over to Boxing and not only beat Mayweather but knock him out.

Yeah, but its kind of unknown to me. I'm from Holland and we don't have that shit. We have some history with K-1 and Kickboxing as some might know, champions such as Schilt, Aerts, Bonjasky, Hoost... In fact I disliked Schilt's style, so I usually rooted for his opponent. Regardess of skin color.

I'm more than happy Floyd won, as a boxing rookie ending a streak of 'TBE' wouldn't have been that great for boxing as a whole.

abuC

This video proves my point; these guys been picked apart round after round. Lots these 1 punch knock outs coming upwards of after 10 rounds of boxing.

That's like the exact opposite of what really happens. Most knockouts happen early in fights while the bigger punchers are fresh, how is it proving your point when most of the KOs in the video are inside of 4 rounds?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
He still got subbed by Nogueira (in an exciting fight, certainly) and dismantled both standing and on the ground by Fedor, but he put up a good showing for sure considering he was a career K-1 guy who hopped over relatively late.

Fedor won by points, in what I would argue one of his hardest fights.
Only thing that got dismantled was Fedors face.

I can't help it I'm team Crocop till the end.

Yeah, but its kind of unknown to me. I'm from Holland and we don't have that shit. We have some history with K-1 and Kickboxing as some might know, champions such as Schilt, Aerts, Bonjasky, Hoost... In fact I disliked Schilt's style, so I usually rooted for his opponent. Regardess of skin color.

I'm more than happy Floyd won, as a boxing rookie ending a streak of 'TBE' wouldn't have been that great for boxing as a whole.

Floyd actually works it to his favor and uses being being a dark skinned Black man being flashy, cocky, arrogant, loudmouthed, obnoxious as his "Money" persona so people who hate him can pay to watch this fighter of another race to shut his ass up despite how "boring" they may find his fights are.

Floyd would've loved if there were more Conor McGregor types in Boxing.

Honestly Boxing needs more top White Boxers that are not only skilled, but can speak English well and talk some shit like Conor McGregor.

ApharmdX

Banned
Also, a career K-1 guy (which had kinda in-between rules of Kickboxing and Muay Thai) had a much better base for an MMA transition than a pure boxer back then. They're squared up more, their engagement distance is much more applicable, they have a mostly full set of striking tools and the defensive instincts for the stuff coming in the other direction, they're accustomed to offense and defense from the clinch, and perhaps most importantly they're conditioned to take leg kicks. It takes a few years to fully calcify your shins for kickboxing or Muay Thai, and there aren't any shortcuts you can take to get there. If your shins aren't conditioned to take a leg kick you're completely fucked the first time a pro fighter lands one on you, and the leg kick is the highest percentage, lowest risk strike in open stand-up.

Talking about MMA like it's 20 years ago and "middling boxing with a sprawl" makes champions? Chuck's UFC? Lol. That wasn't where the top competition was at the time and he wasn't considered the best MMA fighter at LHW when he was UFC champ, before we even get to how outmoded that whole era is.

I don't know, man. There have been a lot of UFC fighters who are primarily boxing + takedown defense. Rampage, Chuck, Arlovski, shit Woodley and Alvarez... all guys who got UFC gold with that skillset. Floyd Mayweather is a FAR better athlete than all of these UFC champs. He'd have been a god in MMA if he'd have gotten into it early (also, a lot poorer).

Boxing and defensive wrestling can get you very far in mixed martial arts.

That's like the exact opposite of what really happens. Most knockouts happen early in fights while the bigger punchers are fresh, how is it proving your point when most of the KOs in the video are inside of 4 rounds?

Because KOs in MMA usually happen even earlier than that in the fight. That's considered late in the fight in MMA (4 out of 5 rounds).

Also, look at the volume of punches thrown in MMA vs. Boxing. It's like night and day. Many boxers throw more punches in the first round than MMA guys throw in the entire fight.

Just watched it on Youtube. I honestly feel Mayweahter could have ended this sooner (given Connor's horrible defense). But he was waiting patiently for Conor to grow tired i guess.
Conor has the reach (that reach must have been annoying in the first couple of rounds for Mayweather) and had some nice shots and jabs but Floyd was never in any trouble.
I guess it's exactly how most expected it to go. Mayweather slowly started boxing in the 5th round and just kept pushing up the tempo while McGregor grew more tired. Smart fighting. It was weird to see him turn his back towards Connor so often though.
I hope Conor goes back to MMA fights. He's amazing at that.

Edit: i don't think i' would have ended the fight at that point. But it was bound to happen probably later in that round or the round after. Conor was tired as fuck.

caesar

Banned
I don't know, man. There have been a lot of UFC fighters who are primarily boxing + takedown defense. Rampage, Chuck, Arlovski, shit Woodley and Alvarez... all guys who got UFC gold with that skillset. Floyd Mayweather is a FAR better athlete than all of these UFC champs. He'd have been a god in MMA if he'd have gotten into it early (also, a lot poorer).

Boxing and defensive wrestling can get you very far in mixed martial arts.

Woodley is one of the most athletic men I have ever seen but agree with the other names you listed.

ApharmdX

Banned
Just watched it on Youtube. I honestly feel Mayweahter could have ended this sooner (given Connor's horrible defense). But he was waiting patiently for Conor to grow tired i guess.
Conor has the reach (that reach must have been annoying in the first couple of rounds for Mayweather) and had some nice shots and jabs but Floyd was never in any trouble.
I guess it's exactly how most expected it to go. Mayweather slowly started boxing in the 5th round and just kept pushing up the tempo while McGregor grew more tired. Smart fighting. It was weird to see him turn his back towards Connor so often though.
I hope Conor goes back to MMA fights. He's amazing at that.

It's going to be hard for the UFC to get Conor back in the ring. Once you taste the kind of payday he had tonight, MMA peanuts don't seem so sweet.

Vagabundo

Ugh...

abuC

Because KOs in MMA usually happen even earlier than that in the fight. That's considered late in the fight in MMA (4 out of 5 rounds).

Also, look at the volume of punches thrown in MMA vs. Boxing. It's like night and day. Many boxers throw more punches in the first round than MMA guys throw in the entire fight.

You're not making any sense, inside of 4 rounds in a boxing match is 3-12 minutes, 4 rounds in UFC would be around the 7th round in boxing which is 21 minutes in.

Knockouts in boxing usually happen early, this was in the video I posted and there were a others just as brutal and in the 2nd round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFyAOzhmBs

The fact you said knocouts happen after the 10th round kind of kills your credibility on boxing.

You're not making any sense, inside of 4 rounds in a boxing match is 3-12 minutes, 4 rounds in UFC would be around the 7th round in boxing which is 21 minutes in.

Knockouts in boxing usually happen early, this was in the video I posted and there were a others just as brutal and in the 2nd round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFyAOzhmBs

The fact you said knocouts happen after the 10th round kind of kills your credibility on boxing.

Nah...didn't mean to emphasize after (said "upwards or after"). Was trying to emphasize upwards of 10 rounds, especially for these smaller guys who have less power.

All you need to look at is the volume of punches thrown. Trying to say that a one punch knockout had nothing to do with the 200 to 300 punches thrown prior to it makes no sense.

I'm assuming everyone has seen Jose Aldo's tweet just after the fight by now?

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/901668806455681024

I actually think the reaction would be somewhat okay had he not lost to Holloway a few months ago. Before then Aldo had been undefeated for nearly a decade when he got KO'd by Conor. So positioning himself for a rematch after this fight would've made sense for him. But he has no real grounds for it after that loss to Holloway.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

MMA formed out of Brazil's Vale Tudo scene and later Japan's experiments with crossing over fake pro wrestling into real combat sports in spots like Pancrase, where Bas Rutten made his name, before rising to international prominence in Japan's Pride FC promotion, which had very diverse representation on its roster. UFC was originally more or less a marketing gimmick by some of the Gracie family to promote Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Stateside by having skinny Royce choke out all challengers in open weight, no-rules fights like the Vale Tudo events in Brazil since Americans had fuck-all submission grappling skills at the time (aside from the small contingent of guys who were going to Japan to fight in the proto-MMA scene there e.g. Ken and Frank Shamrock), and the UFC wasn't the top MMA promotion for ages, until Pride FC had yakuza ties exposed publicly, lost its financial backing, and got acquired by the Fertitta bros and scuttled. Also the WEC merger to legitimize and unify the lighter weight classes.

The UFC spent a long time as a promotion with an uncomfortably trashy casual fanbase, yeah. There were always those ultra cringe moments when some non-US white guy would be fighting, say, a Brazilian guy and the dumbass crowd would start chanting "USA USA" for the white guy and I'd want to RNC the whole audience. Almost all the hardcore MMA fans were looking outside of the UFC for a long time. And, fast forward to today, sure, we have some of that classic dumb shit again with USA chants for Conor because white guy. Yeah, it's embarrassing.

Regardless, MMA is much, much, much closer to open rules fighting than Queensbury rules pro boxing is. That's not disputable at all, never mind with some kind of racial argument about the UFC fanbase being dumb white trash Trump voters giving Conor too much of a chance against PBF under boxing rules? Certainly a lot of fucking tragically hilarious idiots apparently bet the farm on Conor here, and they deserve to lose their money, but what in the world does that have to do with MMA as a combat sport compared to professional boxing as a combat sport? Nothing.

Snoopycat

Banned

Please. Sherdog is nothing like Stormfront. They have very vocal right wing and left wing posters but the mods over there are quick to ban nutters. Here's a link to their posting rules which are very clear.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/wr-rules-guidelines-nb-update-as-of-21-august-2017.3565705/

MMA formed out of Brazil's Vale Tudo scene and later Japan's experiments with crossing over fake pro wrestling into real combat sports in spots like Pancrase, where Bas Rutten made his name, before rising to international prominence in Japan's Pride FC promotion, which had very diverse representation on its roster. UFC was originally more or less a marketing gimmick by some of the Gracie family to promote Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Stateside by having skinny Royce choke out all challengers in open weight, no-rules fights like the Vale Tudo events in Brazil since Americans had fuck-all submission grappling skills at the time (aside from the small contingent of guys who were going to Japan to fight in the proto-MMA scene there e.g. Ken and Frank Shamrock), and the UFC wasn't the top MMA promotion for ages, until Pride FC had yakuza ties exposed publicly, lost its financial backing, and got acquired by the Fertitta bros and scuttled. Also the WEC merger to legitimize and unify the lighter weight classes.

The UFC spent a long time as a promotion with an uncomfortably trashy casual fanbase, yeah. There were always those ultra cringe moments when some non-US white guy would be fighting, say, a Brazilian guy and the dumbass crowd would start chanting "USA USA" for the white guy and I'd want to RNC the whole audience. Almost all the hardcore MMA fans were looking outside of the UFC for a long time. And, fast forward to today, sure, we have some of that classic dumb shit again with USA chants for Conor because white guy. Yeah, it's embarrassing.

Regardless, MMA is much, much, much closer to open rules fighting than Queensbury rules pro boxing is. That's not disputable at all, never mind with some kind of racial argument about the UFC fanbase being dumb white trash Trump voters giving Conor too much of a chance against PBF under boxing rules? Certainly a lot of fucking tragically hilarious idiots apparently bet the farm on Conor here, and they deserve to lose their money, but what in the world does that have to do with MMA as a combat sport compared to professional boxing as a combat sport? Nothing.

You actually have way more top White fighters in UFC than you do in Boxing. Boxing has been dominated by Blacks and Hispanic/Latino fighters for a while now in a sport that started out being All White.

Tribalism has always been part of combat sports, now put it within the context of White supremacy.

I would just like to say that Conors boxing technique is atrocious.

Also, there is no way he really went 12 real boxing rounds with Malignaggi. He literally can't fight that long.

Also, Floyd is a bulked up 140lbs welterweight, and was pushing around and toe to toe with a true 168lbs super middleweight.

Please. Sherdog is nothing like Stormfront. They have very vocal right wing and left wing posters but the mods over there are quick to ban nutters. Here's a link to their posting rules which are very clear.

]

I used to go there all the time.

Now if I look at it I see it as a low key racist, hyper-sexist, homophobic trash heap of bad opinions thriving in today's political climate.

Snoopycat

Banned
I used to go there all the time.

Now if I look at it I see it as a low key racist, hyper-sexist, homophobic trash heap of bad opinions thriving in today's political climate.

I go there all the time. I see it as an MMA fan forum where people from almost every country on the planet get together and express their views on a vast variety of topics

Top Bottom