• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Sanjuro

Boo. I fell asleep like an old prior to the match. 😢

Glad to wake up with the "Boxing Experts" with egg on their face.

I think it's more of a US thing. To boxing fans from Ireland and the UK, it's about national pride. The great majority of UFC fans are basically the Trump demographic. The Sherdog forums are like Stormfront for combat sports and Dana White is a huge Trump supporter.

If hypothetically Conor was getting the better of Floyd I'm sure most of the black people in the video clip would be downcast.

I'm not sure this fuck white people is necessary and half the white people are just watching on as non plus spectators. Black people watching are mostly jubilant and if Floyd was fight another black guy and winning I doubt I'd see the vast majority getting excited like this.

If hypothetically Conor was getting the better of Floyd I'm sure most of the black people in the video clip would be downcast.

I'm not sure this fuck white people is necessary and half the white people are just watching on as non plus spectators. Black people watching are mostly jubilant and if Floyd was fight another black guy and winning I doubt I'd see the vast majority getting excited like this.

It's definitely complicated. Like I can't fault a White person cheering on a White guy just for being White in potentially beating one of the greatest boxers that's Black. Especially if it's due to historically White guys being underdogs in Boxing. It's like cheering for that one White guy who's on the 100 meter dash. LOL

Now if it's because he hates Black people, or want's the White man to reign supreme than that's different. LOL However there's no way you can discern any of that so ultimately who cares as long as people aren't openly racist about it.

Wuiji

Can you imagine if it was any actual boxer fighting Mayweather?

Floyd got his last paycheck, glad he realizes hes done though.

I think even fat Prince Nas straight off the sofa would have KOd Conor. Mayweather could have had him on the mat at any almost any point in the fight.

There are people on social media whining that the ref ruined the fight and helped Mayweather. Any other boxer doing that many hammerfists would have been deducted points. Ref saved Conor's ass, and stopped the fight before he was sleeping in the ring. His fans should be thanking the ref, haha.

"He would have won if he didn't gas". So basically, he's a rubbish boxer and his training was a joke? Isn't that almost everybody has been saying from the start?

He should have pulled this move if he wanted a chance at winning.

giphy.gif

mxgt

Banned
I enjoyed the fight and glad I stayed up super late to watch it.

My favourite part of this thread is people saying Conor was competitive and he won the first 4 rounds, etc.

I wanted him to win, but this was as uncompetitive of a boxing match I think I've ever seen, he was played from minute one.

The fight was worth it just to see an aggressive Mayweather for what felt like the first time in forever.

I tried to tell my work colleagues not to bet on Conor as he has no chance but they didn't listen. Thanks for the easy money, Floyd.

Y'all are weird as hell

This basically went as most people telegraphed it:

Conor does well early, gasses out
Floyd downloads him, stops him late
Entertaining sparring bout, everyone's happy, especially Conor

And we STILL fightin'

DeathyBoy

Banned
When did Floyd beat a woman? It has to be recent, right? With how many people talk about it when his name pops up.

Does it matter when it was?

Dude is 50-0. One of the best boxers if his generation. And he's also a degenerate piece of trash.

His boxing doesn't cancel out the domestic abuse. Same way the domestic abuse doesn't cancel out his boxing. But both are perfectly on topic in any Floyd thread.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Nekketsu Kõha;247095112 said:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7ksm2F6Wg1qauw2q.gif[img][/QUOTE]

I mean he stood up for 10 rounds. That's better than I thought he'd do.

I was honestly expecting Mayweather to catch him slipping in the first round and land a knockout.

Does it matter when it was?

Dude is 50-0. One of the best boxers if his generation. And he's also a degenerate piece of trash.

His boxing doesn't cancel out the domestic abuse. Same way the domestic abuse doesn't cancel out his boxing. But both are perfectly on topic in any Floyd thread.

I don't get why people try to defend Floyd as a person to people who don't like him. There are perfectly good reasons for people to not like him.

The only thing worth defending is him as a boxer unless you think he's the greatest of all time. LOL

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You actually have way more top White fighters in UFC than you do in Boxing. Boxing has been dominated by Blacks and Hispanic/Latino fighters for a while now in a sport that started out being All White.

Tribalism has always been part of combat sports, now put it within the context of White supremacy.

Okay? You're drawing racial lines in the sand here on NeoGAF between MMA and boxing, stereotyping MMA fans as Trump-supporting white supremacists and using that framing to attempt to de-legitimize MMA as a sport. It's a shit argument to apply to the sports themselves and not just ignorant people within a fanbase.

Okay? You're drawing racial lines in the sand here on NeoGAF between MMA and boxing, stereotyping MMA fans as Trump-supporting white supremacists and using that framing to attempt to de-legitimize MMA as a sport. It's a shit argument to apply to the sports themselves and not just ignorant people within a fanbase.

You're projecting. I never called MMA fans as Trump supporting white supremacists.

Nor have I attempted to delegitimize MMA as a sport. I respect MMA as a sport and admire how UFC has been able to connect to a younger audience in today's world than Boxing has. Boxing can learn some things from UFC.

All I did was recognize the racial elements that are in it, such as "The Great White Hope" Conor McGregor represented in this fight to be the biggest PPV fight of all time despite how Conor had 0 chance of winning.

I mean he stood up for 10 rounds. That's better than I thought he'd do.

I was honestly expecting Mayweather to catch him slipping in the first round and land a knockout.

Sure he stood up. Man is a fighter afterall. But standing tall isn't enough for boxing and he showed from round 1 he didn't know how to box and looked like a clown.

I don't think any delegitimising is going on here.

caesar

Banned
You're projecting. I never called MMA fans as Trump supporting white supremacists.

Nor have I attempted to delegitimize MMA as a sport. I respect MMA as a sport and admire how UFC has been able to connect to a younger audience in today's world than Boxing has. Boxing can learn some things from UFC.

All I did was recognize the racial elements that are in it, such as "The Great White Hope" Conor McGregor represented in this fight to be the biggest PPV fight of all time despite how Conor had 0 chance of winning.

Normally would agree but don't see it this fight, the our guy vs your guy dynamic was due to the mma vs boxing thing. Race was a factor but nowhere near as much, pretty overblown honestly.

Normally would agree but don't see it this fight, the our guy vs your guy dynamic was due to the mma vs boxing thing. Race was a factor but nowhere near as much, pretty overblown honestly.
I don't think "dancing monkeys" was overblown. He did it all by himself.

Of course it wasn't... It's amazing how people always try to downplay race especially in a sport like Boxing that was built on tribalism.

As if the concept of "The Great White Hope" or "The Great White Hype" doesn't exist for a reason.

karasu

I think even fat Prince Nas straight off the sofa would have KOd Conor. Mayweather could have had him on the mat at any almost any point in the fight.

There are people on social media whining that the ref ruined the fight and helped Mayweather. Any other boxer doing that many hammerfists would have been deducted points. Ref saved Conor's ass, and stopped the fight before he was sleeping in the ring. His fans should be thanking the ref, haha.

"He would have won if he didn't gas". So basically, he's a rubbish boxer and his training was a joke? Isn't that almost everybody has been saying from the start?

He should have pulled this move if he wanted a chance at winning.

giphy.gif

People making such a big deal about this. Has no one seen Rickson Gracie warm up? That's his shit.

I'll tell you one thing: Floyd found a buddy in McGregor for the hustle. These guys knew exactly what they were doing playing up the racial tension bit, especially to the American audience.

They played everyone to a massive payday. And it worked. The absurdity of McGregor ever standing a chance on the face of it was a ridiculous notion. They both knew that going in.

This was McGregor's first legit boxing match after all.

I'll tell you one thing: Floyd found a buddy in McGregor for the hustle. These guys knew exactly what they were doing playing up the racial tension bit, especially to the American audience.

They played everyone to a massive payday. And it worked. The absurdity of McGregor ever standing a chance on the face of it was a ridiculous notion. They both knew that going in.

This was McGregor's first legit boxing match after all.

EXACTLY.

Yeoman

Speaking of race, I wonder what the racial breakdown is for the top 10 posters in this thread are:
AaYF3fO_d.webp

Certainly seems like there was a lot of investment from both sides...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You just accused me of things I never said but what you think I said.

I wasn't asking you to define psychological projection for me. Try again. What am I projecting onto your statements from what part of my skewed perspective?

The history of Boxing is rooted in it. The rise of MMA and it being successful with the 18 to 35 White male demographic was only going to amplify it for this match. Boxing has been here for centuries, but now your starting to hear about "real" fighters and if Mayweather would've fought in a "real" fight like a street fight who would win. It's why people deluded themselves in believing that Conor was so great he could go over to Boxing and not only beat Mayweather but knock him out.

This has been observed and discussed before in articles of years past.

As I described, with the implications I noted. Your account's still intact at the moment, so let's hear the psychoanalysis.

Top Bottom