• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I expect to see a lot of you in MMA-GAF after this, we do exist deep in the confines of OT Community

There's a boxing GAF? I know a lot of people are backing Mayweather but that's just because this is his arena. No one wants to make the logically risky argument.

I think Connor can go the distance. I don't know about a KO. But he will go for it at any moment he finds. Which will be rare.

Calderc

I'm not even going down this path of stupidity. It is not true, yes it's dangerous and its getting carried away and they need to address it. It is not the single biggest danger in combat sports. People have been dieing and getting life changing injuries in the combat arena for centuries.

Right but considering we don't have fucking Gladiator arenas anymore and boxing and MMA is as dangerous as combat sports get these days, yes, weight cutting is the biggest danger.

Oh come on, if your going to troll at least put in the effort.

That isn't trolling it is the truth cutting by dehydration is extremely dangerous. Loose just under 20% of body weight in usually around 48 to 24hr. Then gain as much back in 24hrs to try and be fully recovered.

darscot

Right but considering we don't have fucking Gladiator arenas anymore and boxing and MMA is as dangerous as combat sports get these days, yes, weight cutting is the biggest danger.

Do you know what a concussion is, they are kind of big news these days. How many fighters die or suffer injuries from cutting weight compare to how many of them suffer head trauma. There is no comparison. And its not even combat sports it all of sports.

I dont see Connor having much of a chance really even against an "old" and retired Mayweather. Maybe if he can go in hard in the early rounds? But Mayweather is too good and will wear him out most likely.

Syder

bqVmyQB.gif

YQomFGL.gif

0uiCrkx.gif

RabVJau.gif

Calderc

Do you know what a concussion is, they are kind of big news these days. How many fighters die or suffer injuries from cutting weight compare to how many of them suffer head trauma. There is no comparison. And its not even combat sports it all of sports.

Do you know what makes a concussion happen way easier? Weight cutting.

darscot

Do you know what makes a concussion happen way easier? Weight cutting.

Yeah its the cutting weight, not the blows to the head. /s If you step in a boxing ring you will suffer head trauma. MMA it's not 100% because you might be lucky enough to tap out to a non choke submission without actually getting hit so its probably like 99%.

Yes weight cutting is dangerous it is in no way "the single biggest danger in combat sports"

Yes, it is called cutting weight, jesus christ, have you seen a single fighter cut weight in the history of combat sports? Guess what, they all drink water after weigh-in, god you are hilarious.

I've been watching professional boxing for the last 30 years, son. I don't care what he did in the past or what other fighters do, I am saying he looked weight drained today. He looked lethargic today. He looked pale in the face today. He reminded me of De La Hoya when he was weight drained against Pacquiao.

Who tf are you to tell me what my own eyes saw?

Syder

Floyd's core is crazy, Conor better protect the fuck out of his.

This isn't even his worst looking weigh in. He'll be fine tomorrow. Folks are overracting as usual
Yup. My opinion is that Conor and Floyd both look in fantastic shape

which is really bad for Conor

Euphor!a

Banned
I've been watching professional boxing for the last 30 years, son. I don't care what he did in the past or what other fighters do, I am saying he looked weight drained today. He looked lethargic today. He looked pale in the face today. He reminded me of De La Hoya when he was weight drained against Pacquiao.

The person who isn't dumb enough to think that drinking water after a weigh-in is unusual by any stretch of the imagination.

Calderc

Yeah its the cutting weight not the blows to the head. If you step in a boxing ring you will suffer head trauma. MMA it's not 100% because you might be lucky enough to tap out to a non choke submission without actually getting hit so its probably like 99%.

Yes weight cutting is dangerous it is in no way "the single biggest danger in combat sports"

You'd be great in boxing the way you dodge things.

A blow to the head might not cause a concussion. A blow to the head after a heavy weight cut probably will. That's like, scientific knowledge and fact.

If you go into a fight after a bad weight cut, a punch is worse than normal, cardio exertion is worse than normal, literally every single thing is worse than normal. So yes, it is the biggest danger in combat sports. Multiple deaths and people within combat sports attest to this.

sam777

This is how he always looks before weigh ins. He used to look even more drained when he used to fight at 145, it's no big deal. He will look fine come fight night. He didn't seem lethargic when he was yelling in Mayweather's face.

Spoken like someone who has literally never watched a Conor McGregor fight

Hutchie

If floyd can look that way at 40 theres still hope for me! Diet starts on monday lol! I still need to find somewhere to watch this but at 5am uk im gonna be asleep

The person who isn't dumb enough to think drinking water after a weigh-in is unusual by any stretch of the imagination.

I said it was unusual? I said he was drinking that water immediately after, he didn't even wait to get to the dressing room. He was drinking the water like he hasn't had anything to drink in couple days.... hence, a WEIGHT DRAINED FIGHTER.... Floyd wasn't drinking, then again Floyd wasn't weight drained.

You're just arguing to argue at this point though. I am saying Conor looked weight drained and your rebuttal is that he was cutting weight before the fight. That's the same thing, genius.

I said it was unusual? I said he was drinking that water immediately after, he didn't even wait to get to the dressing room. He was drinking the water like he hasn't had anything to drink in couple days.... hence, a WEIGHT DRAINED FIGHTER.... Floyd wasn't drinking, then again Floyd wasn't weight drained.

You're just arguing to argue at this point though. I am saying Conor looked weight drained and your rebuttal is that he was cutting weight before the fight. That's the same thing, genius.

Almost every MMA fighter starts drinking right after they get off the scale if they had to cut weight though

This is how he also looks before weigh ins. He used to look even more drained when he used to fight at 145, it's no big deal. He will look fine come fight night. He didn't seem lethargic when he was telling in Mayweather's face.

We will soon see, can't believe it's tomorrow. I appreciate that you didn't come attacking like the other dude too

Euphor!a

Banned
I said it was unusual? I said he was drinking that water immediately after, he didn't even wait to get to the dressing room.

This is not unusual in the slightest. It is called cutting weight, with your 30 years of experience watching combat sports I assumed you would know that people drink water after weighing in almost immediately. I think you would have better luck arguing that the Irish guy looks too pale.

darscot

But some guys in MMA try to cut 40-50 pounds

99% of guys in combat sports suffer head trauma. I am not saying cutting weight is not dangerous. I am saying it is not the biggest danger. I am also saying they dont publish articles and data on head trauma because they cant do anything about it. So they say its cutting weight and look at all we are doing about it. The biggest danger in combat sports is brain injury from getting hit in the head or having blood supply to your head cut off. The do their best to let go when guys go limp in a choke because it is insanely dangerous. There is nothing to be done about the hits to the head. The just allowed smaller gloves against the Doctors because its good for business. They are literally doing everything they can to insure one of these fighters suffers a brain injury.

99% of guys in combat sports suffer head trauma. I am not saying cutting weight is not dangerous. I am saying it is not the biggest danger. I am also saying they dont publish articles and data on head trauma because they cant do anything about it. So they say its cutting weight and look at all we are doing about it. The biggest danger in combat sports is brain injury from getting hit in the head or having blood supply to your head cut off. The do their best to let go when guys go limp in a choke because it is insanely dangerous.

Before you get hit in the head you have to cut weight
You get hit in the head enough and the fight can be stopped by a ref, if you cut weight to dangerous levels your body can just shut down if no one around you is willing to stop you

darscot

You get hit in the head enough and the fight can be stopped by a ref, if you cut weight to dangerous levels your body can just shut down if no one around you is willing to stop you

No you do not. Did Mayweather cut weight, its just math. Both fighters are risking brain injury but only one cut weight. How can the weight cut be the biggest danger, its silly.

Calderc

Dude's either trolling or has so much density light bends around him.

This is not unusual in the slightest. It is called cutting weight, with your 30 years of experience watching combat sports I assumed you would know that people drink water after weighing in almost immediately. I think you would have better luck arguing that the Irish guy looks too pale.

The only people I've seen drink water as soon as they step off of the scale are fighters who are weight drained/dehydrated. Why the fuck are arguing with me , we are saying the same thing.

Fighters who needed to cut weight before a weigh in rid their body of all extra fluids. You said he is doing this and I am saying he looks like he is doing this, why argue?

Calderc

No you do not. Did Mayweather cut weight, its just math. Both fighters are risking brain injury but only one cut weight. How can the weight cut be the biggest danger its silly.

Because brain injury is a cumulative thing. Death from a weight cut and its many, many, many complications can be instant. Math, bruh!

Also, Floyd being part of the 1% of fighters who don't cut is the exception rather than the rule. Again, math, bruh!

Top Bottom