• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Macattk15

I respect that you've been watching boxing for a long time, so have I, but I've been watching MMA for a long time too. Trust me, Conor looking 'lethargic' or whatever at this weigh-in is irrelevant. He is one of the best weight-cutters I've ever seen in UFC. The man can look scary thin at a weigh-in and is looking great by the time the fight comes around. I often wonder how long he can keep this up.

This shouldn't be the debate anyway.

The important thing today was how Mayweather looked, and the man has not missed a beat.
Code:
[I]2 years ago[/I]
[IMG]http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.10834959.1442028736!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_960/image.JPG[/IMG]
Code:
[I]Tonight[/I]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIHCf3xVoAAAmCu.jpg[/IMG]
This is bad for Conor.

The juiceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

All it shows to me is his muscle mass must have increased considering his last 155 fight was a comfortable weigh in for him and this looks like he did have to dehydrate more.

McGregor has for sure gained size since the Eddie fight imo, especially in his legs

WH2c.png

BSsBrolly

Banned
My point is Diaz was phased, not hurt badly.
If he was hurt that badly, Conor would have finished him.
Not discrediting the knock downs though, it won him the fight.

That's fair. I feel he didn't finish him because he was afraid of following him to the ground. Thats just my take though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol

No. Just no. He'd have to be a boxer on a tear to be the Great White Hype. This is a shit show. White people know it.

I havent watched it in fuck knows how long, I only remember the ending :p

Drey1082

As someone who works as an investment analyst, a nearly 25% return on mayweather is statistically one of the greatest investments one can make. If I was an financial advisor, or wealth manager, even though i would probably get fired, I would probably tell my clients off the record that this is is one of the greatest returns on investments you may ever see.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
why do you get such poor odds for mcgregor? why would anyone bet on him when you can only get 4 or 5 times your money back?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
why do you get such poor odds for mcgregor? why would anyone bet on him when you can only get 4 or 5 times your money back?

Most people don't want to root for a boring fight, and that's what a bet on Mayweather is. If you're putting money on a fight to make it interesting, you may as well put your money on the side that might...make it interesting.

It's still a terrible bet, but I guess I get it.

DogDude

As someone who works as an investment analyst, a nearly 25% return on mayweather is statistically one of the greatest investments one can make. If I was an financial advisor, or wealth manager, even though i would probably get fired, I would probably tell my clients off the record that this is is one of the greatest returns on investments you may ever see.
I do the same and wanted to recommend the same all week (hell we might work at the same firm... from the southside and work downtown). We should have put together our own newsletter.

dopplr

You're delusional.

These aren't two robots that are fighting. Two human beings are going to be fighting, regardless of all the facts, weirder things have happened. People have prevailed against worse odds. People who say there's no reason this fight should happen are not seeing the reality that many don't care about what the odds are, there are thrills in life that people want to be apart of - Conor is allowing us to spectate him taking on what appears to be an insurmountable challenge, why would I not root for him?

UrokeJoe

These aren't two robots that are fighting. Two human beings are going to be fighting, regardless of all the facts, weirder things have happened. People have prevailed against worse odds. People who say there's no reason this fight should happen are not seeing the reality that many don't care about what the odds are, there are thrills in life that people want to be apart of - Conor is allowing us to spectate him taking on what appears to be an insurmountable challenge, why would I not root for him?

I'm rooting, just not counting on it, but yeah things happen.

JettDash

More money, maybe. But the payouts if McGregor wins will be far, far larger...

Unless the people running the places are fucking idiots, the payouts will be about the same no matter what happens. That's why they adjust the odds based on how people are betting.

Paradicia

And his zealots would forget all about it like they do with the initial loss today. Hell, the second fight wasn't impressive at all either, Diaz was teeing off on him again but the second time he got his second wind and scraped out a victory.

To say that the second fight "wasn't impressive at all" is just BS. It was a bloody war. McGregor had barely a scrape on his face and for what it's worth rolled the majority of shots Diaz threw at him. What you saw was high volume, low impact. If Diaz was teeing off on him he would have put him away and not lost the fight.

308_Nate_Diaz.0.0.jpg

Drey1082

A lot of people went with the "who knows what might happen but i'll win lots of money if it does" bet

Agreed. It's more fun to play the lottery for a dollar where you're basically assured to lose than to bet a dollar on a nearly assured small return. It's human nature even though statistics tell you that it's not logical.

More money is on Mayweather.

That is because larger individual bets. More receipts on Conor. If Conor wins Vegas will probably take the biggest hit it ever has in a single night. The President of the MGM Grand and several other places have spoken on it.

The Betting lines in general could pass $80 million and be the most bet on event in history

To say that the second fight "wasn't impressive at all" is just BS. It was a bloody war. McGregor had barely a scrape on his face and for what it's worth rolled the majority of shots Diaz threw at him. What you saw was high volume, low impact. If Diaz was teeing off on him he would have put him away and not lost the fight.

308_Nate_Diaz.0.0.jpg

Is this picture supposed to prove something. The Diaz brothers have a big problem with scar tissue on their faces and bleed almost instantly after a fight begins.

Like I said before, both guys were teeing off on each other (which includes Diaz) but Conor managed to get a second wind and finish the fight unlike the first time.

JettDash

That is because larger individual bets. More receipts on Conor. If Conor wins Vegas will probably take the biggest hit it ever has in a single night. The President of the MGM Grand and several other places have spoken on it.

The Betting lines in general could pass $80 million and be the most bet on event in history

Vegas will make the same money no matter what happens unless they are idiots.

If Floyd wins, they pay winners with the money that was bet on Conor. And they keep some for themselves.

If Conor wins, they pay winners with the much larger amount of money that was bet on Floyd. And they keep some for themselves.

Euphor!a

Banned
Vegas will make the same money no matter what happens unless they are idiots.

If Floyd wins, they pay winners with the money that was bet on Conor. And they keep some for themselves.

If Conor wins, they pay winners with the much larger amount of money that was bet on Floyd. And they keep some for themselves.

This may be the case in most instances, just not here. Feel free to google it or read the link I posted. A lot of places are going to lose big on a McGregor win.

Top Bottom