• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This is about what I expected in terms of disparity but I was confident Conor got the initial Pacquiao offer of 40m guaranteed + PPV points. 30 + points is still a hell of a lot more than he made in the UFC and I bet it's near enough his baseline going forward if he continues to fight in the UFC which I expect he will for another 3 fights at the most.

Showing he made 10mil in UFC.

Dude is going to pull 100mil here in the end.

Now I'm kinda hoping Conor wins. Canelo vs McGregor at Cowboys Stadium would look like a damn world cup final.

Conor and Canelo both draw enough fans you could probably legit sell Cowboy Stadium out with them (as long as ticket prices were reasonable)

Noema

Mayweather would win in MMA as well

just look at that rear naked choke technique

d94540775942645febcae7211ed07aa5.jpg

Is he fighting Gregor Clegane?

zewone

Not paying for this fight nor watching it live.

I'll watch it on IG after it's over.

You sound cool.

Of course he is, it's in Floyd's best interest financially to make McGregor look good and have folks think McGregor stands a big chance of winning. Floyd is normally WAY more talkative about himself and how good he is, but he's not really saying much at all in the lead up to this but instead is letting McGregor do all the talking and boasting. When Floyd does say things, it's always something that plants doubt in your head like when said McGregor has a good chance because he (Floyd) lost a step.

Floyd is a business man, he knows how to make money.

You make it sound like he's doing a good job of it. It's painfully obvious.

If you're dumb enough to buy his thinly veiled lies, you don't deserve to keep your own money.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Conor himself said he will clear $40 million for 2016 alone (for 3 fights; Diaz 1, 2 and Alvarez). Now he will make at least 2.5x that in just one fight.

Everyone does well with the Mayweather stimulus package

Dan Rafael chat wrap 8/25: (Longtime ESPN Boxing columnist

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor:
- For such a massive mismatch, the hype around the event is pretty incredible.
- Mayweather easy work. KO7.
- Undercard will be good. Likes Jack to beat Cleverly, Davis over Fonseca by KO, and Cunningham may have enough to show Tabiti a lesson. Not sure on Borrego-Heraldez, but will pick Borrego and Ugas over Dulorme.
- A Cunningham loss signals the end of him being in meaningful fights.
- Surprised Showtime is willing to leave Paulie on the broadcast. He is off the rails.
- Does not feel like Ireland has taken over Vegas.
- Ticket prices are down from face value. Ticket re-sellers are getting slaughtered.
- The special WBC belt has no fees with the sanctioning body. The WBC designed and had the belt made and TMT is paying for it.
- No asterisk. If Floyd wins he is 50-0.
- Will Conor win a round? He won't win a minute.
- Does Conor land a single meaningful punch? No.
- Conor by KO would be the biggest upset ever.
- Doesn't disagree that Mayweather fought his best fighters outside of their primes. He did fight everyone, but not always at their best.
- Is Conor the biggest fighter Mayweather has ever fought? No. Canelo was huge on fight night.
- Could it eclipse 5 million PPV buys? Possibly.
- Over/under 3.75 million buys? Over.
- Surprised at how many people think McGregor has a punchers chance.
- Does not think McGregor gives Floyd any problems early on.
- Byrd is an excellent referee. He doesn't over officiate and he doesn't take any nonsense.
- What weight does he think Floyd walks around at? In the 150's. He basically is always on weight.
- How good can Gervonta Davis be? Very, very good.
- It is true that if Conor wins the Vegas sports books will take massive losses.
- Will the MGM sell out of beer? No. The crowd is not remotely like Floyd-Hatton.

You make it sound like he's doing a good job of it. It's painfully obvious.

If you're dumb enough to buy his thinly veiled lies, you don't deserve to keep your own money.

Doing well of enough job to have way too many people thinking McGregor is going to KO him in the first 3 rounds lol.

Syder

I think the undercard being so bad has hurt this PPV too. Like Gervonta Davis slaughtering some poor guy before the main event? Shouldn't Cleverly v Jack be a better contest?

They should've found a way for another MMA fighter to fight another boxer on this card, or heck, have a UFC belt be defended on the card.
Still completely blown away by the size of Conor's cock. My god.
image.php

As a McGregor fan the amount of folks saying he could beat Canelo...I really don't know where this confidence comes from that McGregor can walk all over boxing's top 5 boxers. Well I do know, it's because they're completely ignorant of boxing and think that no boxer ever has thought to apply MMA fighting style to the boxing world. People do that all the time, they just never make it out of the amateur circuit. McGregor hasn't stumbled upon some secret that's going to shake the boxing world upside down lol.

As a McGregor fan the amount of folks saying he could beat Canelo...I really don't know where this confidence comes from that McGregor can walk all over boxing's top 5 boxers. Well I do know, it's because they're completely ignorant of boxing and think that no boxer ever has thought to apply MMA fighting style to the boxing world. People do that all the time, they just never make it out of the amateur circuit. McGregor hasn't stumbled upon some secret that's going to shake the boxing world upside down lol.

The amount of pure, raw, blinding ignorance this fight has spawned makes me feel like I'm Frank Grimes in that episode of The Simpsons. Just being driven to madness by the sheer ocean of stupidity that surrounds me.

The actual skill involved in a lot of aspects of boxing are hard for the layperson to understand, things like head movement, foot work, defense...it's why so many hate Floyd fights, and by that same token it's why some think anybody mma'er who can punch hard (like Conor) automatically has boxing skills.

The actual skill involved in a lot of aspects of boxing are hard for the layperson to understand, things like head movement, foot work, defense...it's why so many hate Floyd fights, and by that same token it's why some think anybody mma'er who can punch hard (like Conor) automatically has boxing skills.

Yeah, there will be many who will be stunned and confused when Conor can't seem to get any punches off, why Floyd seems to be hitting him at will, why Conor looks slow and off balance.

Butterbean vs a 52 year old Larry Holmes was a closer and more evenly matched fight than this will turn out to be.

His "fan base" is amongst the most annoying.
I don't like Floyd at all but to think we have to listen to these turds for the next 500 years if Conor pulls it off???
Please for the love of God or Satan or whoever the fuck, no.

His "fan base" is amongst the most annoying.
I don't like Floyd at all but to think we have to listen to these turds for the next 500 years if Conor pulls it off???
Please for the love of God or Satan or whoever the fuck, no.

I remember this story from a boxing fan I knew who hated Mayweather and went to the Hatton-Mayweather fight, and talked about how obnoxious Hatton's fans were that it kicked in his nationalism right before the fight and he switched and started rooting hard for Mayweather and was so happy when he knocked him out and quieted his fans. LOL

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Connor didnt look nearly as composed in that interview as he usually does, seemed reticent even, wonder how much the weight cut hurt him, must be horrible to have to dehydrate to the point of brain fog.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Connor didnt look nearly as composed in that interview as he usually does, seemed reticent even, wonder how much the weight cut hurt him, must be horrible to have to dehydrate to the point of brain fog.

He's riding the wave man, can't say I blame him for getting caught up in the moment. He has the next whatever amount of time to get to enjoy it. He has a fight with TBE today.

Syder

I don't, in the context of boxing the gap between CM Punk and McGregor is smaller than the one between Gall and Mayweather.

CM Punk had a "chance" too.
Exactly.
Conor "has a background" in boxing. CM Punk "had a background" in MMA.
Punk spent 2 years getting ready for his UFC debut. Conor has spent the last 3 months getting ready for his boxing debut.
There is every chance Conor gets embarrassed in a similar style to Punk.

Anth0ny

Exactly.
Conor "has a background" in boxing. CM Punk "had a background" in MMA.
Punk spent 2 years getting ready for his UFC debut. Conor has spent the last 3 months getting ready for his boxing debut.
There is every chance Conor gets embarrassed in a similar style to Punk.

Conor is the biggest star in combat sports and a dominant champion in MMA

Punk did submission holds at the gym sometimes while preparing for his fake entertainment matches

I feel like there's a bit of a difference there

Syder

Punk did submission holds at the gym sometimes while preparing for his fake entertainment matches

The point is, very little of that is going to help him against the GOAT. Anyone giving Conor even a slight chance is nuts.

Tubie

Biggest star in all of combat sports? LOL

This is his first boxing match, so how is it possible for him to be the biggest star?

Aside MMA fans nobody knew his ass before this fight got made.

Biggest star in all of combat sports? LOL

This is his first boxing match, so how is it possible for him to be the biggest star?

Aside MMA fans nobody knew his ass before this fight got made.

Conor is the 2nd biggest star in all of combat sports currently. Only Mayweather is bigger. The PPV buys don't lie or social media presence. There is no other current boxer at his level in terms of promotional size (hence why Floyd wanted to fight him)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Conor may have a boxing background, but he also focuses on BJJ and such. Floyd on the other hand, lives and breathes boxing, and is one of the best boxers on the planet, and guess what? They'll be in a boxing match, not an MMA fight. I honestly don't see how anyone thinks this will go down any other way. Conor's gonna get slaughtered.

KingV

Also why a Butterbean fight or Ward/Gatti are like the most exciting boxing matches to many casual fans (I.e. Myself). It's just dudes throwing haymakers.

Tubie

Conor is the 2nd biggest star in all of combat sports currently. Only Mayweather is bigger. The PPV buys don't lie

The PPV buys come from Floyd and people wanting to see him lose, that's it.

Why wasn't Conor making 10-30m dollar purses in UFC before this fight?

Cause MMA is still very small compared to boxing.

MMA people need to realize just how niche that side of combat sports still is.

The PPV buys come from Floyd and people wanting to see him lose, that's it.

Why wasn't Conor making 10-30m dollar purses in UFC before this fight?

Cause MMA is still very small compared to boxing.

MMA people need to realize just how niche that side of combat sports still is.

.....you have litteraly no idea what you are talking about.

Conor McGregor has 3 of the top 10 biggest PPV buys of all time including boxing

You are trying to claim most popular by how much they get paid? That doesn't work because UFC takes the lions share of the money.

Conor for example is a bigger star than Canelo by a good margin and he's one of the other biggest draws around right now

sirap

He's wearing pink trunks??

I mean, I don't care that he'd wear something like that, but you'd think he'd get a lot of shit considering the sport he's in. Plus, also the the fact that he's attempting to intimidate his opponent..

Rich Franklin rocked pink like a bad mf. Dude was a school teacher who could beat your ass ten ways to Sunday.

Conor loves to mess with his opponents. They don't have to be intimidated, just distracted.

Top Bottom