• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Tubie

Ok. Conor's last 4 PVP buy rates

Conor vs Eddie Alvarez - 1.4 million buys
Conor vs Nate Diaz 2 - 1.7 million buys
Conor vs Nate Diaz 1 - 1.5 million buys
Conor vs Jose Aldo - 1.1 million buys

I asked for receipts.

This means nothing to me.

Show me a list with credible sources that show Conor having 3 of the top 10 PPVs ever including boxing PPVs.

commedieu

Banned
I asked for receipts.

This means nothing to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=top...d-metropcs-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

2016-12-20-1482243668-5742492-Top14RecordBreakingPayPerViewSportingEventsInfographic-thumb.jpg

"Buh I wanted a bmp!"

Tubie

...what margin are you talking about? Draw = PPV buys. There is no other metric.

There is no combat sports athlete in the world other than Floyd Mayweather with those buy rates that is active

What I mean is you said 3 of the 10 most bought PPVs in all of combat sports.

Conor McGregor has 3 of the top 10 biggest PPV buys of all time including boxing

So far you showed me a list of MMA fights and with no sources.

The PPV buys come from Floyd and people wanting to see him lose, that's it.

Why wasn't Conor making 10-30m dollar purses in UFC before this fight?

Cause MMA is still very small compared to boxing.

MMA people need to realize just how niche that side of combat sports still is.

Conor wasn't making as much because his promotion (UFC) has a monopoly over the MMA business and can pay their fighters accordingly. Boxing, on the other hand, is much more wide open as far as number of promoters go. And Floyd, for example, is his own promoter, so he stands to pocket a near mint every time he fights. It's a structural difference, not a popularity difference. Conor is absolutely as big as any of the biggest draws in boxing history.

Syder

If you consider Floyd as retired, Anthony Joshua actually has Conor's record beat and is currently the biggest drawing active combat sports star.

commedieu

Banned
Did you see that site before you posted it?

That's 2 and entrepreneur.com doesn't sound credible at all when it comes to sports statistics.

Lol. Huffington post carried it as well
And Forbes reports the same numbers.

It's much easier to say "oh I didn't know that." Than, whatever it is you're doing right now.

Tubie

It's much easier to say "oh I didn't know that." Than, whatever it is you're doing right now.

It's still 2 lol.

And omg at using repost from Huffingtonpost and Forbes lol.

You do know Forbes is a meme around GAF right?

Did you see that site before you posted it?

That's 2 and entrepreneur.com doesn't sound credible at all when it comes to sports statistics.

Bruh. Just. Stop. It makes the mistake of only listing Nate fight once. But let's go down this rabbit hole because you brought it on yourself

McGregor Vs Nate Diaz 1 and 2 buy rate both over 1.6 million

www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/20...-looks-to-have-broken-ufc-pay-per-view-record

McGregor Vs Eddie Alvarez buy rate 1.3 - 1.5 million buys

www.forbes.com/sites/mattconnolly/2...nor-mcgregors-challenge-more-205-fallout/amp/

Those are all per Dave Meltzer one of the authorities on PPV buys. 3 of the top 10 that's just how it is. And he has 4 of the top 11.

He has 5.6 million followers on Twitter
He has 17.4 million followers on Instagram

I did not make any assertions, the guy who am arguing with did.

I'm challenging his assertion.

Then what are these:

The PPV buys come from Floyd and people wanting to see him lose, that's it.

Why wasn't Conor making 10-30m dollar purses in UFC before this fight?

Cause MMA is still very small compared to boxing.

MMA people need to realize just how niche that side of combat sports still is.

Where is your evidence that the PPV buys are all Floyd? If that's the case this PPV should do no better/worse than FLoyd's last, against Andre Berto, right? Just quit while your behind you sound like a jackass.

People bought those fights assuming that they were going to see top level competition. This is pure carnival bullshit and everyone in sports media has told people that it will be just that. You can't compare Mayweather Pacquaio or Aldo McGregor to this and the ticket market shows that.

People bought those fights assuming that they were going to see top level competition. This is pure carnival bullshit and everyone in sports media has told people that it will be just that. You can't compare Mayweather Pacquaio or Aldo McGregor to this and the ticket market shows that.

Purely as fan interest/draw power, you absolutely can, which is all anybody is doing.

That list you posted is actually missing a lot of boxing ppv's.

The Wrestlemania PPVs shouldn't even be on the list.

Mayweater vs Cotto did 1.5 million PPV buys
Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 did 1.4 million PPV buys
Holyfield vs Foreman did 1.4 million PPV buys
Mayweather vs Mosley did 1.4 million PPV buys

Just a anecdotal story, and not even a sports fan personally, but even my GPA who is 78 years old is going to party watching this fight, and I'm pretty sure he's not been to a boxing PPV party since like the late 90s.

Either way, larger point being it does not matter who the fuck who will win/lose this fight. Either way, they will both make made mad money from this freak show.

The gate is already the all time biggest. It broke Many vs May already

Thing is even if you include all those Conor still has 3 of the Top 10 (though one gets shaky as vs Eddie it's between 1.3 and 1.5. No final estimate on that one)

Guys that are able to consistently draw that 1 million range, that's rarified air. That's Floyd, Paq, Tyson, maybe Canelo gets there, but Conor is there. To get 1 million+ people to order a UFC PPV your are headlining (especially when compared to how your average UFC PPV does) say you are doing something right.

Floyd's last PPV with Berto did pitiful (by his standards) buy rate numbers. The idea that people will tune in to watch him fight ANYBODY is no longer true. There is a reason this circus shit show of fight is happening. Floyd wants a HUGE fight, and outside of taking a chance against Canelo again, or someone like GGG, there are very few traditional boxers he can get that with these days.

Guys that are able to consistently draw that 1 million range, that's rarified air. That's Floyd, Paq, Tyson, maybe Canelo gets there, but Conor is there. To get 1 million+ people to order a UFC PPV your are headlining (especially when compared to how your average UFC PPV does) say you are doing something right.

He has 4 straight PPVs well over 1 million and 2 over 1.6.

He's among the biggest combat sports stars ever.

Thing is even if you include all those Conor still has 3 of the Top 10 (though one gets shaky as vs Eddie it's between 1.3 and 1.5. No final estimate on that one)

Floyd's last PPV with Berto did pitiful (by his standards) buy rate numbers. The idea that people will tune in to watch him fight ANYBODY is no longer true. There is a reason this circus shit show of fight is happening. Floyd wants a HUGE fight, and outside of taking a chance against Canelo again, or someone like GGG, there are very few traditional boxers he can get that with these days.

LOL I have made no mention of Conor at all in my posts. I'm upset a list of the highest PPV buys sporting events that was posted wasn't accurate and had WWE ppvs on there.

That's all.

Tubie

Bruh. Just. Stop. It makes the mistake of only listing Nate fight once. But let's go down this rabbit hole because you brought it on yourself

McGregor Vs Nate Diaz 1 and 2 buy rate both over 1.6 million

www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/20...-looks-to-have-broken-ufc-pay-per-view-record

McGregor Vs Eddie Alvarez buy rate 1.3 - 1.5 million buys

www.forbes.com/sites/mattconnolly/2...nor-mcgregors-challenge-more-205-fallout/amp/

Those are all per Dave Meltzer one of the authorities on PPV buys. 3 of the top 10 that's just how it is. And he has 4 of the top 11.

He has 5.6 million followers on Twitter
He has 17.4 million followers on Instagram

I'll give you this one I guess, Conor is BIG in MMA is what I get from this if Forbes contributors are to be believed.

But Conor alone can't carry an entire sport.

LOL I have made no mention of Conor at all in my posts. I'm upset a list that was posted wasn't accurate and had WWE ppvs on there.

That's all.

Oh no I didn't mean to act like I was correcting you or anything, I was just commenting on the list of PPVs your added. Combine that with the infographic and you start to see the same few names popping up over and over. That's not a coincidence.

LOL I have made no mention of Conor at all in my posts. I'm upset a list of the highest PPV buys sporting events that was posted wasn't accurate and had WWE ppvs on there.

That's all.

I'm not jumping on you though, I'm just saying yeah those number should be included it just doesn't change much when discussing Conor's drawing power

I'll give you this one I guess, Conor is BIG in MMA is what I get from this if Forbes contributors are to be believed.

Conor is big in general, not just for MMA. That's the point. He's drawing numbers that rival the most popular boxers in history. The UFC itself may not be as big globally as boxing, but Conor is. He is the biggest star the UFC will likely ever have.

Oh no I didn't mean to act like I was correcting you or anything, I was just commenting on the list of PPVs your added. Combine that with the infographic and you start to see the same few names popping up over and over. That's not a coincidence.

I'm not jumping on you though, I'm just saying yeah those number should be included it just doesn't change much when discussing Conor's drawing power

Oh ok. I already knew Conor was a top PPV star, but others were already getting into Tubie's ass that I just stayed out of it. LOL

Not even close. We'll be happy if it breaks 1 million, which it should but you just never know. Golovkin hasn't been proven as a PPV draw.

Canelo/Chavez Jr did over a million, and everybody knew Chavez Jr. was a bum. A bum with a name, but a bum. Canelo also did like 900K against Cotto, and his star has only gotten brighter. I think one million is a lock. 3 million is wishful thinking though, I agree.

Syder

No but it will do very well.

Like a lot of Boxing PPVs do year round.

Not even close. We'll be happy if it breaks 1 million, which it should but you just never know. Golovkin hasn't been proven as a PPV draw.
If this thing doesn't break a million, that's worse for boxing than McGregor KOing Mayweather.

This is one of the hypest fights in years and shame on anyone that comes out for this freakshow but ignores Canelo/GGG.

I'm going for what I feel should be a conservative estimate of 2m buys BUT that all depends on how they advertise it between now and Sept 16th.

Canelo/Chavez Jr did over a million, and everybody knew Chavez Jr. was a bum. A bum with a name, but a bum. Canelo also did like 900K against Cotto, and his star has only gotten brighter. I think one million is a lock. 3 million is wishful thinking though, I agree.

Only thing that worries me with that buy rate is how much May vs McGregor will affect it. A ton of people are forking over $100 and that fight hits pretty soon after.

Cotto and Chavez Jr had names and were proven PPV draws. Now the fight should do at least a million. It has everything in it's a favor, from the undisputed middleweight championship, 2 top 5 P4P fighters fighting each other, Canelo's star only getting bigger, and fighting on Mexican Independence weekend, but you just never know. Golovkin on his own has done poor PPV numbers.

Tubie

If this thing doesn't break a million, that's worse for boxing than McGregor KOing Mayweather.

This is one of the hypest fights in years and shame on anyone that comes out for this freakshow but ignores Canelo/GGG.

I'm going for what I feel should be a conservative estimate of 2m buys BUT that all depends on how they advertise it between now and Sept 16th.

For some reason Gennady hasn't been able to market himself well in the Americas. I do agree its an incredible shame cause that fight deserves insane sales for the quality it promises.

Getting over a million buys is a tough thing to do that I think people are taking for granted due to the gaudy numbers Mayweather, Pacquiao, and McGregor have done in recent years.

Odd, I was under the impression that Oscar and PAC were big on PPV, not so much.
Good god, Tyson reigned on PPV for like 2 generations, dude was a beast, no wonder boxing stalled when he left, dude was Boxing.
Floyd is on another level, tho Tyson hold more spots on PPV but Floyd's buys are out of this freaking world.

After the top 10, the list isn't accurate otherwise you'd see more Pac and Floyd fights and another Oscar fight in the 11 to 20. You also gotta remember Pac and Mayweather didn't put those numbers up till their fights with Oscar and afterwards. McGregor didn't put those numbers till well after Oscar retired so that's why on recent lists he's gone down.

Syder

Getting over a million buys is a tough thing to do that I think people are taking for granted due to the gaudy numbers Mayweather, Pacquiao, and McGregor have done in recent years.
Even with these factors taken into account, if this fight can't do a mill that's really bad for boxing, in my opinion, wouldn't you agree? If they can't do it, I guess the era of lighter weight classes pulling in crazy PPV numbers is over; going into retirement with Floyd, I guess.

I actually think that this is one area where MMA has boxing beat, viewers are drawn in by smaller guys and women just as much as heavyweights.

Even with these factors taken into account, if this fight can't do a mill that's really bad for boxing, in my opinion, wouldn't you agree? If they can't do it, I guess the era of lighter weight classes pulling in crazy PPV numbers is over; going into retirement with Floyd, I guess.

I actually think that this is one area where MMA has boxing beat, viewers are drawn in by smaller guys and women just as much as heavyweights.

No, it's not bad for boxing. It may be disappointing for this fight. Why are you pinning the 1 million PPV buys on this one fight as somehow more than what it is? LOL

Keep your expectations in check, because Golovkin isn't as big a superstar as people and the media are trying to make him out to be.

Syder

No, it's not bad for boxing. It may be disappointing for this fight. Why are you pinning the 1 million PPV buys on this one fight as somehow more than what it is? LOL
What do you mean 'more than what it is'? After Joshua v Klitschko, this is the biggest fight of the year.
Keep your expectations in check, because Golovkin isn't as a big a superstar as people and the media are trying to make him out to be.
I don't know who is making him out to be a star?
All I know is a lot of people wanted this fight for a long time.
Canelo beating Khan and Golovkin beating Brook will have helped them in the UK and Europe, bearing in mind, these total mismatches did 600k and 500k buys, respectively.
Canelo dominating Chavez jr., the bigger man, and Golovkin beating Jacobs will have helped them in North America too. I also think GGG beating Lemieux and Wade in convincing fashion helps his profile in the American market.
GGG getting in the ring after Canelo's last fight was more exciting than the 12 rounds that came before it.
I don't know how it doesn't break a million.

What do you mean 'more than what it is'? After Joshua v Klitschko, this is the biggest fight of the year.I don't know who is making him out to be a star?
All I know is a lot of people wanted this fight for a long time.
Canelo beating Khan and Golovkin beating Brook will have helped them in the UK and Europe, bearing in mind, these total mismatches did 600k and 500k buys, respectively.
Canelo dominating Chavez jr., the bigger man, and Golovkin beating Jacobs will have helped them in North America too. I also think GGG beating Lemieux and Wade in convincing fashion helps his profile in the American market.
GGG getting in the ring after Canelo's last fight was more exciting than the 12 rounds that came before it.
I don't know how it doesn't break a million.

1 million PPV buys is still a difficult thing to break, and I think you're taking that for granted. Everybody knew Canelo vs Chavez JR would do well, hardly anybody expected it to do 1 million PPV buys including myself.

PPV buys are still built on stars. Now Golovkin vs Canelo SHOULD do a million given everything it has going for it, but it's not guaranteed and the question marks are on Golovkin's side as a PPV draw.

GGG vs Lemiux did 150K PPV buys, GGG Vs Jacobs did 170K PPV buys

Unfortnately GGG isn't Puerto Rican, White American, Black American, Mexican, or even English, Irish, etc.... so he doesn't have that automatic ethnic install base to help him with his numbers on a casual level since he's from Kazakhstan.

Top Bottom