• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Stevenson did tweet out that he wants to unify the titles, but I mean he called out Kovalev too but never made a real attempt to face him either.

For Ward's part, he said he wants to go win belts at cruiserweight and heavyweight but after calling the crawford fight he did say he feels energized and wants to do what Terrence just did and hold all the belts. I hope he goes for it.

Stevenson and Al Haymon did make an attempt after Duva got the WBC to make Kovalev mandatory to his belt and to do a purse bid. Stevenson and Al Haymon were down, but once Kathy Duva learned that she had no way of winning because Haymon had hundreds of millions of investors and would take the fight to any network he pleases, Duva withdrew.

It's Kovalev's promoter Kathy Duva's fault the fight never happened.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/12692849/sergey-kovalev-bails-adonis-stevenson-purse-bid-order

DogDude

man, americans really hate hearing how well uk/european boxing is doing right now lol
I think Americans just don't give a shit because it doesn't change the fact that none of those guys are popular here, so why would they? The sports last gasp here is with mayweather and to a significantly lesser extent Canelo and that's literally it. There's no one even on the horizon that has star power.

I think Americans just don't give a shit because it doesn't change the fact that none of those guys are popular here, so why would they? The sports last gasp here is with mayweather and to a significantly lesser extent Canelo and that's literally it. There's no one even on the horizon that has star power.

C'mon son.

What are you even talking about. LOL

bud

Mayweather vs Berto did over 400k, however it was Mayweather's last fight under his 6 fight contract where he made a guaranteed 32 Million per fight not including the percentages he made off of PPV, and after Mayweather made himself and CBS/Showtime all that money from Canelo vs Mayweather and Pacquiao vs Mayweather they let him take that fight knowing the PPV numbers were going to be low.

CBS even considered airing that fight live on their network for free.

Please put things in context.

the context here is that mayweather's farewell fight only did 400k buys.

kinggroin

Banned
In America compared to what it was, it's well past that after mayweather retires tonight.

Do you watch the sport buddy? You sound like an internet warrior who's formed opinion based on bullshit rhetoric you've surrounded yourself with.

No, no boxing star is Mayweather or Connor big. But also no, it's not even close to dying. It is in fact having one of its best years in a long time.

Boxing is alive and well. There are great talents right now (maybe better than ever) its just that there are no draws. Theres nobody left that could pull 1+ million buys.

Even Mayweather had to pick the right opponents for good numbers.

Sure but that doesn't change that nobody is a draw in the US outside Mayweather/Canelo

Are you only referring to PPV draws or box office draws? Because there are plenty of boxers that are box office draws or fights that can be made that can sell out venues.

You have to gradually build a PPV draw. It's a difficult thing to do.

the context here is that mayweather's farewell fight only did 400k buys.

What does that have to do with anything? It was a fight nobody asked for, and PPV buys reflected that. They knew that.

kinggroin

Banned
Boxing is alive and well. There are great talents right now (maybe better than ever) its just that there are no draws. Theres nobody left that could pull 1+ million buys.

Even Mayweather had to pick the right opponents for good numbers.

Exactly, and as long as it's lucrative enough to draw talent like what we got (and holy shit, what talent that is) then I'm thoroughly satisfied as a fan at least. Also, with the proliferation of easy access streaming video, it's getting harder to bring in large PPV numbers outside freak shows like this.

bud

Are you only referring to PPV draws or box office draws? Because there are plenty of boxers that are box office draws or fights that can be made that can sell out venues.

You have to gradually build a PPV draw. It's a difficult thing to do.

What does that have to do with anything? It was a fight nobody asked for, and PPV buys reflected that. They knew that.

the poster you were responding to said that mayweather isn't a bigger star than mcgregor and that his last fight only did around that number of buys.

you said that things should be put into context.

if mayweather is the biggest star, then why didn't his farewell fight reflect that in ppv buys?

Exactly, and as long as it's lucrative enough to draw talent like what we got (and holy shit, what talent that is) then I'm thoroughly satisfied as a fan at least. Also, with the proliferation of easy access streaming video, it's getting harder to bring in large PPV numbers outside freak shows like this.

It's amazing for a sport that's dead in America, how it gets aired all on HBO, Showtime, ESPN, Fox Sports, and other channels.

the poster you were responding to said that mayweather isn't a bigger star than mcgregor and that his last fight only did around that number of buys.

if mayweather is the biggest star, then why didn't his farewell fight reflect that in ppv buys?

Because who your opponent is matters. Duh.

luchadork

Do you watch the sport buddy?

No, no boxing star is Mayweather or Connor big.

case in point. joshua/klitschko did at least 2million ppv buys. at least. 1.5 just in the uk alone. each fighter got 20million just for turning up. 10 million watched in germany. they sold out fucking wembley stadium. 90,000 seats. these are big fucking numbers.

there are other boxers that can pull a million plus. they're just not in america.

case in point. joshua/klitschko did at least 2million ppv buys. at least. 1.5 just in the uk alone. each fighter got 20million just for turning up. 10 million watched in germany. they sold out fucking wembley stadium. 90,000 seats. these are big fucking numbers.

there are other boxers that can pull a million plus. they're just not in america.

Heavyweight boxing has been dead in America for years now due to the Klitschkos, specifically Wladimir, killing it, that market has been doing amazingly well in Europe for some time now.

The good thing about Joshua is he may have a chance in resurrecting it in America.

Nobody is doubting that. I mean, if it was about physics, Stephen Hawking would whoop their asses.
I don't see the point in this "if" thing.

Conor would lose hard if this was a Basketball match. LOL

It isn't though.

Plus it's not as if Mayweather called out McGregor and said he could beat him in MMA. There's a reason Conor was the one that called out Mayweather, because Mayweahter has the bigger name and the better legacy in his respective sport and he knew he could make his most money fighting this boxer than any UFC fighter.

You have to understand the appeal of Floyd Mayweather; he has just as many people that pay to see him finally lose as he does fans. No one is gonna pay good money to see him against Berto; there's no threat or drama in that fight. You can't take one fight with low numbers and make that conclusion, that's ignoring a lot of context indeed.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can Conor learn to use the Genki Dama with King Kai in time for the ultimate show down? Next time on MVCZ!

Conor would lose hard if this was a Basketball match. LOL

I bet Conor would disagree with that.
thV4hfN.gif

I really want both of them to lose, seeing how they both seem to be shitty humans.
I guess it's a win for both of them no matter what.. What are the estimates how much they'll be making from this?

People will hate on Conor for fucking anything. He is a fighter not a basketball player for fucks sake.

Even then, he made the fucking shot in front of thousands of people and many cameras.

Haters control yourselves lol

lmao, talk about disrespect

Floyd spent last night at his strip club.

I really want both of them to lose, seeing how they both seem to be shitty humans.
I guess it's a win for both of them no matter what.. What are the estimates how much they'll be making from this?

Mayweather's guarantee is 100 million, McGregor's guarantee is 30 million. From there depending upon how successful the PPV is, Mayweather could make anywhere in the range of low to high 200 million, while McGregor could make anywhere in the 70's to 100 range.

Turin

Banned
What the fuck's this disrespect to Andre Ward I was reading in this thread?

GGG's best win is against Danny Jacobs in a fight he struggled in. Ward's beaten better guys than Jacobs in far more impressive fashion. At least wait till the Canelo fight's over. Yeesh.

Top Bottom