• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

What's great is how a lot of the boxing fraternity have given Conor no chance. The egg on face if Conor wins, oh boy.

I don't see it happening honestly. So many people are claiming he won't land a punch / 1st round KO for Floyd etc. I don't see any of that happening. I think he will be soundly beaten but put up more of a fight then many are claiming

I agree it shouldn't be taken lightly, Conor will try to put up a fight and land some shots but it will be a gradual decline.

gogogow

You are mixing two different things.

You couldn't make the media care about it if it wasn't an unusual even (which is what makes the hypothetical scenario I described unlikely), I surely won't argue that.
But the massive media mobilization is what is making people who typically don't care about combat sports care about this.

They don't (well, didn't) even know these guys; they just know that everyone is saying this is some sort of big deal, which makes them intrigued by it.

True on bolded part. I have people at work talking about this boxing match and they don't care about boxing/mma at all. They just read it or heard it in the news(papers) but if you take two nobodies or way lesser known MMA/Boxing guys you would be missing the huge crowd of Conor fans/MMA fans/Boxing fans etc. This is so big because of casuals+non-fans+fans from both sides.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's really downplaying how big Joshua is in the UK. He is the biggest draw in the biggest market in the world.

Man due to this thread I was looking through his stats

Total fights: 19
Wins 19
Knockouts 19
Losses 0

The words Jesus Christ escaped my lips. Good lord those stats are insane. No wonder he's as big as he is.

He couldn't put on a shirt and pants for this?
Lmao. Let him live, but I thought this too. I was like who edited Conor into a stadium shooting a ball in Adobe After Effects.

Like why is Conor in MMA attire(draws) to do that shit?

this was right after an open workout for ufc 205.
this wasn't at a basketball game, the media is there to watch him train. Every fighter on that card worked out on the basketball floor befor they put an UFC octagon in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_mew81BG0

UFC 205 was at MSG (where the Knicks "play").

Turin

Banned
The crowd will definitely go crazy about anything Conor does. If he flurry's on Floyd's gaurd or if he lands a jab, it'll get a roar.

gogogow

The crowd will definitely go crazy about anything Conor does. If he flurry's on Floyd's gaurd or if he lands a jab, it'll get a roar.

Probably. I mean, IIRC, the crowd went wild too when Pac unloaded a flurry of combinations against Floyd, but it didn't hurt him at all.

Farsi

I don't follow either sport so uh: is Conor given for dead because he isn't used to go to the distance or his striking speed is lousy compared to what happens with real boxing?

It's that, and in boxing the punishments for mistakes are unforgiving especially against Floyd.

Conor loves to throw that one two combination in the UFC, jab followed by a straight right or left. That's basic boxing, and he's doing very well with that in the UFC. He tries that shit tonight though and he'll be seeing this for the first time in his life

BadFineChupacabra.gif

zsswimmer

Im looking forward to this fight because no matter the outcome (although I believe Floyd will mop the floor with him) it ends up interesting. Conor loses, eats a big bowl of shit talking stew, and his fans will shut up for a little while, and if Floyd loses.. well that'll be even bigger and I'm not sure what I would do if he got knocked out. I might genuinely yell at the TV.

Floyd is putting a big bet on himself for this fight.

Is boxing the only sport where an athlete can bet on themselves or are there others? Can you bet on yourself in the UFC?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Floyd is putting a big bet on himself for this fight.

Is boxing the only sport where an athlete can bet on themselves or are there others? Can you bet on yourself in the UFC?

In boxing, you are allowed to bet on yourself as the victor, you can't pick the round or how you will win though.

sirap

Is it worth the egg though? If Conor wins we're not giving him back lol

Whichever way you look at it it's a win for fight fans in general lol.

if Conor wins and quits MMA to pursue Boxing full-time that clears up the LW division for actual title fights.

if he loses, he'll make the expected excuses (I'd have beaten Floyd in a real fight etc) and go back to defending his belt.

if he retires, that clears up the LW division for title fights.

It's def overpriced, but one of those things where it's more about getting together with people and everyone just chips in $20, etc. so then it's not so bad.

Yeah we are splitting it between 3 people. $33 each is worth it just for the spectacle and the slight chance something crazy / historic happens

Panzon

I love Conor but I think he only stands a 1% chance of winning this. Looking back at some older Floyd fights, that guys is legit a genius boxer

I love Conor but I think he only stands a 1% chance of winning this. Looking back at some older Floyd fights, that guys is legit a genius boxer

Conor has no shot at all at "out boxing" Floyd. His only real chance (which is still really slim) is to make this rough and dirty as possible and ride the line as close as he can to breaking the rules. Be extremely physical early on. Still probably won't happen but there is a slim shot he could pull that sort of gameplan off

DogDude

Is there anywhere streaming old Floyd fights today? I'd guess not since they're all stuck on HBO hut I'd love to rewatch some.

gogogow

Whichever way you look at it it's a win for fight fans in general lol.

if Conor wins and quits MMA to pursue Boxing full-time that clears up the LW division for actual title fights.

if he loses, he'll make the expected excuses (I'd have beaten Floyd in a real fight etc) and go back to defending his belt.

if he retires, that clears up the LW division for title fights.

More like the haters making the excuses. Who knows what Conor will say, but the last time he lost he took it like a champ and was extremely humble. He blamed no one but himself and praised Nate.

Is there anywhere streaming old Floyd fights today? I'd guess not since they're all stuck on HBO hut I'd love to rewatch some.
There has been a Youtube channel streaming all of Floyd's fights for months.

Right, I'll have egg on my face if that happens. A slim chance is a punchers chance, which everybody had who stepped in the ring with Mayweather. It's cool to hope/wish but to believe Conor is gonna do it is just delusional.

If you read my previous posts I'm not one bit saying that.

I made a separate post (which you quoted) saying how many in the boxing fraternity are going in hard and the egg on face would be incredible if Conor wins.

It's just an observation of people within boxing. My view actually aligns with boxers but I give Conor a small chance.

This person got what I said

It'd be beyond egg on face tbh. If Conor were to KO Mayweather and put him to sleep, I genuinely believe Mayweather would need to be on suicide watch.

As did this person who replied

But you took it as I'm all in on Conor, which I'm very much not. Roy Jones is echoing some of my thoughts in a previous posts and is an example of people within boxing who I'm talking about in the post you quoted. I'm really sceptical on the guys Conor has knocked out and call out the UFC crowd who believe his left hand is Thor. I'll be the one who getting egg on my face to a certain degree, boxing is my sport for 30 years. I'm not even into UFC or MMA.

Sorry, but I just had to make that clear, I loathe to be put in the UFC crowd like that.

jelly

Going to guess McGregor doesn't get close to him and when he does get desperate looking for a hit, Mayweather will get enough punches in to win or a knock out.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't follow either sport so uh: is Conor given for dead because he isn't used to go to the distance or his striking speed is lousy compared to what happens with real boxing?

They're just different sports. Conor's style has been developed for a fight that allows kicks, needs to respect the takedown, and generally has lower quality strikers. With training he'd surely be a competent boxer but this is his first time competing in boxing and he's going against one of the best ever. I heard a Dave Chappelle clip recently where he summed it up surprisingly well with "Floyd's been training for these last few months while Conor has been learning how to box"

No matter how well Odell Beckham runs routes, he's not going to be running any iso plays against Lebron James any time soon.

They're just different sports. Conor's style has been developed for a fight that allows kicks, needs to respect the takedown, and generally has lower quality strikers. With training he'd surely be a competent boxer but this is his first time competing in boxing and he's going against one of the best ever. I heard a Dave Chappelle clip recently where he summed it up surprisingly well with "Floyd's been training for these last few months while Conor has been learning how to box"

No matter how well Odell Beckham runs routes, he's not going to be running any iso plays against Lebron James any time soon.

All that needs to be said really.

Servbot24

Banned
What's great is how a lot of the boxing fraternity have given Conor no chance. The egg on face if Conor wins, oh boy.

I mean if LeBron tried to swim against Phelps everyone would predict Phelps winning. It wouldn't be "egg on face" if LeBron won, because that would be such a freak chance of happening that no one should ever predict it.

Tubie

At least this OT has been entertaining.
Probably be more interesting than the fight itself.

There's gonna be a lot of crow eating no matter who wins.

I mean if LeBron tried to swim against Phelps everyone would predict Phelps winning. It wouldn't be "egg on face" if LeBron won, because that would be such a freak chance of happening that no one should ever predict it.

Problem is that in this scenario people believe that LeBron's ability that he uses in basketball can be utilized in a away so that he can defeat Phelps; and those "abilities" make up for a lack of experience.

FTF

At least this OT has been entertaining.
Probably be more interesting than the fight itself.

There's gonna be a lot of crow eating no matter who wins.

The Conor fans won't eat crow...they'll just be like "eh, well this was supposed to happen so no big deal, etc, etc." They'll brush it off like they weren't spouting nonsense for months...but if Conor wins they'll be unbearably obnoxious and shouting to the skies for a week or two.

Anth0ny

The Conor fans won't eat crow...they'll just be like "eh, well this was supposed to happen so no big deal, etc, etc." They'll brush it off like they weren't spouting nonsense for months...but if Conor wins they'll be unbearably obnoxious and shouting to the skies for a week or two.

Remember kids:

FLOYD WINS

Conor fans: FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA IN A REAL FIGHT HE'D BE DEAD IN TREE SECONDS

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, was obvious conor didn't stand a chance.

CONOR WINS

Conor fans: FOOK YEAH FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, dude's 40 and has been retired for 2 years. was obvious he was going to lose and just here for the pay day.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Remember kids:

FLOYD WINS

Conor fans: FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA IN A REAL FIGHT HE'D BE DEAD IN TREE SECONDS

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, was obvious conor didn't stand a chance.

CONOR WINS

Conor fans: FOOK YEAH FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, dude's 40 and has been retired for 2 years. was obvious he was going to lose and just here for the pay day.

This needs to be in the OP lol

Top Bottom