• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Me and a buddy are splitting the PPV costs tonight, so all I want is it to go past round one. Last time I paid for a fight was in the 90s and it lasted just over a minute, so I refused to do it again.

Farsi

I think Americans just don't give a shit because it doesn't change the fact that none of those guys are popular here, so why would they? The sports last gasp here is with mayweather and to a significantly lesser extent Canelo and that's literally it. There's no one even on the horizon that has star power.

I think you should read this post my man, for educational purposes.

My God, they really have been saying boxing is dead for over a century

It shocked the hell out of me when I saw the newspaper articles back then.

The stuff you're saying, they were saying back in the 1940s.

My favorite quote

Oct 31, 1974 - With Muhammad now unchallenged at the top, the dimwits again will chorus that boxing is dead. They've been saying this since before Sports Illustrated began investigating a fix in the Cain vs. Abel match. If boxing has been dead, you ve been sitting in on the longest wake in history

I think you should read this post my man, for educational purposes.

My God, they really have been saying boxing is dead for over a century

It shocked the hell out of me when I saw the newspaper articles back then.

The stuff you're saying, they were saying back in the 1940s.

My favorite quote

Exactly, plus I remember the articles in the run up to the De La Hoya vs Mayweather as this last big hurrah for Boxing and there aren't any other superstars to replace De La Hoya and Blah, Blah, Blah. LOL

Turin

Banned
The internet's one of the best things to ever happen to boxing and MMA as well.

It'll always be kind of niche because not everyone wants to watch people punch each other all the time. At the same time, there's always a large minority who has an itch for this stuff.

I think it'd be unhealthy if these sports didn't exist.

The internet's one of the best things to ever happen to boxing and MMA as well.

It'll always be kind of niche because not everyone wants to watch people punch each other all the time. At the same time, there's always a large minority who has an itch for this stuff.

I think it'd be unhealthy if these sports didn't exist.

Plus the biggest barrier is the cost especially in America. Being a boxing fan is expensive. You have to buy premium subscriptions to HBO and Showtime if you even want to keep up with the sport and be prepared to shell out for multiple PPV's throughout the year.

It ain't like being an NFL fan where you can watch your home team and major games for free as well as the playoffs and Superbowl.

clemenx

Banned
I can't believe the number of people I've seen who don't care about sports, let alone boxing or mma talk about this thing as the biggest thing of the year. Whoever came up with this fight is a genius tbh.

slider

The last time that I heard about an unconventional fighter that was meant to be trouble for his opponent was Hamed versus Marco Antonio Barrera. That was child against adult.

There's always the chance of something unexpected. But I'd be thoroughly shocked if this goes any way apart from Mayweather's.

The only thing dead about boxing is the heavyweights, and even they are on the upswing with the potential Joshua/Wilder fight in the wings. There's probably the most talented crop of fighters overall since the Hagler, Hearns, Duran days. Of course you would have to be more than a casual boxing fan to realize this.

Drey1082

I can't believe the number of people I've seen who don't care about sports, let alone boxing or mma talk about this thing as the biggest thing of the year. Whoever came up with this fight is a genius tbh.

Because this isn't sports. It's a rocky film come to life.

If rocky and Apollo were huge assholes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only thing dead about boxing is the heavyweights, and even they are on the upswing with the potential Joshua/Wilder fight in the wings. There's probably the most talented crop of fighters overall since the Hagler, Hearns, Duran days. Of course you would have to be more than a casual boxing fan to realize this.

We need a modern day Hagler/Hearns. We've had some great fights but those couple of rounds were easily better than a lot of entire fight trilogies.

It has all the ingredients to create drama and interest for people.

PPV draw vs PPV draw
Superstar vs Superstar
Champion vs Champion
Flashy, Trash talker vs Cocky Shit talker
Old vs Youung
Boxing vs MMA
Black vs White
American vs European (Ireland)

We need a modern day Hagler/Hearns. We've had some great fights but those couple of rounds were easily better than a lot of entire fight trilogies.

Canelo vs Golovkin should have some sparks.

I hate Floyd and Im always dissapointed when he wins. Now my heart rides on an irish street fighter with a left hand bomb. I take what the world gives me dont judge me!

Anyone see the video of Leonard Elerbie during the weigh ins? May's team really thought Conor was gonna miss weight I guess

Is that why they were laughing when Conor was getting weighed in? Rumors were floating around that Conor was having trouble making weight.

I hate Floyd and Im always dissapointed if he wins. Now my heart rides on an irish street fighter with a left hand bomb. I take what the world gives me dont judge me!

Fair enough. LOL

HiiiLife

I bet Conor would disagree with that.
thV4hfN.gif

He couldn't put on a shirt and pants for this?

The last time that I heard about an unconventional fighter that was meant to be trouble for his opponent was Hamed versus Marco Antonio Barrera. That was child against adult.

There's always the chance of something unexpected. But I'd be thoroughly shocked if this goes any way apart from Mayweather's.

Could get really embarrassing for Conor and MMA fighters. I can see a scenario where Conor looks the part for about 2-3 rounds then starts losing focus, gets exhausted missing and taking jabs and body shots and becomes obvious to everyone watching it's an amateur vs pro.

I'm willing to give Conor a good shout, 30% chance in six rounds and hopefully for his sake a valiant loss if this goes the distance or maybe a late TKO due to cuts.

A boxer like Floyd will love a wild open approach from Conor. We could see a Hatton style loss if Conor leans in a lot.

gogogow

Is that why they were laughing when Conor was getting weighed in? Rumors were floating around that Conor was having trouble making weight.
Yeah, rumours spread by Floyd.....

Idk but besides the dumb stuff in the caption due to being a Conor fan page this video does indeed make Leonard look shocked and confused at the weight

https://twitter.com/ConorCountdown/status/901315334971547649

Lol, Leonard believed Floyd's "strong source"?!. Conor never missed weight once, why would he now, for his biggest fight ever.

Lol, Leonard believed Floyd's "strong source"?!. Conor never missed weight once, why would he now, for his biggest fight ever.

My guess is people unfamiliar with Conor's weight cutting (which is extreme) saw him during the week and thought it was going badly. They probably just weren't familiar with how often he does these drastic cuts

Pomerlaw

I really want both of them to lose, seeing how they both seem to be shitty humans.
I guess it's a win for both of them no matter what..

That's how I see it. haha

I somehow hope for a total flop, like KO at the first round or McGreggor throwing a knee ending the fight. lol

Sentenza

The overwhelming majority of people will always "care" about what the media will tell them they have to care.

You could take the most unremarkable boxing match of the year between two average, untalented journeymen and then have TV news, newspapers, tabloids and social media talk about these two people facing each other as an "incredible event", a "clash of titans", and the largest portion of the general audience would be sold on the idea that it will be a "fight that will make history", regardless of how vocally any original fanbase would go around screaming "You are being duped, you're paying for a dud!".

You could take the most unremarkable boxing match of the year between two average, untalented journeymen and then have TV news, newspapers, tabloids and social media talk about these two people facing each other as an "incredible event", a "clash of titans", and the largest portion of the general audience would be sold on the idea that it will be a "fight that will make history", regardless of how vocally any original fanbase would go around screaming "You are being duped, you're paying for a dud!".

The reason this fight is massive is because all the reasons Lightskintwin pointed out earlier. It's not because the "media told people to care about it"

This fight happened due to social media / fan outcry for it. You couldnt take 2 random boxers / MMA fighters and create an event of this magnitude. It's special circumstances

gogogow

My guess is people unfamiliar with Conor's weight cutting (which is extreme) saw him during the week and thought it was going badly. They probably just weren't familiar with how often he does these drastic cuts

I do have to say that I was surprised seeing Conor's face looking slightly gaunt compared to the UFC 205 weigh-in. There he looked great. It's only 1.5 lbs difference,153 vs 154.5.

I do have to say that I was surprised seeing Conor looking slightly gaunt compared to the UFC 205 weigh-in. There he looked great. It's only 1.5 lbs difference,153 vs 154.5.

Well as I pointed out earlier Conor has gained size since 205 I'm pretry sure especially in his legs

Paracelsus

I don't follow either sport so uh: is Conor given for dead because he isn't used to go to the distance or his striking speed is lousy compared to what happens with real boxing?

What's great is how a lot of the boxing fraternity have given Conor no chance. The egg on face if Conor wins, oh boy.

Right, I'll have egg on my face if that happens. A slim chance is a punchers chance, which everybody had who stepped in the ring with Mayweather. It's cool to hope/wish but to believe Conor is gonna do it is just delusional.

I still stand by the fact that if Conor goes in there throwing more punches than the average boxer, moving his head, cutting the ring off and throwing crisp combos, I'll have no problem giving him credit. However NOTHING we've seen suggests that at all. Which is why I'm taking bets. Mayweather late round stoppage.

Sentenza

This fight happened due to social media / fan outcry for it. You couldnt take 2 random boxers / MMA fighters and create an event of this magnitude. It's special circumstances
You are mixing two different things.

You couldn't make the media care about it if it wasn't an unusual even (which is what makes the hypothetical scenario I described unlikely), I surely won't argue that.
But the massive media mobilization is what is making people who typically don't care about combat sports care about this.

They don't (well, didn't) even know these guys; they just know that everyone is saying this is some sort of big deal, which makes them intrigued by it.

Forget Conor winning, what are the chances he doesn't completely embarrass himself out there?

I don't see it happening honestly. So many people are claiming he won't land a punch / 1st round KO for Floyd etc. I don't see any of that happening. I think he will be soundly beaten but put up more of a fight then many are claiming

Top Bottom