• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Syder

@arielhelwani 12m12 minutes ago

For all those asking: McGregor/Mayweather won't walk to the ring before 11:15 pm ET, according to multiple sources. Plan accordingly.

Of course, if undercard goes long, they could walk later, but again, no sooner than 11:15 pm ET / 4:15 am GMT / 8:15 pm PT, per sources.
giphy.gif
How many years ago was this fight?
Nearly 8 years ago.

Tubie

What are the other 3 fights anyways? I've not heard a single thing said about those...

From the OP:

Undercard - 9pm EST

Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca

Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack

Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham

(More info to come)

Prelims - 7pm EST on FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX Deportes

Yordenis Ugas vs Thomas Dulorme

Juan Heraldez vs Jose Miguel Borrego

Anth0ny

@arielhelwani 12m12 minutes ago

For all those asking: McGregor/Mayweather won't walk to the ring before 11:15 pm ET, according to multiple sources. Plan accordingly.

Of course, if undercard goes long, they could walk later, but again, no sooner than 11:15 pm ET / 4:15 am GMT / 8:15 pm PT, per sources.

also remember Mayweather/Pacquiao had so many people ordering the show before their fight that PPV crashed so the fight was delayed like 45 minutes

I could see the same thing happening tonight

Ashhong

All 12 I think, floyd will only go for the ko if the opportunity is there. Kind of like ricky hatton.

This is what I'm thinking. I just have no idea how McG will fight so it's hard to predict

My prediction has been Floyd TKO Rd 8 but I'm starting to wonder if this goes all 12

I can see that is McG is a bit too aggressive and tries to play his own style rather than match Floyd. Don't know much about McG but the dude seems wild and crazy.

This is what I'm thinking. I just have no idea how McG will fight so it's hard to predict

I can see that is McG is a bit too aggressive and tries to play his own style rather than match Floyd. Don't know much about McG but the dude seems wild and crazy.

I like McG but I don't see him going 12. Will be too exhausted to stop being KO'd.

It's been said a bunch but the main thing Floyd needs to watch out for is that straight left. Was just watching some more videos on it and Conor does have insane timing / accuracy with that punch

have 30 on mcgregor to win by ko/tko/dq/etc for 4ish:1 and 20 on mcgregor to win by decision for 26:1 (hahahahahaaaaa)

make fun of me but gotta bet on the irish as an irish

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Conor is a counter puncher. He paces and times his shots. Nothing about him is wild or crazy.

It's been said a bunch but the main thing Floyd needs to watch out for is that straight left. Was just watching some more videos on it and Conor does have insane timing / accuracy with that punch

And speed. I remember Eddie saying he (literally) didn't know what hit him for the first knockdown in their fight. He thought it might have been a kick.

Going by his MMA fights and training stuff it looks like he will fight similar to a swarmer as he has a good chin and appears to slap a lot which is suited to that, however he ain't no Calzaghe so will likely come in for short bursts hoping he can unbalance Mayweather and be out sticking around the edges. He can't box like he does at distance in the MMA as it requires no guard and never holds his hands high for sustained periods either, he wont have mastered multiple guards to play a counter puncher so can't allow Mayweather to walk him down (though I don't think Mayweather would do that anyway as it would be very unusual). His neo-footwork isn't going to bring much to the boxing game as its nothing new and only the best who are very good out-boxer have been successful with it and McGregor is no out-boxer.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ah interesting. Isn't that similar to Floyd?

Apparently the odds for over 8.5 rounds is at 160..I think I'm going to have to jump in

The compelling thing about him in this fight is the same thing that's made him compelling in every fight. He has a proprietary unorthodoxy. He has a quality that is hard to account for.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
McGregor should keep Floyd in the corners and on the ropes as much as possible using his size and cutting off his escapes and punish his body as hard and as quick as possible. Floyd thrives on being able to move around and stay out of situations he can't control. Trying to stop Floyd's movement and containing him should be Conor's priority. Standing toe to toe in the center of the ring fighting Floyd's fight at Floyd's rhythm means it's over before it's started.

Conor isn't going to out box or out move Floyd so he needs to level the playing field. He should be trying to chop Floyd down from the mid section instead of head hunting right off the bat. Hurt his guts over and over so bad that he starts to slow down and get sore then start trying to clean his clock.

The compelling thing about him in this fight is the same thing that's made him compelling in every fight. He has a proprietary unorthodoxy. He has a quality that is hard to account for.

Jesus guys, Diaz touched him up with his basic boxing.

I don't know that Conor could beat Nate in a 12 round boxing match. Conor won't have anything for Mayweather.

Top Bottom