• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2013 |OT| Sliding tackles and browsing spreadsheets

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone got network game to run yet? I tried twice once at midnight release day and one after the latest patch :/

Played a 5 match vs cup with another gaffer. Crashed once, but other than that smooth sailing. Someone mentioned that the users need to be in the same Steam dl region setting, then it worked for us.

I played a bunch this weekend. Went with Crewe Alexendra for my lower league team this time around since Huddersfield is in the Championship these days. The season has been going pretty well so far and we're in the playoff spots, though jumping leagues might make things very tough next season. I'm just about into the January transfer window of the first season.

Does anyone have advice on what attributes to look for in a DoF or my head of youth development? I should hire someone in each of those spots (both jobs currently vacant), but I wasn't sure what to look for.

Meier

Does anyone have advice on what attributes to look for in a DoF or my head of youth development? I should hire someone in each of those spots (both jobs currently vacant), but I wasn't sure what to look for.

I try and hire coaches with a DMD (Discipline, Motivation, Determination) of at least 15 based on a recommendation I saw in the past. I know if you read a news article about someone, it will highlight a few attributes. My guess is these are the ones deemed the most important for that position. You may wish to save the game, hire a DOF and then see what it highlights on the news item.

For the Head of Youth Development, I would think "Working with Youngsters" and JPP would be the most important aspects. I hired one with 20 in that (Potential) category.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I try and hire coaches with a DMD (Discipline, Motivation, Determination) of at least 15 based on a recommendation I saw in the past. I know if you read a news article about someone, it will highlight a few attributes. My guess is these are the ones deemed the most important for that position. You may wish to save the game, hire a DOF and then see what it highlights on the news item.

For the Head of Youth Development, I would think "Working with Youngsters" and JPP would be the most important aspects. I hired one with 20 in that (Potential) category.

The issue with the DoF is that the stats depend on which role you might want to use him in. If you dont let him do anything, he isnt even worth having. I have him searching other clubs for my players I want to sell so I guess determination would be important for that?

Hargenx

Got my first corrupt... ;_;

The game crash after one day pass, I tried reinstal and all the STEAM tricks, but nothing works... :\

Any way to resolve?! I really want to continues my adventure to the first division, was so close... ;__;

Toma

Got my first corrupt... ;_;

The game crash after one day pass, I tried reinstal and all the STEAM tricks, but nothing works... :\

Any way to resolve?! I really want to continues my adventure to the first division, was so close... ;__;

Wth :( Anything you did that might have triggered that? Already scoured the forum for the corrupt save bug thing? Other than that, sometimes developers of other games helped me out and manually fixed a savegame for me. Technical support question?

The issue with the DoF is that the stats depend on which role you might want to use him in. If you dont let him do anything, he isnt even worth having. I have him searching other clubs for my players I want to sell so I guess determination would be important for that?
Cool, thanks for the advice. I normally look for DDM for coaches, and JPP makes sense for the Head of Youth Development. I'll see if anyone is available. With my extremely limited funds (I wouldn't be able to pay either of these guys more than 800/wk), I might just hold off on picking anyone up until I have more cash and reputation to work with.

Hargenx

Wth :( Anything you did that might have triggered that? Already scoured the forum for the corrupt save bug thing? Other than that, sometimes developers of other games helped me out and manually fixed a savegame for me. Technical support question?

I really don't know, I tried do nothing and just pass the time, but always got the same error...

MAYBE, is because I change for Windows 8, is this possible?!

Nyx

Verona into the Serie A.

waiL8.jpg

Hope it's enough as money is low atm.

Timurid

Verona into the Serie A.

waiL8.jpg

Hope it's enough as money is low atm.
You should play Crisetig as a dlp support. Anyway, gj with your promotion. I can't wait to get my toro save going!! I'm getting the game this weekend hopefully!!

Meier

My board turned down making PSV a feeder club despite the shitload of talent that comes from the Netherlands in this game. Ajax and PSV always turn me down...and instead it was the board who fucked me this time. GUTTED.

Nyx

You should play Crisetig as a dlp support. Anyway, gj with your promotion. I can't wait to get my toro save going!! I'm getting the game this weekend hopefully!!

Hmm I loaned him for the DM position, and according to my staff that's his best position as well.

If he fails, I'll try him as a DLP!

Didn't expect to fight for the championship after only one season with Palermo, especially as Miccoli left and I still hadn't managed to find some new better fullbacks. But it happened although I was sure I had messed up with a 0-0 draw against Spezia with only 2 matches left of the league, at this point Napoli got two points ahead of me while Juve was 1 behind.

But Napoli messed up in the very last match losing 3-2 to Parma, so i got the damn title and am now ready for CL and hopefully lots of money to buy more south american talent.
3AQmK.gif

iraxjeLQfQbdd.jpg

My squad :

iqHysZLXU0rVk.jpg

I intended to have Milanovic and Prestia as subs but they proved to often be the most consistent defenders for me, Labrin has also been great when playing but he signed a contract with Lazio so I tried not playing him much.

Pualo Dybala was also wonderful, he was terrible the first season which is one of the reasons I didn't think I would end up with much more than a sub top placement this season.

ibt9oKltbtqzwC.jpg

ibns9LYR8iHUcb.jpg

Just wondering does everyone play with the 3D engine?
I am considering going back to the 2D engine as too often there are strange things happening with illogical player reactions.

Here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RG59BJcx0&feature=g-crec-u

I didn't make this video but have encountered similar things.
Pretty sure this would also happen in the text engine. The 3D engine is just weird in representing what happens at times, but the engine used is the same as the text engine.

Nyx

Just wondering does everyone play with the 3D engine?
I am considering going back to the 2D engine as too often there are strange things happening with illogical player reactions.

Here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RG59BJcx0&feature=g-crec-u

I didn't make this video but have encountered similar things.

SI is already tweaking the match engine, earliest next week an update follows:

Match v1313
-----------

- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending
- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending
- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker
- Improved short pass accuracy slightly
- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly
- Fine tuned shot accuracy
- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs
- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners
- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate
- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles
- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises
- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers
- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar
- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run
- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header
- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied
- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide
- Some ball physics collision tweaks
- Some team talk fixes

Tc91

Any update on a patch for transfers in network games? They know about the problem from what I've read on the official forums. The problem occurs when the host of the game signs a player before any other person in the game. After the host signs a player every deal falls through even when you've agreed everything.

Thanks for the advice, but I've already sold RVP and Hernandez. Got £30m for Hernandez and £25m for RVP.

I now have a strikeforce of Rooney/Welbeck/Henriquez/Jovetic

you're crazy, those 2 were the most prolific goal scorers for me! rooney has been a waste no matter where i play him though and would love to offload him but i'm worried about the reactions from other players/fans/the board

Clegg

you're crazy, those 2 were the most prolific goal scorers for me! rooney has been a waste no matter where i play him though and would love to offload him but i'm worried about the reactions from other players/fans/the board

Jovetic and Rooney are banging in the goals for my side. In fairness, Hernandez is scoring a lot for Munich too. I bought Draxler and have him on the wing. He's doing pretty well too.

But RVP went to Juventus and is injured again.

Hargenx

I'm trying to use the old flags, banners, players face, from the 2012 version but it didn't work, any advice, or wait for a new one?

Play in Brazil with all generic is fucking sad.

Timurid

Hmm I loaned him for the DM position, and according to my staff that's his best position as well.

If he fails, I'll try him as a DLP!
Tbh don't listen to your staff when it comes to player's positions and those scout reports. You should just look at the player stats and you can determine what position they play. I think there's a menu that highlights the particular attributes for position.

Kum0

Cavani is rocking it for PSG.

Sold Zlatan for £22mil (Thanks City) and brought in Cavani.

40 goals all competitions this season!!!

Season 2!

Nyx

Tbh don't listen to your staff when it comes to player's positions and those scout reports. You should just look at the player stats and you can determine what position they play. I think there's a menu that highlights the particular attributes for position.

I've learned to take my staff more serious tbh when it comes to player reports.

They will also take into consideration some hidden attributes which you can't see, and when you make sure the JPA and JPP ratings are high, they really know a thing or two about your players. :)

And yeah I noticed that in this version, pretty handy.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My FC Halifax Town were just promoted to the Blue Square Premier!

I had a shitty start to the season due to getting used to the game (not played FM in 4 years) as well as having to evaluate a totally alien team, then get a bunch of new recruits on a £5k-per-week budget - most of whom are under 20 - and then mess around with my tactics.

I'm currently on a 30+ game unbeaten streak in the Blue Square North and won the league with 3 games to spare. Chester were my biggest rivals and they were on the same points as me before they shit the bed with a couple of draws and losses in a row.

My biggest challenge going into the Blue Square Premier will be convincing my young, talented side to stay with me for the next 2 seasons as from what I've seen the BSP won't be that drastic an increase in competition. I'm going to see how much of a wage budget the board give me as success has clearly went to some of my young players' heads (they want a raise from £120-250 to £500-700.) My fault really, I should have offered them longer contracts to begin with. :/

I'll report back with my favourite players and stuff when the league ends proper.

Meier

I've noticed that 5* ratings are given out like candy this year. I've got about 5 guys on my team that have that as their potential. I'd never seen one before FM13.

industrian

I'm onto the first game of the next season. I've got £7.5k per week contract budget now! Big bucks!

My best player of the previous season - the godlike Gareth Seddon - who unfortunately left the team as I couldn't afford £1k per week.

My favourite and my captain, whom I signed on a free and in one season of constant first team action has grown a huge amount:

I'm kinda scared about the new season as I don't have a prolific striker like Seddon, and I'm going to have to trust a new eccentric goalkeeper as my previous goalie left. That and my left wing is sub-par. But my defence is unchanged and the "core" of the team is solid. I also had to replace my entire backroom staff during the break, and really need a new couple of coaches.

I'm guessing I will end the Blue Square Premier in the top 10, but there's a good chance of me winning it if I can replace Seddon.

Toma

SI is already tweaking the match engine, earliest next week an update follows:
Thanks for posting!

Edit: Oh shit. The sliding change. 2 games, 2 red cards for sliding from behind.

Toma

Thanks for posting!

Edit: Oh shit. The sliding change. 2 games, 2 red cards for sliding from behind.

Holy...3 times in 2 games.

Oh god. Thats borderline unplayable.. Lets hope that was just a really bad streak of bad luck.

That was cautious tackling mode btw.

industrian

One thing I love about managing bottom-tier teams is that it's possible to lose track of your signings.

As in, 70% of my team left when their contracts expired and I had to resort to a rather panicked strategy of "is he good enough for League 2? Fuck it, send a contract anyways." to fill up my ranks again. Combine that with bringing in 15-25 players on Trial and it's hard to keep track of things.

Now I've got at least 2-3 players on my team who I don't know. Should be a fun season. :)

gdsmk

Neo Member
I have played 5 league matches in the lowest Norwegian division, watching full matches in 2d mode and haven't noticed any of the bugs people mention on the SI forums.
Which makes me wonder, if these bugs are only experienced in the 3d mode... does this mean the way your match goes depends on the viewing mode you use?! That sounds crazy... but that's also the thing that the review on Steam implies.

Toma

I have played 5 league matches in the lowest Norwegian division, watching full matches in 2d mode and haven't noticed any of the bugs people mention on the SI forums.
Which makes me wonder, if these bugs are only experienced in the 3d mode... does this mean the way your match goes depends on the viewing mode you use?! That sounds crazy... but that's also the thing that the review on Steam implies.

Isnt that a well known issue for every FM ever? Surprised people complain about it.

Meier

I was surprised to read about that as well. I've only ever played in 3D other than on my phone. I would have thought the 3D was simply providing a representation of the text result. It's odd to think that in that format, the text is dependent on the 3D.. hard to wrap my head around that as you would think the result would be the same regardless.

It would be nice if team talks made any kind of sense. I was just now playing a match, leading 2-0 in the first half but the opposition scored the 2-1 in the 45th minute. So during half-time i told my team to be wary not to drop their concentration, and 9 out of the 11 players was either angry or confused, morale dropped like a brick and i lost the match with 3-2?

What tactic do people use for the lower leagues?

I try a bog standard 4 4 2 with not much in the way of change fromd defaults but havent been able to put a run of results together. With the lower league unskilled players is there a better way of moulding the team to a style then jsut going for more of a bog standard route?

Altazor

Earlier this year I played FM '12 with my (chilean) hometown team with a very VERY limited squad and I won the chilean first divison unbeaten
3AQmK.gif

then we lost in the semifinales of the Copa Sudamericana (NOT to be confused with the Copa Libertadores, which is a more important competition) with a brazilian team, I think it was Palmeiras or Sao Paulo, can't remember which. And on my secnd season I think I was in the playoffs (that's the thing with both chilean first division tournaments -apertura and clausura- the first 8 teams go to playoffs which is based on a "double-elimination" format) and stopped playing.

Something to consider about the chilean first division: with a financially weak team (as my hometown team is - despite having won 8 FD titles so far!), you have to rely on youths, has-beens, loans and leftovers from a more competitive country (mostly Argentina or Uruguay), and maybe MAYBE one potential star from a weaker country if you have the money. You're lucky if you get a million dollars to invest. And, of course, the always present danger of trying to keep your talented players in the squad for a while: I had offers for my best players after only a couple of good matches. I repeatedly turned them down but some of those guys just didn't want to stay and so I had to let them go. And, of course, there's also the fucking deadwood and the difficulty in offloading those players because they just don't want to give up their fucking payroll (and because some of them are so fucking bad, there's nobody who wants them!).

But anyway, it was a fun challenge and I'm really looking forward to play FM 2013.

EDIT: oh, and also it was my 2° time playing FM. The first time was back in '08 (I think) and I quit because I was a complete failure.

Sordid

I try a bog standard 4 4 2 with not much in the way of change fromd defaults but havent been able to put a run of results together. With the lower league unskilled players is there a better way of moulding the team to a style then jsut going for more of a bog standard route?

For San Marino I mainly used a 4-5-1 with a DMC set as anchorman and AML/AMR as either wingers or inside forwards. With my DMC cutting out attacks and pacy players on the wings counter attacking it worked out quite well.

industrian

Ever since I first played my first CM game I've always used 4-4-2 and for FC Halifax Town there's no exception.

4-4-2, Attacking, Balanced got me promoted in my first season.

I've recently been experimenting with 4-4-2 Counter, Rigid and it's saved my ass a few times.

And I always have "Retain Possession" checked. That and always make sure the players are using their suited roles and manually tell them not to take Long Shots unless that stat is above 12.

---

Speaking of my FC Halifax side, we're near top of the Blue Square Premier in January and to my surprise players actually want to come in on loan to us now! Which is good because my captain/star player just broke his foot. And I've maxed out my £9k a week contract budget.

I've got high hopes of coming 1st and all in all, the BSP is not really that big of a step up from Blue Square North. All signs point to League 2 being absolute murder for me though, but I hope by then I've got a respectable salary budget and can bring in some Championship-level players to provide a backbone.

gdsmk

Neo Member

I had a terrible time finding the right style for my third division norwegian side... until yesterday.
I am using counter or direct passing 4-2-2-1-1 tactic - two DMs, two wing midfielders, one AMC and fast striker. Based on this I prepared and fine tuned 4 tactics depending on the strategy I use. It's been working for me ever since.

At low levels the lads cannot play slow-paced-lots of passes-tiki-taka style because they lack the flair and technical skills (I had to lose a lot of games with fluke counter attack goals while having the most of possesion to get that). My team was also short of strong forwards, but had two decent and fast wingers. So I decided to go with quick and rather direct wing tactic with fast passes to my poacher from the wings for him to run onto, while 2 of my DMC take care of any incoming threat and some portion of playmaking.
The AMC is important as he often intercepts the ball, helps with the defending and playmaking a greater deal than deep lying forward.

Also, a lot of fun is the set pieces creator. I have created all of my set plays from scratch (each set for different strategies : )) and it is really satisfying watching them at play, especially using the full match 2d highlights method.

I cannot wait for the next ME patch, it is good to play now and it will get even better then.

Wes

venison crêpe
I've noticed that 5* ratings are given out like candy this year. I've got about 5 guys on my team that have that as their potential. I'd never seen one before FM13.

Aren't the ratings relative to your team strength anyway? If you have a bunch of world class players anyone who is deemed to be "good for the league" by the scout is probably likely to be seen as a "leading league talent" by a team which had just won promotion to the same league.

Meier

Was in the Club World Cup final playing against a Japanese team so I had a few youngsters on instead. Went down 1-0 and put in 3 starters and ended up tying 1-1 after moving to an attacking tactic around the 70th minute. Switched to Counter Attack at the start of Extra time and ended up winning 6-1 lol.

Aren't the ratings relative to your team strength anyway? If you have a bunch of world class players anyone who is deemed to be "good for the league" by the scout is probably likely to be seen as a "leading league talent" by a team which had just won promotion to the same league.

Could be something like that but it's a little unusual either way. I've managed Porto in FM 11, 12 and 13 now and didn't see a single 5* in 11 or 12 but they're quite prevalent now.

industrian

I've noticed quite a major bug/crash-causing issue.

YtIxU.jpg

Every time I click "Set for Release" it crashes to desktop.

Is this a known issue or something unique to me?

Nyx

I've noticed quite a major bug/crash-causing issue.

YtIxU.jpg

Every time I click "Set for Release" it crashes to desktop.

Is this a known issue or something unique to me?

Not sure tbh, can't check the bugs forum @ sigames.

After 15 games in the Serie A with Verona, 2 wins, 3 draws and 10 losses, I decided to resign as my team was very demotivated after I tried a teamtalk that backfired, and things weren't looking good for the future.

Tried to get another job, but it seems no top division team was interested, so I'm going to start a new game. ;)

industrian

Well, bug issues aside: I won the Blue Square Premier and the FA Trophy. It was a tight season and Dagenham & Redbridge pushed me to the very last game. I'd like to note that the amount of money I made in BSP compared to BSN was absolutely staggering - I finished my first season in BSN with -£10k and begun my League 2 campaign with £650k. Hell, I've now got a £20k per week contract budget as well. :) The board also seemed to promise that they'd invest in proper youth facilities too. It looks like the manifest destiny of FC Halifax is taking shape.

I've started League 2 with the standard-operating-procedure of releasing half of my squad, but with now being in a decent league and being able to pay £1-2k a week it was more than easy to rebuild a better team. I only really want a mid-table position so I can establish myself, but if the squad plays well then a playoff place should be attainable.

sohois

Well, bug issues aside: I won the Blue Square Premier and the FA Trophy. It was a tight season and Dagenham & Redbridge pushed me to the very last game. I'd like to note that the amount of money I made in BSP compared to BSN was absolutely staggering - I finished my first season in BSN with -£10k and begun my League 2 campaign with £650k. Hell, I've now got a £20k per week contract budget as well. :) The board also seemed to promise that they'd invest in proper youth facilities too. It looks like the manifest destiny of FC Halifax is taking shape.

I've started League 2 with the standard-operating-procedure of releasing half of my squad, but with now being in a decent league and being able to pay £1-2k a week it was more than easy to rebuild a better team. I only really want a mid-table position so I can establish myself, but if the squad plays well then a playoff place should be attainable.

All the BSP league games I've played in past it's been a breeze getting back-to-back promotions up to the Championship where it gets a little harder. Now, the last 2 games i played were FM'11 & Fm'09, so things could have changed a lot in 2 versions but promotion i would think would still be within reach.

Also the money difference between the blue square league is probably due to most BSN/BSS teams being semi-pro or amateur, all the BSP teams are fully pro teams.

industrian

All the BSP league games I've played in past it's been a breeze getting back-to-back promotions up to the Championship where it gets a little harder. Now, the last 2 games i played were FM'11 & Fm'09, so things could have changed a lot in 2 versions but promotion i would think would still be within reach.

The lowest I ever went in my previous FM game (2007) was Bradford, and yeah, it was a breeze getting to the Championship.

My problems with FC Halifax have always revolved around my squad depth being non-existent due to salary budget constraints. And when you play matches every 3 days it just burnt out my best players. Having to play every 3-4 games with a weakened team was a constant reality due to constantly needing to send my best players on holiday to recover.

Also the money difference between the blue square league is probably due to most BSN/BSS teams being semi-pro or amateur, all the BSP teams are fully pro teams.

My finances were generally always around -£10 to -£50k before I got a got a big-money FA Cup game against Norwich which gave me a huge bump in revenue. But filling out Wembley for the FA Trophy final and getting a good run of sold-out home games near the end of season just pushed it over the top. And now I get TV revenue now too. :) Everything counts in large amounts.

It's a great experience in FM when you take over a tiny team and watch them grow.

Top Bottom