• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2013 |OT| Sliding tackles and browsing spreadsheets

elfinke

This thread is tiny for one of the most played games in the world lol
(I guess everyone is ingame stressing about training regimes and scouting etc)

So is the mobile version worth it this year? I'd like to get it on my Nexus 7, still playing FM12 here.

Is 2013 out yet? I didn't see it on the weekend when I checked. I skipped 2012 but am keen enough to go again this year.

/edit: still just "before Christmas" by the looks of it.

Ah well.

Meier

I highly recommend snagging Yassine Benzia. He plays for the Olympique Lyon Reserve team.. I bought him in January 2014 (as I recall) for about $16.5m and he was immediately a force and I handed him my sole striker role the following year. He just finished the current season (2015-2016) with a 7 goal performance in the Taca de Portugal final (the most I've ever had a player score) and finished with 48 in 49 on the season. He was the leading scorer in the UCL (13) -- second best was Neymar at Man City with 10.

He is signed through 2019 but I'll have to sell him in a year or two since he's on $59k per week and I'd need to offer at least $125-150k to re-sign him. My current top contracts are two regen wingers (one Dutch, one Czech) at around $80k per week.

Meier

I swear the board can fucking kiss my ass. I wish I was Roman. I win the UCL over and over and yet they won't let me add more coaches.. ever. FOAD!!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I swear the board can fucking kiss my ass. [...]

I echo that statement. Unless they expand the stadium at the end of my current season that is. I don't want to be in the Championship with only a 6500~ capacity. My wage bill won't be nearly enough to do shit.

Hopefully winning the Johnstones Paint Trophy gives me enough rep to find another League 1/League 2 side with a decent stadium.

Meier

8 is the max I think, do you have these already?

I don't have as many as I want, that's for sure!

I echo that statement. Unless they expand the stadium at the end of my current season that is. I don't want to be in the Championship with only a 6500~ capacity. My wage bill won't be nearly enough to do shit.

In FM 12, I couldn't build a new stadium for Porto until 2022 or so.. I imagine it'll be easier for you given the small size to start. I hope so, for your sake!

industrian

Just won the Johnstones Paint Trophy. I'm also in good position to earn at least a playoff place in League 1.

Switching from my eternally (ab)used 4-4-2 Attacking to a rather avant-garde 3-2-1-3-1 formation seems to have given my team a kick in the ass after floundering from a higher position.

In FM 12, I couldn't build a new stadium for Porto until 2022 or so.. I imagine it'll be easier for you given the small size to start. I hope so, for your sake!

Right now it's still greyed out from an earlier failed request. :/

Hopefully the board one-up me and just take it upon themselves to expand the stadium. But to be honest all my facilities need the financial equivalent of a kick in the ass - especially if I'm to make it in the Championship.

industrian

There's nothing worse than having the game crash in pre-season. I've no idea how many changes I made since my last save. :/

I won the Playoffs to the Championship and the board took it upon themselves to expand my stadium by a massive 700~ seats! (OMG!) But they also agreed to invest in the youth academy and hopefully that doesn't get cancelled due to lack of funds like two seasons ago.

What got me was their excuse for not expanding the stadium before was "not enough money" - yet the 700~ seats expansion cost less than £100k. And I've been sitting on a total bank balance of at least £600k ever since starting League 1.

I'm hoping that I don't get crushed in the Championship. My wage budget is around £70k per week but I can only give £6-7k per week for a key player.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just left my job at Wolfsburg (top of the league at the time) to go to midtable Valencia. Gulp.

Meier

Just left my job at Wolfsburg (top of the league at the time) to go to midtable Valencia. Gulp.
I never get other job offers. What setting do you have enabled that results in this? Do you have to load like every country in Europe essentially?

Sordid

Ha, I won the Capital One Cup in my 3rd season as Everton and I was pretty happy with myself. The board not so much though, "we always expected to win it and are glad we did. We hope the manager keeps celebrations to a minimum and focuses on other competitions."

How rude, they never mentioned winning it in their season expectations :(

Edit: I'm getting taken over by a local businessman who will wipe our debt if he succeeds \o/

Wes

venison crêpe
I never get other job offers. What setting do you have enabled that results in this? Do you have to load like every country in Europe essentially?

I loaded in the top 10 leagues. And then made playable the ones I want to manage in (England, France, Italy, Holland, Germany, Spain).

I applied to the Valencia job after their manager got sacked rather than they offer it to me first. However I had won the league with Wolfsburg when they were predicted to come 8th and my reputation is borderline Continental, my contract was coming to an end and my salary was low so they didn't have to pay off Wolfsburg all that much.

I have been offered jobs in the past though. Liverpool and Dortmund in the past 3 years. So it does happen.

Jackano

Since there is a thread bump, I will said how my story ended brutally on FM 12 two days ago.
Closing FM12 after a save, shuting down the PC. A few hours later, when starting again, check disc on my OCZ SSD when windows start up, adding info to some files that told me, starting FM 12 again and bam, not going to load my save... checking it, it's 0Ko.
Last copy was a month (real life) ago (and ~150MB), which is eternity in FM.
Steam cloud saving can't restore any previous saves, which pretty much confirm how useless and forced steam is for FM-only users.

EURO 2032 in England will never have a winner, see you in FM 14!

Randdalf

Defying the media's prediction for your team is so satisfying. Currently top of League Two halfway through the season in a FM12 new save as Dagenham & Redbridge, was predicted to come 17th.

industrian

Defying the media's prediction for your team is so satisfying. Currently top of League Two halfway through the season in a FM12 new save as Dagenham & Redbridge, was predicted to come 17th.

It's the story of my FC Halifax team so far. I've went from the Blue Square North to the Championship with 4 straight promotions (1st, 1st, 3rd, Playoff Winners) with pretty much each time the media telling me that I'm going to lose every game and struggle with relegation.

They're probably right this year though. The Championship is a crazy leap in talent from League 1.

Sordid

I did end up getting taken over by that local businessman but instead of clearing the debts he took out another £21 million bank loan :*( despite that disappointment I went on a crazy run of 14 wins in a row and thought I'd nabbed the title but Man Utd scored in the last minute of their game to beat me by a point.

Gutted!

industrian

It turns out that my "stadium expansion" was actually just a conversion of my standing-area to a seating area. :/ No expanded capacity whatsoever. And the board still claim to have no money to expand the stadium even though I've now got over a million in the bank.

I hope that if I can survive the Championship then they'll just expand the stadium by themselves. I'll figure I'll need around double the capacity (right now it's 6500~) in order to give me a budget capable of both getting to and surviving in the Premier League. My last match was a 1-4 slaughter at the hands of Blackburn, and in comparing the sides and salaries was just crazy.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PSP version is up on the EU Store now. Also compatible with the Vita if anyone is interested...
Decently interested. Any impressions on last years or even his years version?

Anyone got advice for tactics - especially formations or tactics in match?

I'm just starting out (managing Stevenage in League 1) but wow, 2013 seems a lot more in depth.

Presume that best advice would be to have a few more matches to allow me to know the team better?

Signed a few youngsters on loan (including Andre Wisdom from Liverpool and a junior from Chelsea) but the board were so damn reluctant to increase my transfer budget.

I forgot how deep this game can be though, it's a bit overwhelming at first.

industrian

Anyone got advice for tactics - especially formations or tactics in match?

I'm just starting out (managing Stevenage in League 1) but wow, 2013 seems a lot more in depth.

Presume that best advice would be to have a few more matches to allow me to know the team better?

Signed a few youngsters on loan (including Andre Wisdom from Liverpool and a junior from Chelsea) but the board were so damn reluctant to increase my transfer budget.

I forgot how deep this game can be though, it's a bit overwhelming at first.

4-4-2 is a good enough starting point. I went with 4-4-2 attacking + rigid and Retain Possession for a long time. Then I started mixing it up. I have my training stuck on Defensive Positioning though.

Regarding how to find out your best players: You can find out what players your coaches think are the strongest and use that as a baseline. Personally the first thing I do when taking over a team is to organise a friendly between my senior side and reserves. I then field what I think is my strongest 11 players and leave the rest in the reserve team. The results of the friendly game and player performance should be enough to make decisions with.

And look exclusively for 0% wage-paying loans and free transfers. I've taken FC Halifax from the Blue Square North to the Championship and I've yet to pay a penny for anyone. That money is best spent on the wage budget.

Cheers.

I have been trying 4-3-3 but find that we keep losing the ball too much in the middle of the park, so will try a standard 4-4-2 for the next couple of matches.

industrian

My team's youth facilities have been upgraded! They've went from non-existent (rented) to "Minimal."

I love having to build everything from scratch. :)

On a more positive note I managed to convince the board to get me a feeder team. I managed to get a high-flying Blue Square South side (Canvey Island) and it's a great sight to see four of my potentials get match experience.

I've had a lot of success with using a counterattack strategy during games.

I've been trying this out recently combined with the "Standard" type of play. So far it seems pretty good. As in: I'm not getting dominated by the opposition anymore (and haven't lost in 5 games.)

industrian

Beating Manchester United is always fun.

Beating them with FC Halifax in a home cup replay after drawing 1-1 at Old Trafford even moreso.

xEVRd.jpg

I've got Oxford (League 1) in the next round, so I figure I can get past them and into the quarter finals.

Not bad for a team like mine. Hell, I'm surprised the game even went ahead. I had all my home games in January postponed.

Tc91

New patch is out today with a ton of fixes to the match engine.

Flicking through fm-base and I come across this guy:

292370d1355870382-angels-approach-managing-devils-manchester-united-guide-fm13-nick-gabb_-overview-profile-3.png

I have never seen a regen that good O_O.

industrian

The new patch fucked a few things up. Nothing major, but annoying.

1) It subscribed me to news feeds of the odds/pre-match BS of EVERY game in every league I was subscribed to.
2) Set all my training to low.

That and my star striker whose contract runs out the coming summer wants £30k a week (currently on £5.5k and my wage budget itself is £90k). But that's probably not because of the patch. :p

Clegg

In my save, all the best regen strikers come from Germany.

And all the best fullbacks come from Argentina.

It's a bit weird.

Meier

New patch is out today with a ton of fixes to the match engine.

Flicking through fm-base and I come across this guy:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attachments/football-manager-2013-discussion/292370d1355870382-angels-approach-managing-devils-manchester-united-guide-fm13-nick-gabb_-overview-profile-3.png[IMG]

I have never seen a regen that good O_O.[/QUOTE]

OMG! That's amazing -- never seen anything like that. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing much more than 1 to 1 from a real player or a regen. The fact he is identified as a 4* is too funny as well.

I have not been playing much lately since I've been glued to my Vita and P4G. One thing that annoys me a bit is that they've kept the same regen faces for all these years. I mean come on SI, you've got literally the ugliest trolls ever in a game and don't update them for years and years?! They look worse than Oblivion NPCs.

industrian

I've noticed a bug here.

On the training screen, when I try to change "Next Week", it changes "This Week" instead.

That and I've somehow ended up scheduled to play two games in two days. Not sure if this is a bug or just shitty luck though. :/

Sordid

1) It subscribed me to news feeds of the odds/pre-match BS of EVERY game in every league I was subscribed to.

This is happening to me too, seriously annoying.

I think the match engine changes have ruined my 4-4-2, it's my 4th season and I was unbeaten after 26 games with Everton and level on points with Utd in first. 4 games and 4 losses post patch mean they're now 7 points ahead and Spurs are only 2 points behind. The dream is dying :*(

industrian

This is happening to me too, seriously annoying.

I think the match engine changes have ruined my 4-4-2, it's my 4th season and I was unbeaten after 26 games with Everton and level on points with Utd in first. 4 games and 4 losses post patch mean they're now 7 points ahead and Spurs are only 2 points behind. The dream is dying :*(

I'm not sure whether it's changes to the match engine or me just being awesome, but I've went on a massive run with my Halifax team. We're 2nd in the Championship at the beginning of January (Leicester are dominating, 10+ points ahead in 1st place.) I'm quietly optimistic of finishing in the playoff slots.

Do you guys think that FM 2013 will be cheap this Winter Sale? It's my only remaining 'Must Buy' game, but I can only get it if it's around 10 dollars.

ElyrionX

So I just bought FM2013 after not having played this in long while.

I notice that the game is missing club logos and player faces and such. I googled a little and found many "packs" available to download. Can someone please recommend the best pack or combination of packs that I should get? Thanks!

kharma45

I notice that the game is missing club logos and player faces and such. I googled a little and found many "packs" available to download. Can someone please recommend the best pack or combination of packs that I should get? Thanks!

http://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/style/1/cut-out-player-faces

http://www.fmscout.com/a-sps-logos-megapack-for-fm13.html

They're the two I'm using and I'm more than happy.

Timurid

I usually go to http://www.sortitoutsi.net, but they're down for maintenance at the moment. They have facepacks, club/National team logos, kits, and name changes all of it.

industrian

I won the Championship in my second attempt in it (came 18th previously.) Achievement unlocked: English Hero.

Now time to offload half my team and build it up again. Hopefully we get another stadium expansion too. 9000~ ain't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Edit: £54 Million for TV rights. Holy fucking shit. That's more money than I've made in all my career so far combined. Championship teams only get around £3 million for the entire season.

elfinke

What's the verdict on FMH2013 for iOS? The top few reviews on the App Store would suggest it simply isn't worth it, again.

I think I'd take a smaller database (or an option for one) in order to enjoy a more fully featured FM experience, at this point. I'm sure it can only be RAM limitations, and thus database sizes, that hold iOS FM back from greater glory? I dunno.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Sordid

I've got like six 5 star rated regens in my 5th season as Everton but they look nothing like some of the screenies posted, those guys look crazy! Not that it matters anyway, any time one of my players has a good season either Man City, Spurs or Newcastle (??) always put in huge offers for them that I can't refuse :(

What's worse is they hardly ever get games for their new clubs. I bought Libor Kozak for £2 million and he scored 33 league goals in 42 games over a season and a half as a target man. Newcastle offered £15 million which I needed to balance Everton's crappy finances so I let him go. He's just had his debut as a sub at the end of September... they bought him in January and stuck him in the reserves . Weird :/

kharma45

Started a new save and it feels so fucking random.

Playing as Manchester United I've beaten Chelsea 2-0, lost to West Ham 6-3, beaten Man City 3-1 and now I'm 3-0 down to Spurs at half time, all with essentially the same team.

Beyond me what's going on, players seem to be clueless arseholes one game and then everyone is fucking George Best in the next.

Timurid

Started a new save and it feels so fucking random.

Playing as Manchester United I've beaten Chelsea 2-0, lost to West Ham 6-3, beaten Man City 3-1 and now I'm 3-0 down to Spurs at half time, all with essentially the same team.

Beyond me what's going on, players seem to be clueless arseholes one game and then everyone is fucking George Best in the next.

It depends on your tactics! You have change your tactic to counter the team you're facing. How did you beat man city 3-1? I always draw or beat them by like 1 goal in my arsenal save.

Top Bottom