• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2013 |OT| Sliding tackles and browsing spreadsheets

Nyx

Busy with my Fiorentina game pre-season, and to add some more challenge I decided I'm not going to play with more than 3 foreign players in my starting 11.

Luckily Fiorentina have quite some good Italian players already, but also quite some foreigners.

So far I sold Claudio Pizarro to Hoffenheim, and Adem Ljajic is going to PSG, which wasn't so hard as a lot of topteams were interested after I transferlisted him.

Hopefully I can get rid of people like Romulo, Nenad Tomovic and Ahmed Hegazy as well before the transfer deadline, but it might be tricky..

Meier

Hopefully I can get rid of people like Romulo, Nenad Tomovic and Ahmed Hegazy as well before the transfer deadline, but it might be tricky..

It's March 2016 for me (Porto) and I could never sell Kelvin or Varela.. they'll both be leaving on a free in a few months time. Been trying to sell Atsu for years but no one is interested despite his $15m valuation.. very frustrating.

Lost a few other guys on frees but have managed to sell Alex Sandro for $38m with a 50% sell on and Fernando for $55m with a 50% sell on. Initially I had received $50m from United for Alex Sandro and while the work permit, etc. was sorting itself out, they bought Fernando too. Turned out they didn't have enough money for both so I had to take less for Alex Sandro later. Ahh well, such is life!

I will need to sell Danilo in another year or so as he is expecting a $120k per week contract which I can't even come close to affording. James Rodriguez will have to go as well finally (both are signed until June 2018) but Adryan seems like he'll be a competent replacement as he has remained a future 4.5* player for me.

Timurid

I decided to start a demo save with my favorite team Torino FC!! I'm very surprised at how good my preseason has been so far. I've managed to get a few players in such as Ekdal and Petrucci. I'm in the process of getting macheda on loan from Utd. I decided to post my Tactic and fixtures so far. Also, i posted the stats from the PSG game. Look at that awesome passing completed and possession hehe
ViPOv.jpg

jHh49.jpg

rvLcS.jpg

Nyx

It's March 2016 for me (Porto) and I could never sell Kelvin or Varela.. they'll both be leaving on a free in a few months time. Been trying to sell Atsu for years but no one is interested despite his $15m valuation.. very frustrating.

It's pretty hard indeed to get rid of some players, I've put the ones that no one seems interested in on my ''unwanted'' list, hopefully my DoF does something with it.

Sold Borja Varelo just before I quit last night though, he was worth 11m but no one wanted him for that price, so I lowered it to 7.5m and there was Chelsea. :)

Also El Hamdaoui is gone, on loan to FC Twente.

Just hope I have enough quality left to get a top half finish though.

Oh and I bought a player as well, Darko Lazovic, a Serbian right winger for 6m.

So my 3 foreigners in the starting lineup are going to be Stefan Savic, Stevan Jovetic and Darko Lazovic.
Italian with a Eastern European touch. ;-)

Nyx

SI is still busy with Match Engine fixes, so far they have :

Match v1313
-----------

- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending
- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending
- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker
- Improved short pass accuracy slightly
- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly
- Fine tuned shot accuracy
- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs
- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners
- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate
- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles
- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises
- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers
- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar
- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run
- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header
- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied
- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide
- Some ball physics collision tweaks
- Some team talk fixes

Match v1314
-----------

- Further tuned team shape and d-line position when defending
- AM strata now comes back to defend unless set to "all out attack"
- Made d-line shift up when opposing player with ball is successfully pressed
- Made d-line shift back quicker when attacking player is running with pace at them with the ball
- Some tweaks to marking of opponents in own area
- Fixed defenders shifting across as full back engages winger in last third causing bad shape
- Tried to reduce instances of players heading ball they could control a split second later
- Some minor fixes relating to player interception of ball
- Some refinements to off ball movement around ball player
- Some general tweaks to pass choice and on ball decision making
- Some more minor keeper save fixes
- Fixed some instances of woodwork hit not being registered
- Fixed player not waiting to getup before running off to celebrate after scoring a diving header

Match v1315
-----------

- Fixed ultra rare crash when player shoots from close range
- Further small refinements to on ball decisions and pass choice
- Improved direct free kick trajectory slightly
- Improved crossing aim AI
- Fine tuned pass and shot accuracy slightly
- Improved player reaction and awareness of ball generally
- Improved defensive tracking of player running with ball
- Slight reduction of player reaction time to fast curling balls
- Slight reduction of player reaction time when ball a long way away from them especially if not facing it
- Improved defender lateral positioning when defending wide ball
- Fixed winger not staying wide when asked to hug touchline and ball on his side in advanced position
- Goalkeeper should narrow the angle better when a play is running at him at speed
- Goalkeepers should try to move under the ball path even if they think they can't reach it.
- Fixed a bug where the keeper fails to catch a ball if it has just hit the crossbar/post
- Fixed keeper turning ball over bar described as turning it round post
- Fixed some player collision avoidance issues
- Fixed a bug where an offside is given instead of a free kick
for a foul
- Stop a rare teleport bug with goal celebrations
- Fixed animation issues whilst player argues with ref
- Fixed small anomaly in team selection AI

Btw the main reason we cant release this yet is that we are quite low on shots and goals - too many defensive fixes Hopefully we can get it back to a reasonable number on each count in time to release next week.

And as you can see, hopefully next week the update will be released.

Randdalf

From the demo, one of the things I don't like about this year's match engine is that players seem to spend a lot of time with their back to goal. If they see a defender coming, a lot of the time they'll just turn around slowly and pass it, it's really odd sometimes.

kharma45

Anyone had issues with unknown, young players asking for crazy wages?

Some 20 year old Mexican regen wanting £80k a week :|

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Got fired by Fiorentina, my careers in FM13 haven't been the best..

By how much did you miss the expected result? Did they fire you after one year of not meeting expectation?

My lowest english league team is still in nPower2, couldnt play that much lately.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I would assume it's down to him perceiving your club as being a huge club combined with the squad status you're offering him.

But yeah, that sounds like a bug. :p

kharma45

I would assume it's down to him perceiving your club as being a huge club combined with the squad status you're offering him.

But yeah, that sounds like a bug. :p

I'm fucking Bath City :lol :( It's my first season in the PL.

It's basically impossible to sign anyone half decent now :\ crap.

Nyx

By how much did you miss the expected result? Did they fire you after one year of not meeting expectation?

My lowest english league team is still in nPower2, couldnt play that much lately.

They fired me after 16 games and 18th place.

industrian

I'm fucking Bath City :lol :( It's my first season in the PL.

It's basically impossible to sign anyone half decent now :\ crap.

Decent. I'm close to winning League 2 with FC Halifax.

My main problem right now with signing dudes is that pretty much everyone over 28 years old wants a player+staff role, and I've got no room for any more coaches not to mention most of them have shit attributes for the job they want. My entire team is nearly-enough under 25 because of this.

Meier

Doumbia seems like a good buy a few years down the line. Benfica got him on a free from CSKA Moscow and he's having a huge season. Scored a ton in Russia as well (28 in 35 in his final year there, 21 in 31 in his first year at Benfica).

Meier

Seems to me that contract/wage complaints are far more common in this than in previous years. 3+ years left on your deal and you want a 3x wage increase despite making a decent amount already ($40k per week at age 20)?! Yeesh..

kharma45

Decent. I'm close to winning League 2 with FC Halifax.

My main problem right now with signing dudes is that pretty much everyone over 28 years old wants a player+staff role, and I've got no room for any more coaches not to mention most of them have shit attributes for the job they want. My entire team is nearly-enough under 25 because of this.

I found one of the best ways to get guys in the lower leagues was to use the DoF, he seems to be able to get good deals for the most part.

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't know what the last patch did to the match engine but I'm sure it has made my keeper awful.

industrian

I found one of the best ways to get guys in the lower leagues was to use the DoF, he seems to be able to get good deals for the most part.

I've not got one. I've never seen the need.

I'm pretty content with my team too, even if it is full of kids rejected by top-tier teams (the best kind of kids really.) The fact I've kept the same back four largely the same (my left back has changed a few times) since the Blue Square Premier says wonders about their abilities and potential. So far I've signed 2-3 turkeys, and that was largely due to trying to get any player in a panicked reaction in losing 90% of my team after the first season.

kharma45

I've not got one. I've never seen the need.

I'm pretty content with my team too, even if it is full of kids rejected by top-tier teams (the best kind of kids really.) The fact I've kept the same back four largely the same (my left back has changed a few times) since the Blue Square Premier says wonders about their abilities and potential. So far I've signed 2-3 turkeys, and that was largely due to trying to get any player in a panicked reaction in losing 90% of my team after the first season.

I've found they can be pretty good at finding handy players in the lower leagues.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't know what the last patch did to the match engine but I'm sure it has made my keeper awful.

They need to fix the "defender walks backwards trying to catch a ball" thing as well. Super annoying.

Globox_82

Banned
man I have been playing old CM and FM for a decade but in last 18 months I have stopped watching football after being fanatic about it for 15 years. I just lost interest for what ever reason. Probably because of this I can't get my self to start this years FM. I turned game on twice so far and after 5 min shut it down...
Bummer ....

The worst thing about the game is that every team is playing like Barcelona and also pulling it off. Its so dumb to see some BSL team, with players who have passing 6 and decisions 4, string together 40 passes at the edge of your penalty area without any interceptions or failed passes.

I also cannot seem to get wingers to work, they always want to pass through the middle, despite forcing them to the wings through tactics. Its like some bug which causes the AI to always prefer the centre of the pitch. Hope it gets fixed because the FM12 match engine seemed a lot more versatile towards different tactics.

Nyx

Let’s hope the ME update that should be out this week, fixes a lot of the problems.

In the meantime my 3rd career game seems to start out well.
Started at Aston Villa this time, and in the end of December I’m in 4th place in the EPL.

industrian

Just came third in League 2. Still got promoted. But at a cost. The amount of money I lost due to win bonuses was staggering, and led to my board cancelling making a new youth academy. Hopefully they can funnel some money into making a better stadium, because if I can only get a maximum 6000~ asses on seats per home game it's just going to be a constant haemorrhage of money.

Nyx

Latest ME fixes, update still planned for sometime this week.

Match v1316
-----------

- Fixed bug causing players to occasionally react too late to pass
- Improved pressing of opponents slightly
- Made players more willing to go for a riskier interception if ball receiver is in a goalscoring position
- Tweaked keeper positioning when facing down attacker
- Reduced pointless passing slightly
- Fine tuned chance of speculative passes slightly
- Refine kick innaccuracy algorithm slightly

Match v1317
-----------

- Fixed defenders not turning quick enough when tracking player running onto through ball
- Reduced likelyhood of players making pass when in clear cut shooting position

Looks like it's shaping up nicely.

Nyx

A new update (13.1.3) has been released, including ME fixes.

The complete changelog:

MATCH ENGINE

v1313
· Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending
· Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending
· Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker
· Improved short pass accuracy slightly
· Tried to increase number of crosses slightly
· Fine-tuned shot accuracy
· Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs
· Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners
· Made players better at offering out ball to team mate
· Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles
· Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises
· Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers
· Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar
· Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run
· Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header
· Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied
· Fixed commentary saying ball well wide when not really that far wide
· Some ball physics collision tweaks
· Some team talk fixes

v1314
· Further tuned team shape and d-line position when defending
· AM strata now comes back to defend unless set to "all-out attack"
· Made d-line shift up when opposing player with ball is successfully pressed
· Made d-line shift back quicker when attacking player is running with pace at them with the ball
· Some tweaks to marking of opponents in own area
· Fixed defenders shifting across as full back engages winger in last third causing bad shape
· Tried to reduce instances of players heading ball they could control a split second later
· Some minor fixes relating to player interception of ball
· Some refinements to off ball movement around ball player
· Some general tweaks to pass choice and on ball decision making
· Some more minor keeper save fixes
· Fixed some instances of woodwork hit not being registered
· Fixed player not waiting to get up before running off to celebrate after scoring a diving header

v1315
· Fixed ultra-rare crash when player shoots from close range
· Further small refinements to on ball decisions and pass choice
· Improved direct free kick trajectory slightly
· Improved crossing aim AI
· Fine-tuned pass and shot accuracy slightly
· Improved player reaction and awareness of ball generally
· Improved defensive tracking of player running with ball
· Slight reduction of player reaction time to fast curling balls
· Slight reduction of player reaction time when ball a long way away from them especially if not facing it
· Improved defender lateral positioning when defending wide ball
· Fixed winger not staying wide when asked to hug touchline and ball on his side in advanced position
· Goalkeeper should narrow the angle better when a play is running at him at speed
· Goalkeepers should try to move under the ball path even if they think they can't reach it.
· Fixed a bug where the keeper fails to catch a ball if it has just hit the crossbar/post
· Fixed keeper turning ball over bar described as turning it round post
· Fixed some player collision avoidance issues
· Fixed a bug where an offside is given instead of a free kick for a foul
· Stop a rare teleport bug with goal celebrations
· Fixed animation issues whilst player argues with ref
· Fixed small anomaly in team selection AI

v1316
· Fixed bug causing players to occasionally react too late to pass
· Improved pressing of opponents slightly
· Made players more willing to go for a riskier interception if ball receiver is in a goal scoring position
· Tweaked keeper positioning when facing down attacker
· Reduced pointless passing slightly
· Fine-tuned chance of speculative passes slightly
· Refine kick inaccuracy algorithm slightly

v1317
· Fixed defenders not turning quick enough when tracking player running onto through ball
· Reduced likelihood of players making pass when in clear cut shooting position

V1318
· Fixed keepers not reacting to powerful close range shots

GENERAL/PERFORMANCE

· Improved processing speeds
· Fixed rare crash when pressing ‘Set for Release’
· Fixed sole crash using edited database in network game
· Fixed interface slowdown when scouting hundreds of players at once
· Fixed issue where teams were being overcharged Tax

COMPETITIONS

· Fixed Russian Cup final clash with World Cup call-ups
· Fixed Spanish registration window in 2015/16 season
· Fixed user taking control of friendly, when assistant set to

CONFIDENCE

· Fixed board confidence in relation to ‘Give youth a chance’ promise
· Fixed board expectations not reflecting those set in meeting
· Improved international managerial appointments

GUI

· Fixed live league table widget not holding position
· Fixed attribute colour state saving
· Fixed coaching assignment state saving
· Fixed scrollbar reverting top top when adjusting individual training
· Fixed squad depth chart displaying PA over CA
· Fixed up/down keys not responding post-match
· Fixed new position training state saving
· Fixed custom background pictures not showing

NETWORK

· Added ‘Show only friends’ option to network lobby
· Fixed inconsistent behaviour of timers
· Fixed pre-match force continue proceeding too far
· Fixed client scouting assignments
· Fixed client match vs host, when host on holiday
· Fixed flickering/slowdown on client transfer list screens

TRANSFERS & CONTRACTS

· Staff in FMC now signed onto rolling contracts
· Fixed agents offering players for £200m
· Fixed French transfer values
· Fixed rare instance of transfer news with no option to respond
· Fixed loophole allowing Rangers to break transfer embargo

The new match has made the game a lot more fun. Matches feel a lot faster due to players actually passing the ball forward instead of constantly sidewards or backwards, wingbacks and wingers actually using the flanks and through balls actually being played.

On the other hand, i also see dumb goals like this now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4EAbrkpEP0

Meier

I dunno what the fuck this update did but it has made my team shit. First game I took 2 shots with only 1 on goal (scored) and then I replayed it -- 6 shots with 1 on goal against bottom feeders Naval. Game ended 0-0 with them taking 0 shots total. Initially I had in my youngsters but the second time I put in my star attacking players and it made no difference. I don't know what they did, but it certainly hasn't opened anything up for me.

This is a team that scores over 3 goals a game including two 6-1 matches!

Nyx

I dunno what the fuck this update did but it has made my team shit. First game I took 2 shots with only 1 on goal (scored) and then I replayed it -- 6 shots with 1 on goal against bottom feeders Naval. Game ended 0-0 with them taking 0 shots total. Initially I had in my youngsters but the second time I put in my star attacking players and it made no difference. I don't know what they did, but it certainly hasn't opened anything up for me.

This is a team that scores over 3 goals a game including two 6-1 matches!

Did you change your tactics since the update?

Cause I think some tweaking is probably a good idea due to all the changes to the match engine.

-Eddman-

Being mexican, I don't think that's an issue, mexican football wages are surreal even in real life, lol.

Anyway this thread made me interested in the game. Hopefully I can get it in future Steam Sales with a discount.

This update has fucked over my Chelsea save :/ I get an injury every 2 or so games and in my first game after the update got 3 injured :/

I was on course for the title too. Am about to play Madrid too so that should be fun!

Sordid

That sucks dude :/

The patch helped me a lot luckily, I was 14th with Everton after 16 games the board were unhappy with me. Cue the patch and my tactics finally starting working like I'd hoped they would and I ended up finishing 4th. Injuries do seem a bit too frequent though (and I'm seeing quite a few red cards)

Omikron

This was a fairly tasty come back to make it 7 wins in a row.

Don't think I have come from 2 goals down at half time in quite some time (like multiple FM versions....), let alone 3.

Note: I seem to have a thing for Italian players this year... mostly all frees (Bellusci, Faraoni, Viviano), or very cheap (Paloschi ~2mill).

Nyx

Finished my 1st season at Aston Villa, 4th place in the PL and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Best players were Christian Benteke (27 goals), Shaun Murray (12 assists), and Ciaran Clark. (7.30 rating)

Already started season 2, bought Nathaniel Cyne and Pablo Sarabia as new starters (RB and ML), and beat Shakthar 3-1 in the 1st match of the Champions League 4th preliminary round.

pants

This thread is tiny for one of the most played games in the world lol
(I guess everyone is ingame stressing about training regimes and scouting etc)

So is the mobile version worth it this year? I'd like to get it on my Nexus 7, still playing FM12 here.

industrian

I feel like I've hit a wall with my FC Halifax team. I'm in a good position to be promoted to the Championship, but I feel there's no structure to hold me there if I do. I can only offer less than £3k a week to my players due to only having a 6500~ stadium and there's not enough money to expand it. :/

Nyx

i conceed way to many goals. any advice to improve defnsive behaviour? :(

Depends on the rest of your tactic I guess.

But you could set your defensive line a bit more back, fiddle with man/zonal marking and offside trap, pressing etc.

Top Bottom