• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

I don't mean just over the last 6 months. The Glazer's have been sucking United dry for the last 8 years. Do you really think Fergie was happy to pass up on so many talents because they weren't "value"? Before the Glazer's took over the club spent £26m on an 18 year old and didn't baulk at spend wasn't sums for other players. This whole value nonsense only became en vogue when the Glazer's took over. Debt isn't even an issue anymore. We should be out there signing players right now.

It may be that Moyes isn't good enough. Also who in their right mind thinks Phil Neville has anything to tean RVP or Rooney? But right now all we're hearing is the same transfer excuses Ferguson gave us. It's very worrying as an United fan. We really do need to spend some money.

You spent 24 on a 29 year old.

Leg-End

United are overreacting like Arsenal fans did when things went pear shaped for us. All Moyes needs to do is get top 4 everything else is bonus at this point. Then just build his squad and go again next season.

What happens if they don't get Top 4 then? Wouldn't be overreacting would it?

The difference between some fans and others is some of us can see the iceberg whilst others bury their head in the sand. I was behind Moyes after the home defeats against Everton and Newcastle whilst others DID overreact but it is now much worse than it was. Not getting Top 4 is an actual reality now, there are too many good teams around to just assume it will happen, arrogant in fact given the way we have played all season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I thought I'd give this a serious answer.

I don't think much has changed with regards the rules on this issue since the last time it was brought up. In this single thread it's "acceptable" in the loosest possible sense at the moment.

I think most of us understand that when people are using the term we are using it in jest or as an exclamation of dismay, much in the same way people would say "Shit!" or "Fuck!" if they stubbed their toe on a bit of furniture or your central defender scored an own goal. That's just the way the word is increasingly being used, particularly in British society and football communities, by adolescents and young adults these days and the majority of us currently in here fill one of these groups.

With all that said there are some things to consider. This is a worldwide forum with a diverse range of members. As such the spectrum of acceptability on the use of this term is also equally large.
If you're having a dispute with another poster calling them this word is generally not a good idea. You may think "it's fine because I'm saying it in the football thread", "I meant it as a joke" or "it was just some banter" but they may not react in the way you thought they would. Don't always assume that using the word is fine and that you're immune from any reprisals.

I'd hate for the number of contributors to this thread to be less than what it could be because of our prevalence for using this one word. If it was becoming clear that this one issue was causing new people to the thread from taking part and joining our community here I think the leniency the football thread has on this issue would likely change as a result.

I think you guys are wise enough to know when it is acceptable, when it isn't and when someone has gone too far. For instance excessive use just for the sake of saying it isn't cool.

Finally a reminder, using this word anywhere else on the forum will get you zapped straight away so just don't use it. This holds true for all football/soccer related threads which may open up in OT. For example using it in a World Cup thread lead to a ban.

yes daddy Wes

tumblr_lfa5tmS93q1qdok1go1_500.gif

YES

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We should remember that Van Persie, Rooney and Jones are all injured, with those three they are vastly better. Not 'nailed on top 4' better but at least capable of intimidating opponents. You look at their last two team sheets and there is no-one that is going to win them matches.

Randdalf

Finally a reminder, using this word anywhere else on the forum will get you zapped straight away so just don't use it. This holds true for all football/soccer related threads which may open up in OT. For example using it in a World Cup thread lead to a ban.

Even if Cüneyt Çakır is having a particularly bad game?

Clegg

You spent 24 on a 29 year old.
In the last 6 years our revenues have increased dramatically but we've seen no proportional increase in transfer fees spent. Andersred has done a decent analysis on it.

RVP and Berbatov have been our only significant signings. For a club of United's wealth, that just isn't good enough. I'm not saying that I want us to to what City or Chelsea or PSG have done. But I have no doubt that our squad would be in a much better state if it weren't for the Glazer's. That value stuff is clearly nonsense.

Salvadora

In the last 6 years our revenues have increased dramatically but we've seen no proportional increase in transfer fees spent. Andersred has done a decent analysis on it.

RVP and Berbatov have been our only significant signings. For a club of United's wealth, that just isn't good enough.
You bought Fellaini for £27.5m not six months ago.

Lightning

Banned
What happens if they don't get Top 4 then? Wouldn't be overreacting would it?

The difference between some fans and others is some of us can see the iceberg whilst others bury their head in the sand. I was behind Moyes after the home defeats against Everton and Newcastle whilst others DID overreact but it is now much worse than it was. Not getting Top 4 is an actual reality now, there are too many good teams around to just assume it will happen, arrogant in fact given the way we have played all season.
Spurs are shit, they not making top 4. Liverpool unpredictable but even at Anfield they are still going to struggle against Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Everton etc. Still very wide open, only 5 points and you will likely beat Sunderland 1-0 at OT taking you into the final and this will be forgotten.

Hixx

BdaI1a3CQAAtt2V.jpg

how can that dour cunt criticize the ref. One of them twins they have should have been red carded.

And complaining about the free kick for the first goal........ burst out laughing when I listened to his interview in the car.

wedward

RVP and Berbatov have been our only significant signings. For a club of United's wealth, that just isn't good enough. I'm not saying that I want us to to what City or Chelsea or PSG have done. But I have no doubt that our squad would be in a much better state if it weren't for the Glazer's. That value stuff is clearly nonsense.

You are the new Arsenal. It's frightening.

Woodward/Gazidis claim the money is there, but Moyes/Wenger won't spend it. Top 4 becomes a trophy. Moyes/Wenger out!

Leg-End

Spurs are shit, they not making top 4. Liverpool unpredictable but even at Anfield they are still going to struggle against Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Everton etc. Still very wide open, only 5 points and you will likely beat Sunderland 1-0 at OT taking you into the final and this will be forgotten.

Fair points but Liverpool are a well drilled side with an in-form Suarez, its easy to say they have those sides to play but so do United and they basically have no form or confidence, even when they were winning they weren't winning well.

United can forget about City, Arsenal and Chelsea because barring a complete crumble they are long gone. So it's about outscoring Liverpool, Everton and Spurs on points, not sure I fancy us to do it.

The upcoming Chelsea away is huge now, if they beat us comprehensively I see no way back.

Clegg

You also spent 18 on a keeper.

You spent 17 on Ashley fucking Young.

You spent 15+ on Kagawa who has been a bust.

You haven't spent wisely, i'll give you that.

De Gea and Jones signings are deemed as value because they're young and talented and ,if worst comes to worst, will have a decent resale value. There shouldn't be any issue in those signings. Kagawa was a very good player who was bought for a very good price. The fact that he hasn't worked out isn't the issue.

We've missed out on a myriad of players over the course of the Glazer's ownership because we had to toe their lie. There have been a number of very poor purchases, I'll give you that.

pulga

Banned
I thought I'd give this a serious answer.

I don't think much has changed with regards the rules on this issue since the last time it was brought up. In this single thread it's "acceptable" in the loosest possible sense at the moment.

I think most of us understand that when people are using the term we are using it in jest or as an exclamation of dismay, much in the same way people would say "Shit!" or "Fuck!" if they stubbed their toe on a bit of furniture or your central defender scored an own goal. That's just the way the word is increasingly being used, particularly in British society and football communities, by adolescents and young adults these days and the majority of us currently in here fill one of these groups.

With all that said there are some things to consider. This is a worldwide forum with a diverse range of members. As such the spectrum of acceptability on the use of this term is also equally large.
If you're having a dispute with another poster calling them this word is generally not a good idea. You may think "it's fine because I'm saying it in the football thread", "I meant it as a joke" or "it was just some banter" but they may not react in the way you thought they would. Don't always assume that using the word is fine and that you're immune from any reprisals.

I'd hate for the number of contributors to this thread to be less than what it could be because of our prevalence for using this one word. If it was becoming clear that this one issue was causing new people to the thread from taking part and joining our community here I think the leniency the football thread has on this issue would likely change as a result.

I think you guys are wise enough to know when it is acceptable, when it isn't and when someone has gone too far. For instance excessive use just for the sake of saying it isn't cool.

jeez wesley youve become a debbie downer :(

Didn't Evilore sanction the word for general use though? Of course not when calling another poster a "cunt" in the OT, but if I call Justin Beiber a "cunt", there's no reason for a ban, right?

wedward

De Gea and Jones signings are deemed as value because they're young and talented and ,if worst comes to worst, will have a decent resale value. There shouldn't be any issue in those signings. Kagawa was a very good player who was bought for a very good price. The fact that he hasn't worked out isn't the issue.

We've missed out on a myriad of players over the course of the Glazerys ownership because we had to toe their lie.

I noticed you ignored Young lol.

GorillaJu

If I put the PS4 in standby, will ACIV carry on downloading? Doesn't seem to be a 'Turn off PS4 when downloads have finished' option

Not sure, was a little confused myself about this. "Bought" Don't Starve on the iOS app while my console was in standby, got up in and turned it on later and both it and an AC4 update had been downloaded. I lean toward yes?

jeez wesley youve become a debbie downer :(

Didn't Evilore sanction the word for general use though? Of course not when calling another poster a "cunt" in the OT, but if I call Justin Beiber a "cunt", there's no reason for a ban, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the deal. The Gaf rules were to be civil to each other in discourse, but the word "cunt" isn't given special consideration like racial or homophobic slurs.

You haven't spent wisely, i'll give you that.

Is there a big spending club which haven't bought a few duds for a lot of money?. Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea & Man City can all produce a list of similar players. It's the calculated risk you have to take.

Elchele

Watched the first minute or two. I'd say he's speaking Pep. It's unidentifiable stuff mixed with German football words (mainly verschieben - move) and some broken German filled with English words lol

I have no fucking idea what's going on

But to be fair, the Bayern players don't really look like they know what's going on either lol

:lol thanks

wedward

Is there a big spending club which haven't bought a few duds for a lot of money?. Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea & Man City can all produce a list of similar players. It's the calculated risk you have to take.

No, but to act like you haven't been able to spend large amounts of money is disingenuous. If those players weren't duds this conversation would never be happening. Man United could have had Mata if they wanted. They went after Kagawa instead.

Not the same year, but the point still stands.

Midfielders have been available, but Fergie ignored them.

Clegg

I noticed you ignored Young lol.
I've no doubt that we were interested in Young because he was a decent player for Villa. However, he was "just" £16m. That's the level of price we usually go for. We rarely go for the more expensive option.

Van Persie is a world class player we got for less than what would be expected. Probably too expensive for a player with one year on his contract, but he's brilliant so you should pay for that. Fellaini was just a complete balls up from start to finish.

The point isnt that we don't spend money. The point is that compared to other clubs our size, we spend too much within our means.

rvy

Banned
Today, one child of prophecy PM'd me about my avatar. My spirit soared high. My heart-rate went up. My penis was becoming ready.

Motherfucker wanted to know her name.

Elchele

NOTICIA:NILS MATTHIESEN,portavoz de la POLICIA de BREMEN ha confirmado la aparición de un OVNI hoy a las 18:30 sobre el estadio del W.BREMEN

The spokesman of the police of Bremen confirmed an UFO showed at 18:30 on top of the Werder Bremen's stadium.

Bremen police have confirmed that today at 6.30pm an UFO has appeared over Werder Bremen stadium
from @tancredipalmeri

This is related to that Samsung shit campaign isn't it?

kharma45

guys but it's fucking Olympiakos

if he can't manage a team with Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Januzaj, DDG past Olympiakos what hope is there for him?

It'd be another embarrassment but he should get another summer to try to shape his team.

He's not the manager I wanted by any means but we've got him now so he should be given a fair crack at it.

Wasn't the Khedira offer £35m? There's more money there than has been spent.

Sure there was a lot of smoke saying that we tried out outbid Madrid for Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom