• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
4rFJ0ed.png

Guidetti will never play for City. I've just come to that realisation. :(
Pretty sure I told you that when he left Feyenoord

TeddyBoy

Quick summary of Echo LFC transfer webchat;

Courtesy of Viktor Fagerström ‏(@ViktorFagerLFC)

I'll update this post if anything else is said.

EDIT: Webchat over

Thanks for posting this, there doesn't seem to be anything really special here, but it's interesting to see how that Pearce doesn't think a wide player isn't a priority for this window.

I'm also against signing Mata, I don't really think he really suits Liverpool right now. Rodgers always likes buying players who can play in multiple positions to confuse the opposition and change the game without using substitutions, but Mata can only really play behind the striker as a CAM (although if he can play out wide then sign him up Rodgers! :p).

Also, it seems like we did enquire a while back for Bertrand. While nothing really special, he's consistent and wouldn't be a bad player at all and if Johnson does leave in the summer, it may be better buying him now so we don't have to replace three out of the back four come July.

Feorax

I can see why Moyes would be hesitant though. He can go out and sign players who may need time to settle in and therefore offer no immediate positive impact on the team. Maybe it really is better to wait until the summer. But it's a world cup year so any deals for the best players will be put off until after it ends. We may not have CL football either so it could get harder for us to attract the players we want. He's in a tricky position.

I don't think the club can afford to risk it. The worse case scenario is that you go into the summer with no european football to offer, with a manager who is far from proven, without any silverware this season, with several core players leaving (Giggs, Vidic, Evra, etc), and possibly one or even both of Rooney or RvP trying to force their way out.

It sounds dramatic, but it's a scenario that could well come to fruition, and if that does happen then, any additions made in January in problem areas will be a hell of an asset, even if United overpay by a few million, and it takes them a little while to gel.

Clegg

I don't think the club can afford to risk it. The worse case scenario is that you go into the summer with no european football to offer, with a manager who is far from proven, without any silverware this season, with several core players leaving (Giggs, Vidic, Evra, etc), and possibly one or even both of Rooney or RvP trying to force their way out.

It sounds dramatic, but it's a scenario that could well come to fruition, and if that does happen then, any additions made in January in problem areas will be a hell of an asset, even if United overpay by a few million, and it takes them a little while to gel.
I don't think we can risk it either.But it all depends on what the manager thinks. If we can't get the players we want in January then we may wait for summer to try again. But by then the da!age may have already been done.

Feorax

Thanks for posting this, there doesn't seem to be anything really special here, but it's interesting to see how that Pearce doesn't think a wide player isn't a priority for this window.

I'm also against signing Mata, I don't really think he really suits Liverpool right now. Rodgers always likes buying players who can play in multiple positions to confuse the opposition and change the game without using substitutions, but Mata can only really play behind the striker as a CAM (although if he can play out wide then sign him up Rodgers! :p).

Also, it seems like we did enquire a while back for Bertrand. While nothing really special, he's consistent and wouldn't be a bad player at all and if Johnson does leave in the summer, it may be better buying him now so we don't have to replace three out of the back four come July.

Yup. I can also see why a striker isn't a priority. There's no reason Borini can't come in and do the role Hernandez does for United when he's back next year. If Aspas can get some time and adapt to the league, he's also going to be a good option to have.

Regarding wide players, I think Assaidi has surprised a few people on loan this year. He's almost Kuyt-esque right now in being the man for the big occasion. Makes a change considering we've been flat-track bullies most of the season. Him returning and Salah coming in the summer would probably do us for a long time, especially with Ibe and Sterling developing well, and Suso to return.

I don't think we'll be looking for a LB to dispace Enrique immediately, so I expect we'll probably only focus on getting a first team RB in the summer. If we could get Montoya now, he would be perfect, as he could fill in at LB until Enrique is back, and then hopefully displace Johnson.

CM is a big problem. We really need a Yaya/Fernandinho type of player to keep control. Hopefully we can get that.

Graeme le Saux wrote an article on the homophobic abuse he received when he played, despite not being homosexual: http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.co...-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

"Pretty soon, opposition players were winding me up about it. I was in my second spell at Chelsea when the real problems began. From the time the rumours first surfaced, I got plenty of comments from other players about being a “faggot” or a “queer”. Robbie Savage seemed to get a particular thrill out of it, but I guess that will not surprise anybody. I told him he should say it to me at the end of the game when I had tackled him a few times; see if he still wanted to call me a poof then."

Nope, it doesn't.

Also Robbie Fowler comes across a right cretin in this but that's no real surprise either.
Grim.

TeddyBoy

Yup. I can also see why a striker isn't a priority. There's no reason Borini can't come in and do the role Hernandez does for United when he's back next year. If Aspas can get some time and adapt to the league, he's also going to be a good option to have.

Regarding wide players, I think Assaidi has surprised a few people on loan this year. He's almost Kuyt-esque right now in being the man for the big occasion. Makes a change considering we've been flat-track bullies most of the season. Him returning and Salah coming in the summer would probably do us for a long time, especially with Ibe and Sterling developing well, and Suso to return.

I don't think we'll be looking for a LB to dispace Enrique immediately, so I expect we'll probably only focus on getting a first team RB in the summer. If we could get Montoya now, he would be perfect, as he could fill in at LB until Enrique is back, and then hopefully displace Johnson.

CM is a big problem. We really need a Yaya/Fernandinho type of player to keep control. Hopefully we can get that.

I pretty much agree entirely, except I don't think Assaidi is really good enough tbh. Sure he's got a few good goals but when he played for us he was shocking, I think we can do better and I'm sure Stoke will be happy to keep him once his loan expires.

Montoya would be a good buy. I think defensively, right back is the bigger problem right now, but because Johnson has a clause requiring him to play every game, we can't get anyone to replace him. I'm not totally sure if Montoya's any good on the left, but if Montoya is played on the right then Johnson can play left back until the summer :p

adeptos79103727.jpg

1. Bayern (Alemanha), 370 pontos
2. Real Madrid (Espanha), 290
3. Chelsea (Inglaterra), 273
4. Atlético Madrid (Espanha), 251
5. Barcelona (Espanha), 247
6. Paris Saint-Germain (França), 240
7. Basilea (Suíça), 239
8. Atlético Mineiro (Brasil), 238
9. Tottenham (Inglaterra), 238
10. Benfica (Portugal), 232

the top 10 clubs of 2013.

Fry

adeptos79103727.jpg

7. Basilea (Suíça), 239

Tottenham

hahahahahhaahah

faridmon

Barzul

adeptos79103727.jpg

7. Basilea (Suíça), 239

How did Tottenham make that list. So many English clubs had a better 2013 than they did.

Perhaps that might actually explain why we were stricken with injures all the time.

Willbury can do one. i prefer Martinez style of Man Management, and if someone bitch and moan about my preference then its his problem. Thanks Moyes, but I am glad he left!

Last season with Fergus:

iUYkZYHHJh7Cm.jpg

This season with Moyes:

ibp38CyGK4cJ0r.jpg

Looks like Moyes ball isn't exactly the same shit as last season. United rely on their wingers more this season than last.

arkon

Mata's played out wide before for Valencia IIRC and was pretty handy there.

Jack cw

adeptos79103727.jpg

7. Basilea (Suíça), 239

Blablurn was faster with this ;)
But its nice to see a german team up there for the first time. I hope we stay there a litlle bit longer.

faridmon

Last season with Fergus:

iUYkZYHHJh7Cm.jpg

This season with Moyes:

ibp38CyGK4cJ0r.jpg

Looks like Moyes ball isn't exactly the same shit as last season. United rely on their wingers more this season than last.

I honestly doesn't understand why Moyes is basing his play from wingers when the wingers are quite shite. I can't fathom. Maybe, once you will get a quality wingers, you will improve, but as it stands, it is not quite efficient.

Scum

adeptos79103727.jpg

7. Basilea (Suíça), 239

Europa Lge wins innit.

Not the slightest bit surprise. Moyes needs change things up. This is one of the things that the Partner at work who is an Everton fan talked to me about. The other was his dodgy substitution.

TeddyBoy

Then Rodgers knows what must be done ;)

He did so quite a lot at Chelsea too and was very successful out there. That he can only play behind a striker in the CAM position is simply not true at all. This stat is from July but

So I'm doubly wrong, he would be perfect for Liverpool :p

But he's never going to Liverpool. About as likely as Costa going to Arsenal.

Abramovich dropping the truth bombs, but I live in hope.

He did so quite a lot at Chelsea too and was very successful out there. That he can only play behind a striker in the CAM position is simply not true at all. This stat is from July but

His performance ratio is higher from that wing, too, with seven goals and nine assists in 14 appearances, compared to 10 goals and 13 assists in 25 starts in the hole.

But he's never going to Liverpool. About as likely as Costa going to Arsenal.

faridmon

Not the slightest bit surprise. Moyes needs change things up. This is one of the things that the Partner at work who is an Everton fan talked to me about. The other was his dodgy substitution.

He always actually punished players for attacking (Rodwell against Man United and City comes to mind) and his players weren't actually fit due to injuries and them being tired.
While his squad building is quite impressive, as a Coach, he was quite middling.
And he will never change things up. 11 years with us, and we played the same way!

arkon

Graeme le Saux wrote an article on the homophobic abuse he received when he played, despite not being homosexual: http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.co...-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

"Pretty soon, opposition players were winding me up about it. I was in my second spell at Chelsea when the real problems began. From the time the rumours first surfaced, I got plenty of comments from other players about being a “faggot” or a “queer”. Robbie Savage seemed to get a particular thrill out of it, but I guess that will not surprise anybody. I told him he should say it to me at the end of the game when I had tackled him a few times; see if he still wanted to call me a poof then."

Nope, it doesn't.

Also Robbie Fowler comes across a right cretin in this but that's no real surprise either.

Interesting reading that. I always thought Fowler was a bit of a cunt for that incident. This just cements it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Looooooooool

Toro ain't going to be relegated anytime soon. :D

You can see your Pogba and Verratti dream in Paris next year.

In all seriousness Timmylove, Pogba+Verratti won't happen anytime soon. Not with PSG or Juve. It's one or the other.

It'll be an indirect swap sooner or later.

the most promising French Judas for the most promising Italian Judas.

Feorax

The Le Saux article is extremely interesting, and truly highlights a big issue in the sport.

Fowler has said today on twitter he and Le Saux are on good terms, and its all in the past. I don't buy it, and I don't blame Graeme in the slightest if he's still upset by it.

The comparison to racism is the big one here. Everywhere but football they are considered equally heinous. Look at how demonised Suarez was for his use of racist language agaibst Evra. I don't think he is a racist, but it was a terrible thing to do all the same. Would he have been castigated by the public and the FA had he called Evra a puff or a faggot? No. I'll go as far as to say as i reckon those terms are probably used at least every other week in the PL.

Batigol

Banned

Nope, it doesn't.

Disgusting. No wonder players are afraid to come out

Savage has always been a cunt so no surprises there

Feorax

PhantomGoal 6m
Rodgers fined £8k for criticising a referee. Frimpong was fined £6k for tweeting 'yid scum', Morrison fined £7k for calling someone a faggot

The FA, ladies and gentlemen.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Nope, it doesn't.

I don't want to watch football anymore

rvy let's start our own ItagakiGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom