• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWheels

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Liverpool fans are amazingly funny. They hang on Brendon's ballsack despite the fact he hasn't brought them a shred of success, hasn't achieved a damn thing, and has a big mouth for someone who hasn't accomplished anything. By Rodgers own words top 4 is an achievement and the limit of Brendon's ambitions this season yet you mock Wenger who has seen Arsenal have NEVER been without it throughout his entire reign as our manager.

Carry on Liverpool boy. Mocking Arsenal's top 4 finishes yet desperately hoping Liverpool finish in the top 4 even over the FA cup. Funny crowd.

Dismissing Rodger's as a manager is stupid. He managed to bring Swansea out of the Championship and establish them as a midtable side in their first premier-league season playing attractive football that everyone likes to watch and respect. It's not as if he secured their position playing hoofball like so many promoted clubs.

We have had him for one season. It took him half a season to stabilise the team and for the players to get use to him. Our form since January 2013 has been very good, whilst bringing good transfers without having the luxury of Champion's League football, or the financial power of Arsenal, or a recognised name to attract players.

And yes fourth would be achievement for us as based on where we have finished over the last few seasons. It would be a very good achievement considering the squads of the teams above us and around us. Honestly Wenger barely scraping a Champion's League squad for the last few seasons is really under performing as his team is capable of much more and he is personally capable of bringing better transfers than he has done in previous seasons (compared to the players the teams competing the league title have purchased in the last few years). In reality Wenger has under performed in the last 5 years apart from this season so far.

Clegg

Tomorrows DM has a piece about life at United under Moyes. The piece claims that several senior players effectively retired after Fergie left. Also say that there's a lot of resentment amongst the players over the special treatment of Rooney.

L1NETT

I like Rogers but I do know a lot of bitter Hornets who hate him after he walked out on them despite saying he was 100% committed to the club. Can't blame them really.

Good manager, but don't go comparing him with Wenger. Not even in the same ball park at the moment.

- Personally think Wenger did a good job getting Arsenal 4th with the squad he had and considering the amount of money the clubs around him were spending in fees and wages. Arsenal squad has been really poor last few years (combination of poor transfer and transition to youth) and I don't think they could have done much more. Maybe just me.

Dismissing Rodger's as a manager is stupid. He managed to bring Swansea out of the Championship and establish them as a midtable side in their first premier-league season playing attractive football that everyone likes to watch and respect. It's not as if he secured their position playing hoofball like so many promoted clubs.

We have had him for one season. It took him half a season to stabilise the team and for the players to get use to him. Our form since January 2013 has been very good, whilst bringing good transfers without having the luxury of Champion's League football, or the financial power of Arsenal, or a recognised name to attract players.

And yes fourth would be achievement for us as based on where we have finished over the last few seasons. It would be a very good achievement considering the squads of the teams above us and around us. Honestly Wenger barely scraping a Champion's League squad for the last few seasons is really under performing as his team is capable of much more and he is personally capable of bringing better transfers than he has done in previous seasons (compared to the players the teams competing the league title have purchased in the last few years). In reality Wenger has under performed in the last 5 years apart from this season so far.

This is so true. Arsenal Gaf want to view him as a saint, but I still think there are loads of managers who would have achieved something with us in the same amount of time and Fergie would have won the league with our squad.
Wenger is just too stubborn.

pulga

Banned
BdpfO9WIcAALmoW.jpg

your move Barca

Gentlemen's Club, indeed.

Madrid don't operate that way. They brought Sahin despite not needing him, they're Madrid. They don't care about players careers, they care about names.

Yes, that is exactly what we do. That's why we have Mesut Ozil rotting on the be-

oh wait, no. Think a bit before posting.

Scum

Tomorrows DM has a piece about life at United under Moyes. The piece claims that several senior players effectively retired after Fergie left. Also say that there's a lot of resentment amongst the players over the special treatment of Rooney.
Just sell him Cleff. PSG and R. Madrid will battle over him.

Clegg

Just sell him Cleff. PSG and R. Madrid will battle over him.
If we could get a top player in January then I wouldn't be against selling him this month. But since that's highly unlikely we should just keep him. Sure he'd probably go for relatively little in the summer, but there's no point in damaging ourselves even further by letting him go now with no quality player lined up to fill the void.

K1LLER7

I watched him for about 3 minutes on youtube and I would start him against Swansea.
I would play David Moyes on the wing if I could.

Not expecting much tomorrow. Probably lose or draw. Everything to go down Valencia's wing and every cross to miss the United players. Repeat for 90 mins whilst conceding 2 goals.

Adnan will have to save us.

Lightning

Banned
This is so true. Arsenal Gaf want to view him as a saint, but I still think there are loads of managers who would have achieved something with us in the same amount of time and Fergie would have won the league with our squad.
You say this only because of Arsenal's priority to achieve financial stability over short term success. We sold a lot of great players and replaced them with inferior players. The Fabregas departure really hurt the most but Arsenal have set themselves up to be competitors again in a different market when Wenger first came in. For example the stability in our defense, no one expected us to have this, Mertesacker was supposed to be useless and not a PL defender after all.

Koscielny, Mertesacker, Sagna, Arteta, Flamini, Podolski, Monreal, Walcott, Giroud, Cazorla, Rosciky, Ramsey, Walcott all quality players that Wenger got quite cheaply and add in Szczesny, Gibbs, Wilshere who either came through the club or at a very young age were purchased and Wenger has assembled a very good team with little money at all, even Gnabry, Chamberlain and Zelalem coming through the ranks improving. Now we have the finance power to add the likes of Ozil and we're in good stead going forward. Wenger is not a saint, no one thinks he is, but to think we get rid of Wenger and get XXXXXXXXX in and he will spend 100m and solve all our issues is quite naive.

Not only would the board probably not allow that since Wenger clearly works to a budget. The only reason we get mocked about trophies is because we're Arsenal, the invincibles, rivals of Utd for years etc, and those years where Wenger took us to glory and brought us international success gave us the platform to get the stadium we currently have, purchased and maintained through a recession and the expectations from everyone because of what that man has done and has brought Arsenal fans at the bare minimum of CL football for well over a decade and for him to be compared to Brendon Rodgers is insulting even in recent years when you look at what he's been working with.

Arsenal fans are very ungrateful. Get a short term success manager and everything can turn to shit real fast. ALL our best players are young with the exception of Mertesacker who is pushing 30 I believe. Still has many good years in him though. Tremendous what Arsene has given our club. People need to sit back and realize how this could have gone with bad management.

Yes, that is exactly what we do. That's why we have Mesut Ozil rotting on the be-

oh wait, no. Think a bit before posting.
Hahahaha that was just a snide dig at Madrid. Morata is on the bench, hardly plays, give him to us and he can help us win something and get playing time and experience for you! Better than your bench!

K1LLER7

Moyes is desperately grappling for answers amid a run which would match the slump in October and November 1961, when United lost consecutively to Birmingham, Arsenal, Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday under Sir Matt Busby. Asked how he had turned around his last bad run of defeats – seven out of nine with Everton in October and November of 2009 – he said that making changes could be a flawed approach.

“I think you continue to do the things you’ve been doing because if you have to change it then you’re saying that you were doing the wrong things in the first place,” he said.
Considering he's broken record after record, No change is good.....Giggs and Valencia on the wings again tomorrow.

Barzul

I wonder what you'll say if Wenger wins us the league this season. I personally have a love/hate relationship with Wenger. He's very good at attracting players and has a good eye for talent, but his stubbornness in the transfer window is appalling, but I don't know for certain that another manager would have gotten us through the transition to the Emirates and not bailed. Was there really money all those years and he refused to spend it or did Gazidis and co lie to us? Wenger inevitable post-retirement book will certainly be an interesting read.

pulga

Banned
Hahahaha that was just a snide dig at Madrid. Morata is on the bench, hardly plays, give him to us and he can help us win something and get playing time and experience for you! Better than your bench!

Im actually beginning to open up to it, thanks in part to Jese's cracking form.

GorillaJu

Why does this thread turn into the Arsenal circle jerk looney bin whenever I'm waking up in the morning?

Also Lightning I never knew you were a girl. Changes everything, though now your FF fan girl-ism makes sense

Baki

You say this only because of Arsenal's priority to achieve financial stability over short term success. We sold a lot of great players and replaced them with inferior players. The Fabregas departure really hurt the most but Arsenal have set themselves up to be competitors again in a different market when Wenger first came in. For example the stability in our defense, no one expected us to have this, Mertesacker was supposed to be useless and not a PL defender after all.

Koscielny, Mertesacker, Sagna, Arteta, Flamini, Podolski, Monreal, Walcott, Giroud, Cazorla, Rosciky, Ramsey, Walcott all quality players that Wenger got quite cheaply and add in Szczesny, Gibbs, Wilshere who either came through the club or at a very young age were purchased and Wenger has assembled a very good team with little money at all, even Gnabry, Chamberlain and Zelalem coming through the ranks improving. Now we have the finance power to add the likes of Ozil and we're in good stead going forward. Wenger is not a saint, no one thinks he is, but to think we get rid of Wenger and get XXXXXXXXX in and he will spend 100m and solve all our issues is quite naive.

Not only would the board probably not allow that since Wenger clearly works to a budget. The only reason we get mocked about trophies is because we're Arsenal, the invincibles, rivals of Utd for years etc, and those years where Wenger took us to glory and brought us international success gave us the platform to get the stadium we currently have, purchased and maintained through a recession and the expectations from everyone because of what that man has done and has brought Arsenal fans at the bare minimum of CL football for well over a decade and for him to be compared to Brendon Rodgers is insulting even in recent years when you look at what he's been working with.

Arsenal fans are very ungrateful. Get a short term success manager and everything can turn to shit real fast. ALL our best players are young with the exception of Mertesacker who is pushing 30 I believe. Still has many good years in him though. Tremendous what Arsene has given our club. People need to sit back and realize how this could have gone with bad management.

I love you lightning. Perfect.

Edit: Personally I do not believe any funds were available until this year.

GQman2121

Banned
With the cramped holiday fixtures, having six days between games feels like an eternity. Then it's 8 days until United Round 2 at the Bridge.

Going to the Swansea game tomorrow, over 20 years of being a fan and its actually happening, United at Old Trafford. First time in Manchester too.

Why do I feel so depressed then, Moyes and Evra are sucking all the joy out of watching United play. Evra used to be my favorite player but wow, talk about awful...

Clegg

Hope you enjoy the game. Old Trafford isn't exactly the easiest of places to get to. Best leave early for the game.

K1LLER7

Going to the Swansea game tomorrow, over 20 years of being a fan and its actually happening, United at Old Trafford. First time in Manchester too.

Why do I feel so depressed then, Moyes and Evra are sucking all the joy out of watching United play. Evra used to be my favorite player but wow, talk about awful...
Hope you enjoy and we win :D

At least you get to see Adnan the GOAT play.

GorillaJu

There are specific players I'd like your lot to cripple. I'll make a list.

Pretty much no one bar De Gea, Jones and Rooney look like they're onboard the Moyes boys boat.

That John Barnes interview right at the beginning was so on point. The players know with a new man coming in that if they don't perform, it's on the manager's head, not theirs.

I wonder what you'll say if Wenger wins us the league this season. I personally have a love/hate relationship with Wenger. He's very good at attracting players and has a good eye for talent, but his stubbornness in the transfer window is appalling, but I don't know for certain that another manager would have gotten us through the transition to the Emirates and not bailed. Was there really money all those years and he refused to spend it or did Gazidis and co lie to us? Wenger inevitable post-retirement book will certainly be an interesting read.

If we win the league I hope he will retire. This is a good team and we should be capable of winning the title this season, but we still need to spend serious money if we want to dominate. It will be interesting to see if we can overcome our annual Feb mental collapse. Lets not forget that we have been in this position before just to see it all fall apart after a couple of bad games with stupid errors.

He has assembled a good squad, but don't act like Walcott and the OX were cheap, they were expensive teenagers. Also Mert was an international for one of the best sides of the last 10 years, he only struggled because he was bought at the last second and had not time to gel with his teammates and most players take a year to adjust to a new league. Also Wenger is not responsible for Wilshere and Gibbs and most of our other youth products.

But putting the squad aside, Wenger is just an average matchday manager

1. Tactics. Wenger has never been the greatest with tactics. It has always been settle on one formation and play it to death, regardless of if it is working or how our opponents set up. Everytime we went to OT Fergie would put an extra man in midfield to counter our formation and it is no surprise that we always play awful there. You would have thought Wenger would have learnt his lesson after the first few times Fergie did it, but never. Wenger has settled on a 1 striker formation for the last several years, despite all our success with him coming with errrr two strikers. You just have to look at our performances in recent years to realise that had he changed things up we would of had better results against some teams.

Wenger previously never changed tactics mid game when he sees that something is not going his way and as a result it would be more of the same and defeat. Stuart Pierce once said of Capello that at Half time fabio had said time to make two changes. Pierce said "why not give it 20 minutes?" and fabio replied along the lines of "good managers act when they see something is wrong and not waste time by delaying decisions." but be course we stick to the same formation and style we cant adjust and as i said it is just more of the same.

However, at least this season Wenger seems to have learnt a bit and tries to close out games and actually made a tactical change in our game against Swansea that saw us improve in the second half.

2. Striker stubbornness. Wenger has a policy of only playing one striker these days and as a result it has killed our bench. When Ade was healthy it was play him all the time, when RVP was healthy it was play him all the time, when Giroud is healthy it is play him all the time. He never gives our squad strikers a chance to show what they do, so when they come on for 10 minutes at the end of the game they always look off the pace and shocking and as a result fans get on their backs. It is why it was obvious when Giroud signed that it meant RVP was gone. they would never have started together and if RVP had stayed it would have meant Giroud would have been used primarily as a sub. Same thing will happen if we sign Costa. It basically means one will start and the other will be stuck on the bench and Costa will cost a fortune so we all know who it will be.

3. decision making. Wenger has made some awful decisions as manager. The two that really stuck out was playing a half fit Henry in the CL final at the expense of RVP and the other being not using Arshavin in an FA cup semi. Henry was injured for the final but Wenger still insisted on starting him and he had an awful game. Now I know it doesn't mean RVP would have produced and the red card did change the game, but Wenger shouldn't have been so worried about upsetting Henry and losing him to Barca in the summer. he should have had the guts to put out our best squad for that game and that would have not included the injured Henry.

The Arshavin case was shocking. Our big january signing and best player for those months was left to rot on the bench. Even more shocking was that it was a couple of days before the Champions league quarter finals in which he was cup tied. Wenger's excuse was he was worried that Arshavin wouldn't have coped and it wasn't like Hiddink was going to tell his team to go out and rough up his international captain. Arsenal of course proceeded to get beat in a pathetic peformance with a lack of energy and direct attacks that Arshavin would have provided.

Also one of the most shocking decisions was GALLAS as captain. A guy who cried his way out of Chelsea and was picked over Gilberto. A guy who forced King Kolo out of the team.

4. The transition to youth. This was inexcusable. Logic dictates that if you are going to transition to youth you at least keep experience players around to teach them the tricks and to over the experience of those who have won trophies eg. Man Utd and Barca. Wenger? Nope. Wenger got rid of everyone who had experience and his treatment of Gilberto was criminal. As a result it leads to point number 5

5. Mental mistakes. Our teams have been riddled with guys who have mentally not be up to the task. too many mistakes and easily pushed over. We had young guys who had nobody to look up to and then would make silly mistakes that would leave them in tatters. eg. Gibbs in the Champions League against United. Wenger has never done a good job of being a psychiatrist to the players and the amount of silly mistakes and last minute collapses have been way too many for any club with serious ambitions. that rests at Wengers door. it is his responsibility to get his players in the best frame of mind and to ensure that they know what they are doing at the end of games.

6. Training. It has always been said by former players including Lee Dixon that the team never trains defensively. It was rumoured that Bould and Wenger had a following out last season over this and that this season Bould has more control over training.
Of course, that is just rumours and I doubt we will ever know hat goes on at London Colony
This is just unacceptable. Too many players have no clue what they are doing defensively for us during matches and it is embarrassing.

At the end of the day Wenger is a good manager who has always made his living in the transfer market. If he strikes gold then we are good, if he buys flops then we struggle.

But every Arsenal fan is lying to themselves if they genuinely believe that the likes Of Fergie, Mourinho, Ancelotti
He was basically begging to come to Arsenal before going to PSG
and Conte would not have won something with the EXACT same team over the years.

Plus, every manager in the world would have loved to have had Theo Van Nasrigas starting for them.

edit: as for the bad management point. Of course we could get a bad manager next, but hopefully we get someone who knows what they are doing. At the end of the day it is pathetic for Arsenal fans to say "lets keep Wenger because our next manager might not be great". You deal with it. You forget nobody had a fucking clue who the four eyed frenchmen with the terrible hair was back in 96 when we got him. Big clubs make big decisions.

edit edit; Not even going to comment about transfers.

Lightning

Banned
Why does this thread turn into the Arsenal circle jerk looney bin whenever I'm waking up in the morning?

Also Lightning I never knew you were a girl. Changes everything, though now your FF fan girl-ism makes sense
I am not a girl. I am also not into FF fan girl-ism, I choose my username because I fell into the hype of FFXIII as this is a gaming forum and I'm actually here for that.

As for the circle jerk that's what the thread asks for by continually baiting us.

Shanks, that post is shit. Not bothering with that. My view is not going to change, neither is yours. We'll agree to disagree it seems but you better get used to him because Wenger will be around Arsenal until he retires.

I am not a girl. I am also not into FF fan girl-ism, I choose my username because I fell into the hype of FFXIII as this is a gaming forum and I'm actually here for that.

As for the circle jerk that's what the thread asks for by continually baiting us.

I am always up for a good circle jerk, always nice to see community spirit in this day and age

wedward

Beautiful post Lightning. Agree with just about everything.

Can we make this whole post the title of the next thread?

Beautiful post Lightning. Agree with just about everything.

Can we make this whole post the title of the next thread?

The irony of this coming from an Arsenal fan.

Exactly. the state of denial amongst some of my fellow Arsenal gaffers is hilarious.

It is the job of the manager to try and ensure the that his team are well prepared and can deal with any situations that arise.

We have flat out self destructed several times since 2006 and the blame rests with Wenger.

It was amazing when Eduardo broke his leg that the whole team just vanished for the rest of the season. Wenger had picked a captain who sat on the pitch at the end of the game like a little baby and that one game effected the rest of the season. We were sitting in first place and it was not like Eduardo was dead. We should have picked ourselves up straight away, but Wenger was busy being emotional himself.

This has nothing to do with the board, financial power, or transfers. It was just flat out bad management by Wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom