• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Media seem to have the knives out for Moyes at the moment. Think there will be an awful lot of outside pressure on him if he loses today.

There is no way they will lose to Swansea at home again. It just can't happen.

Feorax

Everyone's favourite poster is being a right tit in a certain OT thread containing the words Red Tide. Judgmental, shaming, unwilling to accept differing opinions. Hopefully their band of followers don't get in on the act and do their usual act of baiting their victim into saying something apparently bannable

It's so much easier to just use the ignore function and/or walk away. There are posters who offer very little other than trolling and baiting, so why give them the time of day? Engaging them is a hiding to nothing.

There is no way they will lose to Swansea at home again. It just can't happen.

Nothing is sacred anymore. Nothing.

WJD

Everyone's favourite poster is being a right tit in a certain OT thread containing the words Red Tide. Judgmental, shaming, unwilling to accept differing opinions. Hopefully their band of followers don't get in on the act and do their usual act of baiting their victim into saying something apparently bannable

Yep, just noticed that myself.

jamie jackson ‏@GuardianJamieJ 25m

For those asking, Moyes/Woodward are trying to get top midfielder in this window despite lowering of expectations...

Was told a lot of work done by Woodward on targets but not overly hopeful this Jan.Best guess tho is I'd not be surprised if get someone

I am, of course, encouraged.

pappe

If we lose today as well Moyes HAS to be sacked. No questions asked.

jamie jackson ‏@GuardianJamieJ 25m

For those asking, Moyes/Woodward are trying to get top midfielder in this window despite lowering of expectations...

Was told a lot of work done by Woodward on targets but not overly hopeful this Jan.Best guess tho is I'd not be surprised if get someone
I am, of course, encouraged.

Osman signing coming in...

bobito

Banned
Yeah, and then some dude decided to do a thread about man bags. OT really went to shit fast.

Linius pls come back at me when ot isn't made up of

Are you from a "naked family?

and

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Even if Moyes does utter shit for the rest of the season they should stick with him till the Summer. Then next season a new manager will be judged up against Moyes instead of Fergie and will be able to do his job with far less pressure.

This situation reminds me of the Batman films. There is no way the next film will live up to Nolans trilogy so instead of trying to make another great one that will fail they are making a shit one with Superman and Ben Affleck. Then when they do try and make a decent film everyone will be like "well it was better then that last piece of shit"

dc89

If we lose today as well Moyes HAS to be sacked. No questions asked.

Osman signing coming in...

I'm not calling anyone out when I say this.
But this kind of attitude is everything United fans claimed not to be.

When City sacked managers twice a season we were called stupid (true) and always reminded that Rome wasn't built in a day.

"United would never do this."

Manager

Even if Moyes does utter shit for the rest of the season they should stick with him till the Summer. Then next season a new manager will be judged up against Moyes instead of Fergie and will be able to do his job with far less pressure.

This situation reminds me of the Batman films. There is no way the next film will live up to Nolans trilogy so instead of trying to make another great one that will fail they are making a shit one with Superman and Ben Affleck. Then when they do try and make a decent film everyone will be like "well it was better then that last piece of shit"

He would then have 5 years left on his contract, does anyone know how that works with payment?

Sometime you hear about managers being paid by the old club until they find a new job. Other still get paid until contract end and I think City paid 3 different managers (Sven, Hughes and Mancini) for a while. Other say you get paid for one more year after the sacking. Which one is the most common?

bobito

Banned
Did you just diss Persona 4? And FVII? And FFX?

Not only is farid foaming from the mouth, I'm leaking from the bunghole.

Wesley pls

I played a good 15 hours of tales of symphonia when I was younger.

People promised me it would get better, but it remained the same terrible plot throughout.

I gave ffx 2 hours of my life, it didn't seem to be going anywhere so I dropped. It was mainly tales that killed jrpg's for me though

That and whenever you go into a jrpg thread there is always a anime girl who looks like she is 11 and is wearing little to no clothing. It always just seems embarrassing. I imagine there must be some good stuff amongst the crap, but the level of weird shit you would never be seen dead playing/watching is too high for me.

When City sacked managers twice a season we were called stupid (true) and always reminded that Rome wasn't built in a day.

The 'don't sack managers' thing was always a semi-fallacy tbh, as they hadn't been in a position where the question needed to be asked for 20 years.

The fans themselves (particularly those who hadn't lived through anything close to tough times, those aged 0-30, ie the internet-using crowd) assumed that they'd have near-infinite patience, but it was never based on anything concrete.

Fuck knows what will happen. You can't keep a clearly failing manager and leave yourself on a downward spiral ala Hodgson just to keep your reputation of being patient (not that I think Moyes is at that point)

bobito

Banned
He would then have 5 years left on his contract, does anyone know how that works with payment?

Sometime you hear about managers being paid by the old club until they find a new job. Other still get paid until contract end and I think City paid 3 different managers (Sven, Hughes and Mancini) for a while. Other say you get paid for one more year after the sacking. Which one is the most common?

Never heard of this

Manager

The 'don't sack managers' thing was always a semi-fallacy tbh, as they hadn't been in a position where the question needed to be asked for 20 years.

The fans themselves (particularly those who hadn't lived through anything close to tough times, those aged 0-30, ie the internet-using crowd) assumed that they'd have near-infinite patience, but it was never based on anything concrete.

Fuck knows what will happen. You can't keep a clearly failing manager and leave yourself on a downward spiral ala Hodgson just to keep your reputation of being patient (not that I think Moyes is at that point)

When they signed him on a 6-year-contract there was no turning back. They tied him up for stability and trust, I mean I doubt he'd ever leave after contract end and go to a club like City or Chelsea if he would be succesful at United. Then the other worry would be a club like Real or Barcelona and I'm not even going to imagine Moyes tactics there.

Manager

Never heard of this

I think it was the case with Mancini, he got an extension the year before getting fired and people questioned that he got an extension in the first place. People defended it with that "when he was fired he'd still only get one year extra payment and that's it", a clause in the contract I guess.

I think I've heard it with other people too and that this is the reason why some managers take one year brake when they are fired. They have one year guaranteed payment. But I don't have any sources, just old memory.

sohois

When they signed him on a 6-year-contract there was no turning back. They tied him up for stability and trust, I mean I doubt he'd ever go to a club like City or Chelsea if he would be succesful at United. Then the other worry would be a club like Real or Barcelona and I'm not even going to imagine Moyes tactics there.

Giving him a shorter contract would just be a signal that they were expecting him to be unable to follow Ferguson. As you say, the long term contract signifies a trust in Moyes to be able to take over the squad.

I don't think that United will worry about the length of the contract if it came to a sacking, however. They have more than enough revenue to do it, even if the Glazers appear loathe to sanction unnecessary spending.

bobito

Banned
I think it was the case with Mancini, he got an extension the year before getting fired and people questioned that he got an extension in the first place. People defended it with that "when he was fired he'd still only get one year extra payment and that's it", a clause in the contract I guess.

I think I've heard it with other people too and that this is the reason why some managers take one year brake when they are fired. They have one year guaranteed payment. But I don't have any sources, just old memory.

It probably depends on the individual contract. If I remember that was why Di Matteo hasn't taken a job. As long as he doesn't Chelsea keep paying him. This deal runs longer then a year too.

I am talking about the future. It is all over now for you. Selling Gotze and keeping Lew just do show you are a "big club". Bayern are chucking serious money around now and no one will ever be anle to touch them again.

Also having a go at Arsenal is hilarious. Much harder league with 5~6 excellent clubs. Germany has Bayern and the rest of the field. Bayern and Dortmund would both struggle if they were in the PL
the spanish duo too
and find it is not as simple juggling all their commitments, especially not having a winter break and playing 4 more games a season

It's all over for us? Hahahaha. You can say a few things are over, like United or BVB winning the league this season or Arsenal's CL run. But we are completely fucked from now on? Come the fuck on.

I'm having a go at Arsenal because you post strange as fuck shit and don't even get it. "I could never accept anything less then success at Arsenal" and then making up excuses "bu bu but our league is so hard. pls understand" when someone tells you that there was no success at Arsenal.

If I was a chairman looking for a manager, I'd be instantly put off by somebody who voluntarily removed themselves from the curcuit in favour of recieving unearned wages from a former employer. What does that say about their motivation and priorities?

Mastadon

Banned
It's all over for us? Hahahaha. You can say a few things are over, like United or BVB winning the league this season or Arsenal's CL run. But we are completely fucked from now on? Come the fuck on.

I'm having a go at Arsenal because you post strange as fuck shit and don't even get it. "I could never accept anything less then success at Arsenal" and then making up excuses "bu bu but our league is so hard. pls understand" when someone tells you that there was no success at Arsenal.

Especially when the quality of the Premier League has been so shit in recent years.

Manager

It probably depends on the individual contract. If I remember that was why Di Matteo hasn't taken a job. As long as he doesn't Chelsea keep paying him. This deal runs longer then a year too.

I guess that is "Sometime you hear about managers being paid by the old club until they find a new job." The weird thing with that is that some managers maybe never get paid as much as their old club, so they don't take a new job offer since it could mean a for example 50% reduced salary.

Seems like Chelsea are in that situation:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/13/chelsea-still-paying-roberto-di-matteo-130000-week

Chelsea 'still paying ex-manager Roberto Di Matteo £130,000-a-week'
• Italian reportedly on full pay 12 months after sacking

Roberto Di Matteo is still being paid £130,000-a-week by Chelsea as the club continues to foot the bill for his sacking 12 months ago, according to reports.

The former manager did not agree a pay-off settlement when he was axed as manager last season, and the Daily Mail reports the Italian will continue to be paid in full until June 2014 unless he takes another job before then.

That, however, seems unlikely given Di Matteo has reportedly turned down several offers both in the Premier League and from abroad since his departure, while there are few clubs who could match the lucrative £6.76m annual salary he was earning at Stamford Bridge.

Di Matteo was linked with the Sunderland job before Gus Poyet's appointment and he is seen as a possible replacement for Martin Jol at Fulham should the Dutch manager leave Craven Cottage.

So Di Matteo is paid completely until his 2 year contract ends, or until he finds a new club.

Giving him a shorter contract would just be a signal that they were expecting him to be unable to follow Ferguson. As you say, the long term contract signifies a trust in Moyes to be able to take over the squad.

I don't think that United will worry about the length of the contract if it came to a sacking, however. They have more than enough revenue to do it, even if the Glazers appear loathe to sanction unnecessary spending.

I think the pain is just that you pay both the current manager and the old one, gotta sting whoever you are. Specially for 5 years. But yeah, to United I guess it wouldn't matter much, specially as Moyes doesn't have that mad wages.

WJD

Fortunately he's not representative of the vast majority of the fanbase.

I don't blame Di Matteo for sitting on his arse and taking the money. He earnt it when he won the Champions League. Funnily enough when Chelsea were financially unstable he actually took payment of shares instead of money to help the club out when injury forced him to retire early.

Manager

Pellegrini said btw that he is happy at City and could imagine staying longer than the 3 year contract if he got such an offer. Happy for that, I thought that maybe he took a shorter contract because he was unsure how long he wanted to continue his career.

You kind of get the sneaky feeling that City are after a young manager though who can be there for a long time, a Pep or Ferguson. They're trying to build "the City way" and need stability. On the other hand, I guess Pellegrini can work for another 10 years until he's 70 or so.

I wonder how long Txiki and Soriano are going to stay, it seems like they're completely running the show with Marwood in the background. If they leave I have no idea who's experienced enough with City to take over and build on to what they've created. City have no Cruyff or Ferguson who can carry on the ideas, they have Mike Summerbee.

0ePZqA2.jpg

pappe

It's not so much on Moyes as on players whose testosterone and dignity levels shot down to the level of OT posters as soon as SAF bailed.

The reason why i want Moyes gone is because he is just not right for the club. The decisions, the tactics, the stubbornness to prevail with certain players, etc. is just not suitable for a manager of a club of the stature of United. SAF managed it. but SAF is SAF.

I would rather he be sacked now, get a new manager in and give him time to build his own squad and get his own players and one who has the to pull to attract the top players and brings in his new tactics and bring in some freshness. We dont need to replace SAF. We can never do that. We need to bring in a personality similar to him and one who commands respect from day 1.

Moyes spending millions upon millions and getting players but not be able to back them with the tactics suitable to their playstyle is not something i want. I would rather we ditch him and get someone who will then have the second half of this season to get to know the players and then the summer window to get the players he actually wants to get and bring in his new playstyle he wants.

Basically what i am saying is I have lost all hope on Moyes and we need to cut our losses and go for a replacement who is tactically sound and has his own philosophies now. Moyes is a dead end.

HE gets it.

GorillaJu

Pellegrini said btw that he is happy at City and could imagine staying longer than the 3 year contract if he got such an offer. Happy for that, I thought that maybe he took a shorter contract because he was unsure how long he wanted to continue his career.

You kind of get the sneaky feeling that City are after a young manager though who can be there for a long time, a Pep or Ferguson. They're trying to build "the City way" and need stability. On the other hand, I guess Pellegrini can work for another 10 years until he's 70 or so.

I wonder how long Txiki and Soriano are going to stay, it seems like they're completely running the show with Marwood in the background. If they leave I have no idea who's experienced enough with City to take over and build on to what they've created. City have no Cruyff or Ferguson who can carry on the ideas, they have Mike Summerbee.

Well, City and Spurs both went after Rodgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom