• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

How is it ironic?

We will choke in April.
I'm basically echoing what Shanks has just written.

Arsenal have choked a lot of times under Wenger, there is no evidence that Liverpool will choke around March or even at all under Rodgers. I remember Arsenal fans declaring Liverpool choking around November.

We've suffered a few blips at the hardest grounds in the league last month, only real disappointing results were Hull away and Southampton at home.

GHG

Gold Member
If we win the league I hope he will retire. This is a good team and we should be capable of winning the title this season, but we still need to spend serious money if we want to dominate. It will be interesting to see if we can overcome our annual Feb mental collapse. Lets not forget that we have been in this position before just to see it all fall apart after a couple of bad games with stupid errors.

He has assembled a good squad, but don't act like Walcott and the OX were cheap, they were expensive teenagers. Also Mert was an international for one of the best sides of the last 10 years, he only struggled because he was bought at the last second and had not time to gel with his teammates and most players take a year to adjust to a new league. Also Wenger is not responsible for Wilshere and Gibbs and most of our other youth products.

But putting the squad aside, Wenger is just an average matchday manager

1. Tactics. Wenger has never been the greatest with tactics. It has always been settle on one formation and play it to death, regardless of if it is working or how our opponents set up. Everytime we went to OT Fergie would put an extra man in midfield to counter our formation and it is no surprise that we always play awful there. You would have thought Wenger would have learnt his lesson after the first few times Fergie did it, but never. Wenger has settled on a 1 striker formation for the last several years, despite all our success with him coming with errrr two strikers. You just have to look at our performances in recent years to realise that had he changed things up we would of had better results against some teams.

Wenger previously never changed tactics mid game when he sees that something is not going his way and as a result it would be more of the same and defeat. Stuart Pierce once said of Capello that at Half time fabio had said time to make two changes. Pierce said "why not give it 20 minutes?" and fabio replied along the lines of "good managers act when they see something is wrong and not waste time by delaying decisions." but be course we stick to the same formation and style we cant adjust and as i said it is just more of the same.

However, at least this season Wenger seems to have learnt a bit and tries to close out games and actually made a tactical change in our game against Swansea that saw us improve in the second half.

2. Striker stubbornness. Wenger has a policy of only playing one striker these days and as a result it has killed our bench. When Ade was healthy it was play him all the time, when RVP was healthy it was play him all the time, when Giroud is healthy it is play him all the time. He never gives our squad strikers a chance to show what they do, so when they come on for 10 minutes at the end of the game they always look off the pace and shocking and as a result fans get on their backs. It is why it was obvious when Giroud signed that it meant RVP was gone. they would never have started together and if RVP had stayed it would have meant Giroud would have been used primarily as a sub. Same thing will happen if we sign Costa. It basically means one will start and the other will be stuck on the bench and Costa will cost a fortune so we all know who it will be.

3. decision making. Wenger has made some awful decisions as manager. The two that really stuck out was playing a half fit Henry in the CL final at the expense of RVP and the other being not using Arshavin in an FA cup semi. Henry was injured for the final but Wenger still insisted on starting him and he had an awful game. Now I know it doesn't mean RVP would have produced and the red card did change the game, but Wenger shouldn't have been so worried about upsetting Henry and losing him to Barca in the summer. he should have had the guts to put out our best squad for that game and that would have not included the injured Henry.

The Arshavin case was shocking. Our big january signing and best player for those months was left to rot on the bench. Even more shocking was that it was a couple of days before the Champions league quarter finals in which he was cup tied. Wenger's excuse was he was worried that Arshavin wouldn't have coped and it wasn't like Hiddink was going to tell his team to go out and rough up his international captain. Arsenal of course proceeded to get beat in a pathetic peformance with a lack of energy and direct attacks that Arshavin would have provided.

Also one of the most shocking decisions was GALLAS as captain. A guy who cried his way out of Chelsea and was picked over Gilberto. A guy who forced King Kolo out of the team.

4. The transition to youth. This was inexcusable. Logic dictates that if you are going to transition to youth you at least keep experience players around to teach them the tricks and to over the experience of those who have won trophies eg. Man Utd and Barca. Wenger? Nope. Wenger got rid of everyone who had experience and his treatment of Gilberto was criminal. As a result it leads to point number 5

5. Mental mistakes. Our teams have been riddled with guys who have mentally not be up to the task. too many mistakes and easily pushed over. We had young guys who had nobody to look up to and then would make silly mistakes that would leave them in tatters. eg. Gibbs in the Champions League against United. Wenger has never done a good job of being a psychiatrist to the players and the amount of silly mistakes and last minute collapses have been way too many for any club with serious ambitions. that rests at Wengers door. it is his responsibility to get his players in the best frame of mind and to ensure that they know what they are doing at the end of games.

6. Training. It has always been said by former players including Lee Dixon that the team never trains defensively. It was rumoured that Bould and Wenger had a following out last season over this and that this season Bould has more control over training.
Of course, that is just rumours and I doubt we will ever know hat goes on at London Colony
This is just unacceptable. Too many players have no clue what they are doing defensively for us during matches and it is embarrassing.

At the end of the day Wenger is a good manager who has always made his living in the transfer market. If he strikes gold then we are good, if he buys flops then we struggle.

But every Arsenal fan is lying to themselves if they genuinely believe that the likes Of Fergie, Mourinho, Ancelotti
He was basically begging to come to Arsenal before going to PSG
and Conte would not have won something with the EXACT same team over the years.

Plus, every manager in the world would have loved to have had Theo Van Nasrigas starting for them.

edit: as for the bad management point. Of course we could get a bad manager next, but hopefully we get someone who knows what they are doing. At the end of the day it is pathetic for Arsenal fans to say "lets keep Wenger because our next manager might not be great". You deal with it. You forget nobody had a fucking clue who the four eyed frenchmen with the terrible hair was back in 96 when we got him. Big clubs make big decisions.

edit edit; Not even going to comment about transfers.

So much rubbish here but the biggest load is regarding Henry in the CL final.

He had one of his best games in an Arsenal shirt for us. He ran himself into the ground for us in that game and was our only outlet when we had 10 men. Oh, and he assisted the only goal we scored in the game too.

Do not even try and tell me that RVP in 2006 could put in a performance like this:

http://vbox7.com/play:999a193120

Hell, even at the peak of his powers RVP isn't capable of some of the runs Henry did in that game. He single handedly terrorised their defence and Puyol said after that it was the moment they all decided that they HAD to sign the man.

So much rubbish here but the biggest load is regarding Henry in the CL final.

He had one of his best games in an Arsenal shirt for us. He ran himself into the ground for us in that game and was our only outlet when we had 10 men. Oh, and he assisted the only goal we scored in the game too.

Do not even try and tell me that RVP in 2006 could put in a performance like this:

http://vbox7.com/play:999a193120

Hell, even at the peak of his powers RVP isn't capable of some of the runs Henry did in that game. He single handed lay terrorised their defence and Puyol said after that it was the moment they all decided that they HAD to sign the man.

I already said that there would have been no evidence RVP would have got us a result. But Henry was injured and not as effective as he normally was.

One of his best games in an Arsenal shirt??? haha, sure he worked his arse off, but he was not his normal self that game and he looked off the boil.

Wenger played him simply out of fear of losing him and because he did not trust RVP. Henry was arguably the best player in the world that year, but RVP was healthy and should have been given a chance. There was always the fear that Henry could have aggravated his injury in the game and we would of had to make a substitution.
Luckily that didn't happen.

faridmon

Everton got £5.5m for Jelavic that could rise to £7.5m with add-ons (according the the Echo).

Fucking el', that's a good deal.

I am not gonna lie, I was really happy if we have gotten 2 million for him. I honestly couldn't believe it when I see that we actually sold him on profit (We bought him for 5M)

Bloody hell, if anything, we might as well be the best team that can negotiate deals within the PL. A player that haven't scored for so long in the league for that amount? We are having a laugh.

I am a happy man. NOw if we could 2 Million for Heitenga, that would make my January!

Barzul

I already said that there would have been no evidence RVP would have got us a result. But Henry was injured and not as effective as he normally was.

One of his best games in an Arsenal shirt??? haha, sure he worked his arse off, but he was not his normal self that game and he looked off the boil.

Wenger played him simply out of fear of losing him and because he did not trust RVP. Henry was arguably the best player in the world that year, but RVP was healthy and should have been given a chance. There was always the fear that Henry could have aggravated his injury in the game and we would of had to make a substitution.
Luckily that didn't happen.

This is an utterly ridiculous sentiment. Wenger played him because he was our best striker. In a CL final, last game of the season. All risks had to be taken. Playing RVP like you're suggesting would have been tantamount to throwing the game to Barca.

This is an utterly ridiculous sentiment. Wenger played him because he was our best striker. In a CL final, last game of the season. All risks had to be taken. Playing RVP like you're suggesting would have been tantamount to throwing the game to Barca.

It was the beginning of Wengers one striker at all costs policy. It also said I don't have faith in RVP and that an injured guy is better. Why buy players if you dont faith to use them???

Barzul

Also this mental issues stemmed from Fabregas as captain. The mental resilience this team showed in RVP 's last season with us and in the whole of 2013 tell me those issues are mostly over. We could have easily collapsed after losing 6-3 to City we didn't. If we fail to win this title it will be because of the quality of our squad vs the competition or injuries not mental issues. I'll attack Wenger based on his performance in the transfer market and his failure to make key tactical changes earlier in games but the rest is just meh. Also regarding our new found defensive solidity Wenger still was ultimately for his appointment of Bould which tells me Wenger is willing to accept that he needs help. Could've easily had another yesman in that position.

wedward

It was the beginning of Wengers one striker at all costs policy. It also said I don't have faith in RVP and that an injured guy is better. Why buy players if you dont faith to use them???

Great idea Shanks. Lets play two strikers against Barca. Jesus.

It didn't say I don't have faith in you. It said I'm not going to play you over the greatest striker in epl history.

Barzul

This was the CL final. If Henry was fit enough to run and score, he'd start over RVP anyday. I think you're just looking for an argument to fit your narrative here.

I dont think Fabregas as captain was to blame. . Captains are mainly symbolic, and it is Wengers job to enaure all players are prepared for the match. However, if you have a captain who completely self destructa like Gallas, that is a different issue.

Bould was a great appointment and clearlt was a sign Wenger realised he needed someone with some balls in the backroom to bark orders. Even then the rumours, and I know they are only rumours, are that it took Bould a year to convince Wenger to give gim more control on training.

The main reason why I rhink qe seem strongrr this year is because Mert seems the defacto leader of this team. God knows where we would be without him.

Barzul

I dont think Fabregas as captain was to blame. . Captains are mainly symbolic, and it is Wengers job to enaure all players are prepared for the match. However, if you have a captain who completely self destructa like Gallas, that is a different issue.

Bould was a great appointment and clearlt was a sign Wenger realised he needed someone with some balls in the backroom to bark orders. Even then the rumours, and I know they are only rumours, are that it took Bould a year to convince Wenger to give gim more control on training.

The main reason why I rhink qe seem strongrr this year is because Mert seems the defacto leader of this team. God knows where we would be without him.

Mert is captain in all but official capacity. He wears the armband. I think you're underestimating the effect a captain can have when he's also your best player. When ever Fabregas had a bad game we almost always performed like shit. It's like it just infects the whole team.

faridmon

The Arsenalism in the last page or so is quite strong. I feel woozy all of a sudden.
Where the hell are the Everton fans at?
Useless bunch...

Great idea Shanks. Lets play two strikers against Barca. Jesus.

It didn't say I don't have faith in you. It said I'm not going to play you over the greatest striker in epl history.

I am guessing you don't even know what our formation was for that game.

This was the CL final. If Henry was fit enough to run and score, he'd start over RVP anyday. I think you're just looking for an argument to fit your narrative here.

Fair enough, we will never know how the game would have finished had RVP started.

I just think it sends the wrong message to the rest of the team when tou rely on one man. Just like Brazil playing Ronaldo in 98
and waan't Meaai half fit against Bayern?

Mert is captain in all but official capacity. He wears the armband. I think you're underestimating the effect a captain can have when he's also your best player. When ever Fabregas had a bad game we almost always performed like shit. It's like it just infects the whole team.

Then that shows a mentally weak team.

Scum

--------------- RVP --------- Rooney -----------
---------------------- Adnan ---------------------
----- Kagawa --- Carrick --- Pjanic ------
Baines ---- Jones ---- Evans ---- Rafael

GQman2121

Banned

I agree.....

SkDPkxQ.png

wedward

I am guessing you don't even know what our formation was for that game.

Fair enough, we will never know how the game would have finished had RVP started.

I just think it sends the wrong message to the rest of the team when tou rely on one man. Just like Brazil playing Ronaldo in 98
and waan't Meaai half fit against Bayern?

4-4-2, but if you think playing with Ljunberg up front is anything like playing with RVP you are insane.

How are they relying on one man?

faridmon

In all seriousness, I don't have PS4, but from my experience with Sony gaming devices (Such as PS2, PSP, Ps3, etc...) is that, they are actually quite resistant to some amount of water absorption. I have actually dropped my PSP in a mud and few mins later, it worked like a charm.

I think you should be fine.

Something I find mildly amusing is the way Arsenal-Gaf o on about the 2-0 like it will go on to essentially represent our seasons in a nutshell, while City-Gaf beat the pair of us and move on, look ahead to upcoming challenges. Its like they actually realise that 3 points are just 3 points, even more so in games they're expected to win.

It was a particularly good performance by yous lot, and a particularly abject one by us, but it didn't exactly lead to us hitting a worrying nosedive or you suddenly twatting competitors aside.

FootballFan

Catching up on thread. What is this about lightning being a girl?

Footygaf meetup in NZ. Pls.

Ill keep reading so I understand what's happening first.

Lightning

Banned
Something I find mildly amusing is the way Arsenal-Gaf o on about the 2-0 like it will go on to essentially represent our seasons in a nutshell, while City-Gaf beat the pair of us and move on, look ahead to upcoming challenges. Its like they actually realise that 3 points are just 3 points, even more so in games they're expected to win.

It was a particularly good performance by yous lot, and a particularly abject one by us, but it didn't exactly lead to us hitting a worrying nosedive or you suddenly twatting competitors aside.
I think it's more that Liverpool fans and Arsenal fans are constantly ribbing one another so irrelevant things constantly get brought up during the mud slinging. The animosity between Arsenal and Liverpool fans is mind bogglingly stupid.

City fans don't care because DC and Meier are not those type of users who just want to needle other fans all the time.

I think it's more that Liverpool fans and Arsenal fans are constantly ribbing one another so irrelevant things constantly get brought up during the mud slinging. The animosity between Arsenal and Liverpool fans is mind bogglingly stupid.

City fans don't care because DC and Meier are not those type of users who just want to needle other fans all the time.

Good point. I quite enjoy the arguments until the inevitable moment where someone says something so unironically stupid and presumptious, it makes their entire fanbase look stupid :p

Genuinely a bit worried about Stoke, fucking hate going to the Britannia. We can forget about using Sterling's pace or long, incisive passes. Gonna have to brute force it with Suarez's one-man battering ram act and Henderson's intensity I think. Throw in a couple of Gerrard set pieces and we have a decent chance.

Gotta keep the crowd quiet though. Last season we gave them an early equaliser, next thing we knew the crowd were up and their entire team was spriniting about for 80 minutes like a bunch of BNP-looking Mo Farahs

Are Liverpool fans really saying face toucher is actually a better manager and achieved more than Arsene??

I'm certainly not

Wenger is a weird one though

Second best manager of the PL era, undoubtedly. Oversaw and built his team's rise to possibly being the best team of the PL era. Then meekly oversaw the decline, downgrades and eventual decimation of said team, with nearly every single position being filled by a player weaker than his counterpart in the Unbeatables team.

Fair enough, he's been financially constrained throughout, but Arsenal should have put up much more of a fight to stem the tide of inevitable decline.

With this team, he's doing okay (assuming you don't win the league or something this season). With his ablity and intelligence, he should have built a better squad.

Simulatenously the best and most disappointing manager in the league, looking at it neutrally imo

edit: Does anyone else get a little annoyed with the constant dismissal of football on GiantBomb? They're talking about the future of 4k, and say that Sony mention the possibilities for its use at the World Cup and potential for growth from it. And they just snigger as though nobody really gives a shit about watching football and there won't be hundreds of millions of live viewers worldwide, when there was an oppurtunity for an interesting conversation. I'm sure 99% of people would rather listen to that than Drew droning on about going to the gym :p

Salazar

edit: Does anyone else get a little annoyed with the constant dismissal of football on GiantBomb?

You listen to video game podcasts and expect not to hear dumb shit being spoken ?

3:30 am kickoff for Utd-Swansea. Might set me alarm and try to get in a few hours sleep beforehand.

Predictions for today:

Hull v Chelsea Kick-off: 12:45
Chelsea are having a decent run and their high pressing tactics will stop Huddlestone getting too much time on the ball. 0-2

Cardiff v West Ham Kick-off: 15:00
West Ham are the worst team in the league. That performance against Man City this week was utterly shambolic and they need a reaction today or Allerdyce should walk. Maybe they will get it but I think it will be a comfortable win for Cardiff. 3-1

Everton v Norwich Kick-off: 15:00
Lukaku will be on beast mode today. 3-0

Fulham v Sunderland Kick-off: 15:00
Should be a decent game and I fancy Sunderland to get a result. It could depend on who gets a player sent off first 1-2

Southampton v West Brom Kick-off: 15:00
Southampton are in a bit of a decline and their defence has been leaking goals. But West Brom are not good enough to win at St Marys. 1-1

Spurs v Crystal Palace Kick-off: 15:00
Spurs haven't been great at home and Pulis' tactics pretty much singlehandedly destroyed the 4-4-2 system with Stoke. 0-0.

Man Utd v Swansea Kick-off: 17:30
Man Utd surely have to win this. 2-0

edit: Does anyone else get a little annoyed with the constant dismissal of football on GiantBomb? They're talking about the future of 4k, and say that Sony mention the possibilities for its use at the World Cup and potential for growth from it. And they just snigger as though nobody really gives a shit about watching football and there won't be hundreds of millions of live viewers worldwide, when there was an oppurtunity for an interesting conversation. I'm sure 99% of people would rather listen to that than Drew droning on about going to the gym :p[/QUOTE]

The world cup in 4k will be more important than gaming or movies in 4k. World Cup 2006 was the reason why HDTVs really started to take off.

I still feel the reason 3d never took off was because football fans did not think it was worth the investment.

Manager

Cardiff v West Ham Kick-off: 15:00
West Ham are the worst team in the league. That performance against Man City this week was utterly shambolic and they need a reaction today or Allerdyce should walk. Maybe they will get it but I think it will be a comfortable win for Cardiff. 3-1

Wonder how long it will take Ole to put through his tactics.

I saw an interview with him by Scandinavian media last month, he almost teared up when he talked about United and it was obvious he follow them every day. Said he talks a lot to Ferguson too, I think.

Feorax

Media seem to have the knives out for Moyes at the moment. Think there will be an awful lot of outside pressure on him if he loses today.

Everyone's favourite poster is being a right tit in a certain OT thread containing the words Red Tide. Judgmental, shaming, unwilling to accept differing opinions. Hopefully their band of followers don't get in on the act and do their usual act of baiting their victim into saying something apparently bannable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom