• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

wow, had no idea Lightning was a woman.

how much do you weight?

YscEhZQa.gif

GorillaJu

That was when Mancini looked like he was going to lose the title in 2012, until they suddenly won it. Pellegrini was doing great and Malaga and probably didn't want to leave them at that moment, taking them to CL. He said no to PL teams before, like Liverpool.

Txiki and Soriano talk a lot about how they want the manager to support their philosophy of attacking football (but with the manager's personal twist), it was the same when they picked the New York City manager. Rodgers seem to share that philosophy.

Txiki met Pellegrini's agent in around January so I doubt there were many other candidates at that time.

As far as I understand, Pellegrini didn't say no, it was the idiotic boardroom at Liverpool that decided to go for Hodgson instead.

rvy

Banned
I'm guessing our Overlord of Impeccable Morality swept that under the carpet :p

Can you elaborate on the story pls, first I've heard of it

I know that an admin from insertcoin was/is a Famitsu subscriber and they had this issue that included the demo version of Biohazard 4. This was in September of '04.
He made a thread posting impressions, we begged him for videos and he provided. I don't remember if someone from NeoGAF picked up on it or someone from insertcoin had an account here.

Something along those lines.

sohois

As far as I understand, Pellegrini didn't say no, it was the idiotic boardroom at Liverpool that decided to go for Hodgson instead.

From what I believe, Kenny had scheduled a second round of talks with Pellegrini when Purslow swooped in to hire Hodgson. Maybe he would have declined but all signs point to him being quite willing to have taken the position.

It's all over for us? Hahahaha. You can say a few things are over, like United or BVB winning the league this season or Arsenal's CL run. But we are completely fucked from now on? Come the fuck on.

I'm having a go at Arsenal because you post strange as fuck shit and don't even get it. "I could never accept anything less then success at Arsenal" and then making up excuses "bu bu but our league is so hard. pls understand" when someone tells you that there was no success at Arsenal.

I don't accept our failures, but someone from the outside can't really comment. PL and Serie A are harder leagues. Especially the PL schedule wise.

You also lost your two best players: RvP and Cesc. A striker and a CAM, just like Dortmund. And yet you're doing better than before. Players come and go, no player is bigger than the club.

Much harder league with 5-6 excellent clubs? Before this season, City was a joke club, United couldn't even get out of group stage in CL, Liverpool was complete shit for years, Arsenal was Arsenal, only team always on a good level was Chelsea. So I don't know what you're talking

Get the fuck out. Germany has two teams at any given time.

As for Arsenal, lets judge at the end of the season, plus we did get Ozil

Yep. Fairly sure that similar to Benitez post-Kenny, the Pellegrini link was just common sense rather than anything concrete. I really wanted Pellegrini at the time as well. Remember it becoming obvious quite quickly that H+G weren't interested in him, and people justifying it as 'there's never been a successful South Americal manager in England.' Ah well, que sera sera and all that shite.

edit: sohois seems to disagree. Hopefully I'm right, as choosing Hodge over Pellegrini after genuine consideration is gross negligence (to be expected from those cowboys, but still)

GorillaJu

Poor Tito he looked so sick at the Barca/Getafe game.

tito_rehabilitacion-17521.jpg

timthumb.php

Fuck Cancer. Get well soon Tito.

Cancer is terrible, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Vilanova looking like this necessarily points to impending death. Its usually the chemotherapy that really takes its toll on the body. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer and looked perfectly healthy up until the days he started chemo, and suddenly he was an absolute wreck.

Still though, thoughts, prayers and all that...

Manager

Sheffield W player alone against keeper and trips on himself.

Cancer is terrible, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Vilanova looking like this necessarily points to impending death. Its usually the chemotherapy that really takes its toll on the body. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer and looked perfectly healthy up until the days he started chemo, and suddenly he was an absolute wreck.

Still though, thoughts, prayers and all that...

Do you look much better again after the treatment is over, "skin" wise? Celebreties often seem to hide after such treatments.

GorillaJu

Yep. Fairly sure that similar to Benitez post-Kenny, the Pellegrini link was just common sense rather than anything concrete. I really wanted Pellegrini at the time as well. Remember it becoming obvious quite quickly that H+G weren't interested in him, and people justifying it as 'there's never been a successful South Americal manager in England.' Ah well, que sera sera and all that shite.

edit: sohois seems to disagree. Hopefully I'm right, as choosing Hodge over Pellegrini after genuine consideration is gross negligence (to be expected from those cowboys, but still)

Well they had just got done firing a manager who they hired from La Liga, I think they were wary or superstitious about hiring another.

Fergie

Banned
Chelsea: Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Ramires, David Luiz, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Torre

Hull: McGregor, Chester, Bruce, Davies, Elmohamady, Figueroa, Meyler, Huddlestone, Livermore, Boyd, Sagbo

Decent lineups.

gG1CKVy.jpg

Who wants to buy Fatkay Gündobelly?
Still would.

Although some United fans might be losing patience with Moyes, I'll rather wait till he can have a chance to buy players and set them up.

Doesn't help that crucial key players are out.
Valencia's one dimensional play is easy to deflect, including his affliction to absolutely hammer crosses, at the same time his dreadful displays shouldn't be rewarded with starts. Clev is just pure shit.

Although it would be beneficial to get a 4th spot, it was always going to be hard after Ferguson. Pls understand.

GorillaJu

Sheffield W player alone against keeper and trips on himself.

Do you look much better again after the treatment is over, skin wise?

Depends on the person and their age, really. Not like I'm an expert here, but I know a few people who had chemo when they were young and made full recoveries.

Salvadora

You also lost your two best players: RvP and Cesc. A striker and a CAM, just like Dortmund. And yet you're doing better than before. Players come and go, no player is bigger than the club.

Much harder league with 5-6 excellent clubs? Before this season, City was a joke club, United couldn't even get out of group stage in CL, Liverpool was complete shit for years, Arsenal was Arsenal, only team always on a good level was Chelsea. So I don't know what you're talking about.
Jesus Christ.

well, seems like Rodrigo will be gone by next week.

35€ mil transfer + Rodrigo to earn 3€ mil year plus bonuses

not only we should sell, i doubt the kid even wants to stay.

thanks for giving us money to buy Morata, Sviato :)

sohois

Well they had just got done firing a manager who they hired from La Liga, I think they were wary or superstitious about hiring another.

It wasn't anything to do with La Liga or worries about foreign managers, it was pretty clear that Purslow had his mind set on Hodgson from the start.

Kenny was brought in to find a replacement, after a few weeks of looking he said that there was no one suitable and to just hire him instead (quite correctly when O'Neill and Hodgson were the favourites). The board rejected that, so he went back out to search and began talking to Pellegrini. Then, as I said, during the process Liverpool suddenly announced Hodgson as new manager. It wasn't even on Hicks & Gillete, it was purely a Purslow decision

Manager

well, seems like Rodrigo will be gone by next week.

35€ mil transfer + Rodrigo to earn 3€ mil year plus bonuses

not only we should sell, i doubt the kid even wants to stay.

thanks for giving us money to buy Morata, Sviato :)

"On 31 July 2010, Rodrigo signed a five-year contract with S.L. Benfica for approximately €6 million. Real Madrid had an option to re-buy the player for €12 million during the next two seasons; however, after Fábio Coentrão's transfer to the Spanish club, the teams agreed to cancel the buyback clause.[1]"

Damn.

Depends on the person and their age, really. Not like I'm an expert here, but I know a few people who had chemo when they were young and made full recoveries.

Nice to hear, amazing. I didn't really think much about this stuff until Breaking Bad, as sad as it sounds.

Just figured since it's not the same city, but Yorkshire derby it is.

Ah okey, horrible stuff...

Yeah. One of those things where it just fucks up absolutely everything, before you even think about finances and the like. Headaches, appetite, sleep, energy levels, motivation, fear. Guess cancer patients have to focus on the long term in the face of such constantly painful treatment. I'm petrified of getting it. Wonder what age people generally consider the pain of chemo to outweigh the positives of recovery.

I don't accept our failures, but someone from the outside can't really comment. PL and Serie A are harder leagues. Especially the PL schedule wise.

> "Someone from the outside can't really comment"
> Shits on Dortmund from the outside

You're hilarious, dude.

And lol at Serie A being a harder league. There's Juve and Napoli and then there's? Inter? Hahaha? Allegri? Oh my.

Oxx

I started browsing Gaf in about 2004, probably after seeing some innocuous thread linked on another forum.

The clean layout, lack of sigs/ads, and 50-100 posts-per-page made it easy to scroll through.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

You're hilarious, dude.

And lol at Serie A being a harder league. There's Juve and Napoli and then there's? Inter? Hahaha? Allegri? Oh my.
Serie A is harder. And this is coming from someone who defends the Bundesliga.

Not even worth debating, sorry.

Manager

wtf that Leeds defender didn't even try to close him down.

Yeah. One of those things where it just fucks up absolutely everything, before you even think about finances and the like. Headaches, appetite, sleep, energy levels, motivation, fear. Guess cancer patients have to focus on the long term in the face of such constantly painful treatment. I'm petrified of getting it. Wonder what age people generally consider the pain of chemo to outweigh the positives of recovery.

Yeah, started thinking about the sun and skin cancer lately.

Manager

Reda Johnson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leeds you are so fucking shite aahahahahahha

Bye bye Brian bye bye

It's fucking insane how Leeds keep hiring managers who have succeeded heavily in Championship before and still can't do stuff right at Leeds. Bates doesn't help but is less involved now.

You're hilarious, dude.

I know it is double standards and I apoligise for that but the money, the schedule, the amount of teams, the strength of teams makes the PL the hardest league in the world.As long as BM can beat their nearest rivals then 9/10 they will win the league

Although serie a is 1st-20th the hardest league in the world.

Bundasliga is the most fun though

sohois

Viva how did you find gaf?

I might be thinking of someone else here, but was it you that used to support Leeds?

OP list suggest a member called amitaiwinehouse supports Leeds. Though I do believe Manager is also a fan, at least from my lurking days he professed to be.

BT could not hire any less charismatic pundits. Hargreaves and McManaman???

RTE has better pundits!

RTE killed me when for the champions league coverage they had a pundit whose claim to fame was "scored a penalty in the semi final of euro under 19 championship"

I love my never mentioned Irish half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom