• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

Those people are idiots then imo

Tackling, scoring, assists, set piece ability, strength, interceptions*

I think Wilshere needs a lot of improvement in all of those areas to be regarded as complete. World class passer, very good dribbler, very intelligent mover, and very good decision making. That makes him a good, potentially great midfielder, not a complete one imo

*Obviously he can only improve his strength so much, and set pieces are a bonus.

No one said he IS a complete midfielder. Just that he has the potential to become one. I would say he is well on his way.

dc89

BWmz3dY.png

Get fucked rumours!

wedward

Those people are idiots then imo

Tackling, scoring, assists, set piece ability, strength, interceptions*

I think Wilshere needs a lot of improvement in all of those areas to be regarded as complete. World class passer, very good dribbler, very intelligent mover, and very good decision making. That makes him a good, potentially great midfielder, not a complete one imo

*Obviously he can only improve his strength so much, and set pieces are a bonus.

No one said he IS a complete midfielder. Just that he has the potential to become one. I would say he is well on his way.

He didn't play for 17 months. Lets give it some time before claiming he isnt an all around midfielder because he lacks in set piece ability and strength.

He didn't play for 17 months. Lets give it some time before claiming he isnt an all around midfielder because he lacks in set piece ability and strength.

I just can't see it happening for some reason. Then again I don't think anyone saw Ronaldo becoming the most complete attacker in the world, so what do I know? :p

Wes

venison crêpe
Stephen Ireland might sign permanently for Stoke this window rather than in the Summer. Would be nice to free up the £50k+ p/w we're paying him....

Jack isn't a complete midfielder and he never will be, but most importantly he doesn't need to be.

He is an attacking player and that seems to be forgotten. The fact that he goes back and works so much against bigger and stronger players is the reason why he has been injured so much. It is also why I feel his development has been stunted a bit, because he is not as free as he should be. He was impressive the other day when he was playing in that free role and not worrying so much about helping out.

This guy is an Ozil not a Viera.

wedward

Jack isn't a complete midfielder and he never will be, but most importantly he doesn't need to be.

He is an attacking player and that seems to be forgotten. The fact that he goes back and works so much against bigger and stronger players is the reason why he has been injured so much. It is also why I feel his development has been stunted a bit, because he is not as free as he should be. He was impressive the other day when he was playing in that free role and not worrying so much about helping out.

This guy is an Ozil not a Viera.

Nope. He is much better coming from deeper positions than Ozil.

The best he has ever been was when he was a deep lying playmaker in 2010-2011.

I was surprised to hear people talking about Cardiff being hard done by against Arsenal. Judging from the hour long highlights, they bought nothing to the match in an attacking sense, and could quite easily have lost 4-0.

Nope. He is much better coming from deeper positions than Ozil.

The best he has ever been was when he was a deep lying playmaker in 2010-2011.

That is not the player he is. When I use to watch him for the youth team he was more of a number 10.

He just cant play effectively and consistently as a DLP. In that position he is going up against bigger and stronger players and they just hurt him to much.

His range of passing is also not suited to that position. He is better at one-twos around the box. He rarely sprays the ball around.

If he plays as a DLP then that is gonna be his career over due to injuries.

wedward

That is not the player he is. When I use to watch him for the youth team he was more of a number 10.

He just cant play effectively and consistently as a DLP. In that position he is going up against bigger and stronger players and they just hurt him to much.

His range of passing is also not suited to that position. He is better at one-twos around the box. He rarely sprays the ball around.

If he plays as a DLP then that is gonna be his career over due to injuries.

Agree to disagree.

He is going to have to get used to playing deeper because he won't be playing in the #10.

And that last part is simply not true. He is going to get kicked no matter where he plays.

I was surprised to hear people talking about Cardiff being hard done by against Arsenal. Judging from the hour long highlights, they bought nothing to the match in an attacking sense, and could quite easily have lost 4-0.

Cardiff countered well at times, but the comedy at the back helped them when attacking. They defended well and organised, but they just didn't do enough attacking to merit a point IMO.

BWmz3dY.png

Get fucked rumours!

I thought you could only give players under the age of 18 a 3 year contract at most. Januzaj and Lopes (who were bought in 2011) had to wait until they were 18 to sign a new contract. Lopes only just turned 18 so what gives?

Similar to Pogba. Bought at age 16, contract expired at age 19, and United failed to extend his contract on his final season when he was 18.

Salvadora

Maybe because of the penalty shout for the Monreal handball at 0-0, Hitch? Although in fairness we should have had one on Jacky too.

I don't think him going in for tackles has caused him to get injured.

It's when he is dribbling and people come in and hack him down and kick him.

He has ankle problems, if he goes in for tackling it is going to be putting more strain on his foot and ankle than if he wasnt.

wedward

He has ankle problems, if he goes in for tackling it is going to be putting more strain on his foot and ankle than if he wasnt.

Running causes the most strain and was the original cause for his stress fracture. Tackling isn't going to cause a stress fracture any more than getting kicked in the the ankles.

Clegg

Moyes says Rooney's injury "isn't getting better", Nani will be out for "quite a while" and no signings are imminent.

Salvadora

I think this guy is quite on point.

Even as an Arsenal fan it's odd to see us sitting at the top of the table for a large part of the season and journalists consistently calling each game a "test" and generally dismissing us regardless of the points lead, sometimes for no more than "they haven't won anything in 8 years." Like that means anything on its own.

FootballFan

This place has gone to the dogs since Wilbur and Arnie's absence, the likes of rvy roaming free pontificating nonsense, arsenal fan's remain unchecked. Bring back the donkey impregnator all is forgiven

What are you on about. Rvy and lambda have been amazing. Plug is back. Bundesliga bros fighting epl bros. Buds thread is very good so far.

Now just some more transfer muppet shit.

Running causes the most strain and was the original cause for his stress fracture. Tackling isn't going to cause a stress fracture any more than getting kicked in the the ankles.

Running? I thought it was originally from a knock against Boca.

I am not denying he is going to get hurt, but he is more likely to be getting hurt and picking up injuries if he is fighting around in tackles.

Ans also more importantly, he is just not very good back there.

wedward

Running? I thought it was originally from a knock against Boca.

I am not denying he is going to get hurt, but he is more likely to be getting hurt and picking up injuries if he is fighting around in tackles.

Ans also more importantly, he is just not very good back there.

His original injury was from a knock against boca. He was out 5 months with that injury. He then had a stress fracture that kept him out for a year.

I don't think you and I are talking about the same position. He isn't playing "back there." He isn't shielding the CB's. He would be playing deeper than a 10 and making runs through the midfield. Playing there isn't going to put him at higher risk of injury than playing at the #10 would. And again, how would he play the #10 with Ozil?

If you don't want him in a deeper role than where exactly should he play? The wing? He is too good to be on the bench.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
See, this is why I hate WhoScored ratings. Sandro has still been one of our best players, he's just been injury prone.

I don't think Sandro has been anywhere near his best this season. He's done OK in the cup games but he's hasn't had the run of league games needed to return to full sharpness. Hopefully this calf injury will he the last for a while.

Clegg

You guys will sign someone. Has to happen. Bordering on gross negligence if you don't.
Unless United have managed to keep info on lockdown, which is improbable, then we genuinely don't appear to be moving towards any sort of transfer. Absolutely zero coming from the club.

Salvadora

Unless United have managed to keep info on lockdown, which is improbable, then we genuinely don't appear to be moving towards any sort of transfer. Absolutely zero coming from the club.
a leftback is almost a certainty, at the very least.

Moyes identified that as an area of weakness immediately.

Elchele

Marry has failed us once again. :(

Wonder if they will be able to sign him, maybe if they reach a middle point between the 15M and the 30M (lol) Chelsea are asking for.

If so, they would have signed Luiz Gustavo and De Bruyne in one season. Plus they have Diego, Ricardo Rodríguez and that wonder kid Arnold already. Wolfsburg finally coming back to life?

Clegg

a leftback is almost a certainty, at the very least.

Moyes identified that as an area of weakness immediately.
Tbf he identified midfield as a weakness too, but panic bought when he missed out on Fabregas. If we don't sign anyone in Jan then it's because he wants his 50 scouting reports before he signs a player.

Another reason we performed so poorly in the market is down to Woodward's inexperience. He didn't recognise that he was being used by agents to get better contracts for their players at their current clubs. In fairness, it seems like United have used the last few months to strengthen ties with agents to make sure we get the players we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom