• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I thought you could only give players under the age of 18 a 3 year contract at most. Januzaj and Lopes (who were bought in 2011) had to wait until they were 18 to sign a new contract. Lopes only just turned 18 so what gives?

Similar to Pogba. Bought at age 16, contract expired at age 19, and United failed to extend his contract on his final season when he was 18.

o_O I dunno.

I'm sure someone will say its something to do with oil money.

Jack doesn't belong in the same sentence as Ozil. If Jack becomes half as good as Ozil that will be an accomplishment.

It is why i said an lol.

He is more suited to that type of role. Of course his vision is different, but they are both at their best and most natural around the penalty box. That assist for Theo was a thing of beauty. Ozil and even Totti would have been proud of that.

wedward

Tbf he identified midfield as a weakness too, but panic bought when he missed out on Fabregas. If we don't sign anyone in Jan then it's because he wants his 50 scouting reports before he signs a player.

Do you think its possible that they have big plans for the summer and have accepted that they might fall out of the top 4 this season?

Because if RVP and Rooney continue to have injury problems that seems likely.

It won't be horrible for you guys because you can still attract talent on name alone.

Lightning

Banned
Ramsey is the complete midfielder for me. Excellent on attack, defence, strong enough he hardly gets knocked off the Ball, assists, makes key passes, scores, defends. All he needs to do is keep working and improving he is becoming everything one would want in a midfielder.

It is why i said an lol.

He is more suited to that type of role. Of course his vision is different, but they are both at their best and most natural around the penalty box. That assist for Theo was a thing of beauty. Ozil and even Totti would have been proud of that.
While he done well against Cardiff, our best player on the pitch, Ozil is outstanding. His passing is sensational, his vision and reading of the game is beyond anyone in our squad in the attacking area. Jack has a long way to go and I feel fits more the box to box role rather than chief playmaker role that Ozil has. Jack is not a Ozil or Viera imo but more a Gerrard or Lampard. The other 2 score more great goals from distance but in time Jack will score some goals as well.

For England I would play Lallana as an attacking playmaker ahead of Jack.

I dont read spanish so I am just gonna assume it is Inter.

Ramsey is the complete midfielder for me. Excellent on attack, defence, strong enough he hardly gets knocked off the Ball, assists, makes key passes, scores, defends. All he needs to do is keep working and improving he is becoming everything one would want in a midfielder.

This i can get behind. He still needs to be more consistent with his passing because the awful Ramsay of last year came back against the Spammers.

wedward

His biggest issue right now is sloppy passes. Seems to be an issue for the whole team.

bobito

Banned
o_O I dunno.

I'm sure someone will say its something to do with oil money.

Oil money, really big fanbase. its all the same. Southampton are the pl team I like the most

Also I agree with the German lads. Would take a master overlord like Bayern to have a good national team/see kids given a chance/cheaper tickets.

Clegg

Do you think its possible that they have big plans for the summer and have accepted that they might fall out of the top 4 this season?

Because if RVP and Rooney continue to have injury problems that seems likely.

It won't be horrible for you guys because you can still attract talent on name alone.
I'm beginning to think that. Though if the right player becomes available this window I'm sure we'll try to sign him.

Salvadora

Passively accepting a drop out of the top 4 would be madness, wedward.

A sackable offence imo.
Tbf he identified midfield as a weakness too, but panic bought when he missed out on Fabregas. If we don't sign anyone in Jan then it's because he wants his 50 scouting reports before he signs a player.
It was, but in the LB position you have a player who is available and willing to come to United, provided you pay the price.

Not so many news stories would be needed for that deal, unless Woodward goes off the deep end again.

wedward

A sackable offence imo.

It was, but in the LB position you have a player who is available and willing to come to United, provided you pay the price.

Not so many news stories would be needed for that deal, unless Woodward goes off the deep end again.

I'm just saying that maybe they would rather wait till summer to get the players they want, rather than to panic buy players in January just for the hope of staying top 4.

Presumably PSG.

"There is a club whose sponsor [is] a government that would be willing to pay 400 million [for] Leo Messi "

The Chinese are the secret owners of Inter, finally Moratti will have his dream of Messi coming to inter.

Although when you say sponsor do you mean shirt sponsor or club ownership sponsors???

Salvadora

I'm just saying that maybe they would rather wait till summer to get the players they want, rather than to panic buy players in January just for the hope of staying top 4.
Dropping out of the top 4 would lead to an immediate drop in revenue (which would offset any January panic buys) and an increased difficulty in player recruitment.

Like, of course they will still be able to sign good players but good luck trying to get some of last summer's unrealistic targets when you're playing in the Europa League. Maybe you would even have to pay them increased wages to compensate.

Lightning

Banned

A sackable offence imo.
Why does Wenger or Ivan have a job at Arsenal then? Remember when Arsenal's management fucked every fan off by going public that missing out on top 4 is not a big deal the club has set things up to cope should that happen? Yeah. Fucking bastards.

Should set things up so that DOESN'T happen.

wedward

Why does Wenger or Ivan have a job at Arsenal then? Remember when Arsenal's management fucked every fan off by going public that missing out on top 4 is not a big deal the club has set things up to cope should that happen? Yeah. Fucking bastards.

Should set things up so that DOESN'T happen.

They were speaking financially. And they were correct. Calm down. Wenger calls top 4 a trophy. Obviously he thinks its important.

Why does Wenger or Ivan have a job at Arsenal then?

I ask myself this all the time. lol.

I genuinely believe one of them would have gone had we not signed Ozil. However, Wenger has bought his stay of execution. Ivan still needs to go. He knows less about football than any of us.

Another LTTP: TLOU thread. I just saw one two days ago and commented in it. I completed it a week ago and did not feel the need to make a thread. Surely there should be a minimum amount of time before you are LTTP on something. Shock horror of playing a game in its first 6 months. It should be an 18 month minimum or something.

FootballFan

keisuke-honda.jpg

Only a matter of days now.

Is that a Photoshop?

Lightning

Banned
They were speaking financially. And they were correct. Calm down. Wenger calls top 4 a trophy. Obviously he thinks its important.
The problem with no top 4 goes beyond that though and Arsenal's management should not be speaking this way, especially before it happens as it sends totally the wrong message. If we were able to be financially sound without top 4 then why didn't we spend more to avoid missing out for example? All of these things end up coming out. For me we shouldn't be financially okay should that happen because then we should have spent more to make sure that doesn't happen as we are financially okay. You see the issue?

It was a silly statement and sent the wrong message.

How would United fans react if Woodward came out and said if they didn't make the top 4 they will be financially fine? You can imagine the meltdowns because those sort of situations should never arise.

Salvadora

How would United fans react if Woodward came out and said if they didn't make the top 4 they will be financially fine? You can imagine the meltdowns because those sort of situations should never arise.

He did come out and say that iirc, and pointed to Liverpool as an example.

The problem with no top 4 goes beyond that though and Arsenal's management should not be speaking this way, especially before it happens as it sends totally the wrong message. If we were able to be financially sound without top 4 then why didn't we spend more to avoid missing out for example? All of these things end up coming out. For me we shouldn't be financially okay should that happen because then we should have spent more to make sure that doesn't happen as we are financially okay. You see the issue?

I agree 100% Can't believe we both agree with something when it comes to management.

It is also what annoyed me with Ivan and Wenger when Ivan said we had money to spend and would spend it, but then Wenger the whole summer kept saying I am happy with the squad and don't need to spend money. It was only after the Spurs game that Wenger said a surprise was going to come.

Management should always be in tune.

Presumably PSG.

"There is a club whose sponsor [is] a government that would be willing to pay 400 million [for] Leo Messi "

Dominating European football and solidifying a colossal legacy - and in by doing so capturing the fanbase of another generation - is arguably more appealing to them than money they don't need. If clubs like PSG value Messi at those sort of prices, then it should just reinforce the belief that PSG want more than just a player; they want to buy Barca's future

He's already said it.

He's not really wrong either.

wedward

Because spending lots of money doesn't guarantee anything.

Hixx

""An official insulting any player, no matter his intentions, is clearly not acceptable behaviour," spokesman Jordan Sibley said."

Fuck off you utter fucking cunt. I wonder how many times a Southampton player has called a referee a wanker or worse this season - where's their punishment?

kharma45

""An official insulting any player, no matter his intentions, is clearly not acceptable behaviour," spokesman Jordan Sibley said."

Fuck off you utter fucking cunt. I wonder how many times a Southampton player has called a referee a wanker or worse this season - where's their punishment?

Exactly. The frankly disgusting abuse refs have to put up with is beyond a joke now. Somehow football needs to start enforcing respect into players for the referee, players aren't booked enough for dissent. You'd never see a rugby referee take any of the shit that football refs have to take.

D_prOdigy

Exactly. The frankly disgusting abuse refs have to put up with is beyond a joke now. Somehow football needs to start enforcing respect into players for the referee, players aren't booked enough for dissent. You'd never see a rugby referee take any of the shit that football refs have to take.

careful, you'll summon the "passion" blerts.

Salvadora

I'm with Kharma. The Southampton situation is frankly embarrassing.
Giles: Board have given AW funds to buy title, AW being cautious as ever, believes his squad is enough
I'm pretty positive that the money is there for whomever is available, but it's no surprise that Wenger is being cautious.

In truth, the talent just isn't there in January and clubs know we're desperate. It's a bit of a catch 22: don't buy and we'll have less of a chance of winning the title or buy and get taken to the bank.

wedward

I'm pretty positive that the money is there for whomever is available, but it's no surprise that Wenger is being cautious.

In truth, the talent just isn't there in January and clubs know we're desperate. It's a bit of a catch 22: don't buy and we'll have less of a chance of winning the title or buy and get taken to the bank.

I think unless we get someone like Costa, we will be trying to get a world class striker this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom