• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

Because they can't go around signing the best players in the world and broadcast those games to whatever many countries the EPL is broadcasted in. England has at least 4 or 5 clubs that have the ability to spend ridiculous amounts of money on players. No other country in the world has that. This allows them to market themselves as the best league in the world because they have a handful of teams with the best talent in the world.

Just made the case for me.

Thanks.

BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD (TM)

Elchele

You didn't answer my question. If it's just marketing, why don't the other leagues market themselves as the best league in the world. If, as you claim, the EPL is lying when they claim that, why don't other leagues?

In advertising we learn that if you're the best, you don't need to say it.

I'm not even sure who German team #5 is.

The ones signing De Bruyne.

Just look at this thread. Most EPL fans watch lots of EPL games, not just the team they support.

Bundeliga and La Liga posters only watch Barca, Madrid, Bayern or Dortmund. They never talk about watching Getafe v Espanyol. Never heard anyone talk about shitty German team #5 vs shitty German team #15.

No why? Because those teams are shit and boring.

I remember a lot of us watching La Liga matches not involving RM or Barcelona. I watch like 3 Bundesliga matches every week, and comment about some of those matches here, are you new here?

And I'm 100% sure that watching Freiburg play is 100 times better than watching any team of the EPL (outside of the top 5) playing. That's my problem with EPL.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
When we get Vidal next week.

at least wait till we beat Roma pls

Random Vidal gifs of the day:

iuWk5ajhO050U.gif

1653559.gif

Lightning

Banned
the PL is surprisingly boring this season. I'm serious.

United must come back to life again
As shit as they've been they are only 5 points outside the top 4.

Could anyone imagine a league where the teams were:

Arsenal
City
United
Chelsea
Juventus
Napoli
Milan
Atletico
Madrid
Barcelona
PSG
Bayern
Dortmund
Porto
Celtic
Shakthar
Galatasaray

One league home and away. That would be fucking hard.

rvy

Banned
Bundeliga and La Liga posters only watch Barca, Madrid, Bayern or Dortmund. They never talk about watching Getafe v Espanyol. Never heard anyone talk about shitty German team #5 vs shitty German team #15.

No why? Because those teams are shit and boring.

Actually no, it's because there are so many English posters and so few from other countries that no one discusses other matches. It's hard enough to get people to watch Benfica v Porto, let alone teams that you have never heard of. This has fuckall to do with the quality of the match itself. I see it every time, Sporting supporters basically posting and replying to themselves.

Yeah, you may get 10 posters watching Milan vs Juve, but you sure as shit ain't gonna get 1 or 2 to watch Roma vs Parma, unless they're Italian. This doesn't mean that people don't watch the game, just that they aren't about to post and reply to themselves.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Europa League is always fun in the knock out phase
It'll be amazing this year, no joke. A potential Juve-Fiorentina* and Juve-Napoli* over two legs!

the-jesus-big-lebowski-ball-lick-sports-tonges.gif

*assuming people give a shit about Italian grudge matches

rvy

Banned
It'll be amazing this year, no joke. A potential Juve-Fiorentina* and Juve-Napoli* over two legs!

You know damn well people only like Roma vs Nazio.

Meier

Played against Anderlecht in my FM save -- Steeven Joseph-Monrose seems like a pretty good player. Signed from Genk in 2015 and having a good first season for them.

arkon

the-jesus-big-lebowski-ball-lick-sports-tonges.gif

Do the Italian teams even give a shit about the Europa league?

Salvadora

Beautiful football died when Wenger decided it was time to win the league again.
It's strange how the two have correlated.

I think we've played "poorly" by our previous standards this season. Some standout performances (Ramsey, Napoli at home), but it's clear that Wenger is doing things differently. Arsenal GAF has been bemoaning ball retention and possession stats all season.

Elchele

No.

Being the most excellent at something doesn't make you most fun, entertaining or exciting thing.

I'm not talking about excellence, you know I'm the first one complaining about how boring Pep's tactics are.

I meant good looking football, like what Dortmund does. Like Bayern did last season, and like the rest (most) of the league tries to play. The difference is in the coaches and youth players, they have a real clue about modern football so they can translate it to their game.

I don't really understand what you consider fun. I enjoy watching good football, even if they're playing with only youth unknown players like Freiburg did last season, or like Gladbach are doing this season again.

I have watched mid and lower side teams in EPL (mostly because of honduran players) and the way they play is like watching honduran football with better stadiums. depressing to watch

Elchele

Played against Anderlecht in my FM save -- Steeven Joseph-Monrose seems like a pretty good player. Signed from Genk in 2015 and having a good first season for them.

Is Najar any good in the game? He recently earned a spot in the starting XI with his performance in Anderlecht last CL match.

wedward

It's strange how the two have correlated.

I think we've played "poorly" by our previous standards this season. Some standout performances (Ramsey, Napoli at home), but it's clear that Wenger is doing things differently. Arsenal GAF has been bemoaning ball retention and possession stats all season.

When we are up 1-0 wenger puts on another fullback. That about sums it up.

And I am totally fine with it.

I do think we will continue to improve and that this team can play as good of stuff as we have in the past. I think Giroud's lack of talent hurts us. When he brings the ball down 30 yards away from goal nobody is afraid of him doing something with it. Not like they were when we had RVP.

Meier

Is Najar any good in the game? He recently earned a spot in the starting XI with his performance in Anderlecht last CL match.

Looks like he is only a 2* player and playing with their U-21 team. About to be out of a contract in the summer of 2016.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Do the Italian teams even give a shit about the Europa league?

Normally? No.

But this time it's different

Juve: will give a shit because the final is in their own stadium
Fiorentina: will give a shit because they can potentially knock Juve out + win a trophy in their stadium
Napoli: read the above

we're all forced to give a shit, basically.

Elchele

iTR02PRpLZ33B.png

I thought Ajax had qualified for next CL round.

Porto vs. Frankfurt :looool

Betis vs. Rubin Kazan should be good
I bet Genk will win against Anzhit

Looks like he is only a 2* player and playing with their U-21 team. About to be out of a contract in the summer of 2016.

Yeah, that was his real life status just a few weeks ago. They gave him a chance recently in the first team and now he's a starter

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Playing a day later is going to fucking suck though

less rest for our players

As you sow, so shall you reap, cunts.

Elchele

Normally? No.

But this time it's different

Juve: will give a shit because the final is in their own stadium
Fiorentina: will give a shit because they can potentially knock Juve out + win a trophy in their stadium
Napoli: read the above

we're all forced to give a shit, basically.

you got to admit, this post will be very funny if the three get eliminated in the first round

Salvadora

When we are up 1-0 wenger puts on another fullback. That about sums it up.

And I am totally fine with it.

I do think we will continue to improve and that this team can play as good of stuff as we have in the past. I think Giroud's lack of talent hurts us.
It's even somewhat regular to end a match with 4 fullbacks on.

I'm totally fine with it as well, as long as we keep winning matches. The mentality in this Arsenal side impresses me so much, especially with our rock solid defence. We used to concede goals like crazy, not any more.

Giroud's general play is a large part of how we got to where we are, but I agree, his limits won't go away and could hold us back. We laugh about it, but if we won the league with Giroud, Bendtner and someone like Berbatov, it would be fucking mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom