• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Thread started a year before I was approved as a member. Woulda been awesome to have posted in that.

EDIT: I'm the first post in the second thread lmao. Didn't get added and I didn't mention United =(. At the time I was more concerned that the Miami Hurricanes made it on the list.

We had a nice 85 000 post thread back then:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176111

2008 City problems:
Benjani can't play :(

I paid like £60 for my City shirt this season with printing and patches.

Now you can get a home shirt with free printing for £25 I think.

/PR

Yep, thinking of buying one. Can't decide which player to get though.

Are the shirts stretchy? Trying to figure out my size.

For sure, it's up to the chairman. I'm sure a lot of contracts will be renegotiated over the summer.

Yeah we have tied down Walker, Sandro signed a new one in September I think.

Bale signed one end of last season but we all know his opinion on whether he is staying or not! I'd say the two we need to get a new contract for would be Van der Vaart and Lennon, assuming the Kaboul rumour is true about signing a new contract.

When the lights go down at Prometheus I might remove my pants to prevent excess chafing in the crotch region.

The trailer was attached to the Avengers. After it finished I let out an audible moan, slightly louder than I expected.

I got some funny looks :(

Meier

Yep, thinking of buying one. Can't decide which player to get though.

Are the shirts stretchy? Trying to figure out my size.

The shirts are not that stretchy since they're a fairly exact measurement. You can look at some of the training sizes to get an approximate range though if you're thinking from a S, M, L, etc. frame of reference.

I have two 40" shirts and they fit perfectly but I bought one of the training shirts in Medium (38"-40" I believe) and it's a wee bit snug.. so you may want to err on the side of caution.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Our (rumoured) pre-season is looking like this so far: Barcelona, Real Madrid, HSV and Notts County in England.

We also declined playing Notthingham Forrest. Out of respect for Notts County I assume?

Yeah, Giovinco's return is almost certain at this point, especially if Conte really seems to like him as they're saying.

We're up for an exciting summer mercato, that's for sure.

I hear Lavezzi-Inter is almost done? Which most likely means no one is getting Cavani now -_-

Yup, unless someone offers crazy money for Gio, he's coming back to us. 16 goals/10 assists, I'd be happy if we can
sew his mouth and
get even half of that next season.

Wessiej

C2cgA.jpg

It is determined :(

Duitsland = Germany for you crazy foreigners.

Just finished Friday Night Lights.

That was fun, good show. It was hyped up massively and so I think perhaps I expected something which would be incredibly gripping and enthralling. It wasn't that but then I don't think it tried to be, it's quite a simple show about the basic things in life and I think it captured that really well...in the setting of American Football obv.

I did find some of the characters to be a little bit annoying though, as I said before, I find Tammy to be just too perfect. I wanted her to go wrong somewhere, I think that might have made her a better character. In general I got a little bit sick of the Taylor's tbh.

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread guys!

GQman2121

Banned
The rumors on the BBC today are interesting:

Former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has rejected a second approach from Chelsea, despite the offer of £12m-a-year and a huge transfer budget.

That's a fuck-ton of monies. There is no way that figure is accurate.

Manchester City's players have been promised £250,000 each if they land the Premier League title.

This is also a fuck-ton of bonus money, and also illegal for every major sport in the USA. I'm not sure why.

How cliché is that shit? Not feeling that slogan, should have been something more related to the club, "We'll never die" would have been nice.

Anyways, looks cool. I think I will like this kit, it looked better on that mannequin picture than hanging loose. Will buy with Kagawa, #7.

Manager

This is also a fuck-ton of bonus money, and also illegal for every major sport in the USA. I'm not sure why.

Isn't that quite standard? £4.5m to the whole squad according to that rumour. At least that's what I think the teams in FM usually gets, maybe a bit less.

Fady K

I think the thing about AVB is that he was building for the future, whereas Di Matteo came in with the intention of winning now. I don't think AVB handled his position well, but I still think the older players were disgraceful throughout the whole saga. In the end I think removing Villa-Boas from his position was the only move left to make.

Villa-Boas to Villa!

The old players should have done better, no doubt; the problem is while AVB had some bright ideas, he was just so poor at key areas - and unfortunately, he wasn't getting results or the attacking football he promised to deliver. In fact, as the season went on, we got worse as a team. He had the chance to play his way against Napoli without the players he didn't believe in, and he failed spectacularly...I really wish he succeeded, but the truth is AVB gave Chelsea their worst ever season in the Abramovich era. It really is a miracle that Di Matteo brought them to this after what he was left with.

Still, Aston Villa Boas would be great to watch. McLeish FTL!

Yep. He was building for the future and that was probably the right thing to do, problem was he in the process managed to piss off most of the squad and no matter how big cunts some of the players might have been, is makes so much more sense to fire a manager than half of the team, especially when AVB also seemed to have slowly but surely lost his mind dealing with the old brigade in Chelsea.

Even if Di Matteo I have my doubt if he's the right manager for Chelsea in the next season, it's a team that does desperately need re building, even if they are doing great right now.

He was also horrible with the media and giving all the Chelsea-haters on GAF constant ammunition haha. Ushojax in particular had a blast watching his war with the media :p Honestly though? I think Di Matteo is doing a balance. Sure, he is focusing on the "now" - but he tries to deliver the best "now" every day in a sense so "tomorrow" can always look good. The way he used a lot of the Chelsea players in different positions and the way he brought out the best in some players who sucked under AVB is a good step towards rebuilding. Here's hoping for some decent summer buys.

I like AVB and wish him well in his next job. I hope he returns to the PL one day.

Likewise! I think if he sorts himself out a bit he can be special himself.

I find it hard to get on board with this. Despite the fact that Chelsea is sitting higher in the table than Liverpool were this time last season, you're saying nearly identical things to what we were saying last year.

Liverpool fans were all saying how Kuyt, Maxi and co. were all great footballers and we shouldn't be looking to get rid, but now here we are a year later and Maxi, who scored two hat tricks in the tail end of last season while Kuyt bagged one too have been woeful every time they've been played.

Yes, the team spirit is there. The unity is there, but the players who weren't good enough for the previous manager aren't good enough for the current manager, either.

Drogba has had some incredible goals recently, though. No denying that.

I see what you're saying, and I agree. Unity alone is not enough. It was definitely lacking in a detrimental way before though. It seemed to affect morale and the performances. The thing about performances though, is that under Di Matteo, a good number of players are actually playing far better. Maybe it's temporary, but it's very different to the AVB days. Luiz, for instance, is a completely different player under RDM.

What are your thoughts on Dalglish?

more like puyol

A young Puyol, definitely :p

You, Fady and Yurt. You're the ones who get it.

<3

Even when you post all that City "PR" stuff haha, I completely understand and see nothing wrong with it. The way I see it, you're a passionate fan who enjoys the team beyond their matches on the pitch, plus, you show respect to other teams, and that's not very common among the football fans I know.

Wilbur

Banned
How cliché is that shit? Not feeling that slogan, should have been something more related to the club, "We'll never die" would have been nice.

Anyways, looks cool. I think I will like this kit, it looked better on that mannequin picture than hanging loose. Will buy with Kagawa, #7.

Slogan sucks. To be fair, the checked shirt isn't as bad as it looked at first. I wish we had Umbro as our shirt makers though.

GQman2121

Banned
Isn't that quite standard? £4.5m to the whole squad according to that rumour. At least that's what I think the teams in FM usually gets, maybe a bit less.

I think believe so. I suppose I was more pointing out that that is against the rules here in the States. Hell, most NFL players make that much for the entire season.

Wilbur

Banned
City away kit for £15 with Kompany from the actual store... if that had almost any other badge on it I'd go for it :( but I could never wear it hahaha OHHHH

Meier

For Porto, I pay out like $8 million to my players (half) in bonuses for the domestic cups and league as I recall.. and the cups are essentially nothing (Taca de Portugal and League Cup each yield like $500k prizes). That'd be about in line with £4.5 million.

I think believe so. I suppose I was more pointing out that that is against the rules here in the States. Hell, most NFL players make that much for the entire season.

That is not to each player -- each player would get about £250,000. It's £4.5 across the entire squad.

GQman2121

Banned

Doubles as a beautiful tablecloth too! Perfect for those weekend picnic's.

Fady K

Man, I keep responding to ancient posts, I should stop being so LTTP all the time and make smaller posts :'( But I couldn't ignore FootyMovieGAF :D My favorite films are Nolan's Batman films and Inception. I'm also CRAZY about Road to Perdition. Alien rocks. Blade Runner kicks ass. The Empire Strikes Back. Terminator 2. That's what I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and one movie I loved that I bet no one on FootyGAF gave a damn about is Flipped :D

Completely. I think Cameron's made one great film and two very good ones, but Avatar was one of the most loathsome films of all time.

It looks beautiful but it's so overwhelmingly boring I ignore all of it. Didn't really like Titanic but wouldn't say I hated it. True Lies is okay. He's just a slightly better Michael Bay nowadays, days of The Terminator are long gone

WOW. Wilbury it's like I'm reading my own posts here! I feel EXACTLY the same haha. Man, I love the Cameron of the 80s/Early 90s era but that's it. Aliens, T2....great stuff. To think that he is considering going for THREE MORE AVATAR FILMS = Cameron is dead to me.

I love Speilbergs movies and I think he is a demigod. War Horse is the best movie in 2011 and Super 8 and Tintin in top 10.
Come at me, Footy-Gaf...

Come at you? I'm coming with you bro! Tin Tin was my favorite film from last year! I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but I absolutely loved X-Men: First Class and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Super 8 was by J.J Abrams though (disappointing film for me. ET craps all over it IMO).

Yeah, It is spelled ''Artificial Intelligence '', also, known as the movie of forever.

A.I. - One of the most depressing films ever. I've only watched it once, and bought the Blu Ray for the extras only. I don't have the guts to watch it again :[

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy > Drive > Fast Five

YEAH MOTHERFUCKER

I am ashamed to say that, having watched it in theaters even, I struggled with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I'm sure there's a great film in there, but I just had a very hard time keeping up.

The Ridley Scott original was still better.

+1!!

My favourite movie is The Shining

I found it to be disappointing honestly :[ Though I did enjoy Jack's performance :D I'll never forget the scene where
he was trying to focus on working and his wife is distracting him with trivial questions and he loses it hahahaha

I've seen too many classic movies that I can't name the best one of all time, but I will say that Blade Runner is among the greatest.

Great taste, sir!

The Shining, The Godfather, The Assassination Of Jesse James, Once Upon A Time In The West, 12 Angry Men, The King Of Comedy, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, No Direction Home, Seven Samurai, Singing In The Rain

I thought the Assassination of Jesse James sucked assssssssssssssssss :[ Soooo boring :p Admirable performance by Pitt and Affleck though.

This thread sucks

There is more talk of what City players buy on eBay and like on their bagels than there is of the Championship (best league in the world)

jtb

Banned
the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford is one of the best films of the decade; casey affleck is IMMENSE, and brad pitt aint too bad either. casey is absolutely fantastic in gone baby gone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom