• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Nope. UNILATERAL option.

The Bulgarian’s current deal expires at the end of the season but United will trigger a unilateral option this week to extend his contract by a further year to prevent the player from leaving on a free transfer in the summer.

And Berbatov would have been aware of this when he originally signed for United.

It's not like United have made up a new contract clause.

This would have been in his contract when he signed for United.

rififi

RM Castilla won the 3rd division, so Villarreal vs Castilla next season (as someone mentioned, sucks for Villarreal B).

Oh, and Deportivo will be back next season.

Soi-Fong

Apparently on Sky, Lewandowski's agent confirmed Fergie's interest in the player. I swear to God, Fergie must be losing it in the head if he wasn't impressed by Kagawa yesterday.

Wilbur

Banned
Lazio 2 - 1 Inter now mwahhahhahahaha

We did it. Klose, Luca Toni, Olic, etc. Yes, very unclassy, if you don't need him, let him go.

You mean Klose who joined Bayern a year before his contract ended, which means cut-price? And with a president who says things like this:

“I’m certain we’ll see Miroslav Klose come to Bayern on a free transfer by 2008 at the latest,” Rummenigge told the respected dpa news agency. The player himself confirmed his intentions after Germany's Euro 2008 qualifier against Slovakia in Hamburg on Wednesday: "The facts are that I've decided to play for Bayern Munich from 2008."

The Germany hitman has a contract with Werder Bremen running until 30 June 2008, but Bayern have not ruled out bringing in the player this summer. "We've made Werder Bremen a formal offer for Miro Klose, a generous offer too. The final decision is now entirely up to Werder," general manager Uli Hoeneß reported on Thursday.

Rummenigge laid down one strict condition, however. “Naturally, it should be clear to everyone that Bayern will not accept demands for €15 or €20 million for a player who only has a year left on his contract.” Klose, the leading scorer at last summer's World Cup, appears relaxed about the situation: "If it does come about that I end up playing for Bayern next season, I'd obviously be delighted about that as well."

Both president and player being unclassy there (and if I recall Rummenigge does it all the time, and they all talked shit about Dortmund this year).

Luca Toni cost 11m euros, which at the time was around 8-9m pounds, so nowhere near 30m. And Olic joined on a free transfer. Not the same.

elsk

Banned
And Berbatov would have been aware of this when he originally signed for United.

It's not like United have made up a new contract clause.

This would have been in his contract when he signed for United.

Of course, I'm not saying ManU did something 'illegal'. I'm sure Berbatov would've expect to be playing by this time, but now he barely gets a match and still rather than letting him go to continue the last part of his career, Manchester United is trying to get money out of him.

You mean Klose who joined Bayern a year before his contract ended, which means cut-price? And with a president who says things like this:

Both president and player being unclassy there (and if I recall Rummenigge does it all the time, and they all talked shit about Dortmund this year).

Luca Toni cost 11m euros, which at the time was around 8-9m pounds, so nowhere near 30m. And Olic joined on a free transfer. Not the same.

I'm not talking about buying players. I'm talking about letting players leave when they're not getting play time.

And what's wrong in buying players on free transfer? I think that's better than buying mediocre british players for 30 pounds. Thanks to that we aren't in huge debt like Man U. And players in their last year of contract are obviously going to be sold for cheap, haha, don't get what are you trying to say?

And Rummenigge is awesome, you can't change that ;)

The funniest thing was this season when Bayern couldn't handle Dortmund getting Reus :lol (Even though, from the litte I have seen of both, I think they have a better player in Shaqiri)

I think it's quite harsh of us to extend Berbatov's contact like that. But I know why it's been done and so will he. As I said the other day, we never should have paid the money we did for him, especially in light of our financial constraints, not sure you can call it a failed transfer but certainly one that didn't work out the way the management must have hoped it would.

Soi-Fong

Perhaps he wants both.

We don't need another striker. We already have Welbeck and Hernandez and both will be fighting for places if Kagawa comes and plays in the hole. It's not that i wasn't impressed by Lewandowski, but United just can't afford to spend money on every player the way City splashes out cash.

elsk

Banned
The funniest thing was this season when Bayern couldn't handle Dortmund getting Reus :lol (Even though, from the litte I have seen of both, I think they have a better player in Shaqiri)

They can offer him a starting spot, we can't. That's the difference.

Apparently on Sky, Lewandowski's agent confirmed Fergie's interest in the player.

Bayern also made an offer for him, he's not leaving this season.

I'm not talking about buying players. I'm talking about letting players leave when they're not getting play time.

And what's wrong in buying players on free transfer? I think that's better than buying mediocre british players for 30 pounds. Thanks to that we aren't in huge debt like Man U. And players in their last year of contract are obviously going to be sold for cheap, haha, don't get what are you trying to say?

This is silly.

Wilbur

Banned

I'm saying that, along with other people who have pointed out Berbatov will have agreed to the terms in his contract, that why wouldn't we try and get a fee back on someone we bought for 30m? It's a massive outlay that failed, but he's a good enough player that we will be able to get money for him.

Berbatov isn't British, so I don't know what that's about.
Not once did I criticise free transfers, but there's no point comparing a 30m pound player that we're trying to make some money back on to a free transfer.
You obviously know nothing about the debt situation at United.

They can offer him a starting spot, we can't. That's the difference.
Whatever the reason, the reaction from Bayern was a bit cringeworthy.

Apparently SAF was looking at Kagawa, Hummels and Lewandowski.
Forget Lewandowski, he's good but we don't need him. Hummels and Kagawa, yes plz.

But even then...the two biggest problems would continue lol. FWIW I don't think Hummels is leaving anytime soon, he's a bloody good player but he's gonna stay at Dortmund for a while. Kagawa...he seems dead certain to leave and wants to come to England. Unless City are involved I see no reason for us to not secure the deal.

Of course, I'm not saying ManU did something 'illegal'. I'm sure Berbatov would've expect to be playing by this time, but now he barely gets a match and still rather than letting him go to continue the last part of his career, Manchester United is trying to get money out of him.

Like any sane club would. If a decent offer comes in now, he'll move on and it'll probably be the right decision for everyone concerned: United will get a fee for a striker it doesn't play, Berbatov will get a fresh start and another club will get Berbasex. :'(

Clegg

You actually know nothing about Uniteds debt. United are in debt because the Glazers transferred the money they owed to the banks, onto Manchester United. The debt belonged to the Glazers and they piled it all onto Manchester United when they bought the club.

Did you know that Manchester United make more money than Bayern.

elsk

Banned
I'm saying that, along with other people who have pointed out Berbatov will have agreed to the terms in his contract, that why wouldn't we try and get a fee back on someone we bought for 30m? It's a massive outlay that failed, but he's a good enough player that we will be able to get money for him.

Berbatov isn't British, so I don't know what that's about.
Not once did I criticise free transfers, but there's no point comparing a 30m pound player that we're trying to make some money back on to a free transfer.
You obviously know nothing about the debt situation at United.

I don't get why you bring up the Klose buying and Rummenigge awesomeness in the first place.

I'm talking about letting players go when they aren't needed, and not trying to get money out of them despite they having 0% chances of being an important part of the team next season.

Klose, Luca Toni, Olic and a lot more players are an example of how a team like Bayern manages their players: like a family, not like a money maker instruments.

In the end I just said Manchester United way of managing the Berbatov case is unclassy. Can anyone denied it?

kharma45

Football is a business, United want to make money from selling Berba, there is no problem.

We've already told him he's allowed to leave this summer, we've just extended his contract to protect his value, nothing unclassy about that, just good business sense.

I don't get why you bring up the Klose buying and Rummenigge awesomeness in the first place.

I'm talking about letting players go when they aren't needed, and not trying to get money out of them despite they having 0% chances of being an important part of the team next season.

Klose, Luca Toni, Olic and a lot more players are an example of how a team like Bayern manages their players: like a family, not like a money maker instruments.
I commend Bayern on letting players go when they want to...but you should stop short of criticising United too harshly. You don't know the instances so I don't expect you to know, but if you really think MUFC don't treat their players like a family you are very very misguided.

The less we say about it from now the better, or else I can provide countless reports for you.

Edit - You're coming off like you're sitting a top a very high-horse BTW. Bayern are a fantastic club and I have immense respect for them, but even they have some dark days when they let themselves down.

Acidote

CHENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JbtqL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom