• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Whatever the reason, the reaction from Bayern was a bit cringeworthy.

Forget Lewandowski, he's good but we don't need him. Hummels and Kagawa, yes plz.

But even then...the two biggest problems would continue lol. FWIW I don't think Hummels is leaving anytime soon, he's a bloody good player but he's gonna stay at Dortmund for a while. Kagawa...he seems dead certain to leave and wants to come to England. Unless City are involved I see no reason for us to not secure the deal.

I'm still not 100% sure where the info came from but it's been mentioned that the agent of a Dortmund player is the person that thinks SAF was looking at Kagawa, Lewandowski and Hummels.

And I don't trust agent talk at all.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't get why you bring up the Klose buying and Rummenigge awesomeness in the first place.

I'm talking about letting players go when they aren't needed, and not trying to get money out of them despite they having 0% chances of being an important part of the team next season.

Klose, Luca Toni, Olic and a lot more players are an example of how a team like Bayern manages their players: like a family, not like a money maker instruments.

I'm bringing up the Klose buying and the others because it's relevant to the fact we spent 30m on a player and am trying to get money back from him. Why let him go for free when we can get 10m for him? It's bad business sense.

I would assume the reason why Klose, Toni and Olic are leaving for free is because there was no clause like there was in Berbatov's contract. If it worked out, great we have a player for an extra year. If it doesn't, exercise the clause anyway and sell him. I would put money on Bayern trying to get money out of the three you mentioned if they could exercise a unilateral clause.

Also what? Hahaha, the family stuff. You're a club that everyone else in Germany seems to hate; I'm not as informed as the Dortmund guys but I'm waiting for them to come in and drop some knowledge. Don't let them fool you, but all football clubs - especially the big ones - are about business.

Do I have the first exclusive image of Kermit after the victory?

NSFW

It's Meier on Instagram

nemesun

Do I have the first exclusive image of Kermit after the victory?

NSFW

DvFUO.gif
He did what I actually promised to do if we won against Chelsea. RESPECT

kharma45

Yeah, I don't see it has a 'problem' or something wrong. It's unclassy, nothing else.

:lol it's not unclassy in the slightest. It's nonsense to suggest it is, we've already told him we're letting him go this summer but we just want to get some money for him as any club would.

I'm talking about letting players go when they aren't needed, and not trying to get money out of them despite they having 0% chances of being an important part of the team next season.

Klose, Luca Toni, Olic and a lot more players are an example of how a team like Bayern manages their players: like a family, not like a money maker instruments.

In the end I just said Manchester United way of managing the Berbatov case is unclassy. Can anyone denied it?

If Klose, Toni or Olic and their agents had agreed to a clause allowing a unilateral option ahead of time, you don't think Bayern would have exercised it to guarantee a fee? I doubt Ferguson is trying to be cruel by exercising this option on Berbatov's contract. There's no doubt an offer will come in for a player of his calibre and it'll be up to him on whether he goes or stays. He could have forced his way out last summer or in January, but he obviously opted to stay and fight for his place in the squad. Unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out.

ATF487

I love this; the Lille/Montpellier stream I'm watching has no commentary, just crowd noise.

And here comes Liverpool legend Joey Cole!

elsk

Banned
I'm bringing up the Klose buying and the others because it's relevant to the fact we spent 30m on a player and am trying to get money back from him. Why let him go for free when we can get 10m for him? It's bad business sense.

I would assume the reason why Klose, Toni and Olic are leaving for free is because there was no clause like there was in Berbatov's contract. If it worked out, great we have a player for an extra year. If it doesn't, exercise the clause anyway and sell him. I would put money on Bayern trying to get money out of the three you mentioned if they could exercise a unilateral clause.

Also what? Hahaha, the family stuff. You're a club that everyone else in Germany seems to hate; I'm not as informed as the Dortmund guys but I'm waiting for them to come in and drop some knowledge. Don't let them fool you, but all football clubs - especially the big ones - are about business.

Well, if you spent 30m in a player is your problem for being stupid in the first place. Yeah, business wise is the right decision, but it's unclassy.

Nope, Olic is leaving because his contract is over. Klose could've been extended but the board didn't want because he wasn't been used and had a huge salary. Luca Toni was still on contract but we let him go for free anyway. And nope, the last time we sold a player for some money was Ballack (he wanted to leave) and Owen Hargreaves (haha). Since then we let everyone go for free or almost free if they're not needed. We surely don't use clause triggers on players wanting to leave.

You can say anything about Bayern, but they are like a family for the players. I doesn't relate to the way other fans see the team. So stop acting like an idiot about it.

I'm still not 100% sure where the info came from but it's been mentioned that the agent of a Dortmund player is the person that thinks SAF was looking at Kagawa, Lewandowski and Hummels.

And I don't trust agent talk at all.
Yeah I mean I don't know who started that story but I don't see us going after Lewandowski or Hummels. We don't really need either and we know they would cost alot of money.

Kagawa is the target.

They're about business but they are about family too. I don't know about Bayern but I can speak for United and there are more than enough accounts that suggest for the most part this club treats people in the right way and with respect...above and beyond what is needed.

Elsk can say whatever he likes about United or whoever else but he's foolish if he thinks one incident which he's judging quite harshly as it is is a reflection of an entire institute.

PaulLFC

I love this; the Lille/Montpellier stream I'm watching has no commentary, just crowd noise.

And here comes Liverpool legend Joey Cole!
Apparently he's been having quite a good season there, so hopefully when he's back someone will take him (and his massive wages) off us.

nemesun

Football is a business, United want to make money from selling Berba, there is no problem.

We've already told him he's allowed to leave this summer, we've just extended his contract to protect his value, nothing unclassy about that, just good business sense.

If that's the case, I hope if/when United force extend his contract by another he outright refuse to leave and enjoy that complimentary 90k a week for another year.

Rad-

If that's the case, I hope if/when United force extend his contract by another he outright refuse to leave and enjoy that complimentary 90k a week for another year.

That'll just mean United has a great backup striker for another year. Not seeing the problem here.

elsk

Banned
Elsk can say whatever he likes about United or whoever else but he's foolish if he thinks one incident which he's judging quite harshly as it is is a reflection of an entire institute.

Again man, I don't blame them for doing that. That's perfectly legal, but again:

elsk said:
Football is a business, United want to make money from selling Berba, there is no problem.

Yeah, I don't see it has a 'problem' or something wrong. It's unclassy, nothing else.

keit4

Banned
LOLOLOLOLOtina

The last year Deportivo got relegated because of him. This year, the same story, but different team. Sorry about the Villareal fans, but this is your president fault for sign useless coachs like him...

Wilbur

Banned
Well, if you spent 30m in a player is your problem for being stupid in the first place. Yeah, business wise is the right decision, but it's unclassy.

Nope, Olic is leaving because his contract is over. Klose could've been extended but the board didn't want because he wasn't been used and had a huge salary. Luca Toni was still on contract but we let him go for free anyway. And nope, the last time we sold a player for some money was Ballack (he wanted to leave) and Owen Hargreaves (haha). Since then we let everyone go for free or almost free if they're not needed.

You can say anything about Bayern, but they are like a family for the players. I doesn't relate to the way other fans see them. So stop acting like an idiot about it.

It's the right decision. And it's not unclassy. What I think is unclassy is your president saying it's a certainty that a player of another club is going to sign for them before any contract has been signed or any offer accepted.

I also find it unclassy that your president is saying he refuses to pay over this price for Klose, and perhaps pressuring Bremen into accepting an offer. But no, I don't think that; it's good business sense.

Olic is leaving because his contract is over and there's no clause exercised in his contract so they can get money out of a good player. Klose's contract wasn't because he had a huge salary and wasn't being used, therefore wasn't giving back on that salary (nothing to do with personal feelings). I would also say the fact that so many players leave for free is because you sign a million players and only use 20 of them.

What's odd is that you've jumped to the conclusion that United don't treat players like a family when there's countless stories of Fergie knowing every youth player's name, visiting every schoolboy who's going to sign a contract, knowing their parents names, things like that. So you've dismissed all that because you can't sign Berbatov on a free transfer.

Fry

Neymar just scored a beauty apparently (I missed it), Santos are champions.

I'll gif his goal in a couple of hours.

Elsk is thinking too simplistically about it and you raising this point proves it. His wages alone will cost us £4-£5m next year. If he is "forced" to stay, we are just going to waste £5m on a player SAF has already said is not part of the clubs future. Why would we do that? Both parties are obv. looking for the best mutual solution, Berbatov leaves and United make some money on him. If we force him to stay another year we will lose out too, quite significantly.

Again man, I don't blame them for doing that. That's perfectly legal, but again:
I don't mind that you think it's unclassy or whatever, that's fair enough, I can see why people would think that. Even I find it a bit uncomfortable.

Just think it's silly to take that incident and then say the club treats it's players like stocks in a company or something. That'd be like me using the Reus incident from before and saying "Bayern Munich are a bitter and sour club". They're not, there's more to that story and the club for the most part conducts itself perfectly in the transfer market.

Same with Berbatov and United.

kharma45

You keep saying unclassy like United has done something underhand when they clearly haven't.

So he gets a year older and will find it even harder to find a top club, makes sense.

Zabojnik

401695_422095481148627_129548890403289_1444588_1600404972_n.jpg

Luca Marrone with a shirt dedicated to Ricky and Ale, the two Juventus youths that passed away six years ago in a tragic accident (both drowned in a small lake at Vinovo, our training grounds :(() Grande Luca!

Man, was such a great day for footy on both sides of the pond :)

I just got back for the Phila. vs. NY MLS game...which we lost cause as usual in the MLS
NY and LA get all the love for the officials.

Henry didnt play guys so I didnt get any good pics, Rafa Marquez did tho..but he's a scumbag unworthy of picture taking :)

Our best player (Freddy Adu) caught a red for diving (well, second yellow) for diving...
Clear example the MLS has some of the worse officiating staff in the world of soccer

Heres the "dive" what do you guys think?
http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-13-phi-v-ny/highlights?videoID=185611

elsk

Banned
I would also say the fact that so many players leave for free is because you sign a million players and only use 20 of them.

Haha, oh man. We don't even have the number of players to fill the bench sometimes.
We have like half the squad you guys have.

Ours is the smallest squad among all the top clubs. You don't know a thing about Bayern.

RM Castilla won the 3rd division, so Villarreal vs Castilla next season (as someone mentioned, sucks for Villarreal B).

Oh, and Deportivo will be back next season.

Promotion for Castilla is not confirmed yet.

The 4 winners of the 4 groups in Segunda B (Cadiz, Castilla and two more that I don't remember) will play matches (picked by draw) to decide on the single Segunda B champion. The top two are promoted automatically. The losing two will enter into a play-off with the teams placed 2-4 in each group Segunda B group.

nemesun

Elsk is thinking too simplistically about it and you raising this point proves it. His wages alone will cost us £4-£5m next year. If he is "forced" to stay, we are just going to waste £5m on a player SAF has already said is not part of the clubs future. Why would we do that? Both parties are obv. looking for the best mutual solution, Berbatov leaves and United make some money on him. If we force him to stay another year we will lose out too, quite significantly.

Ditto.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Man, was such a great day for footy on both sides of the pond :)

I just got back for the Phila. vs. NY MLS game...which we lost cause as usual in the MLS
NY and LA get all the love for the officials.

Henry didnt play guys so I didnt get any good pics, Rafa Marquez did tho..but he's a scumbag unworthy of picture taking :)

Our best player (Freddy Adu) caught a red for diving (well, second yellow) for diving...
Clear example the MLS has some of the worse officiating staff in the world of soccer

Heres the "dive" what do you guys think?
http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-13-phi-v-ny/highlights?videoID=185611

I'm a Red Bulls supporter and I didn't think it was a dive, he was trying to avoid McCarty's leg. I took a nap after you guys scored in the first minute of the 2nd half, so I was surprised to hear the TV saying that we won!

Clegg

Haha, oh man. We don't even have the number of players to fill the bench sometimes.

Ours is the smallest squad among all the top clubs. You don't know a thing about Bayern.

And you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

elsk

Banned
And wow at anybody saying Rummenigge is unclassy. Look at his unclassy speech after the match vs. Dortmund:

Ladies and gentlemen, honoured guests,

Even at this late hour, may I warmly greet you on behalf of FC Bayern to Telekom headquarters in the capital. I would very much like to thank our hosts, Deutsche Telekom, for once again making available this wonderful location. Unfortunately, it’s a new experience today: whenever we've been here in the past, we came here as winners, but not today, unfortunately. (…)

Naturally, no-one sitting here has enjoyed the evening. One can adopt a more benevolent or a less benevolent point of view. My coaching father-figure Dettmar Cramer advised me always to offer an honest opinion on evenings like this, even when it hurts. This is what I wish to do, because I believe we must learn the right lessons from this match. A 5–2 defeat doesn't happen by chance, and it's not unlucky either. We have to say it loud and clear: what we've been through this evening was a disgrace. Every Dortmund goal – there were five of them – is like a slap in the face.

However, I don't intend to be overcritical of the team, because my opinion is that it was a deserved win for Borussia Dortmund. For the time being, we must accept and respect that there is a team in Germany above us, better than us at the national level. They didn't become German champions by chance, and with today's cup victory, they've also won the double for the first time. We must respect and accept this, and simply seek to correct the situation in the near future.

We have a very important game next Saturday, the Champions League final. And I believe everyone here must be prepared to ask himself critical questions: Why? How? What happened this evening to cause us to lose this match in the way we did, and by this score? Only then do we have a chance next Saturday of finishing up with this one trophy, arguably the most important in club football.

The Champions League is a magnificent experience. I think it would be a mistake if we summarise this evening by saying we basically weren't too bad in the first half, but made unbelievable individual errors which led to goals – although we did. But I believe we must ask critical questions and immediately correct the damage we've done to ourselves. I'd sincerely request the team does this, and I basically demand passion, desire and aggression next Saturday.

I beg us not to underestimate Chelsea, even though they will be lacking important players. (…) They're not coming to Munich purely to take part in a Bavarian festival staged by Bayern Munich. They will be attempting to remedy a season which has not gone well from their point of view. I hope we learn the right lessons from today's match, so that next Saturday evening, we're happier, more satisfied and also more proud than we are this evening.

And you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I think I know how many players we have in our squad, sorry!

Manager

I gotta tell you guys. I've felt generally bad for various reasons in the last couple of years, but now that I'm sitting here, with the first real (FAN) title in my whole life, I can't stop being amazed by the sport we all follow.

I'd love to give this feeling to everyone who has never won a title. I know a lot of United, Arsenal, Juventus, Barca, Real fans agree with me. But winning a title is something special. I can't explain it.

All I know is that I'm really happy. Some might think "douche" when they read this, but I'd genionuly like to share this feeling with all of you.

Thanks for a fantastic Premier League year. IDK what more to say, but I'm so glad for this hobby I have. Even watching Real Madrid celebrating the title (a club I don't support, I'm just amazed of all the feelings you can have for something that your hundreds of miles away from.

Wilbur

Banned

I count 24 players on Wikipedia's squad list. I assume you also have a B team.

rififi

They still have to win a play-off to finally promote. (and it's 2ª B, not third :p)

Promotion for Castilla is not confirmed yet.

The 4 winners of the 4 groups in Segunda B (Cadiz, Castilla and two more that I don't remember) will play matches (picked by draw) to decide on the single Segunda B champion. The top two are promoted automatically. The losing two will enter into a play-off with the teams placed 2-4 in each group Segunda B group.

Oops, I forgot about the playoffs. I don't exactly follow lower divisions very well :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom