• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

City's owner knows how to throw a parteeeeh

jbfxOQL7qvVqSl.jpg

10 min after full time (it was posted before). The guy in red is highest responsible of all Abu Dhabi oil, the net fortune among those guys on the picture is endless.

Afterwards:
jbeKTizfNRWqbx.jpg

jnmiWsBJkfnGy.jpg

jku1lKF57z6wu.jpg

521516_10151594842512588_197911157587_11884780_1104130262_n.jpg

SHARJAH: His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, on Monday congratulated Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Presidential Affairs, on Manchester City winning the English Premier League title. Sheikh Sultan wished the Manchester City Football Club more victories in the fututre.

His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Fujairah on Monday congratulated Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs, on the winning of Manchester City of the English Premier League Title for this season.

His Highness Sheikh Humaid Bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ajman also congratulated Sheikh Mansour on the winning of Manchester City of the English Premier League.

Sheikh Humaid wished the Manchester City Football Club more victories and sports achievements.

Sheikh Ahmed Bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah, Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammed Bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah and Sheikh Abdullah Bin Salem Bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah also congratulated Sheikh Mansour on the victory and lauded Sheikh Mansour for grooming the club qualitatively which led to the winning of the title.

Sheikh Ammar Bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Crown Prince of Ajman, also congratulated Sheikh Mansour on the winning of Manchester City of the title. He also hailed Sheikh Mansour for the qualitative leap, the club made that contributed in clinching the Title.Sheikh Mohammed Bin Hamad Bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, Crown Prince of Fujairah also congratulated Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan on the victory and lauded the great achievements of Manchester City team under his leadership.Manchester City scored a dramatic win over Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

Slizz

So apparently the week before the AC Milan Chelsea game in Miami this is happening:

Barcelona’s Lionel Messi will finally play at Sun Life Stadium, taking the turf with several famous players for a June exhibition.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/13/2796810/fc-barcelona-star-lionel-messi.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Messi, Forlan, Drogba, Dani Alves, Cavani and others to be named in an open actual 11 on 11.

Sounds fucking awesome.

BTW Article is poorly written I'm embarrassed to be associated with it.

Arnie

Martinez would be a stupid decision. His career trajectory should go Wigan > Villa > Liverpool if anything. He's a good manager but he hasn't proved able to sustain a teams form for a whole year, so why a club like Liverpool would want him is beyond me

Spot on.

Talk of Martinez to Liverpool is absurd, and if it happens I'll be livid.

dc89

The crown prince of Cheadle and Gatley, Bryan Smith, said, "Get fucked Baconface!! Take it, take it, take it! And there`s plenty more where that came from!"

All hail HRH Bryan. I live in Cheadle BTW.

Clegg

The Premier League held its 20th anniversary award ceremony and Ryan Giggs has been named the greatest Premier League player over the last 20 years and SAF has been named the best manager.

Az

Man, I would love to hang with the Sheikh. Just chillin, shootin the shit, lighting cake candles with $100 bills.

Wilbur

Banned
I think thats harsh wilbury

Martinez cared, his team didn't. Every single year Wigan does not give a single fuck until relegation battle time

then they pull their finger out

its ridiculous. I doubt thats the manager

I like Martinez a great deal, but the fact they only pull their finger out at the end of the season can be attributed to a) their own stupidity (in which case Martinez has forged a team of dumb characters or b) the manager doesn't make them put in the effort until the end. I'll give Martinez massive props for pulling them through on the end because he deserves it, but if that's the case he also deserves flak for the dire form for the first two thirds of the season. He acknowledged his own mistakes and changed the formation. No way he's ready for a club as big as Liverpool yet.

Mastadon

Banned
I like Martinez a great deal, but the fact they only pull their finger out at the end of the season can be attributed to a) their own stupidity (in which case Martinez has forged a team of dumb characters or b) the manager doesn't make them put in the effort until the end. I'll give Martinez massive props for pulling them through on the end because he deserves it, but if that's the case he also deserves flak for the dire form for the first two thirds of the season. He acknowledged his own mistakes and changed the formation. No way he's ready for a club as big as Liverpool yet.

Wilbury talking sense as always. It just feels a bit like it did when we hired Hodgeson. Managers who are successful with relegation candidates and lower-mid table teams aren't necessarily going to cut it at a club with the ambitions Liverpool have. It's a completely different skill set.

Is kenny gone?

Not confirmed, but probably.

With good personnel and decent backing, I think Martinez could surprise a lot of people.

DYUa1.jpg

He looks thrilled.

If there's a United player you'd want at your back in a fight, it's Tony V. (Or Vidic.) Tough as nails.

How reliable is Kicker Germany-GAF?

They say Shinji's agent is in Manchester today.

Pull the trigger, Fergie! We've got a good squad but we need to sign players that improve our first XI this summer and Kagawa would be a great start.

Otherwise, signing Lewandowski too would turn Chicharito into the next Berbabenched. Probably media nonsense or a back-up target in case we miss out on Kagawa and need to stick with the 4-4-2.

danwarb

They should stick with Kenny for another season and just hire a new DoF and shake up the coaching staff. I doubt they'll let him go just yet anyway.

rififi

Oh and also...on Nasri...sure that was a pretty classless and unnecessary jab at Arsenal, but considering some of the abuse he gets it's really that surprising that he's having a pop back.

Lol, this makes me happy that he is still so butthurt by the remarks made by Arsenal fans.

MexicoGAF: Apparently Carlos Vela and Andrés Guardado are both prospects for Valencia next season. Yay?

Guardado? I'm surprised by this because he could have gone to another club last year when Deportivo were relegated. Now that Deportivo are back, I don't know why he would move - but he would make an excellent signing for Valencia (until Valencia have to sell him to pay off their debt).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Surprised Guardado is still at Deportivo, he's class. Good to see he stayed to get them promoted though.
Best Mexican player on the planet. The guy is amazing and he's not a twat like Vela.
Guardado? I'm surprised by this because he could have gone to another club last year when Deportivo were relegated. Now that Deportivo are back, I don't know why he would move - but he would make an excellent signing for Valencia (until Valencia have to sell him to pay off their debt).
Guardado has always wanted to play in the Champions; he only stayed with Deportivo because he felt he owed the fans something after the injury-prone 2010-2011 season. He a great guy.

Clegg

David Gill was interviewed by Sky Sports today.

He was asked about Shinji Kagawa and he didn't outright deny that United were interested in him.

Arnie

Look, if FSG have a top tier manager lined up then I'll be honest and say parting ways might perhaps be best for the club. Despite what many ignorant people like to believe these last 18 months under Kenny have been far superior to that of Hodgson, in both football played, matches won and trophies earned. These last 18 games have been pretty dire though.

I think the amount of incompetent signings made has unfortunately cost FSG patience though, and perhaps rightly so. We've spunked far too money up the wall and stalled any attempt at progress for at least another season.

If FSG are preparing for Kenny's exit with a manager like Martinez lined up though I'll be furious. I've had enough of taking outlandish punts and hoping for the best. Martinez is a punt. Hodgson was a punt. Carroll was a punt.

A manager like Rafa isn't a punt, it's a decision based on ability. As is signing Mata over Downing.

David Gill was interviewed by Sky Sports today.

He was asked about Shinji Kagawa and he didn't outright deny that United were interested in him.
You've hit Nasday levels of OCD over this Kagawa rumour. It might well happen, if it does it'll probably be a few weeks yet. Chill.

Clegg

Premier League Best ever 11 as voted by the public.

Schmeichel

G. Neville
Vidic
Adams
Cole

Ronaldo
Gerrard
Scholes
Giggs

Henry
Shearer

Premier League Best 11 as chosen by experts.

Schmeichel

G.Neville
Ferdinand
Adams
Cole

Ronaldo
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Henry
Shearer

Status