• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Premier League Best ever 11 as voted by the public.

Schmeichel

G. Neville
Vidic
Adams
Cole

Ronaldo
Gerrard
Scholes
Giggs

Henry
Shearer

Premier League Best 11 as chosen by experts.

Schmeichel

G.Neville
Ferdinand
Adams
Cole

Ronaldo
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Henry
Shearer

Nearly unanimous. Impossible to disagree with the striker choices.

Clegg

L
You've hit Nasday levels of OCD over this Kagawa rumour. It might well happen, if it does it'll probably be a few weeks yet. Chill.

Would you believe that I've already gotten over the Kagawa transfer stuff.

I'm just bored out of my mind right now. Finished my uni exams but mates still aren't finished theirs. So I have nothing to do until they're finished.

I'm doing this out of boredom more than anything else.

dc89

Indeed...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

---

Philip Beard, Chief-Exec of QPR on SSN:

"I'm going from here straight to the training ground to meet with Mark Hughes and the owners... Of course we will be discussing individual players and on the agenda is social media and how players use it."

Barton to be banned from Twitter by his own club, he'll rebel anyway and then he'll be out the door!

Clegg

Was an excellent episode. Love Ygritte's casting, it's fucking perfect. She captures that 'hot, but she shouldn't be' vibe.

Oh and Clegg I'm on ADWD now and I'm loving it.

Some people don't like ADWD because it moves too slowly. I can't agree with them though. I think it's a fantastic book.

Your only problem will be when you finish it. You'll then have to endure the wait for the next book. I think it's going to be another 4 years until we see the next one.

Mastadon

Banned
Was an excellent episode. Love Ygritte's casting, it's fucking perfect. She captures that 'hot, but she shouldn't be' vibe.

Oh and Clegg I'm on ADWD now and I'm loving it.

I'm about 20% through AFFC and struggling to grind through it. Nice to hear its worth sticking with.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
http://www.maillotsdesport.fr/images/stories/maillots-2012-2013/maillot-psg-paris-saint-germain-2012-2013-domicile-home-nike.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
IS IT OUR TURN YET?
[quote="dc89, post: 37892761"]WTF...

Game of Thrones!!

W...T...F...[/QUOTE]
I was actually rolling my eyes haha [spoiler]It's the two orphans[/spoiler]

But it's still fucked up. [spoiler] He IS truly lost.[/spoiler]

Arnie

Some people don't like ADWD because it moves too slowly. I can't agree with them though. I think it's a fantastic book.

Your only problem will be when you finish it. You'll then have to endure the wait for the next book. I think it's going to be another 4 years until we see the next one.

I think it's moving at an excellent pace. Probably just because I enjoy all of the characters, something I've not been able to say for the rest of the books necessarily. I've heard the last chapter/paragraph will send me through the roof with excitement/bafflement.

Can't wait. Which is ironic because once I've read it all I'll be doing is waiting.

I'm about 20% through AFFC and struggling to grind through it. Nice to hear its worth sticking with.
I enjoyed the change of pace in AFFC, especially after the second half of SOS.

I think ADWD is pretty brilliant so far, 300 pages in. Probably my second favourite after SOS at the minute.

elseanio

BREAKING LIVERPOOL NEWS

Liverpool FC ‏ @LFC
Don’t forget tomorrow is Big Red Wednesday, 2-4-1 on pizza’s and Cocktails at the Boot Room Cheshire Oaks and Anfield. #LFCBootRoomCafe

Clegg

I think it's moving at an excellent pace. Probably just because I enjoy all of the characters, something I've not been able to say for the rest of the books necessarily. I've heard the last chapter/paragraph will send me through the roof with excitement/bafflement.

Can't wait. Which is ironic because once I've read it all I'll be doing is waiting.

Oh it definitely will.

WJD

Can't wait till exams are over and I can finally delve into Game of Thrones. Then I can actually watch the TV show without it getting spoiled.

Clegg

David de Gea has been called up to the Spainish squad for their friendlies before the Euros.

Congrats to him for the good job he did this season. I hope he gets some minutes on the pitch for Spain.

Zabojnik

Help me Yurt, I can't stop watching that Verratti video on YouTube. V...VERRATTIMANIAAAAAA!!!

EDIT: Loving the GoT tv-series, but they really should pick a solid director and stick with him. The directing is really inconsistent. Other than that I have no major complaints, the changes from the books have been to my satisfaction.

Zabojnik

The joinjuve one? :p

I have it on loop.

Yep. :) Looks like it's a done deal. I don't know what would be better: to buy him and get him on the first plane to Turin or hope that Pescara makes it to Serie A and leave him there for another year, so he can play for his hometown. I feel the latter might be a better idea, as much as I'd like nothing more that to see him wear the fabulous pink jersey next season.

Help me Yurt, I can't stop watching that Verratti video on YouTube. V...VERRATTIMANIAAAAAA!!!

We all know where he will end up

q7ZCc.png

Awww yeah, and two assists in his first match

r5Yx6.jpg

David de Gea has been called up to the Spainish squad for their friendlies before the Euros.

Congrats to him for the good job he did this season. I hope he gets some minutes on the pitch for Spain.

Should have called up Almunia instead imo.

Wilbur

Banned

Great for him but I doubt he'll get any ahead of Casillas/Reina/Valdes. Spain have some great keepers

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yep. :) Looks like it's a done deal. I don't know what would be better: to buy him and get him on the first plane to Turin or hope that Pescara makes it to Serie A and leave him there for another year, so he can play for his hometown. I feel the latter might be a better idea, as much as I'd like nothing more that to see him wear the fabulous pink jersey next season.

Alright but let's buy half of him at least
8PBQl.gif
8PBQl.gif

edit: Btw, Chiellini 3 mins ago! "Per fortuna l'infortunio all'adduttore è meno grave del previsto, rientrerò tra circa 3 settimane..."

:( :( :(

Carbonox

Read an interesting article on whether or not Mike Ashley should stick or twist with the current Newcastle squad. Kinda opened my eyes a bit as well.

The general idea is whether or not the Newcastle squad should be changed. Now three things can happen:

1. We keep the same squad. Unless new and bang tidy tactics are applied, we ain't gonna step up to the next level. Heck, we may very well fall a few levels as other teams boost their squads and move up. Especially with our shallow defence and dodgy performances in that area at times.

2. We simply fix our defence up with better players. This is going to happen either way. That should hopefully mean better goal differences and overall, better results that go in our favour. We know our attacking strength is potent and there for all the world to see. We sell Danny Simpson in the summer and replace him with Mathieu Debuchy, then we drop Williamson to the bench and bring in Douglas or Steven Taylor if he's fit (he and Coloccini were fucking brilliant before the injury, and I think we could have finished in the top 3 had Taylor remained all season). Keep the midfield and strikers as they are and go to town on the league.

3. We do the above with our defence but we also tinker with our midfield/strike force. We sell Tiote for big bucks and we sell Ba. Ba still contributes well to our play but he is not a winger whatsoever when we play 4-5-1. 4-4-2 is shit for us now too, plus he doesn't work well with Cisse. So, we replace Ba with an actual winger. Maybe even bring Marveaux in to the first team as he's a class act. We play Gutierrez as the holding midfielder and have Cabaye and a new CM playing in front. Sigurdsson would be quality. This gives our team a new dimension, especially attacking-wise and wing-wise. Then we just fill in the rest of the underbelly of the squad with squad players and youngsters. We will need a new striker too for the bench.

Krul

Debuchy
Coloccini
Taylor/Douglas
Santon

Ben Arfa
Gutierrez
Cabaye
Sigurdsson
Marveaux

Cisse

EUROPA LEAGUE TROPHY GET.

LegoArmo

Is this going to end up like before Newcastle got relegated when all their fans had expectations far higher than they ever should have been? Pardew sacked half way through the season when you're "only" 8th?

I hope not, but I always get the feeling that Newcastle are like a rollercoaster, that will never quite reach the highest heights.

Carbonox

Is this going to end up like before Newcastle got relegated when all their fans had expectations far higher than they ever should have been? Pardew sacked half way through the season when you're "only" 8th?

I hope not, but I always get the feeling that Newcastle are like a rollercoaster, that will never quite reach the highest heights.

I wouldn't be surprised if all that bad shit happens. Every season something entertaining happens, good or bad. Part of why being a Newcastle supporter is the best. :p

Messi

What's the story behind this?

Looks pretty snazzy, how is Maxwell doing there? Sad he left barca but I understand why.

You never know on gaf. Not that long ago someone spoiled the formula 1 race in this thread.

That was a dick move, I remember that.

Well deserved. Had a better season than Reina and I assume he will be 3rd choice after Iker and Valdes?

dc89

Some people on Twitter are starting to say Hazard to City is done.

Well I expect City to do the buying early on this season. Mancini was truly pissed last year when Nasri arrived in August, he wanted him in time for the pre-season tour.

---
Messi, Piers bet Nasri that Arsenal would win a trophy before he did at City, the bet £10k to go to charity.

Zabojnik

Alright but let's buy half of him at least
8PBQl.gif
8PBQl.gif

Nah, let us buy him in full and be done with it. No more Giovinco crap, please. Speaking of which ... his agent is spinning the same old shit. He'll only go if he can play as a SS, you can't ask him to be useful in a defensive role, bla, bla, bla. Who the fuck does he think he is? Seriously. If he would have been willing to play outside of his natural position, like Marchisio did for three years, and kept his mouth shut when it was time to warm the bench, like De Ceglie did, he'd be celebrating the scudetto with us instead of a late salvation with Parma.

If that's how it's going to be, then fuck you, Giovinco. You can stay where you are.

elsk

Banned
As for Usami, I think he was brought to give Bayern the same effect that Kagawa had on Dortmund. He did score few goals in Bayern B team, and he could devolop to be something great, but he was rushed too fast into big team and In Japan, he never had the same prospect that Kagawa had when he played for that Osaka team. Lets wait and see he devolop for Hoffenheim, but I can see him being a flop.

Well, I believe LvG was the first to notice him in the 10/11 season but his team didn't allow him to join us back then. I think he'll be a great player in the future.

Can any Bayern fans let me know if Muller has been doing well since 2010 world cup? Would really like to see that type of player at united as it looks like we won't get Hazard, but Kagawa and another midfilder..

I last saw him come off the bench against Madrid, I don't know if he's been injured or just had a look in

Mueller was amazing in the 09/10, great in the 10/11 (the whole team was bad in this season). This season he has been benched because Kroos is the favorite kid of Jupp. He's out of form, but still he made 9 goals and 8 assists so far in the season. But if you think Bayern if going to sell Thomas Muller, you're mad :p... even Guardiola wanted him after the WC.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Adidas is all in"

tommy-lee-jones-newspaper-e6d4f.jpg

Nah, let us buy him in full and be done with it. No more Giovinco crap, please. Speaking of which ... his agent is spinning the same old shit. He'll only go if he can play as a SS, you can't ask him to be useful in a defensive role, bla, bla, bla. Who the fuck does he think he is? Seriously. If he would have been willing to play outside of his natural position, like Marchisio did for three years, and kept his mouth shut when it was time to warm the bench like De Ceglie, he'd be celebrating the scudetto with us right now instead of a late salvation with Parma.

If that's how it's going to be, then fuck you, Giovinco. You can stay where you are.

Seriously, can we legally get away with sewing his mouth shut?

An SS in a 3-5-2? That's Parma's formation already, I'm okay with that. Gio + a new striker won't be the worst thing in the world. (worst thing in the world being..Borriello+Vucinic)

He doesn't want to defend? Let's hope Elia* bought an extra Xbox360 controller then!

*Definitely not staying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom