• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenka

I wouldn't know about that, I didn't watch much of Juve this season. But Juve-GAF's appreciation of him seemed positive during the season. :D

You're swiss, right?
Yes.
And Lichtsteiner is not really good in the national team. I hoped that Werder Bremen's Affolter blossoming could make him pull his fingers out of his butt while playing for Switzerland but nope.

Carbonox

as7oqe_ceaemx1t7rruk9.jpg

It begins.

I only care about one game at E3 - this. E3 is next month so I guess that's an extra thing to pass time away given the lack of football until the Euros/Olympics.

Tom Collomosse ‏ @TomCStandard
Remy: Spurs in pole, but he's keen to see CL Final result before deciding next move. Interest from Italy. Personal terms no problem #thfc

I don't know much about Remy. Seems like a worse version of Henry though. Good signing?

Carbonox

So Remy's decision hinges on if Spurs are in the Champion's League or not? I swear Vertonghen also said he wants to play for a Champion's League team. Could he do the same thing?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Alberto Aquilani fell just one substitute appearance short of triggering a permanent move from #LFC to AC Milan. (24.5 / 25)"

You got gold-tie'd.

His agent : "Alberto wants to stay in Milan, but he has two years left on his Liverpool contract and we’ll need to see what they think about it."

Yes.
And Lichtsteiner is not really good in the national team. I hoped that Werder Bremen's Affolter blossoming could make him pull his fingers out of his butt while playing for Switzerland but nope.

HEY he can put his fingers wherever he wants as long as he performs for us :p

SHIT is turning nasty!

Nasri quotes:

People at Arsenal tried to make out that I came here for the money," Nasri told French TV station TF1. "I hope they are watching me now collecting my Premier League winner's medal.

"I believe they have not won a trophy for many seasons now.

"If all that I was interested in was money, the easiest decision would have been to stay at Arsenal, picking up my money every week and walking into the team.

"There are many people doing this right now at Arsenal.

"I made the hard choice to come and fight for my place at a big club, where they never settle for second best, and I have proved it correct.

"I now hope the Arsenal fans can get on with their lives and forget me, they should celebrate their third-place achievement and I will focus on winning titles."

What a massive turd. The dig at his old team mates is just uncalled for. Why can't footballers just keep their mouths shut when it comes to former clubs?

Plasma

Banned
Pretty sure Arsenal fans are still laughing at you, Samir.

Quite certain they still think you're a jumped-up little cockend.

Heh pretty much, you don't see Arsenal fans having a pop at Clichy or Toure because they joined Man City, it's stuff like those quotes that make us dislike him.

Same with Adebayor really, I was actually fairly pleased with the 25m we got for him, it was his comments afterwards, the way he acted when he scored against us at Man City and joining Spurs that made me really not like him. Then again I was never too fond of him when he was at Arsenal either always seemed pretty lazy, I will always remember that CL Semi Final against United where he just jogged around like it was a friendly.

Empty

it wasn't as bad seeing city win when kompany and aguero were in the spotlight, they're top professionals and seem like really cool guys, but tevez and nasri are such shits and i hate to see them winning.

choodi

Banned
Is it just me who thinks UEFA could be lenient on any clubs that do end up breaching FFP rules? I don't know, maybe they will enforce the rules - I certainly hope they do - but I just wonder if they'll actually go through with banning teams from the Champions League.

UEFA will only be lenient if Barcelona fall foul of the FFP rules.

I'll probably get pilloried for this, but if ANY English clubs don't adhere to the FFP rules, they WILL be banned. No doubt in my mind.

pappe

UEFA will only be lenient if Barcelona fall foul of the FFP rules.

I'll probably get pilloried for this, but if ANY English clubs don't adhere to the FFP rules, they WILL be banned. No doubt in my mind.

If any team that is not Barca, Real , United, Chelsea, Juve, Milan Arsenal fall foul of FFP rules. They WILL be banned.

dc89

Nasri was a passenger with City.

Kinda like Michael Owen :p

He was more effective at the end of the season. He played an important role!

What happened to City and their self-sponsorship? I'm not stirring, just genuinely interested.

Well what can happen?! City are not the only club with sponsors who are owned/part-owned by the owner of the club.

Nike trolling unbelievably hard.

I'd feel like a dickhead wearing that to bed.

I am shit scared over what they will do to City shirts in a couple of seasons time. I also hate how the GK jersey is like a universal design for pretty much all the teams, bar colour way.

Umbro fo' life!

Can any Bayern fans let me know if Muller has been doing well since 2010 world cup? Would really like to see that type of player at united as it looks like we won't get Hazard, but Kagawa and another midfilder..

I last saw him come off the bench against Madrid, I don't know if he's been injured or just had a look in

pappe

He was more effective at the end of the season. He played an important role!

In the last 2 matches against Newcastle and QPR, City scored when Nasri had been subbed off and Yaya had taken his place in the formation. Yaya is much much much better in Nasri's position.

faridmon

seems like usami is going to hoffenheim

On a permanant basis? I don't know if my friends (who actually played against him in a junior league) are happy or not. BUt they all say he is overrated and won't be as good as Kagawa or Nagatomo. Hell, even Miyaichi is considered better than him.

dc89

In the last 2 matches against Newcastle and QPR, City scored when Nasri had been subbed off and Yaya had taken his place in the formation. Yaya is much much much better in Nasri's position.

Fair point. But he has been a useful player this season, more assists this season than his entire time at Arsenal, and he scored some important goals too. Maybe he will be more settled next season and we get a good campaign out of him. Who knows.

If Dalglish leaves Liverpool I'm gonna go with Rodgers or Martinez to replace him. I'm not even on the wind up either.

Arnie

If he has been sacked then FSG better have a suitable replacement. If it's Martinez then they can fuck right off. I want to a manager who's a proven winner at the highest level, not someone who's praised by people for dodging relegation every season.

pappe

Fair point. But he has been a useful player this season, more assists this season than his entire time at Arsenal, and he scored some important goals too. Maybe he will be more settled next season and we get a good campaign out of him. Who knows.

If Dalglish leaves Liverpool I'm gonna go with Rodgers or Martinez to replace him. I'm not even on the wind up either.

You mean the 6 months he actually played in their first team when Cesc was injured?

Anyways when City sign Hazard i doubt Nasri will get any playing time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Supposed Arsenal away kit:

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/arsenal-12-13-nike-away-football-shirt-leaked-b.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.footballshirtculture.com/12/13-kits/arsenal-2012-2013-nike-away-football-shirt-leaked.html[/url]

What an abomination.[/QUOTE]

This whole black and blue new trend is fucking terrible!

edit: Alright, close to blue.

[quote="dc89, post: 37889170"]He was more effective at the end of the season. He played an important role!
[/QUOTE]
I'm not very fond of him. :p

[spoiler]Understatement[/spoiler]

Manager

You mean the 6 months he actually played in their first team when Cesc was injured?

Anyways when City sign Hazard i doubt Nasri will get any playing time.

If either Nasri and Silva is injured City has literally no cover on the wings atm, besides Adam Johnson who can't play 90 minutes.

With Hazard those three can rotate, City will play a lot of matches next season.

vall03

ugh... what the fuck happened here?!

On a permanant basis? I don't know if my friends (who actually played against him in a junior league) are happy or not. BUt they all say he is overrated and won't be as good as Kagawa or Nagatomo. Hell, even Miyaichi is considered better than him.

I think it was only on loan, not sure though. But its surprising that people consider him overrated since I heard a lot of praise about him when he joined Bayern. Speaking of Miyaichi, I wonder if he will get more chances in Arsenal next season, but considering Wenger and Oxs playtime, I don't know what to expect.

Plasma

Banned
Do you think that they're trying to make our away kit look even worse than our home kit on purpose so that we go out and buy that instead.

kharma45

Liverpool have declined to comment on the future of manager Kenny Dalglish, amid rumours the Scot could be set to part company with the club.

Well what can happen?! City are not the only club with sponsors who are owned/part-owned by the owner of the club.

I wouldn't operate under the assumption that UEFA will be unable to act because there are too many clubs breaking the same rule. Personally I think City will be OK because they've arranged it in a very clever manner. I was just wondering what had happened since the whole fuss broke out last year - as far as I can tell, nothing.

Wilbur

Banned
Liverpool have declined to comment on the future of manager Kenny Dalglish, amid rumours the Scot could be set to part company with the club.

I think that means he's gone

qaxWQ.jpg

I even found a model with the traditional Arsenal physique.

Ramsey?

Juve challenging City for Van Persie signature[Italian]

Not going to happen, never, nope, not in a million years.

But imagine if it did!

I'm sure Arsenal fans would much rather he went to Juve than City, Madrid or Barca

Wilbur

Banned
Also when the Kean video broke I didn't see it on any news sites so sent it to a few Guardian writers on Twitter, and Sid Lowe favourited my tweet. It's like we're together now

In that case, I decline to comment on swirling speculation that I am fucking amazing.

UsiJl.gif

Manager

I wouldn't operate under the assumption that UEFA will be unable to act because there are too many clubs breaking the same rule. Personally I think City will be OK because they've arranged it in a very clever manner. I was just wondering what had happened since the whole fuss broke out last year - as far as I can tell, nothing.

It was judged OK by some around Fifa, then suddenly European Court-something started talking about it a couple months ago, that it broke some European law.

pappe

In that case, I decline to comment on swirling speculation that I am fucking amazing.

Think you're right. Is there any obvious caretaker at Liverpool if they don't have a replacement straight away ?

They better have a replacement before sacking him. Spending majority of the transfer window without a manager and therefore without any/wrong transfer targets would be a colossal mistake.

So Remy's decision hinges on if Spurs are in the Champion's League or not? I swear Vertonghen also said he wants to play for a Champion's League team. Could he do the same thing?

That's not technically what he said, but you could make that assumption. Consider though that Marseille finished 10th and they want to sell him to help rebuild their squad. I think Vertonghen wants to join us anyway. but I hope our chairman can agree a deal with Ajax before the CL final just in case!

faridmon

I think it was only on loan, not sure though. But its surprising that people consider him overrated since I heard a lot of praise about him when he joined Bayern. Speaking of Miyaichi, I wonder if he will get more chances in Arsenal next season, but considering Wenger and Oxs playtime, I don't know what to expect.

Miyachi played decently for Bolton before his injury and would suit Arsenal in the sense of cutting inside from the wing ala Robben. Oxs and Walcott are very similiar in terms of platstyle as both of them play as natural winger with crosses and rushing the flanks with speed - As far as I know- I think Miyaichi would give Arsenal another dimension. He is fast and plays similiar to Pinaar and would allow Van Persie to move freely in the box.

I think, if Wenger brings him back, that he would use him a bit more regulerly, but agains he is very young. Also, he could devolop furthure at Bolton.
Or we could take him of you you Arsenal

As for Usami, I think he was brought to give Bayern the same effect that Kagawa had on Dortmund. He did score few goals in Bayern B team, and he could devolop to be something great, but he was rushed too fast into big team and In Japan, he never had the same prospect that Kagawa had when he played for that Osaka team. Lets wait and see he devolop for Hoffenheim, but I can see him being a flop.

I get the feeling SAF has been preoccupied by the League and stuff and hasnt really paid attention to Pogba's case. Now that he is free for a while he might sit down with this boy and knock some sense into him and probably send him out for a loan to a PL club for 6 months and bring him back when we are struggling with injuries next season and need a solid CM coz he still wouldnt have bought a decent CM by then.
Not sure about that. Fergie will have had more than enough time to sit down with Pog.

Is it just me who thinks UEFA could be lenient on any clubs that do end up breaching FFP rules? I don't know, maybe they will enforce the rules - I certainly hope they do - but I just wonder if they'll actually go through with banning teams from the Champions League.
IMO no. But people close to the process say they are going to be very strict.

Not terribly worried. If City go on a run now and dominate the PL as some have predicted I'd expect wages to fall. I mean, at the start of the project City had to throw money at players as there was no promise of success. But first the FA Cup and now the Title starting to look good! I don't think people can seriously say the players are only there for the money.
Wages won't fall at City for a long long time.

When you think somebody like Nasri is on £170k. Most of the players who City will be signing from now on with probably be similar if not better quality to him...in which case they would ask for at least the same as that. Plus since the top tier of wages at the club is in tat £150k-£250k per week bracket...even if new players who are coming to the club for more than money, they won't accept wages which are £100k/£200k a week less than other players in the squad...that is way too large a spread of wages and it doesn't sound like it could work.

The only way I see City's wages falling is if they begin to sign lots of young and unproven players on less lucrative contracts. I don't see that happening to be perfectly honest, quite high risk.

The only way I see wages fallling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom