• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma

Banned
Yep I think Theo has earned his place, done alright for Arsenal this season. Can be infuriating to watch him sometimes but for the most part he has done well.

PaulLFC

Roy is saying he's taking Terry for football reasons. Well if it was for football reasons then Terry wouldn't even be on the fucking plane.

Terry shits himself when he has to defend against a player with a modicum of ball control and pace. He's more like to fall flat on his face then actually be able to chase someone.

Carrick has been in great form but is yet again overlooked and lol Downing,
He also said Ferdinand and Terry's form was considered over a long period of time, while he picked Carroll because of "the sprint at the end of the league" or something like that. Changing his selection criteria when it suits him.

pappe

complaining about walcott? dude gets plenty of goals and assists, it's not his fault that people hate him for being pacey.

People hate him coz he is a headless chicken masquerading as a footballer. Crossing the ball with no specific target in the 18 yard box.

Wilbur

Banned
complaining about walcott? dude gets plenty of goals and assists, it's not his fault that people hate him for being pacey.

I hate him for playing well once every 12 games.

Squad is shite but yeah, to be expected. Looking forward to crashing out against Sweden.

Don't like that City kit

Richards has been first choice more or less all season, and was just dropped just for the last four matches (where he was subbed on in three of them). And that's since Mancini refused to change anyone in the starting eleven.

Milner, for example, has played less than Richards and much so in the last couple of weeks.

I think it's because Mancini is kinda superstitious and was convinced he had found his perfect starting eleven after Tevez came back and City had those big wins. I do believe Mancini is the reason why Johnson and Richards aren't in England squad though, because he didn't play them lately. Same thing with Di Matteo and Sturridge who's been dropped over the past couple months even though he was on fire during the first half of the season under AVB.

Milner's case is different, he's an established England squad member and he would always get in the team.

danwarb

England to do unusually well playing bad football. The comedy of them crashing out would be as nothing if they won it with Hodgson.

I come from an underachieving country and, while we certainly criticise them when the fucking suck, we do not wish for our team's debacle when major tournaments come around. This is a completely foreign concept to me.

This is exactly the kind of concept that the English press, fans and players don't like.

Total failure to adapt to the modern game. Pace and fitness are king. Skill is secondary.

Wilbur

Banned
I come from an underachieving country and, while we certainly criticise them when the fucking suck, we do not wish for our team's debacle when major tournaments come around. This is a completely foreign concept to me.

The vast majority of us don't wish for it, we just expect it. The media and the idiot fans who think we're going to win everything play a part as well.

Salazar

I am happy that Chamberlain made the squad, although I didn't expect him to. He had a great outcoming with the Gunners this season.

Hope he gets a run. Unbearable to watch Wenger refuse to sign experienced players because he says he doesn't want to discourage players like Ox, and then he discourages Ox by cooling him on the bench.

Gerrard has played 33 minutes for England in 19 months. Not much for Liverpool either. Captain.

Ferdinand out for "footballing reasons"...lol okay.

dschalter

This

And also that majority of his goals come out of pure luck and not from his "footballing skills".

they don't come from pure luck, they just come from what people consider to be 'proper', which is silly, if you can create or score goals you're helping significantly, even if they don't look nice or aren't impressive.

PaulLFC

robbie fowler ‏ @Robbie9Fowler
Gutted.... Not even on the standby list #hodgsonout

Robbie
KuGsj.gif

Clegg

Uh guys

Read on twitter that Dortmund have accepted a bid from Arsenal, for Kagawa.

Probably rubbish but it makes me slightly uneasy.

Sanjay

I'd rate Richards over Glen Johnson, but I'm obv a bit biased.

Problem is Glen Johnson is not a defender, hes a winger playing right back. He can't defend at all. Richards always had similar problems too but hes improved over the years and due to the size of him, the raw power and strength hes hard to get past.

the anti-hype game. by talking about how incredibly shit the squad is, people will get excited when england manage to make it out of an easy group.

Like our last easy group..

GQman2121

Banned
I'm shocked that Carroll, Defoe, Downing and Milner are included.

Happy for Chamberlain.

Disappointed that Sturridge is only a reserve.

I also would have liked to see Parker stay on as skipper.

Confirmed, same as above

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

laughing.gif

This squad should be good enough to get out of their group,but...not much further.

Uh guys

Read on twitter that Dortmund have accepted a bid from Arsenal, for Kagawa.

Probably rubbish but it makes me slightly uneasy.
By the same guy who said M'Vila to Arsenal would be announced by now...

Kagawa himself today said he's been in touch with other clubs. He has a decision to make. Think we're in quite a strong position and him coming over here to meet Fergie and Fergie going out to see him play are both positive signs.

Manager

Problem is Glen Johnson is not a defender, hes a winger playing right back. He can't defend at all. Richards always had similar problems too but hes improved over the years and due to the size of him, the raw power and strength hes hard to get past.

He got a bit of slack for his "poor positioning" earlier in here. His problem has always been his concentraiton levels. Mancini has forced him to work much more on that, making him much better positioning wise.

I'm shocked that Carroll, Defoe, Downing and Milner are included.

Milner's main advantage is that he can play both CM and winger, so that's probably why he's in. You can also always count on him giving 100%. Let's say you'd take him out, who would you rather have? Henderson?

(Don't say Carrick, he's more of a Barry/Parker type)

Clegg

By the same guy who said M'Vila to Arsenal would be announced by now...

Kagawa himself today said he's been in touch with other clubs. He has a decision to make. Think we're in quite a strong position and him coming over here to meet Fergie and Fergie going out to see him play are both positive signs.
It's that guy?

So it's probably rubbish then.

I hope

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Genuinely gutted for Fraser Forster. He tweeted earlier about hoping to make the England squad. 50 clean sheets in 91 games, incredible performances against Udinese and Atletico Madrid, yet Jack Butland who played the whole season on loan at Cheltenham in League 2 is picked ahead of him?

Actually hope he leaves now. Any English player with international ambition would be better in League 2 than playing in the Champions League from the SPL it seems.

Carbonox

Genuinely gutted for Fraser Forster. He tweeted earlier about hoping to make the England squad. 50 clean sheets in 91 games, incredible performances against Udinese and Atletico Madrid, yet Jack Butland who played the whole season on loan at Cheltenham in League 2 is picked ahead of him?

Actually hope he leaves now. Any English player with international ambition would be better in League 2 than playing in the Champions League from the SPL it seems.

I agree with you 100%. It's a fucking sham that Forster doesn't get a look-in. He'd be a quality back up to Hart.

Would still love to see Lennon in the team, but he's injured no?

I think Carrick should have been in the team instead of Milner. You don't sit two exact DMs in the middle of the park, Parker and Carrick IMO

Wilbur

Banned

Plays abroad? Can't use him!
Continental style of play? Can't use him!

Woy's Warriors (TM) only play the bravest from these isles (that only play from Manchester downwards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom