• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

Welbeck plays better as a target striker than Carroll. He can actually control the ball, pass and has the pace to join the resulting attack.

You got it the wrong way around, Welbeck likes to roam around and help the midfield build up play while Carroll will be the donkey upfront. Plan, go down the wings and cross Fifa 12 style, guys we got this!

dc89

All of you blasting the Downing selection would you take as a backup left winger instead of him? It's always been a weak spot for England.

I can only think of Adam Johnson, and there's a case to be made there, but at least Downing plays constantly for his side - despite his terrifying stats from this past season.

When Johnson plays as a impact player or for 60 minutes he's usually pretty productive though. Scores goals from outside the area, he terrifies defenders in the box and wins penalties and gets assists.

Ok that's it, not talking about it any more!

pappe

People are crying over Downing being in the squad, but no one talking about Gerrard being in there?? What the flying fuck has Gerrard even done to deserve this call to the national team squad?

You got it the wrong way around, Welbeck likes to roam around and help the midfield build up play while Carroll will be the donkey upfront. Plan, go down the wings and cross Fifa 12 style, guys we got this!

That's his preferred style, but I've seen him push up front and do very well. Surprisingly good at holding the ball up.

Manager

All of you blasting the Downing selection would you take as a backup left winger instead of him? It's always been a weak spot for England.

I can only think of Adam Johnson, and there's a case to be made there, but at least Downing plays constantly for his side - despite his terrifying stats from this past season.

Downing is one of the best impact subs in PL, perfect to throw in.

Not same class from start, but neither is Downing.

Fry

Who gives a toss how old they are? Gerrard has become a shadow of himself while Carrick is still playing high-quality football.

Why can't both play together? Gerrard has been a shadow of himself for many reasons, especially because he's being played in the wrong position around average players.
Gerrard could work well as an attacking midfielder for England.

People are crying over Downing being in the squad, but no one talking about Gerrard being in there?? What the flying fuck has Gerrard even done to deserve this call to the national team squad?

The belief that his talent will come good in his last international tournament. But I agree, it should be a contentious decision.

Empty

he's been shit but to be fair there is a dearth of decent attack minded midfielders with wilshire injured

though we could play like united this season with two deeper central midfielfders (parker and carrick would start if i were in charge)

I think the questions everyone should be asking are 'will he actually be fit enough to go?' and 'can he handle an intense period of games?'

Johnson plays on the right mostly. The Ox can play on the left.

Wes

venison crêpe

He's the only one we can give the Captain's armband to!

I think when Rooney is back for the third game he'll play off Welbeck and Barry will be dropped.

pappe

Why can't both play together? Gerrard has been a shadow of himself for many reasons, especially because he's being played in the wrong position around average players.

The English squad is FULL of average players in the midfield apart from maybe Barry.

Fry

The English squad is FULL of average players in the midfield apart from maybe Barry.

ic5X6C0kjC1Yv.gif

StylusX

With that squad i would play:

------------------------- Hart -------------------------

Johnson ------- Cahill ------ Lescott/Terry----------Cole

--------------------Parker --------------------------

-------------------Gerrard/Barry ------------------

Ox--------------------------------------------- Young

------------Walcott-------Welbeck ------------------

Manager

Ignoring Johnson, even Lennon or Sturridge would make more sense than Downing, even at left wing.

Barry is the definition of average, did you not see him in the last world cup, woeful.

Back then he was asked to do Parker's current job if I remember correctly? Barry plays much better if he has a defensive capable player next to him, like De Jong or in this case Parker. Asking him to do the defensive job alone has never worked.

Oxx

There's not a lot Hodgson can do with the time he has and the players available.

Solid and boring is what we deserve.

Scum

Well, lads. Looks like StokEngland might actually happen!
Oh, and in case anyone has forgotten. England's first game is against France.

ihC0XDVSUMHaf.gif
ihC0XDVSUMHaf.gif

Sanjay

Back then he was asked to do Parker's current job if I remember correctly? Barry plays much better if he has a defensive capable player next to him, like De Jong or in this case Parker. Asking him to do the defensive job alone has never worked.

You think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQdElfeq0c#t=6m22s

Carrick can do both roles really well if you ask me, what you need around Carrick is a passer of the ball ala Scholes which we lack and that's why I think he never gets in for England. Really wanted to see Wilshere and Carrick.

LegoArmo

Walker is injured. But where is Micah Richards, Ferdinand, Michael Carrick? Downing over Sturridge and Lennon? Andy Carroll and Jermain Defoe? Dear God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom