• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibsobxuSJg7Bl6.gif

GorillaJu

Players who would be great additions for us and how we play:

Gaston Ramirez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, and a good back up for Lucas, like Fernando from Porto.

The word is that Raheem Sterling is going to get thrown into the deep end next season, but we could still use one more wide-man that can play on the right.

Clegg

I'd feel sorry for Liverpool if they had actually shown up for the first 60 mins.

The Liverpool was non-existent for the majority of the final.

You're completely wrong on Henderson, he was the one midfielder to show any quality for Liverpool today.

I usually agree with you but gonna have to disagree with this here. Our midfield was utterly shit today. Until Carroll came on to provide support for Suarez, we couldn't even get to Chelsea's line. Hendo inexperienced really showed today because he was really bad, not Spearing bad thou.

Carroll really surprised me today, really played well when he came on. Almost single-handedly got a comeback for us.

madmackem

ITV just gave us confirmation it was over the line

John Terry in post-match interview: "It wasn't over the line. Honestly"

So it was over the line. I told you so

Espn showed the whole of the ball wasnt over the whole of the line. I think with all this tv and so many different views and still cant say one way or the other than the ref on the pitch made the right call.

sohois

Players who would be great additions for us and how we play:

Gaston Ramirez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, and a good back up for Lucas, like Fernando from Porto.

The word is that Raheem Sterling is going to get thrown into the deep end next season, but we could still use one more wide-man that can play on the right.

If both Kuyt & Maxi go, which is likely, then it will leave only Downing & Bellamy as experienced wingers. Given that Downing is pretty awful & Bellamy is an old, injury prone striker then Liverpool definitely need at least 2 new wingers to be brought in as well as Stirling.

GorillaJu

I usually agree with you but gonna have to disagree with this here. Our midfield was utterly shit today. Until Carroll came on to provide support for Suarez, we couldn't even get to Chelsea's line. Hendo inexperienced really showed today because he was really bad, not Spearing bad thou.

Carroll really surprised me today, really played well when he came on. Almost single-handedly got a comeback for us.

I think what Henderson showed is that he can't handle responsibility. Not yet, anyway. He has the quality when he's swinging the ball around to the wings and running into space, but he shouldn't be the furthest forward midfielder.

God, how we miss Lucas.

Espn showed the whole of the ball wasnt over the whole of the line. I think with all this tv and so many different views and still cant say one way or the other than the ref on the pitch made the right call.
the officials definitely made the right call in terms of what they knew. By no means clear.

I'm sure we will get a freeze frame soon enough. The Spurs one looked more over the line than this and that was proven to be just out. So I have my doubts this was fully in.

Yen

"Kenny, did the best team win?"

*does his best to avoid answering the question*

Interviewer: Kenny, how do you assess your performance?
Kenny: shit for 60 minutes, good after etc

*5 more questions*

Interviewer: Kenny, how do you assess your performance?
Kenny: shit for 60 minutes, good after etc

Clegg

Fair enough. The quality of our play in the first half was terrible, but Chelsea were also pretty poor. The real big difference was their lack of Spearing.

Chelsea weren't much better but they did what they had to do in that first half.

I can't see how Spearing can have a future at Liverpool. He might make an ok back-up for when Lucas needs a rest but he's certainly not someone you can depend upon for an entire season.

If Liverpool can actually get Aquilani interested in playing then they might have a decent midfield next season.

GorillaJu

the officials definitely made the right call in terms of what they knew. By no means clear.

I'm sure we will get a freeze frame soon enough. The Spurs one looked more over the line than this and that was proven to be just out. So I have my doubts this was fully in.

The most certain thing is that if Kuyt had just tapped in it when everyone was frozen, thinking it went over, it would have been set in stone. Carroll could have tapped it in too. Even Cech stopped moving and all the Chelsea defenders were stationary.

GorillaJu

Chelsea weren't much better but they did what they had to do in that first half.

I can't see how Spearing can have a future at Liverpool. He might make an ok back-up for when Lucas needs a rest but he's certainly not someone you can depend upon for an entire season.

It's not like he's still 19. He had a long run of games and has been shit in all of them. If we want to be a top club, we simply can't have people like him embarrassing us.

flyover

The most certain thing is that if Kuyt had just tapped in it when everyone was frozen, thinking it went over, it would have been set in stone. Carroll could have tapped it in too. Even Cech stopped moving and all the Chelsea defenders were stationary.

Totally agree.

madmackem

ssshH.png

Looks just past the line to me. Wish they used goal-line tech.

Dosnt look like the whole ball is over the whole of the line to me. Its that close the right call was not to give it. Refs need to be sure to give it the fact we have seen it from loads of angles and some people say goal and some say no shows the right call was made.

panty

Congrats Chelsea, didn't see the match though.

GRANADA: Julio César, Siqueira, Ighalo, Í.López, B.Gómez, Benítez, Jara, Mikel Rico, Martins, Cortés, Moisés.

REAL MADRID: Adán, Carvalho, Sahin, Cristiano, Kaká, Benzema, Granero, Marcelo, Albiol, Varane, Di María.

Funny lineup now when it doesn't matter anymore. Although no Higuain is very sad, I can't understand this.

Kyoufu

The ball is definitely over but the crossbar isn't in line with the goal line, so the linesman didn't give it.

I'll rage if goal-line tech isn't in next season.

GorillaJu

Dosnt look like the whole ball is over the whole of the line to me. Its that close the right call was not to give it. Refs need to be sure to give it the fact we have seen it from loads of angles and some people say goal and some say no shows the right call was made.

Shouldn't even be a debate. Should have been a sensor that went off or didn't and no questions were asked.

Regardless of whether it crossed the line, how is an official supposed to call that? There's no way they can make an informed or confident decision about instances like that. It has taken us, with multiple video angles and gifs, to still not come to a decision. Goal line technology is the only way to solve this satisfactorily.

The bullshit excuse of not implementing technology as it causes discussion isn't really true either. A bunch of guys going "It was over" and another bunch of guys going "It wasn't over" isn't a discussion.

I can understand caution about implementing technology for most decisions because some require some context and interpretation from officials. However in an instance like this where the decision is solely concerned with whether a ball crossed a line then I cant see any real objection or problem, especially at the highest level of competition.

Really all the lack of technology has done is cheapened the game by leaving doubt about the final result. At this point there is no excuse for not having goal line technology.

Regardless congratulations to Chelsea, I feel they played better football for more of the match. Liverpool did well in the last 20 minutes though.

EDIT: made things a little clearer.

Kyoufu

Regardless of whether it crossed the line, how is an official supposed to call that? There's no way they can make an informed or confident decision about instances like that. It has taken us, with multiple video angles and gifs, to still not come to a decision.

The bullshit excuse of not implementing technology as it causes discussion isn't really true either. A bunch of guys going "It was over" and another bunch of guys going "It wasn't over" isn't a discussion.

I can understand caution about implementing technology for most decisions because some require some context and interpretation from officials. However in an instance like this where the decision is solely concerned with whether a ball crossed a line then I cant see any real objection or problem, especially at the highest level of competition.

I hope you're not saying goal-line tech wouldn't solve this....

Please tell me you're not saying this. Please.

GorillaJu

Didn't that happen with the other match and then we got another angle and it wasn't?

You could be right.

Ah well. If the match had ended it how it started, I'd be fuming, but we showed we still have quality are closer to a complete team than many believe. Solid back four, two good strikers, and a great CM. Need to fill out those flanks.

Can't do anything now that it's over, but I feel gutted for Kenny and Andy.

I hope you're not saying goal-line tech wouldn't solve this....

Please tell me you're not saying this. Please.

That's exactly what I wasn't saying. Added a few bits to make it clearer (I'm on my mobile so I tried to keep it short and I was editing before you even replied)

Kyoufu

That's exactly what I wasn't saying. Added a few bits to make it clearer (I'm on my mobile so I tried to keep it short and I was editing before you even replied)

Oh ok.

I definitely see why they didn't give it, but hopefully this puts even more pressure on FIFA/IAF or whatever to implement it once tested.

I am so happy :D I do feel bad for Liverpool even though I really don't think it was over the line. Hope the FA do bring in goal line technology soon! Had such a great day :D

Wilbur

Banned
Can someone explain to me how this isn't in?

Does look in to be fair but then you're relying on a linesman looking at it being no more than an inch over with less than a second between header and save, plus he has to be completely sure to call it. They should have goal line technology for sure but I don't see how the linesman can call it any other way.

Sporting´s starting eleven for the match against Porto :

Rui Patricio; João Pereira, Oneywu, Polga, Insua; Schaars, Elias, Matias Fernandez; Capel, Izmailov and Wolfswinkel.

Time to ruin Porto´s title celebration so we can fight for the 3rd place and CL spot with Braga next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom