• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Final thoughts on the game today: firstly regarding the goal-line debacle I think it is largely irrelevant, Liverpool had 90 minutes to compete & failed, plus even had it gone in it would not have won the match, merely drawn it and it could have gone anywhere from there.

Secondly I think today's biggest failing, one which has been repeated throughout the season, has been the failure to produce any kind of consistent formation. Kenny seems to have been constantly caught between the desire to field the best Liverpool can and trying to force his new signings to work, as well as a baffling refusal to consider anyone for the RW position other than Hendo, Kuyt & Downing. Frequently during the first half we witnessed Gerrard coming right to the defenders to get the ball, Bellamy on the left wing for no reason & Suarez all over the place. There has been no consistency there and it has punished Liverpool.

Finally with a look back to the season I think there are a few things which Kenny should not be blamed for: first, Kuyt's form dropping dramatically and seeing him go from top scorer to 1 goal this season, second, Spearing being an inadequate back-up to Lucas, in any case the lengthy injury was very surprising, plus Spearing had done well anytime he was asked to by Kenny and finally the form of Downing. When he was bought there were certainly people who felt that Liverpool had overspent, had wasted money, yet even the most pessimistic of observers would not have predicted that he would get pretty much zero goals & assists for the season, no one could have forseen he would be so awful.

I suppose it should be said that the previous paragraph does not show my support for Kenny, I still feel Liverpool would be better off moving on.

panty

LETSSS GOOOO

pIJR1.png

Meier

Dosnt look like the whole ball is over the whole of the line to me. Its that close the right call was not to give it. Refs need to be sure to give it the fact we have seen it from loads of angles and some people say goal and some say no shows the right call was made.

I actually disagree. In this case, erring on the side of caution would be assuming it had crossed. That was much more likely than not.

rififi

Congrats Chelsea, didn't see the match though.

GRANADA: Julio César, Siqueira, Ighalo, Í.López, B.Gómez, Benítez, Jara, Mikel Rico, Martins, Cortés, Moisés.

REAL MADRID: Adán, Carvalho, Sahin, Cristiano, Kaká, Benzema, Granero, Marcelo, Albiol, Varane, Di María.

Funny lineup now when it doesn't matter anymore. Although no Higuain is very sad, I can't understand this.

I had no idea Carvalho was fit to play, lol I though he was still injured.
You're right, even if Higuain is leaving, I don't know why Mou wouldn't at least start him in the last two games of his Madrid career. And if he is staying, he should be given more playing time since that is why he wants to leave in the first place.

At least it's good to see Varane and Sahin getting playing time.

panty

Marcelo is captain? :lol

I had no idea Carvalho was fit to play, lol I though he was still injured.
You're right, even if Higuain is leaving, I don't know why Mou wouldn't at least start him in the last two games of his Madrid career. And if he is staying, he should be given more playing time since that is why he wants to leave in the first place.

At least it's good to see Varane and Sahin getting playing time.

Yeah he's fit but I bet he leaves after this season. He has no place in Real, sadly.

Yeap, great chance for Varane and Sahin, agreed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The whole of the ball has to be over the line, that didn't happen. If a single millimetre of the ball is still over the line then isn't a goal. I'm getting texts from Pool fans who don't know the rules.

Kyoufu

The whole of the ball has to be over the line, that didn't happen. If a single millimetre of the ball is still over the line then isn't a goal. I'm getting texts from Pool fans who don't know the rules.

Is there conclusive evidence it wasn't over?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is there conclusive evidence it wasn't over?

There will never be conclusive evidence, but none of the angles seen so far show it fully over the line. Lots of people seem to think that if just a bit of the ball is over, it's a goal.

Not sure if Oneywu starting ahead of Xandão is a good idea but it still feels great to see the big man back on the field. It would be fucking awesome if he scored the winning goal.

I'm still unsure and maybe if we had goal line tech it may prove the whole ball was over. As it is I think the linesman made the right call there.

As an aside I may act like a bit of a cunt at times but you lot made that game 100x more bearable

<3

Great win, very pleased.

Can't believe how poor Liverpool were, absolutely shocking. Wouldn't have known Gerrard or Suarez were on the pitch for most of it.

That said, we controlled the first half but didn't create much, needed to score more, for the way we played it was as if we were already 2/3-0 up. We need to be more clinical put matches to bed.

But its a final, we could have played Basingstoke and no team will probably end up walking through the match.

Disappointed Torres didn't get on but I can see why, I don't think he would have played well against Liverpool today and I wouldn't have taken the risk necessarily.

Defence looked strong, when we have a team like Liverpool who have a lot of talent and skill but don't always show it as a team I think we could easily have been bulldozed by them showing it consistently but thankfully they didn't and we held on. I like under RDM how strong the defence has been, I'm not a fan of having to hang on for such long periods but we've only really done against Barce and Pool in the cups so i'll forgive him.

For Tuesday, I'm expecting a backlash. Carroll will undoubtedly start, as will Torres. Depending on how results go tomorrow I think its important we try and win to capitalise on the other teams dropping points (if they do) tomorrow. Its not over until the whistle on the final day against Blackburn.

Finally, Andy Carroll is going to be a great player.

feel

lol Madrid wtf is going on

and RTPi is not showing the Porto game and my internet is too garbage right this second to stream, sucks..

panty

Ouch Madrid, feel bad for Adan, right through the legs. Varane with a poor tackle. That was just sad.

It was Carvalho :lol

Great save by Adan. The defence is all over the place. This is the reason why Mou don't play Carvalho and Albiol :lol

Kyoufu

Fuck fuck fuck there is no way we're going to beat a billion dollar squad tomorrow with our championship level bench.

Fuck. Would have been so sweet to get 3 points tomorrow.

sneaky77

Sporting takes the lead but as of now they are still relegated, they need Rayo to lose today and next week and them to win both games to get a chance.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
All 20 La Liga teams are about to play, all at the same time.

And that's really how it should be in the last fixtures of the season.

Why Napoli, Lazio and Udinese are playing a few hours before Inter makes no fucking sense whatsoever. (non-financially speaking)

All of the above are fighting for the third spot, and if they all somehow end up winning, it might kill Inter's motivation in their clash with Milan.
ijfvv.gif

Carbonox

Fuck fuck fuck there is no way we're going to beat a billion dollar squad tomorrow with our championship level bench.

Fuck. Would have been so sweet to get 3 points tomorrow.

Swansea's bench is probably league 1 level and they still beat Man City. :p

We'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom